Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Short people and the clutch pedal.

I am 5'6" an drive with the seat almost all the way up in order to get the clutch pedal all the way down. As a result I jerk the brakes sometimes. I'd really like to sit further back. There are clutch extenders out there for Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. They are made by Bondra Performance engineering. I asked them if they would consider making one for the Fiesta ST but they said no.

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceengineering.com/Mustang-EZ-Clutch-Pedal-Extension-MusEZ.htm Be sure to check out the pics and comments.

I then messaged Mike at Boomba if he could consider making an extender and he said he would forward the idea to his engineers, and probably see if there is a market for it. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Needless to say this does not stop me from driving the car. Any other short peep out there have the same experience above and are interested in something like this? I think he'd like to know if there is any market for this sort of thing. I think it would be beneficial for 5 speed base Fiestas as well.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I am 5'6" an drive with the seat almost all the way up in order to get the clutch pedal all the way down. As a result I jerk the brakes sometimes. I'd really like to sit further back. There are clutch extenders out there for Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. They are made by Bondra Performance engineering. I asked them if they would consider making one for the Fiesta ST but they said no.

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceengineering.com/Mustang-EZ-Clutch-Pedal-Extension-MusEZ.htm Be sure to check out the pics and comments.

I then messaged Mike at Boomba if he could consider making an extender and he said he would forward the idea to his engineers, and probably see if there is a market for it. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Needless to say this does not stop me from driving the car. Any other short peep out there have the same experience above and are interested in something like this? I think he'd like to know if there is any market for this sort of thing. I think it would be beneficial for 5 speed base Fiestas as well.
You should be able to make a plate similar to the gas pedal spare to raise the clutch forward by about 3/8" not much I know but the bolt length is the limiting factor. You could use a piece of wood as the proto. To go thicker you would need a coupling nut. I know a guy who made a 1" think pedal spacer for his gas pedal, this means it can be done for the clutch as well.

I have the opposite problem (I'm 6'2") - want to trade legs?

On a more serious note though, I would check with other companies that manufacture gas pedal spacers specifically. Looks like Active Shift Designs has 3D printed spacers for the gas pedal - they might be able to work out a clutch one for you?

I have the same problem and had to actually move my seat much closer as I was creasing the leather on the recaro at my left leg. I recently 3d printed out my own gas pedal spacer and may look at what it would take to design/print a clutch one as well. I'll let you know if I do come up with something that works.

Although as I think about it, would we want to space it from where it mounts? With the gas pedal it isn't a huge deal as it is not constantly pushed all the way to the floor. Is it possible over time that the extra angle could cause some sort of clutch failure or am I overthinking things? Either way I'll take a look sometime soon.

After making a throttle pedal spacer and looking at examples online for Mustangs, etc, I went through the trouble of drawing/fabricating/installing/hating it. I removed the rubber pad and put the spacer between the plastic clutch pedal and the rubber pad. Felt weird. Sounds dumb, but tape a piece of wood to the clutch pedal and try it. I thought it would be great, but didn't like it at all. You might like it, but try a sample before you commit.

I feel you bro. I find myself shifting my hips like a mofo, but mostly just getting into reverse while looking backwards. I find that messing with the seat incline and actual way you sit in your car and really help us short people out lol. hope this helps... [thankyou]

I also made & installed 1" spacers under the rear seat mounts to position the driver's seat differently. My short legs were dangling. Again, something you might have to play with before you find the ideal spacer. I put spacers under the passenger seat, too. My wife & I were used to boring Scion xA seats.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
OK, am I missing something?

Why not just collapse or extend the steering column then adjust the seat so you can reach the peddles comfortably.

Dave

MPA

I feel you bro. I find myself shifting my hips like a mofo, but mostly just getting into reverse while looking backwards. I find that messing with the seat incline and actual way you sit in your car and really help us short people out lol. hope this helps... [thankyou]
it took me a while to find a good seating position, the seat incline definitely helped. The brakes are really touchy to begin with - it took a little bit to get used to.

I'm 5'6" w/ 29" in seam.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
OK, am I missing something?

Why not just collapse or extend the steering column then adjust the seat so you can reach the peddles comfortably.

Dave
In the original post this was described as being comfortable for the clutch (which is a full depress) makes the accelerator and brake too close (as they need less travel to engage). I kinda agree with this as my leg for the clutch is more straight on the knee (not fully straight as that is dangerous) than the gas/brake leg.

OP
OrangeFiST
Thread Starter #11
I have the opposite problem (I'm 6'2") - want to trade legs?

On a more serious note though, I would check with other companies that manufacture gas pedal spacers specifically. Looks like Active Shift Designs has 3D printed spacers for the gas pedal - they might be able to work out a clutch one for you?
I'm not greedy. Just give me 2 inches so I'll be 5'8" and you 6' even. [histerical]

OP
OrangeFiST
Thread Starter #13
Although as I think about it, would we want to space it from where it mounts? With the gas pedal it isn't a huge deal as it is not constantly pushed all the way to the floor. Is it possible over time that the extra angle could cause some sort of clutch failure or am I overthinking things? Either way I'll take a look sometime soon.
Well, I wouldn't want to space anything from where it mounts. Overcomplicates things. Just something on top of the pedal so I can sit further back. As far as seat angle, I don't want the angle shifted too far downwards because I'd feel like I was slipping out of the seat.

The extender on my Mustang makes the pedal higher as per the link. It is one of the best mods out there imo.

I thought of just putting a block of wood on it but it just seems kinda tacky and it would be difficult to make it to the contour of the pedal.
[MENTION=879]D1JL[/MENTION]: apparently, you're not short <smile>

Just remembered this; relevant:

[video=youtube;B48UFIPCA44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B48UFIPCA44[/video]

I'm 5'4" during the winter. 5'5" during the summer. 5'5.5" after a chiroprator session. [wave]

I don't drive with the seat full forward & I'm not a fan of driving with the seat at it's lowest height setting either. So I had to fiddle around with the incline some with a tad bit of lean to the back & steering column all the way down. Then during spirit drive sessions I just adjust back & lumbar.

[driving]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The clutch pedal does not need to be fully depressed, just enough to disengage the clutch, why there are clutch pedal stops made to help make faster shifts, not for the FiST yet but eventually probably will.

The optimum driving position is far more forward that most understand, but not binding up the knees, elbows, etc....regardless of how far the clutch can be depressed as long as disengaged though not needing to go to the floor. The leverage which results in control over the steering wheel is most important as you can receive and input corrections more precisely.

I am 5',8" with a 29" inseam, makes ingress and egress a bit more "fun" but the car is worth the effort:)