Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Comparing the latest Stratified vs. Dizzy stage 1 93 octane tunes

danbfree

3000 Post Club
UPDATE2: Stratified couldn't get rid of my rev hang and Dizzy is far smoother and now have dyno's

So first off, this is to discuss my findings, pros and cons and encourage thoughts and recommendations including what to ask for in a revision on one or both. I have an e30 tune only with Dizzy, so for discussion purposes, 93 tunes, in initial flash form will be discussed here, I'll be running my Dizzy e30 as much as possible regardless because of COURSE! :)

Options: None of my tunes has pops and crackles, have linear throttle option on Stratified, same 5000 RPM FFS on both. Launch control is set for 3000 for hard and soft on Stratified, Dizzy I asked for 2750 but that is set only as soft limit, hard limit is set much higher, if I want to launch/drag race I'd have to manually adjust the Dizzy hard limit down first. I also have 91 octane with my Stratified as it was only a $15 option since I do drive down to Cali with worse gas sometimes.

Mods: Drop in air filter with shroud cut out for snorkel, muffler to glasspack swap, symposer delete, short shift plate, Torque Solutions RMM, passenger side mount insert/bolt and step colder plugs. So you could say a stage 1+, intercooler will come next year. Driver side insert and TB Performance traction bar is on hand and waiting to go in now, still trying to find the tools, time and possibly help I need.

NEW: Dyno's below, with Dizzy tine and upgrades, torque peaks at a more manageable 3500 RPM.: Added Upgraded crossover, turbo inlet and a TurboSmart VR2 EM plum back electronic DV. Works amazing, just wish it was a touch louder, stock is even louder with a little pssst with a drop in filter.

Idle speed: With my Stratified at 850 and Dizzy at 900, I say 850 is perfect with upgraded mounts.

With Stratified, for some reason I still get big rev hang and with Dizzy I only get a little even with option for it on. Stratified was not able to remove it. It is SUPER annoying with the Stratified, takes away a lot of the fun of it, but I understand this is NOT typical.

Next is off the line behavior, under medium and up acceleration, Dizzy is MUCH smoother while Stratified can hit hard with torque quite suddenly after the one second of turbo lag, after each shift, not sure how I like that. It can be fun for around town stop light to stop light, but Dizzy is much better for commuting in traffic. Again, rev hang sucks on the Stratified, makes for it a little more difficult to drive smoothly between the rev hang and then the sudden torque hit.

With Stratified, I have their version of traction control on by default at their recommended Optimal setting and Dizzy has Cobb TC set at 3 and enabled by default, both feel very similar at the 93 octane level, wheel spin and torque steer are very similarly minimal.

Now for multi-gear WOT pulls, as far as boost, I am seeing Stratified hit a peak boost of 26.5 and the Dizzy hit up to 25.0. Both pull through the powerband at a couple of PSI less than each ones peak. Symposer delete has helped hold boost a bit better through the 3000-5000 full boost range. Max safe boost on a stock turbo is a debatable topic so I can say that I LOVE the engagement, quickness, immediate pull and sounds of the Stratified tune through the gears, but Dizzy is smooth and strong but not quite as aggressive and engaging but in a good way. Dyno results later confirm Dizzy is just as powerful with even a little more torque, I'm sticking with Dizzy as my main tune now, period

Both get great freeway mileage and feel pretty similar when you are in 6th and above 2500 RPM so you can floor it safely without much LSPI risk, but surprisingly, despite the less aggressive boost and timing, somehow Dizzy is more responsive when you want some quick part throttle acceleration at lower RPM's without shifting down, again Dizzy wins here too.

Also, despite the more aggressive boost and timing, for some reason Stratified doesn't heat soak the stock IC quite as bad, maybe because it has a more aggressive engine fan profile, or maybe runs slightly richer?

