Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dismissed by the dealer....not happy.

Try escalating this to Ford Service:
p: 800.392.FORD
t: [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] @FordFiesta @Ford
f: facebook.com/OfficialFordST facebook.com/Ford

ask for Meagan or Crystal

I'd be royally pi55ed at such dismissive treatment.

Rhinopolis

Mine shifted better and had way less noises and clunks after installing a Cobb RMM. RMM was installed at approximatley 600miles. First thing i ordered. Worth the money.
I know that I'm way late on this, and I upgraded to Cobb RMM at less than 200 miles new. Outside of less "clunking" and smoother shifting, you will also better protect your transmission from the engine torquing back in to it on acceleration.

My axle seals (both of them) are leaking at less than 2700 miles new. Autonation Ford Gulf Freeway in Houston, TX is replacing under warranty and my car is heavily modified. They have given me no issues about replacing the seals and I pick it up this coming Tuesday.

Step #1 build a car with an unexceptable part. (In out case, the RMM ).
Step #2 do not offer a part that can replace it, while maintaining its not an issue.
Step#3 deny any and all warranty claims based on the fact the car has been modified in any way, IF the owner fixes it themselves.

My airbag light was on. All they had to do was reset the code on it. They refused to even plug the computer upto it because it has an upgraded factory fit intercooler.
My CV axle also broke because I had an intercooler.
The only think I got ford to actually replace on the entire car was the battery because.... Well... It was bad and the car wouldn't start, lol.

I specifically refused to buy and single little add on warranty in any shape or form when I bought the car
Because of this kind of thing. Everyone drives around feeling all warm inside with a "warranty in their back pocket", then, when you count on them to stand by the warranty/insurance they sold you.

But this isn't a ford problem... Its a new car problem. Its a warranty problem. All dealers do this crap.

All dealers and companies need to get their heads out of their ass's and start AT LEAST start working with people. Like... "Hey, we found your CV is bad,
But your car is modded. How about you pay the labor and warranty will pay for the part, otherwise, we can't do anything else for you.

Not asking for a new motor when someone puts 87oct in their E30 tuned car and it blows up, but maybe just a sign of good will like, "you buy a new engine and we will spilt the labor with you". Way to offer its more like, "hey, we found your motor is blown up after $680 worth of inspection, so pay us $6,100 to replace it on too of the $680 plus the cost of fluids, and it will be done in a week".

I personally replaced a turbo for a guy about 100 miles from my house. They charged him $365 in labor to find out the turbine shaft was completely broken due to his oil feedline popping off. Their offer? To sell him and new turbo and replace it at the cost of $2130.00, AND the $365 he already owed. So $2500.00 because his car had an aftermarket downpipe on it. The turbo had never been removed EVER. I replaced the turbo and did the labor for $800 total and I drove 100miles to do it. Just saying... Instead of taking advantage of someone like that, why not offer a middle ground. Make that person feel like they bent over backwards to get you fixed and back on the road with you BRAND NEW CAR !! Instead... After this car, he's likely not to buy another Ford again either.

I bought a Ford fiesta ST because Dodge was so crappy to me with my SRT4 that I couldn't even think of looking at a charger. Now ford has treated me the sameway.

It never ends.
Buy a car and just act like it doesn't have a warranty because, unless you buy a car that is 1000% perfect for you from the factory, it really doesn't have a warranty if you make it yours.
Hey Sourskittle,

I'm happy to get your feedback documented in my system. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM your name, VIN, and best daytime phone number.

Well, here's my service story.

Dropped car off at dealer around Labor Day (early September) for a loud whine in transmission.

They have my car for 2 weeks. I have to call them to say "hey what's going on" they say "oh yeah, come pick up your car. Our transmission tech went on vacation, won't be back for another 2 weeks." ...great.

They schedule me for first week of October. Told them I need a loaner car this time. They give me a mid 2000's Mercury, whatever.

Week later the Check engine light comes on the Mercury. I call to tell them so I am not liable, they say "was trying to find some time to call you, come pick up your car. Parts are on back order"

They tell me to drive the car until parts come in. I don't mind, I'd rather drive my car anyway. They ordered a whole transmission and a gear set. Told me whatever comes in first will get replaced. OK. Guess I'll have to wait.

A month + goes by, no update. Tried calling. Never got a call back from the service writer. Had no choice but to get ford service on the forum to help. Few days later I get a call saying parts arrived bring car in this upcoming Monday. About damn time.

