Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Choosing Tune and Mods Question?

Hi everyone, very new on the forum and only had my fiesta for 2 weeks and 800 miles still breaking it in. I’ve read as much as time allows about options and approach with tuning. He led out the sticky for tuning for beginners. Very useful. I’ve tuned pretty much everhung I’ve ever owned but it’s alwaus good to research the new unfamiliar platform and ask without trying to clutter up the boards too much.

My questions are mainly for the Mountune option MP215 vs the 230. I would like to retain the factory warranty as this is my DD and Work car so like to keep it efficient and reliable. Is the MP215 very noticeable over stock? How is it compared to the 230 package? I’m not out there trying to beat cars or what not or keep up with v6 mini vans as I saw some referred to it :).

Do I have to have the mountune intake with the MP215 package? I’d rather skip it for one I don’t like the look and the oem intakes now days on FI cars are pretty efficient. Rather save the $300 bucks and just do a filter and use the money for a lower motor mount.

As far as the dealer installing the tune and retaining the warranty, can anyone tell me what they charge for This “official” mod friendly tune that takes 8 min to do?

So far my goals are just rather simple, break in oil change at 1200 mi. I’m use to BMW intervals and they do this on new motors. Then switch to full synthetic M1 perhaps.
1. Smooth out the rather lumpy oem tune with a stage 1.
2. Lower Motor Mount
3. Intercooler (maybe).
4. What do you guys do with the plugs on the stage 1 tune? Leave them? Gap them lower?
5. Going to enjoy the car for many many miles :).

Oh I changed the rear shocks to the Koni STR.T and I’m so sold it made a huge difference in ride. Only mod so far :) @ 400 Miles lol.

Thanks in advance.

I am not an expert on the Mountune tunes, but I think that only the 215 preserves your warranty and only if it is installed by your dealer. Also, not too long ago Mountune did not authorize it for a 2017 or later car, but that might have changed. I think with the 215 you will be buying a Cobb Accessport that is totally locked down--you can only use it to install and uninstall that single Mountune tune. You can't even use it for other Mountune tunes, not to mention Cobb, Stratified, Dizzy or the multiple other great tuners here and the hundreds of choices they offer you. But like I said, I'm not an expert on the 215 (though I do have a Mountune tune on my AP which I am not running right now). So if I am wrong about this stuff, please pardon me and folks can spare me the high drama attacks that seem to be becoming all too frequent around here. Hopefully other more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I only have the MP215, and haven't driven any other tune to compare it to. I'm very happy with it. Like the stock motor, it limits boost in 1st and 2nd. More power than stock in those gears, but you don't get the whole enchilada until 3rd. Way more torque at low-mid range, where you normally drive it, with a nice hp bump in the top end, too. The car just feels more "urgent."

The '17 DOESN'T get the warranty. They're still waiting on CARB cert. in California, last I saw. I had the dealer install it, anyway (shift kit and airbox are covered, but not the tune), just to cover my ass.

The tech refused to flash the tune. It was saying my car was a '16. Build date was 7/17. I called mountune and talked to Randy Robles. He couldn't explain it. He told me the tune is identical for all model years, so I went ahead and flashed it myself. Instant difference, and no problems.

So, the allure of having a warranty on the tune is out the window. I don't worry about it. Randy also told me they'd had zero problems and no claims regarding the tune in any car.

If I were to do it again, I'd do it myself and save the $241 I was charged for that and the shift kit. This stuff won't break, it's faster than the Cobb stage 1 (according to people here who've driven both), and the less-than-full boost in the lower gears is kinder to the drivetrain.

The handset is a disappointment (they took out a lot of gauges, for some reason), but I have no real need for it anyway. Just flash it and forget it.

I've not experienced any issue with the stock RMM, but I don't do burnouts or care about 0-60 times.

You don't have to do anything with the plugs. An intercooler wouldn't hurt, but it just doesn't get hot enough, frequently enough around here that it's an issue for me. if I were in AZ, I might think differently.

Mine's just a DD. I'll never race it or autocross it. I was happy with it stock, but I got the tune anyway, and it makes the car that much more fun. I plan to keep it for years, just as it is.

Since there's really no warranty-friendly tune available for '17-'18 cars now, just do what you like. A mild tune won't hurt anything. A shift kit is nice, too, but you don't NEED one. I like the intake just for the noises it makes, and it looks stock. With the symposer deleted, I can hear the "whoosh-pshh" with the radio turned down. Sometimes I turn it down just to hear that.

I think Cobb sells their stage 1 with a panel filter and a RMM. It bumps the torque a lot, but not much more hp, from what I've read. Mountune stuff is expensive, but high quality, and they had to jump through a lot of hoops to get Ford's okay for the tune. No worries about reliability.

