Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Prototype Turbo tester needed. (The ultimate turbo upgrade?) 400whp?

pwnall1337

Vendor
Hey Guys/Gals,

While I don't believe I shared this on the forums, I had mentioned a few months ago that we were working with two vendors to bring two new turbos to the market.
As some have already seen, FrankenTurbo is one of them which is no secret now. We are still waiting for a prototype from the factory.

Now for the other turbo we are needing a beta tester. We simply "DO NOT" put products to market with out testing them first and providing real world results on chassis dyno's using SAE correction factors (Not vdyno, not hub dyno's, not uncorrected or STD corrected numbers), SAE corrected chassis dyno numbers!

Why SAE?

SAE is the most accurate and consistent correction factor. It's what OEM's use to rate their engine at the crank.

So what proposition am I providing and what makes this turbo so awesome?

This is a true direct bolt on (no adapters needed) OEM fitment design turbocharger that we hope is going to produce 400whp.

Why not just use a gtx2860r? Good question! The GTX2860R bolt on kits use a .64 a/r turbine housing which shows 25 psi at 4300 rpm in 3rd gear with the stock manifold and around 3800 rpm with the pumaspeed quick spool manifold.
But what if, you could make 27 psi at 3,400 RPM and still make 400whp? That's essentially the goal of this new turbo, not too mention it will be cheaper than the gtx turbo kits once available for purchase and direct bolt on.

Is this a hybrid turbo? NO! A hybrid turbo would infer the use of OEM turbine/compressor housings with modified internal components. This turbo is designed from the ground up as a direct bolt on turbocharger (Bespoke casted turbine and compressor housings).

What do we need from you?
  • We are asking that the beta tester is currently tuned by either Stratified or JST so we can get accurate results and attempt to provide tuning incentives to reduce the cost of the re tune if at any cost at all.
  • You have the stratified 4 port aux fuel kit
  • You can perform the install yourself or have it installed quickly by a shop
  • You can provide results as soon as possible
  • You are willing to push the turbo as far as it'll go
  • You are willing to purchase a Tial mechanical bov and bosch 3.5 bar map sensor for boost levels over 28 psi
  • You can have the car dyno'd using a dynojet dyno with SAE correction on e40/e50 fuel mix to show what the turbo is really capable of
  • You are already full bolt on, or will go full bolt on before installing this turbo

*The beta tester agrees to keep all information regarding the turbo confidential until Pwnall Performance has approved the release of information.*

The beta tester will purchase the turbocharger at a significantly discounted rate and nearly $1000 cheaper than comparable kits.

Please contact us at sales@pwnallperformance.com if you are interested. We have the protoype ready to go and are looking to get results as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Tim Pownall
Pwnall Performance
sales@pwnallperformance.com

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
your other turbo upgrade sounds very similar to the Turbo Technics revo and the S280 from Collins Performance
or is this something completely different?

Finally we have our brand new Turbotechnics S280 Turbocharger, used in our upcoming CP5 package. This turbo features larger bespoke turbine and compressor houses and larger wheels and is much more like a conventional Garrett turbocharger... These larger turbos usually dont go well on small displacement engines as they need a large amount of energy in the exhaust gasses to effectively spin up. This has been solved by using our own CP design actuator and making a turbocharger specifically designed for the 1.6 Ecoboost and as such has much less turbo lag than a conventional large turbo would have on the same engine. All whilst keeping boost and temps low.
Finally we have our brand new Turbotechnics S280 Turbocharger, used in our upcoming CP5 package. This turbo features larger bespoke turbine and compressor houses and larger wheels and is much more like a conventional Garrett turbocharger... These larger turbos usually dont go well on small displacement engines as they need a large amount of energy in the exhaust gasses to effectively spin up. This has been solved by using our own CP design actuator and making a turbocharger specifically designed for the 1.6 Ecoboost and as such has much less turbo lag than a conventional large turbo would have on the same engine. All whilst keeping boost and temps low.

[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/cfuMNp/collins_turbos.jpg

If someone is willing to risk their engine you should at least provide the turbo for free for being a beta tester. it's kind of shitty that someone has to buy the turbo, buy a bov, buy a map sensor, buy the aux 4 port, and pay for a retune at the risk of blowing their engine, and then be out more money for a engine swap.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If someone is willing to risk their engine you should at least provide the turbo for free for being a beta tester. it's kind of shitty that someone has to buy the turbo, buy a bov, buy a map sensor, buy the aux 4 port, and pay for a retune at the risk of blowing their engine, and then be out more money for a engine swap.
I fully agree with you that's a huge risk for a $1,000 discount get out of here. That's just bad business simple as that. I'm not going to risk my car for a discount that's just stupid. You're basically asking somebody to be a guinea pig that already has money invested in the car with modifications for a discount.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
your other turbo upgrade sounds very similar to the Turbo Technics revo and the S280 from Collins Performance
or is this something completely different?

[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/cfuMNp/collins_turbos.jpg
Hey Ron,

Would you be willing to create a new thread about this development offering? I am a bit confused and would like more clarification on where this would fall as a product offering. Sounds like maybe this is between the original REvo S242 and the current RT330 offering? I don't want to hijack this thread though...

