Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ethanol Content Gauge - suggestion and feeler thread

Trader history for Jason@dizzytuning (0)

OP
J
Thread Starter #21
I have a 2017 non-moonroof car and there is cubby hole in front of the shifter that is perfect to hold a wallet which I would not want to give up.
If your wallet stays there, then you’re not going fast enough!!
In all seriousness, my thought would be to retain some of the pocket still, but utilize a portion of it for the gauge.

OP
J
Thread Starter #22
Jason,

You do know the interior shot you have is for a European 2 door, right?

Ours has more room in the cubby on the dash plus the pocket the aux power is in in front of the console cup holders.
Yes, I am aware thanks. But this photo had good quality and gives you the idea of what I was referring to. :)

Thanks for all the input so far guys! Parts are arriving in to build the first kit. I will test it out on the shop car, and start working on pricing.

The Bluetooth option did come to mind, but I wasn’t tooo keen on the idea as it’s kinda dangerous to be looking at your phone while driving. Lol. At a stop would be more ideal. But since there does seem to be some interest, I would love to offer both, so everyone is happy!

One other note, is that 14-15 vehicles have a different fuel line than 16-17 vehicles (at least that’s what I have found so far in my research). It would be very helpful to me, if you guys could post some photos of your fuel line from the firewall and list the year of your vehicle. That would help me in determining what’s parts changed, and when.
I'll get you the picture of a 14 today.

Reason I bring up bluetooth is this basically because once you fill up on E85 and the fuel runs through the lines, it's going to stay more or less constant throughout that tank of gas. Meaning it really only takes one look when you're at home or whatever to verify content. As far as ease of use, it's nice to not have to do any interior wiring. With a bluetooth dongle you only need:

+12V or +5V can be supplied by an Add-on fuse from the fuse box that's already in the engine bay (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QRSBW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Chassis ground that can be supplied by tons of spots in the engine bay

Basically it makes it so there's absolutely no spicing, sodering, or crimping needed. Just plug and play for the installer.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Bluetooth would be my preference as well. It only needs to be seen once or twice after fill up.

brbauer2

One other note, is that 14-15 vehicles have a different fuel line than 16-17 vehicles (at least that’s what I have found so far in my research). It would be very helpful to me, if you guys could post some photos of your fuel line from the firewall and list the year of your vehicle. That would help me in determining what’s parts changed, and when.
Are you looking into building the sensor that fits on top of the fuel pump?
Found the thread with the install of this. Should take a look at it. Shouldn't have to worry about different fuel lines in the engine bay then, won't have to struggle getting wires through the firewall, and there's several more places behind the glovebox to tap into for ingition power compared to the engine bay.

Attachments

OP
J
Thread Starter #28
Found the thread with the install of this. Should take a look at it. Shouldn't have to worry about different fuel lines in the engine bay then, won't have to struggle getting wires through the firewall, and there's several more places behind the glovebox to tap into for ingition power compared to the engine bay.
That’s an interesting install. I’m not a fan of the rubber line with clamps though. Great for the DIY mechanic, but not something I will offer under my name. lol. I plan to include all stainless -6AN lines and fittings to make it a plug and play install. Will most likely be using the GM sensor, and making a custom mount for the Fiesta as well.

OP
J
Thread Starter #29
Oh, and I would like to keep the sensor under the hood, so if I do decide to use the fuel temperature function of the sensor, it will be much closer to actual temps entering the engine.

koozy

3000 Post Club
That’s an interesting install. I’m not a fan of the rubber line with clamps though. Great for the DIY mechanic, but not something I will offer under my name. lol. I plan to include all stainless -6AN lines and fittings to make it a plug and play install. Will most likely be using the GM sensor, and making a custom mount for the Fiesta as well.
Glad you see it like I do, if not I'd be questioning your decision making for tuning LOL. While that install may work, but it's too sketchy and not safe for me personally.

brbauer2

Having never done fuel line work, what about the hose/clamp combo is not ideal if they are made for that purpose.?

koozy

3000 Post Club
here's photos of the connections of a 2014MY at the firewall and HP fuel pump with the Russell quick disconnects on them already.

OP
J
Thread Starter #36
Is this done yet? I’m ready to buy it! ...just kidding. I’ll be patient.
Haha, your patience would be much appreciated.

I am anticipating roughly 6-8 weeks before launch. I will also be looking for beta testers to try the product out (at least a few 14-15 vehicles, and the same for 16-17 vehicles). I will also be offering a pre-sale at a discounted price, to lock in the first 10 sales. So keep an eye out for that!

I am anticipating roughly 6-8 weeks before launch. I will also be looking for beta testers to try the product out (at least a few 14-15 vehicles, and the same for 16-17 vehicles). I will also be offering a pre-sale at a discounted price, to lock in the first 10 sales. So keep an eye out for that!
Nice! Looking forward to seeing what you end up with

Ill be your beta tester for '16

redmoe

Hey Jason how much variation in the mix can the tune typically compensate for? I am thinking about trying a e30 but don’t want to mess with testing the fuel mix every time.