Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

My thing is I wish a lot more ford dealerships and ford as a whole were more lenient on mods. We didn't buy a turbocharged ST to go slow! If we wanted that we would of bought the normal fiesta

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My thing is I wish a lot more ford dealerships and ford as a whole were more lenient on mods. We didn't buy a turbocharged ST to go slow! If we wanted that we would of bought the normal fiesta

What you are overlooking is manufacturers have to certify their engines to meet EPA specs for many miles. Ford is the only company to allow mods and warrant them from Mountune as they are tested and certified to not pollute or harm the engine. So Ford is already the most lenient maker concerning engine mods. What maker in their right mind will warrant an engine that has been modded by third parties or DIY'ers? I am sure Cobb is a fine tuner and company, however I do not see them or any other tuners advertise its legality (EPA and CARB) nor do I see any other tuner warranting our engine. If the tuners do not do it why would Ford trust their tunes?

On our car Ford will only warrant the engine at the 215HP level with the Mountune MP215. It would be totally unreasonable to expect them to warrant someone else's parts and tune. Any other tunes and you are out in the cold if you have engine related failures or like me Emissions testing. So, if you want over an additional 18HP it is there to be had but at a cost.......your engine warranty and possibly registration problems. I knew this before buying mine and had the MP215 on it days after purchase.

Based

Well when my engine blows while I have the x47r turbo on it I will just use that as an excuse to build the motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading through the FoST blown engine threads, it looks like detonation is the killer. Every one I have seen had a tune. I would say they are pushing the limits of the injectors or high pressure fuel pumps, but that's me speculating after a few pages. Possibly because they aren't going to colder plugs. The pics definitely prove detonation though.

I also think loading the tunes without upgrading the intercooler isn't helping.
Well that and all the idiots running crackle tunes because "sahhduude macar sounds broken and its so sick duude" >_>

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well that and all the idiots running crackle tunes because "sahhduude macar sounds broken and its so sick duude" >_>

Awesome first post “brah.” Sounds like you are very knowledgeable on how the crackle tune changes the parameters of the car.

This isn’t Facebook, maybe go introduce yourself first..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome first post “brah.” Sounds like you are very knowledgeable on how the crackle tune changes the parameters of the car.

This isn’t Facebook, maybe go introduce yourself first..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There an intro thread im missing here? Clearly you went to my profile anyway so you know my name is Paul. Look I dont mean to offend if you are into the whole crackle thing, just seems like dumping fuel and purposefully pulling timing cant be great for anything. I may not have first hand experience with tuning but doesnt it seem logical that when you are sending extra fuel and counting on all of the extra fuel making it out the other side without detonating you are risking predetonation? Enlighten me if im wrong-ive seen tons of guys arguing that crackle tunes are safe because its only happening during deceleration when the engine isnt under stress. But it just seems like playing with fire..

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There an intro thread im missing here? Clearly you went to my profile anyway so you know my name is Paul. Look I dont mean to offend if you are into the whole crackle thing, just seems like dumping fuel and purposefully pulling timing cant be great for anything. I may not have first hand experience with tuning but doesnt it seem logical that when you are sending extra fuel and counting on all of the extra fuel making it out the other side without detonating you are risking predetonation? Enlighten me if im wrong-ive seen tons of guys arguing that crackle tunes are safe because its only happening during deceleration when the engine isnt under stress. But it just seems like playing with fire..

You did not offend me, so no worries there.

Yes, you are missing the intro thread. Also, if you search around a bit you will find a couple of great threads about how most of the major players here are able to generate exhaust crackles. Timing is not pulled and fuel is not sent to the exhaust. So in summary, your comments are incorrect.

You did not offend me, so no worries there.

Yes, you are missing the intro thread. Also, if you search around a bit you will find a couple of great threads about how most of the major players here are able to generate exhaust crackles. Timing is not pulled and fuel is not sent to the exhaust. So in summary, your comments are incorrect.

For sure man, thanks for informing me. I read a stratified post a while back about crackle tunes and saying thats what they did to prevent predetonation. Also I clicked on the intro thread and it just sent me to a free stickers thread *shrug*

Do more research.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just a 'newbie' question (which I've never dealt with before, because; NO BOOST before this) on plug heat ranges;

Just how bad is the trade off between the assurance of no detonation, and possible plug fouling/extreme fuel dilution/LSPI (? because the colder plugs might actually HELP with this [dunno]) on a year 'round driven, cold winter, mid-Atlantic location, factory snail, 1.6 EcoBoost, either WITH or without a canned (Strat/Dizzy/etc.) tune? [???:)]

What you are overlooking is manufacturers have to certify their engines to meet EPA specs for many miles. Ford is the only company to allow mods and warrant them from Mountune as they are tested and certified to not pollute or harm the engine. So Ford is already the most lenient maker concerning engine mods. What maker in their right mind will warrant an engine that has been modded by third parties or DIY'ers? I am sure Cobb is a fine tuner and company, however I do not see them or any other tuners advertise its legality (EPA and CARB) nor do I see any other tuner warranting our engine. If the tuners do not do it why would Ford trust their tunes?

On our car Ford will only warrant the engine at the 215HP level with the Mountune MP215. It would be totally unreasonable to expect them to warrant someone else's parts and tune. Any other tunes and you are out in the cold if you have engine related failures or like me Emissions testing. So, if you want over an additional 18HP it is there to be had but at a cost.......your engine warranty and possibly registration problems. I knew this before buying mine and had the MP215 on it days after purchase.
Nope.

Dinan and BMW.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Nope.

Dinan and BMW.
They sell Fiesta ST tunes? LOL...... Was referring to our cars in general. Only owned one BMW a '87 320is, nice car with real Recaros, unlike the Fiesta ones, but could never afford any Dinan stuff, forgot about them. The 320 went 300K and ran fine when I donated it to a charity in '13....never burned oil and that was all Dino stuff. Even taught my daughter how to do the valve adjustments on it before she took it off to college. Was a reliable rugged car back then. Best manual transmission I ever had until my FiST.

koozy

3000 Post Club
In the Mid '80 Callaway Turbo'd VW Sciroccos, Jettas and GTI's were available through some VW Of America dealerships with warranty and EPA blessing. Callaway, the same mfg. of the Callaway Vettes.

Add me to the list..

39k miles. One of the cylinder head bolts backed out causing a blown headgasket and warped head.

That's the same as what I did lol I knew what I wanted and knew everything about the car when I went to the dealership...
I bought mine without ever driving it. I read and watched every video and review imaginable, and they all universally praised the car, so I said "I want one". So I bought one. No regrets.
Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well I never thought I'd post here...

26k miles, cylinder 2 dropped compression. 150,70,150,150.

was full bolt on stage 3 since 10k miles, mountune pro tuned. I installed a Stratified crackle map for ONE DAY, and I shit you not, when I went back to my mountune map it started having issues. Cranked forever to start. ran like a subaru for a few minutes until warm. But it never felt low on power. Went to change my plugs and found #2 seized into the head. It broke. I replaced it and ever since I've had a constant miss. So it went to the dealer last week and found out the compression today.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well I never thought I'd post here...

26k miles, cylinder 2 dropped compression. 150,70,150,150.

was full bolt on stage 3 since 10k miles, mountune pro tuned. I installed a Stratified crackle map for ONE DAY, and I shit you not, when I went back to my mountune map it started having issues. Cranked forever to start. ran like a subaru for a few minutes until warm. But it never felt low on power. Went to change my plugs and found #2 seized into the head. It broke. I replaced it and ever since I've had a constant miss. So it went to the dealer last week and found out the compression today.
What year is your car?