Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2fast's Autocross Thread

So I bought the Fiesta ST because i wanted a fun reliable daily that is also capable of winning nationally at Autocross Events. I started racing autocross 4 years ago with my highly modified Mazdaspeed 3 and learned a lot in that car. But because it put me into SMF i had absolutely no chance at winning my class, raw times, nor pax times.

Bring in the little Fiesta....

I bought the car used with 30k on the clock (ford employee lease). It looks practically new. I made sure to get the Recaro's to keep me in place while racing and the color i wanted all for a very reasonable price.

The fiesta does Extremely well in the stock class H Street, so not many mods can be done. I looked at this as a good thing for me to keep me from spending money and making the car into the mazda again.... All my money is going into wheels and tires for racing. Then the plan is to just drive the shit out of it.

I had barely enough time to drive the car home before the next event, so i just raced it with whatever shit tires and alignment it came with. I had a ton of fun, did halfway decent, and got to learn the car right away.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.44.31 AM.png

Now to get serious. I bought some Sparco Asseto Gara's because OZ was out of stock for another month. OZ makes Sparco wheels so they are still great wheels, just slightly heavier. Still, i'm dropping about 6lbs a corner and have that sticky sticky rubber of the Bridgestone Potenza Re71R in 205/50/16.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.53.11 AM.jpg

Now back to racing...

IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1492.jpg

Results from this weekend. Much better.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.25.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.25.00 AM.png

I really enjoyed the car. I got the front aligned to just a tin bit of toe in. the rear is all fucked from not having adjustment back there. I might try and unbolt everything, get it more square and bolt it back up. Regardless in stock form the car is very neutral feeling, easy to point it where you want, and plenty quick with it's little turbo. I hope to keep improving my driving, getting to top Pax regionally then trying out a National Event at some point this season.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 9.02.57 AM.png

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #4
Are you coming out to the Nationals Tour event at PPIR June 9th-11th?
At this point i have not made any national plans. The past years i haven't even been close, so it wasn't really a thought. Based on how i did this weekend i had a few people mention i should try an event who have gone to Nationals in the past. I have raced Colorado region AutoX in 2014 and 2015, not sure if you were around then or not. How late can you sign up?

GREAT job, and great looking car! [thumb]

Are you (eventually/ever) going to bother with the Koni Sport dampers?
Thanks! I probably will when i need to buy new ones. I don't see myself spending this money this season while the stock dampers are working just fine.

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #5
Double post, sorry. My computer bugged out.

Siestarider

Always fine to hear Fist competes well. The venue does not matter, just performance. Seems our car is perfect for AX, but anyone who has never tried cannot understand the reflexes required to win. The car cannot do it alone. Congrats.

At this point i have not made any national plans. The past years i haven't even been close, so it wasn't really a thought. Based on how i did this weekend i had a few people mention i should try an event who have gone to Nationals in the past. I have raced Colorado region AutoX in 2014 and 2015, not sure if you were around then or not. How late can you sign up?

Thanks! I probably will when i need to buy new ones. I don't see myself spending this money this season while the stock dampers are working just fine.
I think it is a week or so out. rmsolo.org is our regional website

Great post and great driving! Congrats!

What're the specs on those wheels, btw?

I'll be there, but our local group also considers it a regional points event. So I know I don't stand a chance against the seasoned pros, but seat time is seat time.

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #12
Found an action shot from last event. We have another double header coming up this weekend at our largest venue. It is a sealed surface so much less grip and tire wear, possible air time and 1:00+ run potential.

IMG_1555.JPG

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #14
Had an event today. Its one of my favorite venues with lots of elevation changes and a big area. The downside is the surface is sealed resulting in much less grip, and much more tire squeal!

I got second in Pax today again. Can't seem to take the top spot. This list is actually incorrect and they need to fix it, the rx8 definitely did not run that time. I also finally got my own helmet and was able to rig up a pretty sweet view with the go pro.

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 7.31.13 PM.png

[video=youtube;i4Mn7pvRLPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Mn7pvRLPQ&t=4s[/video]

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^GREAT! [thumb]

That is a great course/venue, but yes, I am surprised that there is not a high gloss, polished sheen coming off of that surface, even under clouds, since I would NEVER believe that RE71Rs could ever even be that 'squeally' on ANY surface! [crazyeye]

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #16
It happened

PSYCHED! I DID IT!

Yesterday I finished first in Pax for the first time ever and by a decent margin. The course was better than Saturday's with higher consistent speeds. This car loves high speed slaloms.

Screen shot 2017-05-08 at 6.05.16 PM.png

I'm also real excited about being in the top 10 raw times also. There are some fast people i beat straight up which doesn't typically happen. Here is a top 20 photo. PS (8th place is actually an RS. i almost had him ;)

Screen shot 2017-05-08 at 6.05.34 PM.png

I had the go pro out again. This is the video of my 52.5 run which clinched me top Pax. After this however on my last run of the day i eclipsed that time with a 52.0 to secure my lead even further. The go pro had died at this point. I believe i made up most of that time on the last turn, and maybe a little bit of time in the slalom. If you watch closely i get a little out of shape and slightly wide halfway through the slalom.

[video=youtube;2baUR-MDr6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2baUR-MDr6M[/video]

Nevertheless extremely excited, and it makes me want to try a National event that much more.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Dang. Nice driving. I miss having the feedback of the re71. So far the 1.5s on surfaces I have ran on been silient

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #18
Dang. Nice driving. I miss having the feedback of the re71. So far the 1.5s on surfaces I have ran on been silient
Thank you. That surface is sealed though. They are usually NEVER that noisy, its just that one lot with a sealed surface. the squeal all over the place. I also tried youtube's image stabilization, which i found out is horrible. so i'm re uploading without it now and will replace the video

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
PSYCHED! I DID IT!

Yesterday I finished first in Pax for the first time ever and by a decent margin. The course was better than Saturday's with higher consistent speeds. This car loves high speed slaloms.

View attachment 14490

I'm also real excited about being in the top 10 raw times also. There are some fast people i beat straight up which doesn't typically happen. Here is a top 20 photo. PS (8th place is actually an RS. i almost had him ;)

View attachment 14491

I had the go pro out again. This is the video of my 52.5 run which clinched me top Pax. After this however on my last run of the day i eclipsed that time with a 52.0 to secure my lead even further. The go pro had died at this point. I believe i made up most of that time on the last turn, and maybe a little bit of time in the slalom. If you watch closely i get a little out of shape and slightly wide halfway through the slalom.

[video=youtube;2baUR-MDr6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2baUR-MDr6M[/video]

Nevertheless extremely excited, and it makes me want to try a National event that much more.
That is GREAT!! [twothumb] [driving]

What perplexes me though, is that a SHIFTER Kart is only taking ~1-3 seconds out of non-modified class cars?!?!? [???:)]

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #20
That is GREAT!! [twothumb] [driving]

What perplexes me though, is that a SHIFTER Kart is only taking ~1-3 seconds out of non-modified class cars?!?!? [???:)]
yea i never really pay too much attention to their times to be honest. but i wonder if it has anything to do with that surface and the kart balance. at our other venues he was a bit more ahead of the field. it could have also been running badly this weekend. in my first post you can see one of the events he was in he was 4+ seconds ahead