Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Stuff that... So much for protune...

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
I highly doubt it had to do with the Mountune tune. I do not want to talk trash about Stratified or their tunes, but it was a totally different map, totally different style. everything was different. So I don't really know what caused it. Hoping to hear back from the engine tech later today or tomorrow.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hmmm strange did the dealer give you any other info besides the low compression reading like what they suspect? You bought the car new I take it.
Not yet. A good friend of mine that works for Ford in another state seems to think something got into the cylinder when the spark plug broke and damaged the valves. Compression that low is a purely mechanical failure.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not yet. A good friend of mine that works for Ford in another state seems to think something got into the cylinder when the spark plug broke and damaged the valves. Compression that low is a purely mechanical failure.
Of course, thats why I was wondering. I was like damn 26k 2017 WTF. It did sound like a headgasket or something big. Those coolant line issues were causing overheating and blown head gaskets and possible cracked heads.
Of course you did not say you overheated.
Intersting as I am running Mountune tunes right now but most likely am jumping over to Dizzy for E30 and whatnot. Everything I have read Dizzy really puts time into his tunes and not ignoring Fords maps as bases.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Of course, thats why I was wondering. I was like damn 26k 2017 WTF. It did sound like a headgasket or something big. Those coolant line issues were causing overheating and blown head gaskets and possible cracked heads.
Of course you did not say you overheated.
Intersting as I am running Mountune tunes right now but most likely am jumping over to Dizzy for E30 and whatnot. Everything I have read Dizzy really puts time into his tunes and not ignoring Fords maps as bases.
I'll be going JST after I get the car back. I'm going in a different direction than I was when I was tuned by Randy (mountune). Its just odd that a 2017 would have these issues. I never ever overheated it, but I think my temp gauge was lying to me because out of all the cars mine was always the one at the track that didnt overheat.

I'll be going JST after I get the car back. I'm going in a different direction than I was when I was tuned by Randy (mountune). Its just odd that a 2017 would have these issues. I never ever overheated it, but I think my temp gauge was lying to me because out of all the cars mine was always the one at the track that didnt overheat.
Do you have any pictures of the bad spark plug? It could have done a number of things to your engine but more than likely caused detonation.
Until they inspect the engine properly you can only speculate on a what is actually damaged. It could be a burnt valve, cracked ringlands or physical damage a piece of broke spark plug.

I highly doubt it was a tune if you had a damaged spark plug.

Report back what they find!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I recommend real temp gauges, I lost a 21k 2014 due to overheating on a 60 degree day, 60 MPH cruise due to a very slow leak from a failed $3 hose clamp, temp never went up, Oil temp on AP never went up, no warnings at all. How many millions of cars and they cannot build a reliable temp gauge???

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you have any pictures of the bad spark plug? It could have done a number of things to your engine but more than likely caused detonation.
Until they inspect the engine properly you can only speculate on a what is actually damaged. It could be a burnt valve, cracked ringlands or physical damage a piece of broke spark plug.

I highly doubt it was a tune if you had a damaged spark plug.

Report back what they find!
I do, just not handy to post on the forums. I will definitely let you guys know what exactly happened. But I just find it odd that suddenly the plug was seized into the head. When I got the threads out you could see where it started to get stuck in the plug hole and it doesnt make any sense, the entire electrode was present and nothing was broken on it, even the ground strap came out with the threads. I used a tiny camera to look in the cylinder and couldnt see any damage to the piston, nor the valves. It just really blew my mind.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Update from Ford on my car:

Compression test was low (we knew this already). Spark plug on cylinder 2 was soaked in oil. Removed oil filter, oil is full of metal shavings. So the diagnosis is:

Cylinder 2 injector failed, washed the piston rings out, piston rings failed due to lack of lubrication, engine ate piston rings, cylinder wall is damaged. Tech is suggesting to replace complete engine & turbo.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Username: Blip
Car and Year: 2014 FiST
Mileage: 60,449
What failed - Timing belt jumped a tooth
Modifications and tune: Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Cobb Exhaust, Dizzy E30 flash tune - had been running tune for about 300 miles
Under what circumstances did it fail: pulling hard onto the hwy, I hear a flapping noise that I believe is a flat front passenger tire. I pull over, leave the motor running to check the tire and see shreds of the serpentine belt on the pavement. Engine is idling fine no lights on dash. All gauges look good on accessport. I pop the hood to see the serpentine belt is beginning to fray but still holding tension and spinning all accessories. Right as I decide it’s good to drive off the hwy, the engine shuts off.
Any signs prior to failure?: The 4th gear pull right before the belt let go might've felt weaker than it did 2 hrs earlier that same night.
Warranty?: 449 miles out of warranty. Still plan to badger ford for some kind of concession

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Update on mine,

Cause of failure: low oil pressure, valve to piston contact on cylinders 1 & 3, and torn head gasket on cylinders 1 & 2 (this is likely what caused the spark plug to get stuck).

Upon disassembly the tech noted heavy scoring on the cylinder walls in cylinder 2. Cylinder 1 was heavily covered in carbon build up. Cylinders 1 & 3 have small indentations in the piston from when the valves hit the pistons. I have NO idea how that happned, I have never "money shifted" my car, however I have let friends borrow the car for extended periods of time so perhaps it was one of them. He also told me that coolant was leaking into cylinder 2 and a little into cylinder 1 because of a torn head gasket, likely damaged at the time of building the engine, it just got worse over time. I have photos, just have to get them uploaded to a hosting service.

As of today Ford has authorized a complete longblock replacement. The technician is trying to get them to replace the turbocharger as well due to metal shavings in the oil system.

Odd as it sounds, I bet the average age demographic for the focus ST is younger vs the Fist. Seems older people already kicked their kids out of the nest, while younger people need/want the space for kids. ( certainly exceptions, I'm 33 with 4 kids, so I'm on the other end of what i just said ).

I don't know about that, i'm 19 and have a fiST but my best friend is 21 and has the foST

Odd as it sounds, I bet the average age demographic for the focus ST is younger vs the Fist. Seems older people already kicked their kids out of the nest, while younger people need/want the space for kids. ( certainly exceptions, I'm 33 with 4 kids, so I'm on the other end of what i just said ).

I don't know about that, i'm 19 and have a fiST but my best friend is 21 and has the foST
I didn't know driver age was a factor when my engine threw a rod... [???:)]

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Final update: got the car back today. New engine is breaking in.

Total paid out of pocket: $220

Warranty paid for $7,700 in replacement parts, not including labor.

I got a new longblock, injectors, fuel rail, and turbocharger under warranty. I paid for the new HPFP and pressure sensor.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Final update: got the car back today. New engine is breaking in.

Total paid out of pocket: $220

Warranty paid for $7,700 in replacement parts, not including labor.

I got a new longblock, injectors, fuel rail, and turbocharger under warranty. I paid for the new HPFP and pressure sensor.
Why did you have to pay for a new HPFP & pressure Sensor? just curious.....Ford tried to get my Mother to pay for Oil and Filter on her 2017 Edge sport after the Oil pan was replaced due to its poor design and being plastic with a silicone gasket. I asked if they Were High currently and that the oil change is a part of the repair under powertrain warranty. She didn't say she wanted an oil change either..... [popcorn] What a bunch of Dumbys!