Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Update Sync3 to v2.2 for navigation and non-navigation units - AndroidAuto and AppleCarPlay (download links inside)

Got my USB module yesterday. I did the software update earlier this week. Swapped the modules and Apple CarPlay started. Opened Maps and it works, cool. I have a non-nav unit. Now it's got navigation. Thanks for all the info and help. Probably would have cost close to $300 or more to have the dealer do this.
Sync 3 non-nav

Try switching the USB port that the phone is plugged in to. Mine only worked when plugged into one of the 2 ports. And make sure you have the right version of Android, older versions will not work.
I have tried both of my USB ports, both charge my phone no problem, but neither of them change anything when it comes to AA. I also do have the most updated Android OS available. Any other thoughts?
Can anyone post a video of there car start up with this update and AA running?

Make this simpler for people.

Post your Sync Version
Year of car
Nav / Non Nav

Post results.

I have a 2016 Fiesta ST with Nav and I will go attempt this. If I brick it then #swag #yolo.... Let me check it out hahaha

Make this simpler for people.

Post your Sync Version
Year of car
Nav / Non Nav

Post results.

I have a 2016 Fiesta ST with Nav and I will go attempt this. If I brick it then #swag #yolo.... Let me check it out hahaha
Sync v1 -> v2.2
2016 Fiesta ST without nav

Updated via USB drive prepared on a Mac (formatted exFat MBR and removing any .files the Finder left on the drive), worked exactly as described.

Replaced USB hub module with Lincoln version of updated module, CarPlay works as expected.

Bluedrank

I have tried both of my USB ports, both charge my phone no problem, but neither of them change anything when it comes to AA. I also do have the most updated Android OS available. Any other thoughts?
I did notice that if I start the car with the phone plugged intended it won't show the Android auto icon on the sync screen. Once I gave the car about 10 seconds to finish loading stuff and connect via Bluetooth, then I can plug the phone in and the icon will pop up on the bottom of the screen.

If you enable the Android auto option in the sync settings, you won't need to touch the phone at all once it's plugged in. Instead, you hit the Android auto icon on the sync screen and it loads Android auto on the phone for you.

TRU

Sync v1 -> v2.2
2016 Fiesta ST without nav

Updated via USB drive prepared on a Mac (formatted exFat MBR and removing any .files the Finder left on the drive), worked exactly as described.

Replaced USB hub module with Lincoln version of updated module, CarPlay works as expected.
so 1.0 wont work with carplay?

I've heard plenty of people in here saying that they swapped to a different microusb cable and it worked. Try using the cable that came with your phone or any other you have around if you haven't already.

I know you previously mentioned having the Android Auto app, so that answers my other question of meeting the minimum requirements. For anyone else, the Android Auto app requires Android 5.0, so if you can install that app (without any sideloading trickery) your phone is up to date enough.

My question is if this is supposed to be supported in 2016 Fiesta ST's with Sync 3. Are they going to update our USB hubs or do you have to pay for something that should of been included in the car?

Are 2016 Fiesta ST's already working with Android Auto and Apple Car Play

Intuit

3000 Post Club
This is Apple's fault for requiring special hardware when other phone manufacturers have no problem providing equal functionality over what is essentially standard hardware. This is yet another "we refuse to follow industry standards and force our customers to buy 20 adapters (read: everything) directly from us or a PPPP (potentially-patent-paying-partner)" game. Given their history, find it interesting that they're putting USB-C on some of their laptops. But if not already, they'll probably eventually require that some proprietary chip be installed before their equipment will accept a charge from an otherwise standard device.

Personally not interested in plugging my phone up every time I pop in the car.

Intel, Microsoft and Linux-based devices including Amazon & Google already have some level of support for MiraCast wireless display standards. (Apple though Linux/BSD-based, refuses because they want everyone to pay big bucks for their proprietary AirPlay solutions.) If BlueTooth had the bandwidth everyone would probably use that standard but it doesn't. So I think they use the WiFi adapter to multi-point connect.

Hopefully they're working on Wireless Display and are using wired as a quick stepping stone.

Bluedrank

My question is if this is supposed to be supported in 2016 Fiesta ST's with Sync 3. Are they going to update our USB hubs or do you have to pay for something that should of been included in the car?

Are 2016 Fiesta ST's already working with Android Auto and Apple Car Play
Have you read this thread at all?

Updated on Friday for AA and it works as described. Have the non-nav unit. Took about 15 minutes on part 1 and 10 minutes for part 2. I was going to wait until the Ford released the update, but my impatience got the best of me. Still think it's ridiculous that Ford is taking this long to get it out. It's on the Lincoln's, but that's it thus far.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If you've worked with even simple software code you'll know, there are always bugs, no matter how careful you are. Here we're talking about complex interactive code which is based on recently introduced standards that are still being actively updated and developed. No matter how careful you are about testing every branch of code there are still problems to be worked out.

I'd rather them take their time and get it 99.1% right vs release something that is buggy or worse, unstable. Only time and a massive test bed can locate problems.

Regardless of the product I seem to have a knack for eventually running into them.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/11609-Set-Off-the-Alarm
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/11783-SYNC-3-BlueTooth-Driver-Stack-Crashes

so jealous of all you carplay folks. that walt sweeney ford place i think sold me a module that wasn't actually in stock. They sent me a tracking number 8 days ago and it hasn't so much as been picked up by USPS. I knew I was going to get impatient and order multiple of these to race them to my apartment.

I got first update to work but the second one on the same USB drive says device connected and shows up as a music device but no update.