Having vDyno's to compare although they both have similar power, it seems Stratified is racey and twitchy while Dizzy is the more refined and smoother "gentleman's tune", I kind of wish I could mix and match the qualities of both to get the tune I want: The smoothness off the line without rev hang, like it is on Dizzy, but with the sheer responsive engagement and sounds of the Stratified during multi-gears pulls, but at the exact perfect boost level that won't cause damage as well

To summarize:

Dizzy:

Pro's - SMOOTH, both off the line and how boost engages, better cruising low RPM throttle response, feels safe with it's less aggressive boost and timing but still very strong. Includes a datalog review for safety at base price, can have Cobb traction control on or off by default and at what setting you want, I like mine set for 3. Simple tune options easy to configure, no nickel and dime pricing for each option with good flat rate price. Regular awesome sales for every little holiday that include both a pump and e30 tune for only $75 total. Simple 2 main stages available to order but still get to list all your mods and even your elevation. Faster email response than Stratified.

Con's - For some reason runs a bit hotter and heat soaks the IC quicker than Stratified. Definitely feels slightly too conservative in initial flash form, have to pay for custom tuning to request more boost and timing through datalogging. Has separate hard limit set way too high for launch control, only sets soft limit at what RPM you request. I'm sure he will set them both more accurately if asked on his tuning form, he only recently added some features with his V2. I forgot I ordered rev hang left on, I think, but not bad feeling at all, less invasive than the my Stratified tune, which could not be fixed. Not quite as many tune options, no multiple pump octane option, either 91 or 93 only. Tune email does not have super detailed info.

Verdict: Best safe and smooth flash tune for someone who just wants to flash once and be done with it; knowing they are running safe but strong with good refinement for daily driving and aren't the type to even monitor their AP. Don't plan on pull after pull after pull on hot days or racing without an IC upgrade even on his stage 1. But also, the e30 tune avaiable is insanely fun and smooth to max out your stock turbo.

Stratified:

Pro's: Dat sweet feel and sound of full gear pulls with aggressive timing advance that helps the car pulls out quickly for a more racey feel. Runs surprisingly cooler that Dizzy even with more boost and timing in initial flash form, partly due to more aggressive cooling fan speed ramping. Lots of multiple octane features available but now base price same as Dizzy. Tune email itself is loaded with tons of good info, has amazing library of tech articles for the public that help you learn a lot.

Con's: Mine has horrible rev hang and. Not as smooth as Dizzy with boost hitting a little suddenly in part throttle but not horribly so and with some more miles on it now has seemed to smooth out. Possibly slightly excessive boost on their pump tune, only about 0.5 psi less than Dizzy e30 in flash form, I even had that lowered but still peters out up top. Not as responsive to moderate throttle input as Dizzy at low RPM while cruising in gear. Choices and options when ordering can be a little overwhelming, prices have gone up, their traction control is not worth the extra $15 compared to the options of Cobb you already have, that is the same exact style anyway.

Verdict: Not worth the cost over Cobb OTS for free honestly, don't let Cobb's completely bullshit requirements steer you away from using their Stage 2 mostly stock and just an IC upgrade is actually strongly recommended for stage 3 really. Intake upgrades do help a little, but exhaust is 100% for sound and not a truly needed bolt on at all.

Both:
Offer crackles and pops at both low and high options although Dizzy does also offer which exact RPM you want them to engage, not my thing personally, I like the little bit I get naturally with my glasspack muffler.

Dizzy=blue, Stratified= Red
52842284_10215967667998522_7930952361000828928_n.jpg

Dizzy e30 at 35 degrees, 320ft/lb of torque, fully corrected still 300ft/lbs!
53405399_10216020640402799_6871088834759622656_n.jpg

Last edited:

SrsBsns

Thanks for writing this up. Actually, based on our conversation in another thread, I just picked up an AP and am currently doing hw on tunes so your post here has great timing.

I like my car to be edgy and raw and it sounds like the Stratified tune is more in line with that attitude. Could you talk a little more about the rev hang? What do you mean? The rev's don't drop as quickly on decel?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for writing this up. Actually, based on our conversation in another thread, I just picked up an AP and am currently doing hw on tunes so your post here has great timing.

I like my car to be edgy and raw and it sounds like the Stratified tune is more in line with that attitude. Could you talk a little more about the rev hang? What do you mean? The rev's don't drop as quickly on decel?
Yes, exactly, they hang for feels like a full second plus, if not go up 100 RPM's, when pressing in the clutch to shift. I think this is the stock tune "shift assist" that seems just about everyone else doesn't have with their Stratified tunes... Indeed 100% I'd recommend Stratified if you prefer your tune raw and edgy, no doubt about it. I personally recommend Flat Foot Shifting option to be set for 5000 RPM and launch control at 2750 since we make so much torque down low that will help you hook up and not just spin... For idle speed, it's going to depend a lot on your exact mods, but for some reason my Strat at 800 is smoother than my Dizzy at 900, contrary to the advice to raise your idle a bit if you have upgraded mounts, so for me 850 is my happy medium.

SrsBsns

Is the hanging rev's something that they can remove from the tune? I don't like the sound of it but everything else sounds good.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Is the hanging rev's something that they can remove from the tune? I don't like the sound of it but everything else sounds good.
Well, that's the thing, on one of the FB groups people were saying their Strat tune didn't have it at all and even posted proof videos, not sure why mine does. I sent an email to them about it as it truly ruins a nice aggressive tune, you might want to email them too ahead of time to make sure before you spend your money with them... I mean, since I had switched to Dizzy about 6-7 weeks ago, I did my step colder plugs, Symposer delete and muffler swap and so when I switched back to Stratified the other day to try it out again, Holy Cow does it sound and feel great going through a WOT multi-gear pull! I still don't like how the torque just hits so suddenly just trying to accelerate at a medium rate from stops, but man, does it ever feel and sound so good going through a pull, but it's like you have to fight the rev hang AND the sudden torque bursts against each other which doesn't make it smooth from stops at all.

SrsBsns

Well, that's the thing, on one of the FB groups people were saying their Strat tune didn't have it at all and even posted proof videos, not sure why mine does. I sent an email to them about it as it truly ruins a nice aggressive tune, you might want to email them too ahead of time to make sure before you spend your money with them... I mean, since I had switched to Dizzy about 6-7 weeks ago, I did my step colder plugs, Symposer delete and muffler swap and so when I switched back to Stratified the other day to try it out again, Holy Cow does it sound and feel great going through a WOT multi-gear pull! I still don't like how the torque just hits so suddenly just trying to accelerate at a medium rate from stops, but man, does it ever feel and sound so good going through a pull, but it's like you have to fight the rev hang AND the sudden torque bursts against each other which doesn't make it smooth from stops at all.
I'll make sure I reach out to them before buying the tune.

I ordered a filter and symposer delete today too and I'm probably going to wait until next month to pick up a FMIC (I'll be sending you a PM soon). Are colder plugs necessary? I've read that unless you're adding something like 50hp, the stock plugs are fine. Plugs aren't expensive really so I wouldn't mind swapping them, but I don't want to do it if it's not necessary.

Also, I was on the site but I wasn't sure. Does Stratified do a Stage 1 and a stage 2 like Dizzy does?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I'll make sure I reach out to them before buying the tune.

I ordered a filter and symposer delete today too and I'm probably going to wait until next month to pick up a FMIC (I'll be sending you a PM soon). Are colder plugs necessary? I've read that unless you're adding something like 50hp, the stock plugs are fine. Plugs aren't expensive really so I wouldn't mind swapping them, but I don't want to do it if it's not necessary.

