Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hybrid Cobb Stage 2 System

slopoke

Howdy, I’ve got a Fiesta St and looking to piece together a stage 2 kit. Basically it’ll be mostly Cobb parts, map, but since I live in California, I’m going to use the Mountune intake system rather than the Cobb unit and powder coat the unit black. So hopefully the smog tech dose not notice the non stock intake box and fail me.

Like I stated earlier, I’m limited in the modifications that I can legally do, because of state smog laws. Having said that I can’t do a full stage 3 that includes a catted downpipe and stage 3 map. But if I do a full stage 2 and throw a catback exhaust on, will I realize any gain from the addition of a catback exhaust to the stage 2 system?

If not, $745.00 is a lot and the added exhaust note is not what the primary goal is for me. I’d rather use that money to upgrade the brakes to a full Wilwood system which is $879.00, just $134.00 more than the exhaust, rather than just doing braided lines, Motul fluid and Hawk pads .Thx in advance.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Whoosh imports a stock intake for the Fiesta ST 200, which is just like the mountune, but it's made of molded plastic and looks totally stock. The tech would have to really know his STs to spot it. I believe it's a little cheaper, too. https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...st200-airbox-w-cold-air-feed-hose-coming-soon

I think the general consensus is that you won't see any significant gains from a catback. Spend that money on an aftermarket intercooler.

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #3
Whoosh imports a stock intake for the Fiesta ST 200, which is just like the mountune, but it's made of molded plastic and looks totally stock. The tech would have to really know his STs to spot it. I believe it's a little cheaper, too. https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...st200-airbox-w-cold-air-feed-hose-coming-soon

I think the general consensus is that you won't see any significant gains from a catback. Spend that money on an aftermarket intercooler.
I will have an intercooler in my setup. Basically, it'll be a Full Cobb stage 2, but with a Mountune CAI.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I will have an intercooler in my setup. Basically, it'll be a Full Cobb stage 2, but with a Mountune CAI.
OK.

Still, the one I linked is the same design, with the cold air hose and everything, but it looks stock (because it is, on the ST 200). OEM Ford part, and cheaper.

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #5
OK.

Still, the one I linked is the same design, with the cold air hose and everything, but it looks stock (because it is, on the ST 200). OEM Ford part, and cheaper.
Thanks! Very much appreciated. I'll look into it.

me32

1000 Post Club
Howdy, I’ve got a Fiesta St and looking to piece together a stage 2 kit. Basically it’ll be mostly Cobb parts, map, but since I live in California, I’m going to use the Mountune intake system rather than the Cobb unit and powder coat the unit black. So hopefully the smog tech dose not notice the non stock intake box and fail me.

Like I stated earlier, I’m limited in the modifications that I can legally do, because of state smog laws. Having said that I can’t do a full stage 3 that includes a catted downpipe and stage 3 map. But if I do a full stage 2 and throw a catback exhaust on, will I realize any gain from the addition of a catback exhaust to the stage 2 system?

If not, $745.00 is a lot and the added exhaust note is not what the primary goal is for me. I’d rather use that money to upgrade the brakes to a full Wilwood system which is $879.00, just $134.00 more than the exhaust, rather than just doing braided lines, Motul fluid and Hawk pads .Thx in advance.
I have mountune high intake tube for sale. I also have a ATP intercooler for sale too. since your local we could meet up and save you a little, since i wont have to ship. Let me know if your interested.

www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/16426-Mountune-High-Flow-intake-pipe-for-sale

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/16423-ATP-intercooler-for-sale

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #7
I have mountune high intake tube for sale. I also have a ATP intercooler for sale too. since your local we could meet up and save you a little, since i wont have to ship. Let me know if your interested.

www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/16426-Mountune-High-Flow-intake-pipe-for-sale

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/16423-ATP-intercooler-for-sale

Thanks, but I'm going to keep the stock intake tube, so I will pass the smog inspection. As far as the intercooler, I'm going to get the Cobb intercooler kit.

Check out parts on whoosh’s site. I’d skip the catback unless you plan on swapping out the turbo or want a nice soundtrack.

me32

1000 Post Club
Thanks, but I'm going to keep the stock intake tube, so I will pass the smog inspection. As far as the intercooler, I'm going to get the Cobb intercooler kit.