I spent a lot, but I'm not doing anything more to it. Whatever you buy, wait for some holiday deals, or get a used AP from someone here with a bunch of tunes already on it. Just my 2 cents.

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #5
I only have the MP215, and haven't driven any other tune to compare it to. I'm very happy with it. Like the stock motor, it limits boost in 1st and 2nd. More power than stock in those gears, but you don't get the whole enchilada until 3rd. Way more torque at low-mid range, where you normally drive it, with a nice hp bump in the top end, too. The car just feels more "urgent."

The '17 DOESN'T get the warranty. They're still waiting on CARB cert. in California, last I saw. I had the dealer install it, anyway (shift kit and airbox are covered, but not the tune), just to cover my ass.

The tech refused to flash the tune. It was saying my car was a '16. Build date was 7/17. I called mountune and talked to Randy Robles. He couldn't explain it. He told me the tune is identical for all model years, so I went ahead and flashed it myself. Instant difference, and no problems.

So, the allure of having a warranty on the tune is out the window. I don't worry about it. Randy also told me they'd had zero problems and no claims regarding the tune in any car.

If I were to do it again, I'd do it myself and save the $241 I was charged for that and the shift kit. This stuff won't break, it's faster than the Cobb stage 1 (according to people here who've driven both), and the less-than-full boost in the lower gears is kinder to the drivetrain.

The handset is a disappointment (they took out a lot of gauges, for some reason), but I have no real need for it anyway. Just flash it and forget it.

I've not experienced any issue with the stock RMM, but I don't do burnouts or care about 0-60 times.

You don't have to do anything with the plugs. An intercooler wouldn't hurt, but it just doesn't get hot enough, frequently enough around here that it's an issue for me. if I were in AZ, I might think differently.

Mine's just a DD. I'll never race it or autocross it. I was happy with it stock, but I got the tune anyway, and it makes the car that much more fun. I plan to keep it for years, just as it is.

Since there's really no warranty-friendly tune available for '17-'18 cars now, just do what you like. A mild tune won't hurt anything. A shift kit is nice, too, but you don't NEED one. I like the intake just for the noises it makes, and it looks stock. With the symposer deleted, I can hear the "whoosh-pshh" with the radio turned down. Sometimes I turn it down just to hear that.

I think Cobb sells their stage 1 with a panel filter and a RMM. It bumps the torque a lot, but not much more hp, from what I've read. Mountune stuff is expensive, but high quality, and they had to jump through a lot of hoops to get Ford's okay for the tune. No worries about reliability.

I spent a lot, but I'm not doing anything more to it. Whatever you buy, wait for some holiday deals, or get a used AP from someone here with a bunch of tunes already on it. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you so much, so much good info that you just gave me. Sucks about the 17’s not having the approval for the warranty? Any idea when the CARB approval will be? Can ford really tell if the car was flashed really if you return the map back to OEM?

I’m really just considering getting the mountune stage 1 map and AP and filter and just call it a day for $500 bucks. The intake just isn’t worth it for me and it’s a $1000 for the MP215 that won’t even allow me to retain warranty.

I too use my car for DD purposes and Work duty. Pretty much want to keep it minimal as I plan on keeping it. Just tune, filter, Motor Mount, tint. I did an oem shark fin and already installed the Koni STR.t shocks it made such an awesome difference.

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just buy and AP3 from stratified with a Flashtune version 4.0...I promise you will not be disappointed....plus a RMM and a high flow air filter. Don't fall into the stage crap....its worthless. I was In the same boat as you worried about warranty...then just said F- it ...took the leap and will never look back! Single handedly the best Performance mod I've bought for the FiST. Most of all Enjoy your FiST....[driving]

Just buy and AP3 from stratified with a Flashtune version 4.0...I promise you will not be disappointed....plus a RMM and a high flow air filter. Don't fall into the stage crap....its worthless. I was In the same boat as you worried about warranty...then just said F- it ...took the leap and will never look back! Single handedly the best Performance mod I've bought for the FiST. Most of all Enjoy your FiST....[driving]
same boat! Told myself I was going to keep it stock, now after 6 months and 13k miles of ownership I'm almost full bolt on. oops.

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #8
Thanks, I’ll look into that. That was my plan anyway just tune, filter and Mount. Been around tuning cars and on today’s cars the intakes that cost hundreds of dollars are just for noise. You’d be lucky to gain 1 hp on the FiST. The $1000 package for the MP215 is a little pricey IMO.

Does Stratified leave the AP unlocked and capable if you want to do things in the future? Also do you load your oem map when servicing the car at the dealer?