I'm patient when it comes to parts on back order. I really didn't mind because my car is driveable, it just makes a really annoying whine while driving, which I've pretty much gotten used to. I just don't appreciate the lack of communication most of these dealers have. Can be really frustrating. Needless to say, this will be the last time I bring my car into the dealer for any warranty work. I purposely didn't buy any extra coverage or warranties because I knew that they screw you over like this. Glad I saved my money
Glad to read this was taken care of for you, frankiefiesta! You know where to find me should you need anything down the road.

Try escalating this to Ford Service:
p: 800.392.FORD
t: [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] @FordFiesta @Ford
f: facebook.com/OfficialFordST facebook.com/Ford

ask for Meagan or Crystal

I'd be royally pi55ed at such dismissive treatment.
Thanks for looping me in, OrangeFiST! :)

I know that I'm way late on this, and I upgraded to Cobb RMM at less than 200 miles new. Outside of less "clunking" and smoother shifting, you will also better protect your transmission from the engine torquing back in to it on acceleration.

My axle seals (both of them) are leaking at less than 2700 miles new. Autonation Ford Gulf Freeway in Houston, TX is replacing under warranty and my car is heavily modified. They have given me no issues about replacing the seals and I pick it up this coming Tuesday.
Glad this is being taken care of for you, Rhinopolis! I'll be here should you ever need anything in the future; don't hesitate to reach out.

Nick

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm at 37k miles now. I feel the way I feel about dealership service centers, and its not just a ford thing. I feel the sameway about Dodge. Ford has just gotten really bad, from what I've told, they require pictures of the car, and not just basic pics. Like intercooler, chargepipe, turbo charger, tire etc etc type pics to honor the warranty.

Now I realize we can't expect Ford to be everyone's personal pit crew free of charge. But there has to be a middle ground.

I'm a tech. I have resources, I can handle it. I feel for the people that get into these situations and don't have the resources I have. I mean the guy I helped out of the turbo situation was living with his parents and didn't have $2500.00 to fix something that has randomly happened to AT LEAST FOUR OTHER FIST, that I know of. And for the dealership to just go at it and say, " ahhHA !! We got you buy the balls, no one can do this job its a brand new car and only we have the parts and brains to fix it, so your suck with us, now pay us $2500 you don't have", that doesn't seem like what should be going on.

Dodge told me my aftermarket engine mount caused my cv axle BOOT to break. Not the axle shaft its self... THE BOOT was broken because I stiffed up one engine mount with 8k miles on the car, lmao. Ironically, srt4's will destroy axles pretty quick without upgraded engine mounts, I did the mod TO PROTECT the axles.

The fact #1 that the actual tech is the lowest paid guy at the dealership is issue #1 to. The same way the cook at a steakhouse is the lowest paid most the time. I didn't goto the steak house to get lots of re-fills on my drink.
I didn't goto the steak house to get hammered on mixed drinks... I went there for a great steak. Why is it the man that cooks that steak so perfectly, is paid less than the bartender, the waitress, and the manager? Samething... I didn't goto the dealership for the pleasure of talking to the service writer... Why does he make more money than the man I came to see, THE TECH !!? All seems backwards to me. I guess otherwise useless people need to make a living too... Wonder if the guy selling popcorn in Yankee stadium makes less than Derick Jetter, lol.

Its not because I'm trying to be nice, but the best thing about ford service that I can see, is the fact that they have a presence on the forum. I'm a big fan of that.

Also... We should all feel super insanely lucky. 2 different friends of mine bought focus's with the DSG type trans. Holy cow... What a nightmare !! Some of the nastiest stories I've heard of failure by dealerships ( 4 different ones in fact ). Best part? The first one sued ford and settles out of court, then ditches the car and buys.... A FOCUS ST !!! The 2nd guy? He takes an enormous hit on his trade in value ( because most people know those focus's can not be "fixed", they can only be repaired for the time being, until the failure happens Again and again and again. Anyway, loses big time and guess what he does...! Buys a Focus ST !!! Lol. Then...
Buys his wife a new mustang, lmao.

Moral of the story... Ford, keep doing what you want to people, we are all stupid enough to buy another one, just as long as its cool.

Need more proof? I bought a focus ZX3 BRAND NEW in 2001. I got totally corn-holed on the deal, it was my first new car and I was 19. They totally ripped me off. Even better? It was the worst car I've ever owned PEROID !!! It was bone stock to the day I traded it in. 3 transmissions (mostly while my wife drove it, it was an automatic ). It has so many failures, I stopped asking what had gone wrong when I picked it up. Wheel bearings were bad at 54k miles !! Wtf !!? 800k mile yodas have oem wheel bearings !! Lol. Anyway... All these years later, I bought a fist brand new.... The service has not changed, but the car is that special, that its forgivable in the grand scheme of things. Most super cars not built in the last 10 years were complete garbage when it came to reliability and those dealers take advantage of them more than anyone, but... It is worth it? Prob is. Lol.

Sadly... My new car right now, if I was in the market,
Would be a chevy.
I hate myself for saying that, and I'm sure they are just as bad as ford or dodge, but... The volt is a bad mofo.
To go fast... I'll just stick an LSx motor on a lawn mower to something, its not worth all this on a "nice, newer,
Car".

Record long post...
But.. Holy crap !!! Ford has been so reasonable with factory parts on this car !! Its shockly fair !! I bought new turbo coolant water lines yesterday for $30 shipped for both !! I'm impressed to
Death with fords parts pricing.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just figure I do not have a warranty because I mod my cars a great deal all the way up to building many parts. Every single time I have ever paid to have work done at a shop on a stock or modded vehicle I was unhappy with it as not done right, including roll cage at a roll cage specialty shop so I had to start building my own cages....

Exception, I have had a couple of spray in bed liners done and lots of window tinting and have been satisfied with those jobs but did my research and took them to the best places. One bed liner shop guy actually got drunk and backed another vehicle into the side of my 800 mile Tundra LTD and said he came back from lunch and found it that way, he did get fired at least and did an outstanding job on the liner, good thing he did that before getting hammered.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION]

To be honest even your battery being dead can be linked to your IC. C'mon man your smarter than this. Everyone knows when you upgrade the IC with a larger unit that it causes greater parasitic battery drain. NOOB! lol

As a side note i brought my car into the dealer which i loath doing because i found my left rear Rotor was all rusty. so i assumed the caliper was not working properly. I brought the car into the dealer, they tossed it up on the hoist pumpped the brake and said "nope everything is fine here", they then turned the rotors to clean them off and without changing the pads gave the car back. 2 days later i see rust on my rotors and now its 4-6 months later and i still have a ton of rust on my rotor, but its ok Ford said its all good like that. Most of the braking happens up front anyway right. i mean C'mon what are the rear brakes for anyway other than rear end stability under braking conditions. So as long as i have 1 working what could go wrong this winter. [boxface]

Second side note i changed the Xmsn fluid this weekend with Royal purple Synchromax (compatible with our trans. as confirmed on their website) and WOW does this thing feel like a new trans.

Update:

The dealership has had my car for almost 2 weeks. The situation was escalated to ford rep, and I'm still waiting to hear what the final word is, but both the shop foreman and the tech say they can't reproduce the issue, so I'll likely be driving it with a clicking, weak clutch until it breaks/gets so weak I can't drive it and replace the damned thing myself.

Bets of luck to you other folks.

Did that say, "see you at 37k miles", when you drove away? Lol
[SUB][/SUB]

Lol no, but I'm guessing you aren't wrong. I went ahead and picked the car up, cause nothing is going on with it while we wait for the regional customer service to do their thing. The dealership also addressed my very small amount of clutch play, saying that 1 inch is within normal operating conditions. That's barely any space to feather my clutch to go from a stop. Anyone else's this short? It wasn't like that when I bought the car, and wasn't like that until the last few months.

Thanks

Mine has always seemed really short to me since I got my car with 150 miles on it. Feels like I have to go way out before it starts engaging, and when it does it engages very quick. I don't know if it's typical of the FiST or not.

Last update:

Ford told me that they would inspect and replace parts, but if they found out that it was my fault, I'd have to pay for the repairs. I've never raced, launched, or really thrashed the car ever, just spirited driving, but I am worried to go through with it in fear that they'll just say it's my fault. I don't know what to do.

Also just noticed my axle is leaking, and my fan/heater system is clicking like crazy. Less than 20K miles on the car.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #32
I'd find a more accommodating dealer if I was you...there are some real jerk off dealers out there. They are more than happy to sell you the car but will totally put you on the back burner when something goes wrong. Also contact ford service on here. Good luck man.

JasonHaven

Threads like this make me really freaking paranoid about Ford's quality control and service. What terrible service you've received man, I agree with the above about having another dealer look at it, but maybe you don't have many choices.

I don't have any choice, really. It was Ford Regional manager who told me they'd look at it, but charge me if they deemed it my fault. I understand his position, completely but man, I just turned 19000 miles yesterday and I've never experienced this many issues on a car with so few miles. As much as I may have bitched about my old Saturn.....that thing hit 115000 miles without a single problem.

I don't have any choice, really. It was Ford Regional manager who told me they'd look at it, but charge me if they deemed it my fault. I understand his position, completely but man, I just turned 19000 miles yesterday and I've never experienced this many issues on a car with so few miles. As much as I may have bitched about my old Saturn.....that thing hit 115000 miles without a single problem.
Try not to worry about, "will they, won't they" honor my warranty question.

I've had a few problems too, and all have been taken care of. First, the top-right motor-mount (I've seen several threads since that detail the same problem. The bolts literally shear/snap off). Ford replaced the top-right motor-mount under warranty. Second the paint (I've seen several threads since that detail the same problem. The paint of the FiST is thin. It chips and peels easily). Ford sent my fist to a body shop and had my entire front bumper repainted. They did an embarrassingly, and shocking terrible job with touch up paint on the hood, but whatever (Ford isn't a luxury brand, so I learned not to expect luxury service). Third, the common DMF and trans clunking (I've seen several threads since. Some people have louder than normal DMF noises. Some people have clu-clack clu-clack sounds when shifting at low-load and lower-RPM). My DMF was a very extreme case. When it neutral, with the clutch out, it rattled like a folsom prison train. The first dealer said it was "normal characteristic." The second dealer had 3 techs that owned FiST's. Each of them said, "holy $H!T that's horrible" and almost immediately determined the DMF was the culprit. Ford replaced the clutch, DMF, and throw-out bearing under warranty.

^all of this happened in the first 15K miles^

I'm now at 22K miles and have small mounds of touch up paint (like an zit faced pubescent kid) all over my hood, normal DMF cl-clack cl-clack noises between gears, normal interior rattles, electric relay clicks from behind the glove box, normal interior-trim fit and finish gaps, etc. etc. etc.

The FiST is a sporty econo-box. I've learned to expect nothing more than that. And when I lower my expectations, accept the FiST for what it really is, instead of demanding it be as awesome as all the reviews portray it to be.... When I approach my drive with that attitude, things go much better. I tend to find myself flying out of 2nd gear corners with a $H!T-eating grin plastered over my face, thinking to myself, "How the hell did this little rat-trap just do that?!?! With a mere 197hp/220tq, and without independent rear suspension?!?!"

Stop worrying about your warranty. Stop worrying about the life expectancy of your FiST. Instead, drive your FiST like your mission is to break it!!! You'll be amazed how difficult it is to truly damage this little tin can...

Try not to worry about, "will they, won't they" honor my warranty question.

I've had a few problems too, and all have been taken care of. First, the top-right motor-mount (I've seen several threads since that detail the same problem. The bolts literally shear/snap off). Ford replaced the top-right motor-mount under warranty. Second the paint (I've seen several threads since that detail the same problem. The paint of the FiST is thin. It chips and peels easily). Ford sent my fist to a body shop and had my entire front bumper repainted. They did an embarrassingly, and shocking terrible job with touch up paint on the hood, but whatever (Ford isn't a luxury brand, so I learned not to expect luxury service). Third, the common DMF and trans clunking (I've seen several threads since. Some people have louder than normal DMF noises. Some people have clu-clack clu-clack sounds when shifting at low-load and lower-RPM). My DMF was a very extreme case. When it neutral, with the clutch out, it rattled like a folsom prison train. The first dealer said it was "normal characteristic." The second dealer had 3 techs that owned FiST's. Each of them said, "holy $H!T that's horrible" and almost immediately determined the DMF was the culprit. Ford replaced the clutch, DMF, and throw-out bearing under warranty.

^all of this happened in the first 15K miles^

I'm now at 22K miles and have small mounds of touch up paint (like an zit faced pubescent kid) all over my hood, normal DMF cl-clack cl-clack noises between gears, normal interior rattles, electric relay clicks from behind the glove box, normal interior-trim fit and finish gaps, etc. etc. etc.

The FiST is a sporty econo-box. I've learned to expect nothing more than that. And when I lower my expectations, accept the FiST for what it really is, instead of demanding it be as awesome as all the reviews portray it to be.... When I approach my drive with that attitude, things go much better. I tend to find myself flying out of 2nd gear corners with a $H!T-eating grin plastered over my face, thinking to myself, "How the hell did this little rat-trap just do that?!?! With a mere 197hp/220tq, and without independent rear suspension?!?!"