I fully agree with you that's a huge risk for a $1,000 discount get out of here. That's just bad business simple as that. I'm not going to risk my car for a discount that's just stupid. You're basically asking somebody to be a guinea pig that already has money invested in the car with modifications for a discount.

I agree 100% here. This is nuts. Someone would have to seriously undervalue their time to take this offer as well as grossly miscalculate the risk of this endeavor. This statement in itself make the risk huge "You are willing to push the turbo as far as it'll go" especially with the knowledge that the stock engine is only good to ~380WHP/WTQ and the target for this unit is 400WHP.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Tim here, like Ron, is a good dude, an actual enthusiast just trying to make a living doing what he truly loves... BUT, yeah, I don't see the upside on this one, if someone is already "Stage 3" and was already running a hybrid or BT and was looking to push it, then maybe then offer the turbo for either free or VERY low price, but just a "substantial discount" for something that could likely toast a stock internals motor at 400 HP, yeah, no way... There is a VERY small number of people who have built up their internals to handle that much power on a FiST, I just don't see the market for THAT much power when you don't have to upgrade internals at all for your standard 325-350 on current available turbo upgrades.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hey Ron,

Would you be willing to create a new thread about this development offering? I am a bit confused and would like more clarification on where this would fall as a product offering. Sounds like maybe this is between the original REvo S242 and the current RT330 offering? I don't want to hijack this thread though...

I agree 100% here. This is nuts. Someone would have to seriously undervalue their time to take this offer as well as grossly miscalculate the risk of this endeavor. This statement in itself make the risk huge "You are willing to push the turbo as far as it'll go" especially with the knowledge that the stock engine is only good to ~380WHP/WTQ and the target for this unit is 400WHP.
Collins did this with the S242 as well
revo markets the turbo then they slip in the backdoor and sell the Turbo Technics turbo alone calling it the S270 or something by adding a Collins wastegate similar to how we add the Tune+ Turbosmart gate here.

My question was, as far as I know the larger cast OEM fit housing is from Turbo Technics. So is this turbo the Collins S280 and you are calling it your discovery or are you actually having a Turbo Technics turbo made from scratch with your own wheels sizes etc. Id you are, I'm very interested and will keep watching.

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #9
The turbo is not of my brand and I cannot provide the protoype for free because it's not my turbo to provide. I'm looking for an individual to test it which I will put into direct contact with the vendor.

I'd test it on my own car, but my car has a slipping clutch at the moment and my new motor is ready for install with cams on a fully built motor, so when I make xxx power with it, people will associate it on the slight increase in displacement/compression/and cams and the results would not be real world for a stock engine car which is not acceptable to me.

Well, if that company wants to sell some turbos they need to decide whether or not they are willing to let one of their turbos go for free for testing, thats the cost of doing business. As of right now we have very good options, considering what ron sells, pumaspeed sells, and the gtx, and the 550 variants.

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #11
Well, if that company wants to sell some turbos they need to decide whether or not they are willing to let one of their turbos go for free for testing, thats the cost of doing business. As of right now we have very good options, considering what ron sells, pumaspeed sells, and the gtx, and the 550 variants.
Tony has allowed me to mention it's the Pumaspeed X57R 400WHP version. We first talked about it back in February, but it took several months to get a prototype and we finally have one ready. The reason we want to test it here in America to get results on port injection and ethanol. I have no control over the fee for the prototype.

Subā€™d for results. Hoping for 280+ wheel on pump with the Frankenturbo and for results on the x57R, however long that may take.

well tell tony, that I will offer my car as a sacrifice but I need some help, and if I have to slap a Giant PUMASPEED sticker across the windshield like Ricky Bobby then so be it.

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #15
well tell tony, that I will offer my car as a sacrifice but I need some help, and if I have to slap a Giant PUMASPEED sticker across the windshield like Ricky Bobby then so be it.
I reached out to Jeff and he's going to balance the motor as is and ship it out to me in the next 2-3 weeks so we'll be able to test the X57R here in at Pwnall Performance. I originally wanted 3rd party testing like we did with Daniel and the G25 kit, because I'm not sure how the cams in my engine will impact the end numbers of the turbo, however this looks like the best way currently.

jeff

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=602]pwnall1337[/MENTION]

Thanks for bringing new offerings for our cars.

Just to make sure I understand, you're speaking of three different new turbo options right now, correct?

1. This one you're discussing in this thread from post #1, the Puma X57R

2. The Frankenturbo

3. The Puma G25 reverse rotation on Daniels car that you just mentioned

If so, can you specify (as far as you know/are allowed to share) the expected power outputs of each of the three options above?

That would really help, folks are trying to decide between the older Garretts and MRX and X47r and Voodoo and Revo and now these 3 new options, it's getting confusing.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I reached out to Jeff and he's going to balance the motor as is and ship it out to me in the next 2-3 weeks so we'll be able to test the X57R here in at Pwnall Performance. I originally wanted 3rd party testing like we did with Daniel and the G25 kit, because I'm not sure how the cams in my engine will impact the end numbers of the turbo, however this looks like the best way currently.

