Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are VW GTi’s reliable?

Hello all, might as well make this my first post on here.

I'm actually getting rid of my Audi A3 (basically same thing as MKV GTI) for very likely a Fiesta ST in the next few days. My A3 with the 2.0T engine and APR stage 2 software has been a great car. Owned it from 70k to 189k currently. It's never stranded me but suffers from lots of systems starting to die at this point like ABS computer and other random annoying things.

If you want a bigger car I would vote GTI over Focus even if a little more money. I personally really want into a Fiesta ST because they weigh so little. You can add power to anything, but removing real weight is always hard to do.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Hello all, might as well make this my first post on here.
How DARE you.
To come to this forum and disregard tradition.
To announce your first post in other than the New Member Introduction area.

(just kidding)

This is not an official welcome but welcome none the less.

Dave

I traded in my Mk7 GTI for a FiST. Yes, the interior and overall build quality of the GTI is simply in another league. The Fiesta can't compare in that regard. However, the GTI imo was an absolute bore to drive. I tried all sorts of modifications in an attempt to make it more exciting, but eventually came to the conclusion that I can't reasonably re-engineer that car into something it wasn't intended to be. For me, everything about it was too tame and the driving experience too isolated. The steering, while precise, was numb. The chassis, while comfortable, was also numb. I think MotorTrend described the GTI best when they called it a FWD GT car, that's precisely what it is.

Even after upgrading the GTI with sticky tires and light wheels, a big rear sway bar, poly front bushings, exhaust, front strut bar, intake, tune and dogbone insert, my stock Fiesta ST is still more fun to drive. It's hard to say which handles better though. With the GTI it felt like I could do anything in that car and it would never bite me. Whereas with the FiST while it feels lighter and more tossable, it's not as planted. It takes more skill to drive it fast which is part of the reason why it's more fun.

I did not have reliability issues with the GTI after owning it for two years. Whereas I'm already very leery of the Fiesta holding up long term.

So, depends on what you're really after.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
............ my stock Fiesta ST is still more fun to drive. It's hard to say which handles better though. With the GTI it felt like I could do anything in that car and it would never bite me. Whereas with the FiST while it feels lighter and more tossable, it's not as planted. It takes more skill to drive it fast ...................
Damn nannies can't brake out of an aggressive corner or on a directional change worth two sh*ts. Even though the tires never break traction the car feels like it's all over the place. Stiffer suspension would help. Does well braking into a corner. Be nice to turn that crap off without pulling the ABS fuse.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was dubbin for a looooong time. Four Mk4 Jettas. One Mk4 R32. One B6 Audi A4. One MkV Jetta my son bought used that blew it's engine 2 months after he bought it...Each car gave me headaches. I loved them each but eventually wrenchin all the time just wore me down. I couldn't ever just enjoy driving cause there was ALWAYS something rattling or just not feeling right. The parts are expensive and the way they go about building cars is overly complex. It's as if they've got something to prove about how super smart they are but end up with cars that are difficult to work on. I got sick of it. I will eventually finish my dream of a BJS swap into a mk4 jetta but that'll be like a retirement project car kinda thing...never again a DD

We just bought a FoST3 with every single option for my wife and THAT is a comfy, quick, well built car for about 27k out the door. I'll take her FoST over a new GTI any day. My lease is up in a few weeks so I was tempted to trade the FiST for another FoST3 but after driving hers for a couple days it was too comfy. I preferred my go cart :) When i get the itch for some comfort cruising I just take her car. That ST3 package with the CF trim is more luxury than our neighbors entry level 3 series BMW. It's that nice.

maybe I'm getting old. but when I sit in a FoST vs. GTi that interior difference is enough. the GTi is the one to have. the FiST is just special because nothing competes with it in the US.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
............. just bought a FoST3 with every single option for my wife and THAT is a comfy, quick, well built car for about 27k out the door. I'll take her FoST over a new GTI any day. My lease is up in a few weeks so I was tempted to trade the FiST for another FoST3 but after driving hers for a couple days it was too comfy. I preferred my go cart :) When i get the itch for some comfort cruising I just take her car. That ST3 package with the CF trim is more luxury than our neighbors entry level 3 series BMW. It's that nice.
Sounds like quite an advertisement. If it were possible to purchase (not lease) a new fully loaded FoST for 27k out the door....

No.

My first car mk3 Jetta VR6. Bought 2009 with 141k miles. Lost in 2012 with 184k.

It needed new coilpack (twice), exhaust, catalytic converter, suspension, subframe, brakes, the whole nine yards. It got all of it too..

What ultimately killed it was front strut tower rust damage. What a shame. #rust #carCancer

Last edited:

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sounds like quite an advertisement. If it were possible to purchase (not lease) a new fully loaded FoST for 27k out the door....
yea def a lease. try to get 27 on a fully loaded GTI. but VW interiors are far superior to Ford. But the FoST does have a heated steering wheel [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk