Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh crossover and turbo inlet review - Never thought it would solve my traction issues!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So, like many others on a stock turbo that is tuned, I've been frustrated about how just so instantaneous the massive torque hits and creates traction issues ... I have all 3 engine mounts upgraded and traction bar already, I still hated how the power, especially on e30, just hits so hard that I have traction issues. I have been considering even having my boost dialed down in 1st and 2nd gear, something... Well, after tons of research into intakes and exhaust, just for power purposes, I saw where a crossover pipe was actually one of the few mods that does seem to help a bit so I turned to Ron/Whoosh to pick up his excellent priced crossover. I noticed he was still running his special where you could add the inlet at a discount, so I bit and got the combo. The parts sat for a month while I got the right BOV/DV I wanted and could find the time. Well, I finally got it all installed this weekend, it was a near nightmare without a lift, but managed to get in there from the top with the cowl out and from below with the car on ramps and not using a creeper. I had to pull the Whoosh hotside res delete pipe and pulley cover, but got both those side of turbo items in after a lot of cussing and hand tiring from small ratchets and allen wrenches to get those bolts in tightly. See my sig for full mod list, but I still have stock airbox with oiled Mountune drop in and stock induction hose, I didn't want to spend the money for the induction with evap harness for now, but still had heard crossover helps alone and the inlet was "just because" it was a good deal and I can use it later if/when I go hybrid upgrade...

OK, so I'm assuming it is the inlet, but dang! The torque hits MUCH smoother, almost like 1 second extra of all that torque being spread over instead of instantly, so just a touch longer spool in a good way... I tried 2 different 93 tunes and now e30 and it's just amazing! Between the crossover, inlet and TS VR2 EM plumb back, the car sounds and feels like a different, more refined car! Not sure what else to say, but I consider the inlet the best thing I've done to help the stock turbo not act so crazy instant torquey once you are tuned! Only downside is that the turbo spool now sounds like engine ping, which you can tell it really isn't once you listen closer, but still a little weird!

6 week update - OK, so I'm noticing that I'm not hitting full boost and now think I have a small leak. So when I first get up to temp and start some pulls, I'm a good ~1.5-2 psi below each tunes target for max peak and about 1 full psi short of what it would normally be through the powerband. But the hotter I get it, that gap drops some, saying to me that as things heat up and expand small leaks are sealing up better. This is very consistent and repeatable and started not long after installing. Thankfully WGDC isn't spiking much at all so definitely not enough of a leak to make the turbo work harder but still. Honestly, I'm doubting the quality of the inlet combo to seal properly. I don't know if it's at the upper end with the new silicone connector that isn't the greatest fit to begin with or if the outlet to turbo connection itself does not have a good seal. The stock inlet has a rubber ring and the upgraded one does not have the spot to move that rubber ring over to it. I'm going to have to get in there this weekend and check it out and I'll take some pics, that new upper silicone connection has excess material and doesn't seal well I think. I'll start there before having to go back to the turbo backside area.

Last edited:
now I'm real curious about if it's all inlet or not.

Anybody running just that?
Pretty sure I have the same Strat tune as danbfree (not E30, regular stage 2) so maybe the TI is something to consider.

I have just the crossover and the other mods listed in my sig. I don't have the inlet pipe and I haven't installed my GFB DV+ yet either.

I was basing my traction issues on colder temps (28*F-40*F) and summer tires... when I switched to my All Season tires this past weekend the traction has greatly increased. I was attributing it to the right rubber compound.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
So, like many others on a stock turbo that is tuned, I've been frustrated about how just so instantaneous the massive torque hits and creates traction issues ... I have all 3 engine mounts upgraded and traction bar already, I still hated how the power, especially on e30, just hits so hard that I have traction issues. I have been considering even having my boost dialed down in 1st and 2nd gear, something... Well, after tons of research into intakes and exhaust, just for power purposes, I saw where a crossover pipe was actually one of the few mods that does seem to help a bit do I turned to Ron/Whoosh to pick up his excellent priced crossover. I noticed he was still running his special where you could add the inlet at a discount, so I bit and got the combo. The parts sat for a month while I got the right BOV/DV I wanted and could find the time. Well, I finally got it all installed this weekend, it was a near nightmare without a lift, but managed to get in there from the top with the cowl out and from below with the car on ramps and not using a creeper. I had to pull the Whoosh hotside res delete pipe and pulley cover, but got both those side of turbo items in after a lot of cussing and hand tiring from small ratchets and allen wrenches to get those bolts in tightly. See my sig for full mod list, but I still have stock airbox with oiled Mountune drop in and stock induction hose, I didn't want to spend the money for the induction with evap harness for now...