HBEcoBeaST

Thanks, I’ll look into that. That was my plan anyway just tune, filter and Mount. Been around tuning cars and on today’s cars the intakes that cost hundreds of dollars are just for noise. You’d be lucky to gain 1 hp on the FiST. The $1000 package for the MP215 is a little pricey IMO.

Does Stratified leave the AP unlocked and capable if you want to do things in the future? Also do you load your oem map when servicing the car at the dealer?
Stratified leaves it 'unlocked' and you can have different tunes and switch between them or go back to OEM.

I personally would flash back to stock if under warranty and taking it to a Ford dealer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Stratified leaves it 'unlocked' and you can have different tunes and switch between them or go back to OEM.

I personally would flash back to stock if under warranty and taking it to a Ford dealer.

Yes its is unlocked...I have done the load and unload the tune many times when going in for work. Never had an issue...I even have my Boobma BOV adapter on it and they still haven't said doodle to me about any of it all.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #11
Yes its is unlocked...I have done the load and unload the tune many times when going in for work. Never had an issue...I even have my Boobma BOV adapter on it and they still haven't said doodle to me about any of it all.

Niceeee! Thanks guys this really is helping me make up my mind!

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #12

Is stratified much better then Mountune or is it about the same across the board for a basic stage 1 93
Octane tune?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Stratified is one of the best flash tunes....their latest version is 4.0....I have 3.1...my next will be big Turbo and done by Jason@ Dizzytuning...I'm very excited to tune with him....I've heard great things....besides stratified has a backlog for the Protune last time I checked....

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #14
Stratified is one of the best flash tunes....their latest version is 4.0....I have 3.1...my next will be big Turbo and done by Jason@ Dizzytuning...I'm very excited to tune with him....I've heard great things....besides stratified has a backlog for the Protune last time I checked....

Awesome man thank you so much. I think I’ll go with stratified. Good luck with the big turbo, that’s very exciting.

slopoke

I started my mods similar to your plans. Funny thing about modifications, they can be addictive. Case in point, I was just going to do a FMIC, air box and a tune. Well that changed and now I have a hybrid Revo turbo, Ram crossover pipe with Whoosh intake hose, Whoosh catted downpipe and Cobb exhaust, Wilwood BBK, larger rear brakes, Mishimoto hot and cold pipes and Eibach lowering springs.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you so much, so much good info that you just gave me. Sucks about the 17’s not having the approval for the warranty? Any idea when the CARB approval will be? Can ford really tell if the car was flashed really if you return the map back to OEM?

I’m really just considering getting the mountune stage 1 map and AP and filter and just call it a day for $500 bucks. The intake just isn’t worth it for me and it’s a $1000 for the MP215 that won’t even allow me to retain warranty.

I too use my car for DD purposes and Work duty. Pretty much want to keep it minimal as I plan on keeping it. Just tune, filter, Motor Mount, tint. I did an oem shark fin and already installed the Koni STR.t shocks it made such an awesome difference.

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.
No problem. That sounds like a good deal. I would have gotten the same thing if I didn't want an intake.

I have no idea if or when it'll ever get approved. I just like the safety of a quasi-approved tune. It's good. It makes a big difference you can totally feel.

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #17
I started my mods similar to your plans. Funny thing about modifications, they can be addictive. Case in point, I was just going to do a FMIC, air box and a tune. Well that changed and now I have a hybrid Revo turbo, Ram crossover pipe with Whoosh intake hose, Whoosh catted downpipe and Cobb exhaust, Wilwood BBK, larger rear brakes, Mishimoto hot and cold pipes and Eibach lowering springs.
Ha that escalated out of control quickly didn’t it. I’m going to keep it simple for a good while it needs to be a solid daily 6 days a week for a 66 Mile round trip. I like the car mostly as is after the rear Koni STR.T install but I want to sort out that dumb rev hang and lumpy slow feeling rev down low.

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #19
LOL I flashed a MAP stage 1 tune @ 15k, Stratified Stage 2 tune 10k later......no issues.......what warranty???
Nice! What is the main difference in feel between the two stages powerband wise?

The MAP tune, pulled HARD down low (with a bit of part throttle surging) and then fell off rather quickly around 5-5.5k
Strat tune pulled just as hard down low, but without the surging and shift feel was also improved with the strat tune.
I'm running a Dizzy Stage 2 flash tune now, haven't done any datalogs or revisions yet.
So far, it's down on power (according to AP Est Tq numbers, but I don't think they're too accurate) from the previous two tunes, but my mods are also more stock than before.
Once I have a 3in intake setup and a hot side pipe again, I'll be closer to my previous mod level.