Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Psa do not use motul in your fiesta st

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
The procedure was meant to be used by a technician, with the car level on a lift. As for what you can use to check 1”, you could use almost anything. I believe one guy bent some weedeater line at a 90 angle and trimmed one end to 1”, then used it as a dipstick of sorts, filling and checking until it showed up on the end of the line. In the end, when you fill to 1” below the fill hole, you’ll get roughly 2.2L. As for me, I just pour in 2L and call it good, and I’ve had no issues.
My personal opinion is that it’s less important about what you use, whether it’s stock, Motul, Ravenol, etc; and more important to use the proper amount of it.

As an aside, if your trans has already started to whine, no amount of fluid or brand change will save you. The damage has already been done, and it’s just a matter of time.
Thankfully I did not have any noise.

KKaWing

Does anyone know if you fill it to the "top" aka have it drip out, much much do you have to pull back out?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does anyone know if you fill it to the "top" aka have it drip out, much much do you have to pull back out?
Just fill it with 2 Qts. Of the fluid of your choice....Then Call it a day....its not a Tiptronic transmission from Porsche....then let it buck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Actually, I’m the original poster of that. It was my trans that crapped the bed at 7k. As an update, yes, I’m still running Motul 300, and I’m now at 93k miles with zero issues.
On a side note; the reason that I know the 1.67L fill spec is wrong (besides Ford themselves telling me) is in the transmission fill procedure. It states to fil to 1” below the fill hole. If you were to follow that procedure and then immediately drain the transmission, you’d end up with roughly 2.2L, not 1.67.
How do you contact a Master Tech at Ford? Any numbers or such? Bet they could get us a copy of the TSB.

How do you contact a Master Tech at Ford? Any numbers or such? Bet they could get us a copy of the TSB.
Any decent-sized Ford dealership is likely to have a master or senior master tech in their employ. I called the dealership which warrantied my transmission and wanted to know why they had overfilled it. To which his reply was that instructions came with the new transmission from Ford Engineering to ignore the fill spec limit and to fill according to the procedure. Which came out to a little over 2L. I don’t remember him mentioning a TSB on it, but that doesn’t surprise me. I work for a major automotive supplier and these types of “engineering directives” aren’t uncommon. Like us, I’m sure that Ford and Getrag has warranty engineers who’s purpose is to investigate root causes of warranty returns and insert countermeasures as needed. I don’t know the percentage of transmission bearing failures, but seeing as how it isn’t a safety critical situation and it’s such low volume, I doubt a TSB will be issued.

At the end of the day, it’s your car. If you want to stick with the 1.67L/150,000 mile fluid lifespan, then great. You’re doing what you’re told to do by Ford. If you wanna fill according to the procedure, which means 2L, then also great. You’re also doing what you’re told to do by Ford. I’m not here to tell you what’s right or wrong, I’m simply telling you my experience with my car. Considering I lost my first 1.67L-filled trans at 6k with an all stock setup, and I have 83,000 miles on my 2L-filled (by Ford) 2nd trans, I’ll be sticking with 2L. Especially considering most of my 2nd transmission’s life has been spent coping with 300+whp. It’s just my opinion tho.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Any decent-sized Ford dealership is likely to have a master or senior master tech in their employ. I called the dealership which warrantied my transmission and wanted to know why they had overfilled it. To which his reply was that instructions came with the new transmission from Ford Engineering to ignore the fill spec limit and to fill according to the procedure. Which came out to a little over 2L. I don’t remember him mentioning a TSB on it, but that doesn’t surprise me. I work for a major automotive supplier and these types of “engineering directives” aren’t uncommon. Like us, I’m sure that Ford and Getrag has warranty engineers who’s purpose is to investigate root causes of warranty returns and insert countermeasures as needed. I don’t know the percentage of transmission bearing failures, but seeing as how it isn’t a safety critical situation and it’s such low volume, I doubt a TSB will be issued.

At the end of the day, it’s your car. If you want to stick with the 1.67L/150,000 mile fluid lifespan, then great. You’re doing what you’re told to do by Ford. If you wanna fill according to the procedure, which means 2L, then also great. You’re also doing what you’re told to do by Ford. I’m not here to tell you what’s right or wrong, I’m simply telling you my experience with my car. Considering I lost my first 1.67L-filled trans at 6k with an all stock setup, and I have 83,000 miles on my 2L-filled (by Ford) 2nd trans, I’ll be sticking with 2L. Especially considering most of my 2nd transmission’s life has been spent coping with 300+whp. It’s just my opinion tho.
Miss trouble....how in the Sam hell do you have 93k on your FiST already? I remember when you joined! That's totally cray cray!

Last edited:
Miss trouble....how in the Sam hell do you have 93k on your FiST already? I remember when you joined! That's totally cray cray!

Cuz I’m gangsta! Lol!

Seriously tho, I drive a 65mile daily round trip to work and back, and I work 6 days a week most of the time. Plus, factor in drives to car events in Dallas, which is 1.5hrs one way, cruises, etc. it all adds up.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Focus on this part.