No worries. Good luck on your mods. If smog is your number 1 goal. Your best off sticking with a mountune legal kit. Technically you could fail smog with a cobb intercooler. I would do so more research and look for CARB approved parts. As it seems smog seems to be your biggest goal.

I would recommend skipping the whole Cobb thing including the exhaust and just spend $50 on a stratified tune.
way more bang for your buck.
Of course an intercooler would be a good thing to get no matter which way you go.
Assuming you have the Accessport already.

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #13
[MENTION=9564]slopoke[/MENTION]

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but I think you may need to do some more research before you buy anything.
None taken. Haven't bought anything yet til all my research is done. I'm kind of anal when it comes to certain things, so I'll only spend my hard earned dollars where I can get the most "bang for the buck".

HBEcoBeaST

How strict do you think smog will be? Most inspectors will not fail you on a visual just because of an intake. Plenty of different types of intakes are CARB approved and I've never had a smog tech ask for CARB #s for any of my other vehicles which all had intakes and various exhaust mods. Same with intercooler, if you don't get a flashy logoed up or gold one I doubt any tech would notice. If you're really concerned you can print out CARB #s for similar parts to present to the tech if asked. They can't tell the difference between a CARB approved COBB intercooler vs an identical non CARB Whoosh intercooler.

You are wise in avoiding a downpipe if smog is your main concern. To pass smog you need a catted pipe, defouler and some preparation. Those who run catless DPs in SoCal are brave as I've seen numerous smog/exhaust noise level checkpoints and the smell from your exhaust is a dead giveaway.

Catback exhaust really doesn't provide much if any gains on our platform. It's more of a noise/looks thing. I've seen people running hybrid turbos on the stock catback (aftermarket DP) with no issues and making the same or similar power to those with similar mods and catback exhaust.

Get an E30 tune, drop in filter and save for an intercooler. You'll have more power than tire and visually you will appear stock. Flash back to stock tune when you smog. My E30 stage 1 smokes most full bolt on FiSTs if they are running 91 and it cost much less money.

Unless you go through checkpoints everyday I wouldn't worry so much. Technically running an AP v3 isn't street legal unless you're running mountunes MP215. I see APs mounted on cars all day and never heard of one getting pulled over for it. Now if you're already pulled over for something else they may start giving you a hard time about mods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
None taken. Haven't bought anything yet til all my research is done. I'm kind of anal when it comes to certain things, so I'll only spend my hard earned dollars where I can get the most "bang for the buck".
Very good. Bang for your buck would be the Whoosh, or Depo intercooler. They’re the same size as the Cobb, and they’re nearly half the price.

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #16
So, rather than going with an off the shelf tune from Cobb, it seems that most are advocating a "E30" tune. I checked and the data for gas stations in my local area for E85 (15 mile radius) is very limited or unavailable. The stations that are listed have not had updated since 2016, so that option is not good. Is an octane booster like Royal Purple a reasonable substitute. A bottle will treat 2 tank fulls and easy to carry in the trunk.

When you buy the accessport, it comes with the Cobb staged tunes. I think if you buy the accessport through Stratified you get a tune from them with it.
You can start with a 91 oct tune from stratified. It would still be better than the Cobb tunes. I guess you could also get a 93 tune and add octane booster
but I am not sure the added HP would be worth it.

HBEcoBeaST

So, rather than going with an off the shelf tune from Cobb, it seems that most are advocating a "E30" tune. I checked and the data for gas stations in my local area for E85 (15 mile radius) is very limited or unavailable. The stations that are listed have not had updated since 2016, so that option is not good. Is an octane booster like Royal Purple a reasonable substitute. A bottle will treat 2 tank fulls and easy to carry in the trunk.
I wouldn't try that for E30. A 93 tune yes. Look for G&M gas stations they carry e85. Where are you in California? Southern California e85 is pretty common if you're looking.

And a custom (Stratified, Mountune, etc) 91 tune will be miles above the Cobb 91 OTS map.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #19
OK, just got off of the phone with Ron at Whoosh. He set me straight on what I need to do. Thanks to all for your input!