Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New for 2018 Garrett G2560R

I’d LOVE to here your opinion between the two. The only reason I’m considering the MRX over the X47 is long term reliability. My gut tells me the MRX will handle heavy track use better. If it’s super laggy, I’ll just stay stock and run 93 and e30 tunes. This new turbo looks to be promising. I don’t think I “need” 400hp but I’ll drive the shit out of it.
I’ll let you know for sure! I’ve got almost 7K hard miles on my X47R no issues what so ever I just ran across a deal on the MRX and thought why not. I have heard that the MRX is actually just a ATP2554 with a chinese billet wheel in it. [emoji23] We will see though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I’m actually switching from an X47R to an MRX is about a week just to see the difference.

I’ll let you know for sure! I’ve got almost 7K hard miles on my X47R no issues what so ever I just ran across a deal on the MRX and thought why not. I have heard that the MRX is actually just a ATP2554 with a chinese billet wheel in it. [emoji23] We will see though.

It’s a “genuine Garrett GT2554R” according to Mountune

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The only reason I’m considering the MRX over the X47 is long term reliability.
The above is precisely why I would consider the new Garretts over all else out there currently, whether they produce MUCH more power than these new snails, OR even much less. [wink]

I cannot be changing out turbo setups like socks, the way some of the much more fortunate ($$$$$) on here are able to do so often. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As a caveat to all of this “too much power” discussion, I’d like to add the following: 1.) a 400whp isn’t 400whp all the time; and 2.) you don’t have to have the gas pedal to the floor at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ABSOLUTELY! [thumb]

But, that being said, I'd still rather have even the potential for that much power to be going to the driven wheels with the weight transferring ONTO them, vs. OFF OF them, 6 second Civics notwithstanding (some of us do NOT want to drive around on the street with full drag race suspension setups on our rides, and the total handling detriments involved in those setups). ;)

Again, yup, even though it will NEVER happen, even in Europe/R.O.W., a real, true AWD Fiesta RS would be IDEAL, and be able to handle (and USE!) pretty much anything that could be thrown at it. [:(]

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I’d LOVE to here your opinion between the two. The only reason I’m considering the MRX over the X47 is long term reliability. My gut tells me the MRX will handle heavy track use better. If it’s super laggy, I’ll just stay stock and run 93 and e30 tunes. This new turbo looks to be promising. I don’t think I “need” 400hp but I’ll drive the shit out of it.
I would also love to hear the comparison.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
I’m actually switching from an X47R to an MRX is about a week just to see the difference.

I’m interested in the MRX x47 comparo thread!
I would also love to hear the comparison.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Back a few months ago, one member who had a MRX and I did some friendly log-swapping and compared on virtual dyno. We intended to start a thread and post detailed information, but never got around to it because he moved and changed jobs and life got crazy for both of us and we never got all the data together. The hope was to get multiple tunes on different octanes and then dyno both cars and post results, discuss timing and boost and all the good stuff.

I do have one V-dyno chart that we did make from that though, but this is it. It's his 92 octane tune (Randy aka Mountune) and my 93 octane tune (Adam aka Tune+). It's not the best though, we're in entirely different climates (Spokane WA vs. Augusta GA) with different octanes and lots of other variables; he's catless, I'm catted. Different mod choices though the basics are the same.

This picture really shows a good representation of our discussions - his car felt more laggy but powerful when it finally kicked, but tapered off before redline; mine felt much quicker to spool and the power was more linear, keeping till near redline. The curves show it all. I think considering that he's catless, were we to have the same hardware the cars would put out about the same power on the same octane.

All in all I think they're both fine choices, it's all about how you want the car to feel.

Hosted on Fotki

Anyhow hope this helps, sorry to derail thread.

felopr

also, if he had the original mrx wastegate, they where saying that it was tapering off by redline,so that didnt help either

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So? Did anyone hear back from Garrett? Or has no one actually contacted them like I thought I read previously?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #51
So? Did anyone hear back from Garrett? Or has no one actually contacted them like I thought I read previously?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
edit:

What that one rep told me didn't make sense, so I reached out via phone again. They have a limited supply of the turbo's and don't even have all the housing's yet. He had a asian accent, but I didn't get his name, however he said he'd talk to the development team about my concerns for G2560R kit.

Last edited:
So folks in the miata turbo community arent nearly as excited about this turbo as we are. Compared to the slightly larger EFR6258, I dont think its going to be able to compete.

I think the EFR is going to outperform in terms of both spool and power. But really its just speculation until someone bites the bullet. I really am excited to see this thing but I dont even get why they offer it in some of the configs.. such low AR housings kind of defeats the purpose of a 550HP turbo.

After giving this a good look:

Wheel sizes are REALLY close to gen 2 2860. Small side of each wheel is 2mm bigger (turbine exducer and compressor inducer).

The main thing that sticks out to me is the efficiency islands are alot higher on the g25 (peak 80% vs 73%). Thats pretty big. Seems like they are taking off of EFR with a new turbine wheel material that is lighter and more efficient. The g25 is still hanging out around peak eff. in the 40lb/min + areas whereas the 2860 starts to drop off.

IDK if this turbo is the answer to all of our problems. For those looking for 300-375hp, I don't think there will be a big difference between the two. If your wanting to stay in this size turbo and push 400+, I think the difference will start to become greater.

Also as meowoosh said, the availability of the 0.49 housing should make the spool awesome, but hurt the top end pretty bad. I can't see 550hp being made with a 0.49 housing.

I'd love to get one in my hands and test it, but too much going on right now.

felopr

The fiesta st would never reach the 550hp range without full engine built and some cams in the mix also, so the 0.49 ar is great for our platform, right?