Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

No GPS signal. Suggestions before I go to the dealer?

Getting this message on MFT.

The GPS does not have signal as shown by the little red x over GPS on the nav screen (not pictured). Also you can see there is no clock or compass info. I went into diagnostic mode and there were no numbers on the screen except lat and long and they were exactly the same at 1067.666... My best guess is that the gps module is defective and or disconnected. I don't know where the module is located so I cannot check the connection. Any thoughts or advice.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
The module is the thing behind the mirror. Connection is in the dash. If under warranty have them wrestle with it. Not worth the hassle to rip the dash apart yourself.

OP
McPilot
Thread Starter #3
What if I told you that there is nothing behind the mirror? Could the PO have stolen the gps module?

OP
McPilot
Thread Starter #5
Window sticker not released yet. My understanding was that all cars came with gps, just not directions. I also have the sd card and the maps work fine. Just no GPS/compass signal so it doesn't know where I am.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Hmm wonder if this is a used vehicle maybe the windscreen/windshield was replace and the install forgot to place the gps antenna back.

OP
McPilot
Thread Starter #7
That's probably a more likely scenario. I think I'll just take it in under warranty and see what comes up. Hopefully not too much $$$ for a replacement if that is the case.

That's probably a more likely scenario. I think I'll just take it in under warranty and see what comes up. Hopefully not too much $$$ for a replacement if that is the case.
Hi McPilot,

The NO GPS symbol indicates that insufficient GPS-satellite signals are available for accurate map positioning. If you see this icon continuously, and you're not in a poor GPS-access area, this likely means an issue has occurred. You can try a master reset; however, I think the dealer is in the best position to assist: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...h/settings/how-to-perform-a-master-reset.html Keep me posted.

Shaay

OP
McPilot
Thread Starter #10
Hey, thanks for chiming in,
Master reset was the first thing I tried. I went into diagnostic mode myself and there is basically no signal from the GPS module. It's not just getting bad signal, there are no numbers coming up in the GPS screen. Latitude and longitude are both there but they are exactly the same at like 1067.666... I called a local dealer and they told me I had to wait a week just to get the problem diagnosed and I'd have to leave the car with them for at least a day if not longer. I need my car right now, so I may have to wait until I have more time at home. We will see.

Also do you know where the GPS module is located in the 2015 models? Is there supposed to be a box behind the rearview mirror? Is that only for cars with nav or all cars?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Hey, thanks for chiming in,
Master reset was the first thing I tried. I went into diagnostic mode myself and there is basically no signal from the GPS module. It's not just getting bad signal, there are no numbers coming up in the GPS screen. Latitude and longitude are both there but they are exactly the same at like 1067.666... I called a local dealer and they told me I had to wait a week just to get the problem diagnosed and I'd have to leave the car with them for at least a day if not longer. I need my car right now, so I may have to wait until I have more time at home. We will see.

Also do you know where the GPS module is located in the 2015 models? Is there supposed to be a box behind the rearview mirror? Is that only for cars with nav or all cars?
antenna is the blox on the passenger side behind the mirror. I also have a 2015.

OP
McPilot
Thread Starter #12
Ok now I'm more confused. Is that auto dimming mirror an option on STs? I just have a plain mirror and no box in the windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Ok now I'm more confused. Is that auto dimming mirror an option on STs? I just have a plain mirror and no box in the windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No the auto dimming is not standard. need to follow my build thread I also have a Ford shark fin antenna.

So no box means no gps.

OP
McPilot
Thread Starter #14
Ok. Thanks for clarifying. That's a super useful upgrade. I wished they came with an auto dimming mirror, seems like a simple thing. My stripped down Subaru had one.

After a number of google searches, I came across this thread
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/11738-Windshield-replacement

Based on the first post, I assume my windshield has been replaced without a GPS sensor attached. Anyone know where I could just order the OEM part? Part Number? I really hate to have to go through the dealer when there is a ~0% chance that I won't have to pay out of pocket for diagnosis, the part, and installation. I'd rather just buy the part, and stick it up there myself and not have to wait a week to even get it looked at.

OP
McPilot
Thread Starter #15
Also just want to make sure I'm not totally confused and barking up the wrong tree. My understanding is that all Fiesta STs came with MFT and they all have a GPS module that can tell you where you are. The nav upgrade allowed you to use MFT to get directions whereas without nav you could only see where you are currently on the map.

If this understanding is wrong and my car is not supposed to have a GPS, let me know.

The reasons I believe my car is equipped with nav are as follows.
1. I got a message on saying NAV fault as shown in the first post.
2. I have the maps SD card (Does everyone have this)?
3. I can enter destinations on MFT and it tries to calculate a route but fails and presents the aforementioned error message.
4. The dealer said it had NAV

I cannot get the window sticker yet to confirm the NAV option.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
get a hold of [MENTION=5890]Steve@Tasca[/MENTION] either via PM on this forum of via email. He can look up you car based on the VIN and explain what it does or does not have and the part numbers for certain items.

BTW here is the link to how I installed the mirror with the garage door opener.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6398-Autodimming-mirror-with-Homelink

OP
McPilot
Thread Starter #19
So. After gathering all this info, I decided to poke around in my car to see what was going on.

No GPS data at all

No box behind the mirror

Non FoMoCo windshield

After poking around in the headliner I found a cable!

I believe all I will need is a new GPS antenna and hopefully everything should work. I believe this is the part (#BE8Z10E893A). Can anyone confirm that the plug I found goes to this part?
http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/fies...antenna-and-radio-scat/?part_name=gps-antenna

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Steve from Tasha can. You can even go on the tasca parts website plop the part number you have and see if it is for you model car.

Lol seem you already did the website.