Purdy!

What did you punch it out (or stroke it out) to?

(Or was that NOT done now, so that you could test on factory displacement? [dunno])

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #18
[MENTION=602]pwnall1337[/MENTION]

Thanks for bringing new offerings for our cars.

Just to make sure I understand, you're speaking of three different new turbo options right now, correct?

1. This one you're discussing in this thread from post #1, the Puma X57R

2. The Frankenturbo

3. The Puma G25 reverse rotation on Daniels car that you just mentioned

If so, can you specify (as far as you know/are allowed to share) the expected power outputs of each of the three options above?

That would really help, folks are trying to decide between the older Garretts and MRX and X47r and Voodoo and Revo and now these 3 new options, it's getting confusing.

The X57 we're hoping will produce 400whp and have 28 psi of boost by 3,400 rpm in 3rd gear.

The Frankenturbo will be the most cost efficient hybrid on the market, it will have an uprated k04 center section and will not use the kp39 bearing system. Doug is still debating on whether to use the F21 or F23 CHRA for this unit.
The expected power output will most likely be slightly better than the x37, so maybe 265 whp on 93 pump and 300 on e30 which may be doable on the stock fuel system.

The G25 kit, Daniel is saying it's eating cake, or at least that's my interpretation of it. It's going on the dyno soon and he's hoping to break the stock block HP record at 28 psi or within tolerance of the OEM 3 bar map sensor. I'm excited to see this and I expect this turbo to be capable of 550 whp with a proper flowing engine.

For my engine, I'll be running the X57R turbo myself. I'm hoping for 420->430 whp maybe with my cams and holding power to 7800 RPM with peak power coming in around 4,000 rpm to give the car a really nice powerband.
Then I'm going to introduce my nitrous system that I have here with the x47 (22 shot), I've been unable to use it other than the dyno, because the clutch gives up life when it hits. I'll be increasing the shot to a 50 shot with the x57r and hoping to hit that magic 500whp. Typically the 50 shot should be good for around 90-100 whp, but with the fiesta heads not flowing the best and my pumaspeed quick spool manifold being on the smaller bore side, we'll have to see how much nitrous we need to hit that magic 500whp number. It also depends on how well the x57r performs as well.

In regards to my engine, It's got piper stage 1 cams, the bore is .20 over so displacement is marginally increased. The deck is not even on the OEM blocks so it was aggressively decked which also increases compression slightly, so it should flow more air than an OEM motor.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The Frankenturbo may have my interest in the future. The X37 was my interest if I ever decided to upgrade the turbo, but with that gone I was interested in the X47R. I don't even know if I will do an upgraded Turbo but I would be happy with 250+WHP.

jeff

2000 Post Club
The X57 we're hoping will produce 400whp and have 28 psi of boost by 3,400 rpm in 3rd gear.

The Frankenturbo will be the most cost efficient hybrid on the market, it will have an uprated k04 center section and will not use the kp39 bearing system. Doug is still debating on whether to use the F21 or F23 CHRA for this unit.
The expected power output will most likely be slightly better than the x37, so maybe 265 whp on 93 pump and 300 on e30 which may be doable on the stock fuel system.

The G25 kit, Daniel is saying it's eating cake, or at least that's my interpretation of it. It's going on the dyno soon and he's hoping to break the stock block HP record at 28 psi or within tolerance of the OEM 3 bar map sensor. I'm excited to see this and I expect this turbo to be capable of 550 whp with a proper flowing engine.

For my engine, I'll be running the X57R turbo myself. I'm hoping for 420->430 whp maybe with my cams and holding power to 7800 RPM with peak power coming in around 4,000 rpm to give the car a really nice powerband.
Then I'm going to introduce my nitrous system that I have here with the x47 (22 shot), I've been unable to use it other than the dyno, because the clutch gives up life when it hits. I'll be increasing the shot to a 50 shot with the x57r and hoping to hit that magic 500whp. Typically the 50 shot should be good for around 90-100 whp, but with the fiesta heads not flowing the best and my pumaspeed quick spool manifold being on the smaller bore side, we'll have to see how much nitrous we need to hit that magic 500whp number. It also depends on how well the x57r performs as well.

In regards to my engine, It's got piper stage 1 cams, the bore is .20 over so displacement is marginally increased. The deck is not even on the OEM blocks so it was aggressively decked which also increases compression slightly, so it should flow more air than an OEM motor.
Thanks. So in terms of Pumaspeed's offerings and horsepower potential comparison, it would go:

G25>X57R>X47R>X37

Correct?

On another note these are insane power numbers for this car to be making. What is your personal strategy, seeing that you're heading for the 425whp range with the X57R, for keeping traction and making the power usable on the street? Or are you building it only for the drag strip? Just curious as I ponder more power, Daniel (G25) is not getting traction in 3rd gear anymore and he hasn't even started tuning for aux fuel. He has a ton of great supporting mods and knows what he's doing, I look forward to seeing/riding in the finished product. Just wondering what others in these power ranges are doing in terms of making the power usable.

Thanks in advance.