On a side note; the reason that I know the 1.67L fill spec is wrong (besides Ford themselves telling me) is in the transmission fill procedure. It states to fill to 1” below the fill hole. If you were to follow that procedure and then immediately drain the transmission, you’d end up with roughly 2.2L, not 1.67.
You can't go wrong here if you follow the factory service manual's method of filling the gearbox. It won't really matter what the "spec" volume number is.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Cuz I’m gangsta! Lol!

Seriously tho, I drive a 65mile daily round trip to work and back, and I work 6 days a week most of the time. Plus, factor in drives to car events in Dallas, which is 1.5hrs one way, cruises, etc. it all adds up.
Mines a 15 ...just turned 50k...and I've driven to the Keys in Fl from Mn....I thought I put miles on mine....cripes! Keep on rocking in the free world!

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The procedure was meant to be used by a technician, with the car level on a lift. As for what you can use to check 1”, you could use almost anything. I believe one guy bent some weedeater line at a 90 angle and trimmed one end to 1”, then used it as a dipstick of sorts, filling and checking until it showed up on the end of the line. In the end, when you fill to 1” below the fill hole, you’ll get roughly 2.2L. As for me, I just pour in 2L and call it good, and I’ve had no issues.
My personal opinion is that it’s less important about what you use, whether it’s stock, Motul, Ravenol, etc; and more important to use the proper amount of it.

As an aside, if your trans has already started to whine, no amount of fluid or brand change will save you. The damage has already been done, and it’s just a matter of time.
Agree that the amount is most important, can't agree that once the whine starts then the damage is done, I noticed mine started whining a bit since pretty much brand new but since I changed it out with a full 2L at 12k miles it fixed it, period. In other words, a mild whine when near new may be literally from being low on fluid, so taking care of it right away is the best thing to do.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club

I'm sorry I thought you talked to FoMoCo not the dealer.........still looking for something from Ford saying the fill level is incorrect in our cars. I'm glad things worked out well for you. The dealer is not "Ford" they are a Ford authorized Dealership. When you say you spoke with "Ford" that would imply an actual Ford employee. That is what is missing in this picture, I was sure you talked to a dealer "tech" certainly not Ford. Thanks for your input.

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #134
Mines a 15 ...just turned 50k...and I've driven to the Keys in Fl from Mn....I thought I put miles on mine....cripes! Keep on rocking in the free world!

I have a 17 that is five months from being two years old....just did my 80k oil change today

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Replaced mine OEM with Ravenol. We'll see.
1.6L out (and I had the right side on a jack, with the left side wheel off and lowered on another jack!); 1.95L in. Not that I had any issues, no shavings came out.

2015, 72k miles. Orange.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Replaced mine OEM with Ravenol. We'll see.
1.6L out (and I had the right side on a jack, with the left side wheel off and lowered on another jack!); 1.95L in. Not that I had any issues, no shavings came out.

2015, 72k miles. Orange.
Most of the shavings stick to the magnet inside, but still good to get the FF out, imo.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I'm sorry I thought you talked to FoMoCo not the dealer.........still looking for something from Ford saying the fill level is incorrect in our cars. I'm glad things worked out well for you. The dealer is not "Ford" they are a Ford authorized Dealership. When you say you spoke with "Ford" that would imply an actual Ford employee. That is what is missing in this picture, I was sure you talked to a dealer "tech" certainly not Ford. Thanks for your input.
that instructions came with the new transmission from Ford Engineering to ignore the fill spec limit and to fill according to the procedure

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
that instructions came with the new transmission from Ford Engineering to ignore the fill spec limit and to fill according to the procedure

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
Does anyone know if or when Ford started filling the transmissions at the factory with the higher two-liter amount of transmission fluid? My '16 is on the factory fill and it shifts very smoothly, the transmission feels great. I've been driving nothing but manual transmissions my whole life, including a number of Hondas which generally have great transmissions, and this one feels as good or better to me.

Out of curiosity I rechecked the transmission fluid spec in the ST manual for my '16, it does say 1.67 liters. Then I looked on the Ford owner site at the ST manual for a '19, and it doesn't list any specs for transmission fluid, nothing on quantity or type.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Does anyone know if or when Ford started filling the transmissions at the factory with the higher two-liter amount of transmission fluid? My '16 is on the factory fill and it shifts very smoothly, the transmission feels great. I've been driving nothing but manual transmissions my whole life, including a number of Hondas which generally have great transmissions, and this one feels as good or better to me.
My '17 had 1.67 liters.
Thing is, the factory is going by a number on the assembly line. My guess is a hand held thing metered to 1.67 liters injecting the oil as it passes by.
It is not actually checked in relation to everything like the factory service manual, which actually uses physical levels in relation to the inside of the trans and where the gears are located in relation to the fluid.
I would trust the fsm FAR more than what a spec number is, since it's an actual metering of the fluid in relation to the moving parts.

Maybe other people can comment on what their ff amounted to. Maybe the 18+ has more....

When I do the ravenol, I will get a scope camera in there and see how much the gears are sitting in the fluid.

As an fyi, the fluid should not be above the axis of the gears. That is what I read online, so don't hold me to that.