Also, I was on the site but I wasn't sure. Does Stratified do a Stage 1 and a stage 2 like Dizzy does?
Replied to your PM, but to answer the questions I didn't answer there: Stratified will create your tune based on whatever exact mods you list when you order, they will tweak it to be a bit more aggressive based on your mods so you might even just go ahead and say you have an IC when you order, just watch your charge temps closely until you do upgrade. The difference being is that they will tune more aggressively knowing an upgraded IC will shed heat faster, but as long as you don't do pull after pull after pull in a row in 100+ heat I don't think you'll have a problem and when I say problem, it just means your charge temps hit over 140 and the ECU cuts timing and you simply lose some power, it won't damage anything... and just to repeat on the forum what I said in the PM to you, Stage 2 OTS is safe to try for now too, again, just watch charge temps but it's really very conservative, some people run stage 3 with barely any mods... and while step colder plugs are recommended even stock by some tuners, it doesn't hurt to wait but I did notice more top end on my Stratified tune after I had them, so it's nice there's some difference you can feel a bit.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you do Symposer delete that you really should do something for more sound, either a res delete at the least, muffler swap to something a bit louder than stock, muffler delete, etc... the car doesn't sound right with Symposer delete and 100% stock exhaust. Sure you can hear the intense whoosh noises nicely while boosting out but with exhaust SOOO quiet it just doesn't feel right and you will actually find your self going too fast with the sound missing! hehe

I like all tunes Dizzy Stage 1, 2 and E30. Especially with customer support and answering random questions I had. I've seen boost pressure in the 26s for each tune. I've only been able to get one pass in with the Dizzy E30 Tune and that was just a 14.64@92.65mph. I ran Stratified 93 tune a week before and the quickest I got was 15.13@92.73mph with 7 runs in. Crazy how just a tune gives it that extra difference.

I'm waiting for extra funds to come in so I get the Stratified E30. For the amount of money I'm spending on the Stratified E30 tune I might as well get a custom tune with Dizzy instead and still save some money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A7xogg

I like all tunes Dizzy Stage 1, 2 and E30. Especially with customer support and answering random questions I had. I've seen boost pressure in the 26s for each tune. I've only been able to get one pass in with the Dizzy E30 Tune and that was just a 14.64@92.65mph. I ran Stratified 93 tune a week before and the quickest I got was 15.13@92.73mph with 7 runs in. Crazy how just a tune gives it that extra difference.

I'm waiting for extra funds to come in so I get the Stratified E30. For the amount of money I'm spending on the Stratified E30 tune I might as well get a custom tune with Dizzy instead and still save some money.

You can't compare an e30 tune to a 93 tune

I have 3 versions of my Stratified tunes--3.10, 4.0 and 4.0 with 25.5 psi boost cap. With all 3 I have 5 slots--93, E30, 93 eco, E30 eco and valet. Rev hang was a bothersome issue with my stock, OEM tune. It has been no issue with any of my Stratified tunes. I have not driven on a Dizzy tune.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've been running a strat ots tune for about a year with no issues. Im fully bolted except for the DP that's still BNIB in the garage. as you said, it's a livelier tune. Makes the car feel so eager. I switched to a colder plug about 15k miles ago and also noticed a bit more on the too end. Nothing to write home about tho.

No rev hang here either. What you might be experiencing is the traction control. When I leave it on & drive hard it can feel a bit like rev hang. Once in sport mode that sensation disappears and gears just click and go.

I also get a strong heat wrap type of smell after putting her away wet. I consider it a sign of a job well done :D

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I have 3 versions of my Stratified tunes--3.10, 4.0 and 4.0 with 25.5 psi boost cap. With all 3 I have 5 slots--93, E30, 93 eco, E30 eco and valet. Rev hang was a bothersome issue with my stock, OEM tune. It has been no issue with any of my Stratified tunes. I have not driven on a Dizzy tune.
Interesting, maybe I'll try flashing back and forth again, solved my strong vibration on the Dizzy tune, I have an email in to Stratified, maybe I'll pay them for a few tweaks, but still prefer Dizzy as a daily for its smoothness.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I've been running a strat ots tune for about a year with no issues. Im fully bolted except for the DP that's still BNIB in the garage. as you said, it's a livelier tune. Makes the car feel so eager. I switched to a colder plug about 15k miles ago and also noticed a bit more on the too end. Nothing to write home about tho.