Stop worrying about your warranty. Stop worrying about the life expectancy of your FiST. Instead, drive your FiST like your mission is to break it!!! You'll be amazed how difficult it is to truly damage this little tin can...
Hi there Ashville. Thanks for the reply. I get what you are saying. I know this is an econobox with a turbo/mods, however the car still hasn't hit 20K miles and it shouldn't be made so poorly that its having this many issues. Is your clutch weak? Does it grab really really late? I have 1 inch of play in mine to feather to take off. I can do it, cause I've been driving a clutch since I was 15, but I'm sorry, this isn't normal for a clutch with less than 20K miles on it.

Here's the thing. I NEED the car to last. I paid good money for it (for what it is) and I should reasonably expect the hard parts to last a normal lifetime.

Do you have a lot of awesome roads over there in Asheville?

Hi there Ashville. Thanks for the reply. I get what you are saying. I know this is an econobox with a turbo/mods, however the car still hasn't hit 20K miles and it shouldn't be made so poorly that its having this many issues. Is your clutch weak? Does it grab really really late? I have 1 inch of play in mine to feather to take off. I can do it, cause I've been driving a clutch since I was 15, but I'm sorry, this isn't normal for a clutch with less than 20K miles on it.

Here's the thing. I NEED the car to last. I paid good money for it (for what it is) and I should reasonably expect the hard parts to last a normal lifetime.

Do you have a lot of awesome roads over there in Asheville?
You're right, it shouldn't be made so poorly that it's having this many issues so soon. But it is... At least Ford has fixed all my issues (so far). My clutch is not weak, nor does it grab really really late. If the car doesn't last, you can go through the lemon law process. It can be a pain in the @$$, but it can be (has been) done, and it's worth it if you truly have a lemon.

Until then, just try to enjoy the car. When my car starts acting up to the point that I'm no longer enjoying it, I just take it out and flog it on some back mountain roads (yes we have several awesome roads in the Asheville area).

Try double clutching every shift (up and down) for a few days and see if that helps any. If that doesn't help, try the other extreme (do a rolling launch, and SLAM second, short shift third, slow down and rev-match second, etc.). I've found that when I sense an issue on the rise with my FiST, if I drive it hard, instead of baby it, the issue often goes away. Funny thing about cars....

You're right, it shouldn't be made so poorly that it's having this many issues so soon. But it is... At least Ford has fixed all my issues (so far). My clutch is not weak, nor does it grab really really late. If the car doesn't last, you can go through the lemon law process. It can be a pain in the @$$, but it can be (has been) done, and it's worth it if you truly have a lemon.

Until then, just try to enjoy the car. When my car starts acting up to the point that I'm no longer enjoying it, I just take it out and flog it on some back mountain roads (yes we have several awesome roads in the Asheville area).

Try double clutching every shift (up and down) for a few days and see if that helps any. If that doesn't help, try the other extreme (do a rolling launch, and SLAM second, short shift third, slow down and rev-match second, etc.). I've found that when I sense an issue on the rise with my FiST, if I drive it hard, instead of baby it, the issue often goes away. Funny thing about cars....
Do you have any mods? Mine is bone stock, and it seemed like they were immediately weary of it being caused by me thrashing the car. It's a daily driver with at least 70% of the mileage being nothing but highway at 75MPH on the G. Bush turnpike in TX.

I'm not sure a lemon law process would even work. I don't know much about it, but I no longer live in the state the vehicle was purchased. Not sure if that matters. I doubt I'll deal with that.

I do try to enjoy the car. The times where the turbo spools quickly and pushes me back into my seat put a smile on my face, but then a mile down the road when I try again and don't feel anything till 3500 RPM, it makes me sad. I run Torque on my phone to watch the boost, and generally even floored, it never goes above 17-19PSI. Sometimes it'll hit 20-21 and feels great. Those are the times that it boosted early, not slow and late. I probably have a leak somewhere. If I do, it is the weirdest behaving boost leak ever because it is not consistent at all. Torque also shows that sometimes I have misfires.....not sure how accurate that is.

I don't know man, I'm rambling. It just doesn't feel the same as it did last year. I'm just a sad sack about it. lol

me32

1000 Post Club
Have you tried making sure all your hoses are tight by tighting each clamp? Alot of cars had issues with not being tight from the factory or some lossened over time.

Have you tried making sure all your hoses are tight by tighting each clamp? Alot of cars had issues with not being tight from the factory or some lossened over time.
Yea I have. I actually got under there and did that about 2 weeks ago. It seemed to help for a day, then went right back to acting weird. I think I need to replace those worm clamps with something a bit better.