OK, so I'm assuming it is the inlet, but dang! The torque hits MUCH smoother, almost like 1 second extra of all that torque being spread over instead of instantly... I tried 2 different 93 tunes and now e30 and it's just amazing! Between the crossover, inlet and TS VR2 EM plumb back, the car sounds and feels like a different, more refined car! Not sure what else to say, but I consider the inlet the best thing I've done to help the stock turbo not act so crazy instant torquey once you are tuned!
awesome review
The turbo inlet has been more popular than first thought
we are making some changes going forward which will have some affect but not much on price
Im adding stainless hardware and pre-cut gaskets

This inlet will be included with our hybrid turbo coming in January by the way[like]

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
awesome review
The turbo inlet has been more popular than first thought
we are making some changes going forward which will have some affect but not much on price
Im adding stainless hardware and pre-cut gaskets

This inlet will be included with our hybrid turbo coming in January by the way[like]
Interesting, didn't notice a gasket in there to begin with, or even stuck to the stock one? I hope I'm OK tightened down well? Also, the silicone from the inlet to crossover is long with extra material hanging over the inlet, I just used the good quality clamps you included there and got it tightened down nicely... But thanks again for offering such cool little pieces at good house brand pricing, I can't believe the inlet isn't discussed even more, it really seems to be exactly what everyone with a tuned stock turbo needs. I'm 100% sure the stock one is intentionally designed to be a little restrictive to help with quick spool/torque on the stock tune but creates issues once you are tuned and this is the perfect solution. Of course, being able to be reused with a hybrid upgrade makes springing for it a no-brainer. :)

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Pretty sure I have the same Strat tune as danbfree (not E30, regular stage 2) so maybe the TI is something to consider.

I have just the crossover and the other mods listed in my sig. I don't have the inlet pipe and I haven't installed my GFB DV+ yet either.

I was basing my traction issues on colder temps (28*F-40*F) and summer tires... when I switched to my All Season tires this past weekend the traction has greatly increased. I was attributing it to the right rubber compound.
So yeah, to clarify, I'm actually still stage 1 technically with stock intercooler, but I do have flash 93 tunes from both Stratified and Dizzy and e30 from Dizzy and definitely noticed the smoother torque hit on all 3 tunes...

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Interesting, didn't notice a gasket in there to begin with, or even stuck to the stock one? I hope I'm OK tightened down well? Also, the silicone from the inlet to crossover is long with extra material hanging over the inlet, I just used the good quality clamps you included there and got it tightened down nicely... But thanks again for offering such cool little pieces at good house brand pricing, I can't believe the inlet isn't discussed even more, it really seems to be exactly what everyone with a tuned stock turbo needs. I'm 100% sure the stock one is intentionally designed to be a little restrictive to help with quick spool/torque on the stock tune but creates issues once you are tuned and this is the perfect solution. Of course, being able to be reused with a hybrid upgrade makes springing for it a no-brainer. :)
you don't need a gasket
most of the other inlets available don't have gaskets offered either. I think the Pro Alloy does which is priced at well, Pro Alloy pricing haha
your OEM inlet has an o-ring seal on the inlet itself

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
now I'm real curious about if it's all inlet or not.

Anybody running just that?
Good question, but I'm pretty, pretty sure that it's nearly all inlet helping with the smoother torque delivery, the crossover is just a little bigger, more consistently through it's length, if I had to guess it's prob 90% inlet 10% crossover delivering the air consistently with less restriction, that actually helps with a stock tune in generating spool/torque quickly.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
you don't need a gasket
most of the other inlets available don't have gaskets offered either. I think the Pro Alloy does which is priced at well, Pro Alloy pricing haha
your OEM inlet has an o-ring seal on the inlet itself
Phew, OK, I just wish I looked a little closer and tried to reuse the stock inlet o-ring, but good to hear it's not a big deal! As always, looking forward to all your new goodies coming out!

anticon

So, like many others on a stock turbo that is tuned, I've been frustrated about how just so instantaneous the massive torque hits and creates traction issues ... I have all 3 engine mounts upgraded and traction bar already, I still hated how the power, especially on e30, just hits so hard that I have traction issues. I have been considering even having my boost dialed down in 1st and 2nd gear, something... Well, after tons of research into intakes and exhaust, just for power purposes, I saw where a crossover pipe was actually one of the few mods that does seem to help a bit do I turned to Ron/Whoosh to pick up his excellent priced crossover. I noticed he was still running his special where you could add the inlet at a discount, so I bit and got the combo. The parts sat for a month while I got the right BOV/DV I wanted and could find the time. Well, I finally got it all installed this weekend, it was a near nightmare without a lift, but managed to get in there from the top with the cowl out and from below with the car on ramps and not using a creeper. I had to pull the Whoosh hotside res delete pipe and pulley cover, but got both those side of turbo items in after a lot of cussing and hand tiring from small ratchets and allen wrenches to get those bolts in tightly. See my sig for full mod list, but I still have stock airbox with oiled Mountune drop in and stock induction hose, I didn't want to spend the money for the induction with evap harness for now...

OK, so I'm assuming it is the inlet, but dang! The torque hits MUCH smoother, almost like 1 second extra of all that torque being spread over instead of instantly... I tried 2 different 93 tunes and now e30 and it's just amazing! Between the crossover, inlet and TS VR2 EM plumb back, the car sounds and feels like a different, more refined car! Not sure what else to say, but I consider the inlet the best thing I've done to help the stock turbo not act so crazy instant torquey once you are tuned!

[MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] Good review, and I would concur. I recently finished my intake upgrade track with the Whoosh crossover and inlet elbow combo, and it definitely smooths out the torque curve. I haven't ran my e30 tune since it's now the cold/wet time of the year and I have my all-seasons on, but once it dries up and gets above 40 degrees I will be swapping back to summers and the E30 tune and I already can't wait.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
[MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] Good review, and I would concur. I recently finished my intake upgrade track with the Whoosh crossover and inlet elbow combo, and it definitely smooths out the torque curve. I haven't ran my e30 tune since it's now the cold/wet time of the year and I have my all-seasons on, but once it dries up and gets above 40 degrees I will be swapping back to summers and the E30 tune and I already can't wait.
Nice to hear it sounds like that is completely normal and not just a leak in my work, hehe... But yeah, HAD to try one tank of e30 and I'm really happy! It's just weird hearing the turbo spool so weird, almost like bad ignition ping is how it sounds to me! And I'm all seasons year round, for around here I think it's a matter of getting softer/stickier all seasons and be willing to replace them fairly frequently, but true I still give up some grip, but either way I still try to have fun year round regardless, hehe...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Just noticed your all seasons are what I'm looking at to run year round... how do you like the Nitto Neo Gen? I figured since they are softer/stickier than pretty much any other true all season that comes in the 215/40/17 size that I want, figure they are a no-brainer... I know I'm giving up some grip in the summer, but any deal breakers with them I should know about?

anticon

Just noticed your all seasons are what I'm looking at to run year round... how do you like the Nitto Neo Gen? I figured since they are softer/stickier than pretty much any other true all season that comes in the 215/40/17 size that I want, figure they are a no-brainer... I know I'm giving up some grip in the summer, but any deal breakers with them I should know about?
So far so good. I only have about 2500 miles on them though. I based my decision on the recommendations of [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] in the discussions on the forum.

Got my inlet elbow yesterday but have not installed yet. Are people really installing these with no gasket of any kind? Just metal on metal? I see the OEM has a groove and o-ring in it so that would seem to be the gasket.

I think I saw a youtuber found an OEM scooby gasket that was perfect. I would think some kind of high temp gasket maker applied sparingly would work too.

Zero gasket doesnt seem great to me. What are people using?

Spork1569

Got my inlet elbow yesterday but have not installed yet. Are people really installing these with no gasket of any kind? Just metal on metal? I see the OEM has a groove and o-ring in it so that would seem to be the gasket.

I think I saw a youtuber found an OEM scooby gasket that was perfect. I would think some kind of high temp gasket maker applied sparingly would work too.