No rev hang here either. What you might be experiencing is the traction control. When I leave it on & drive hard it can feel a bit like rev hang. Once in sport mode that sensation disappears and gears just click and go.

I also get a strong heat wrap type of smell after putting her away wet. I consider it a sign of a job well done :D

Definitely not traction control, I always use sport mode so the traction control of the tune kicks in... And the Dizzy tune has rev hang too, just not as bad as my Stratified.

When you guys ordered your Strat tunes did you guys select Linear or Aggressive?
I actually do not remember that being an option when I ordered my first version 3.1 tune (though it might have been) and both of my version 4.0 tunes have been revisions to my 3.1. That said, if given the option I would select “linear.” I already worry about breaking a drive axle on dry pavement at times with how hard my E30 tune hits. I have no empirical basis for being worried, other than it comes on so strong. A good thing.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
I actually do not remember that being an option when I ordered my first version 3.1 tune (though it might have been) and both of my version 4.0 tunes have been revisions to my 3.1. That said, if given the option I would select “linear.” I already worry about breaking a drive axle on dry pavement at times with how hard my E30 tune hits. I have no empirical basis for being worried, other than it comes on so strong. A good thing.
Pretty sure when you order the 4.0 update (or new) the option is there to choose from but linear is default for good reason, you probably didn't even notice the drop down. :)

(off-topic slightly here)
And just for those curious about e30 tunes, one thing that isn't mentioned much about them is that they do not have to be an exact mix by any means, we're talking E25-35 final mix will work perfectly, even a little higher or lower is far from a big deal. The tunes don't even account for much extra octane, maybe 94, it's the charge cooling effect of methanol that allows the tune to be more aggressive in timing and boost and you just need to be in the same ballpark so that the fuel table can compensate for variance. The tune has lots of forgiveness for 2 big reasons: It doesn't take much to max out the stock turbo and B. Safety, so it's very easy to have an e30 tune that's safe but still max out a stock turbo.. When you have a turbo upgrade and custom tune, THEN more exact mixes of closer to e40+ work best for the most power... I'll leave it at that since I wasn't intending to derail my whole thread, I'll happily answer any PM's about any of this, I was just helping to explain to a guy on the Reddit FiST sub so thought I'd mention this briefly...

Last edited:
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Going back and forth a few times here, I can emphasise differences I'm seeing between the two... Dizzy oddly runs hotter despite less aggressive boost and timing BUT has CLEARLY better low RPM response.. Now a lot of guys like to shift down for literally any needed acceleration but our tiny turbo makes lots of low end power so it's nice to be cruising along and want a moderate amount of acceleration by simply going like a third throttle and Dizzy clearly responds better... But again, it's also smoother at daily driving stop light to stop light driving too...

I think I'll go back and update my initial post with a pros and cons of each, but kind of strange how they have differences that seem to be the opposite as expected. Also, Jason is a smaller operation but also responds to emails faster too, I sent an email about my rev hang to Stratified five days ago and have not gotten a response. I like Alex too, good guy who knows his stuff but his team is not exactly the most responsive over email either.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Updated first post with a summary and more info after going back and forth between the 2 more to directly compare...

LILIKE16ST

Really nice review both of these or very solid tuners I had stratified E30 flash when I was running my stock turbo now that I've switched to the x 37 I'm being tuned by Ryan at PT tuning just because I didn't want to deal with the crazy wait times with stratified. Another thing I've noticed it seems a some of you guys are very picky and finicky when it comes to some of this stuff like getting extremely detailed about how a certain teen behaves and stuff like that if you want your car dialed in that much to your liking I would suggest going for a custom tune they are better anyways I wouldn't mess around with the flash tune and just get a custom tune you will make the most power possible with your fuel and you can have them make it drive the way you want although my stratified tune drove excellent and there was literally no rev hang it fixed it to the point where my wife drove it and she noticed that the Rev hang wasn't there and she doesn't even really know what rev hang is she just said that the RPM is fell a lot faster when you press the clutch in between years and I was actually pretty surprised that she even noticed it