Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jo's track Fiesta ST180

Hello, I'm Jo from Luxembourg. Since 2014, I did about 60 laps on the Nordschleife with my ST. In November 2015, I started to rebuild my daily car to a proper track car.

After striping the whole interior, first I wasn't sure if I should build in a bolted or a welded 6 point cage. I decided to build in a welded 6 point cage (25CrMo4 steel) from STAHLUS Rennsportzellen in Germany. Mid 2015, I got my car back and started rebuilding the car step by step on my own.

After a long way, with many setbacks and detours, the car is nearly ready for its first rollout. But there is still a lot to do until the car is completely finished and road legal.

Spec:

Interior:
- 6 point welded cage (25CrMo4 steel)
- interior painted in RAL 9007
- CORBEAU Pro Series seats
- SCHROTH Profi III ASM harness
- Carbon driver footrest
- Steel passenger footrest
- M-SPORT door cards (Fiesta R2T)
- flocked dashboard (still to do)
- AIM MXS 1.2 Strada Dashboard (still to do)

Outside:
- ST XTA suspension is going to replaced by a KW Competition 3way on FA and 2way an RA
- DREXLER plated diff
- standard brakes with braided lines, Endless brake pads, self build brake cooling and Castrol RBF racing brake fluid
- in step 2: AP Racing calipers with 295x28mm discs
- poly windows
- underfloor protection removed an underfloor repainted
- ATS DTC 7x15inch wheels with Nankang AR1 205/50 r15 tires

Engine:
- Airtec stage 2 intercooler
- ITG air intake an crossover pipe
- 12 row Setrab oil cooler
- Mountune MP215 software at the moment
In a second step:
- new turbo with 200cell sport cat, custom exhaust
- rewiring with new ECU
- dry sump kit

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sick build!! [twothumb]

That has to be THE most extensive (and gusseted/triangulated) 6 point cage I've ever seen!

I am guessing that your country's road going regulations are NOT as outright draconian as Germany's TUV, since your build could never be 'street legal' in that country? [dunno]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This is cool. Also interesting to see the sheetmetal exposed for the seat mounts and realize at least on the front one could notch down the seat mounting position to have lower in the car seat profile.

OP
L
Thread Starter #8
If I was part of the Royal Family, why does it take more than 3 years to get the car ready? [wink] no I'm NOT part of the royal family. Nearly everything in the car has TÜV papers or ABE/ECE numbers on it. Standard steering wheel is going back into the car because the race steering wheel is not allowed

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I was part of the Royal Family, why does it take more than 3 years to get the car ready? [wink] no I'm NOT part of the royal family. Nearly everything in the car has TÜV papers or ABE/ECE numbers on it. Standard steering wheel is going back into the car because the race steering wheel is not allowed
Too bad there is not a super-quick way to swap between the race wheel/hub assembly, and the factory whoopee cushion equipped wheel, for track day use (or does the law require it even there? [dunno]).

OP
L
Thread Starter #10
3BBB298A-7095-45C0-AFAC-F72490CB5474.jpeg

It depends on the event. But I'm not goong to change it every time. So I'll go an let it re-trim in alcantara with 12 o'clock mark

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
View attachment 19562

It depends on the event. But I'm not goong to change it every time. So I'll go an let it re-trim in alcantara with 12 o'clock mark
NICE!! [twothumb] [driving]

If I do not dump the exploding killer cushion factory wheel for an aftermarket Sparco/Personal one, I want to do the same thing. ;)

Are non-factory, airbag-less, aftermarket seats (whether one piece, racing shell type, or racing style recliners) street/TUV legal there, or not? [dunno]

OP
L
Thread Starter #13
Like I said, Recaro Pole Position ABE seats have ABE (Allgemeinen Betriebserlaubnis), SCHROTH Profi III harnesses have ECE papers --> street legal. Airbags are required for steering wheel and dashboad.
Welded cage is also possible to get it road legal. I don't know if you have ever been at Nürburgring but there are plenty of road legal race car [rockon] You only need a good TÜV expert.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Like I said, Recaro Pole Position ABE seats have ABE (Allgemeinen Betriebserlaubnis), SCHROTH Profi III harnesses have ECE papers --> street legal. Airbags are required for steering wheel and dashboad.
Welded cage is also possible to get it road legal. I don't know if you have ever been at Nürburgring but there are plenty of road legal race car [rockon] You only need a good TÜV expert.
That IS cool that they allow non-airbag, one piece shell seats, and cages, on the streets, given how 'Gestapo/Stasi' the TUV can be. ;) [cool] [thumb]

Are some of the race shells street legal, even without a cage/bar, and backbrace, backing them up (stand alone, using just factory 3 point belts)? [dunno]

OP
L
Thread Starter #15
I'm not a TÜV expert. I don't even understand what you mean with "race shell" which doesn't have a cage/bar, etc. [???:)] [biggrin]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm not a TÜV expert. I don't even understand what you mean with "race shell" which doesn't have a cage/bar, etc. [???:)] [biggrin]
I define a "race shell" as any ONE PIECE, NON-reclining, NOT factory supplied, excessively bolstered/'winged', fiberglass, carbon/kevlar, or some other composite thereof (or even steel tube framed, but not reclining) deep seating position seat, whether FIA approved for competition, or not, or 'halo containment' equipped or not. ;)

Some sanctioning bodies/run groups here in the states will not allow you to go out on track with these in a car without at least a roll bar with a supported back brace attached to the seat, and some require the same setup for the passenger side, as on the driver's side.