I used the loctite gasket maker when using mine. Was a bit messy but seemed to work OK.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

it's perfectly safe and fine to use bolted directly to the turbo w/no gasket
it's suggested to not use any RTV silicone type sealers in this area

it's perfectly safe and fine to use bolted directly to the turbo w/no gasket
it's suggested to not use any RTV silicone type sealers in this area

I guess I trust your advice but you posted earlier in this thread saying you were adding pre-cut gaskets to the revised part. I guess I am confused. Just seems like a metal flange on metal should have a gasket like pretty much any other situation, exhausts for example.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I guess I trust your advice but you posted earlier in this thread saying you were adding pre-cut gaskets to the revised part. I guess I am confused. Just seems like a metal flange on metal should have a gasket like pretty much any other situation, exhausts for example.
I ended up not using any at all, with such a flat surface it really doesn't need it, but a very thin liquid gasket is almost certainly OK as well... I ended up having more issues with leaks around the crossover to silicone section piece, mine came with an awkward size but he has since updated it from what I hear...

And that would be the update to my edit I made and never followed up on, you really have to tighten down the crossover to silicone hose piece clamp REALLY good, mine had an odd amount of overhang but once tightened down really well, as in REALLY tight, it hasn't been a problem at all.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
6 week update - OK, so I'm noticing that I'm not hitting full boost and now think I have a small leak.
This leak would be in your charge pipes, and nothing to do with the inlet.

So when I first get up to temp and start some pulls, I'm a good ~1.5-2 psi below each tunes target for max peak and about 1 full psi short of what it would normally be through the powerband. But the hotter I get it, that gap drops some, saying to me that as things heat up and expand small leaks are sealing up better. This is very consistent and repeatable and started not long after installing.
That isn't how this car works. Our cars reference a torque target, not a boost target. So if it is requesting 215ftlb tq at *insert rpm here* and your car makes that at 18psi instead of 19.5psi due to *insert mod / weather condition here* the car will open the wastegate and "make less boost". If your car is still making the same power numbers, or your butt dyno says its running fine I'd leave it alone. Don't pay too much attention to that peak boost number, its not important (unless its like 10psi and you're supposed to make 22psi... then... duh), its just a reference number. Air flow mass, charge air temps, and WGDC are more important.

Thankfully WGDC isn't spiking much at all so definitely not enough of a leak to make the turbo work harder but still..
That means its working correctly. 100% WGDC is full closed, 0% WGDC is full open. If you're seeing a small variation in your WGDC its controlling your boost correctly to hit the required torque targets.

Honestly, I'm doubting the quality of the inlet combo to seal properly. I don't know if it's at the upper end with the new silicone connector that isn't the greatest fit to begin with or if the outlet to turbo connection itself does not have a good seal. The stock inlet has a rubber ring and the upgraded one does not have the spot to move that rubber ring over to it. I'm going to have to get in there this weekend and check it out and I'll take some pics, that new upper silicone connection has excess material and doesn't seal well I think. I'll start there before having to go back to the turbo backside area.
These don't need seals, paper or otherwise. Also like I said, any actual loss of boost is in your charge pipes and not in the intake tract where none of the air is pressurized. If anything you should be happy your boost numbers are lower. It means your turbo isn't working as hard to obtain the same power figures, while being just as / more efficient.

That rubber ring was to allow the pipe to have some flex. The way it comes from Ron is perfectly acceptable for a solid connection.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
This leak would be in your charge pipes, and nothing to do with the inlet.

That isn't how this car works. Our cars reference a torque target, not a boost target. So if it is requesting 215ftlb tq at *insert rpm here* and your car makes that at 18psi instead of 19.5psi due to *insert mod / weather condition here* the car will open the wastegate and "make less boost". If your car is still making the same power numbers, or your butt dyno says its running fine I'd leave it alone. Don't pay too much attention to that peak boost number, its not important (unless its like 10psi and you're supposed to make 22psi... then... duh), its just a reference number. Air flow mass, charge air temps, and WGDC are more important.

That means its working correctly. 100% WGDC is full closed, 0% WGDC is full open. If you're seeing a small variation in your WGDC its controlling your boost correctly to hit the required torque targets.

These don't need seals, paper or otherwise. Also like I said, any actual loss of boost is in your charge pipes and not in the intake tract where none of the air is pressurized. If anything you should be happy your boost numbers are lower. It means your turbo isn't working as hard to obtain the same power figures, while being just as / more efficient.

That rubber ring was to allow the pipe to have some flex. The way it comes from Ron is perfectly acceptable for a solid connection.
Long, long resolved, I did have a leak on the silicone from crossover to inlet, but some good info for the record! I've also learned a lot about tuning since this original discussion and indeed some great info for others to know.

Last edited: