Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Soon to be owner, need expert advice from awesome forum.

anticon

Sorry, but I just don't get why everyone with Recaro's has to INSIST on pushing and pushing and pushing them like you are a POS for not getting them... This is NOT directed at any one personally, this is an overall point: The Recaro's are 2 thousand dollars on a car worth around $18k without them, some of us just can't justify it and also need to get in and out of our car multiple times per day and all that bolstering makes it a little more difficult too... and by getting in and out multiple times per day we are going to wear out the bolsters and make them look like crap, with worn spots etc... Again, not directed at anyone personally, but it's a personal choice as much as color to me: someone either wants them or not, tracks their car and insists on them or uses it for deliveries or is on a budget like me... Bottom-line is if you think you want them and can afford them, go for it, but it's not something to just keep pushing on people like you are going to make a difference on what they feel they want or need in an expensive option like that... FWIW, my stock seats actually broke in more over time so I sink in more and feel more bolsted naturally compared to new for sure.
This is a very good point, as with everything it really depends on your situation and what you want out of the car. I agree, the cost of the upgrade is definitely significant, especially with the price point of the car. I get in and out of my car twice a day, both times are in covered parking so the Recaros don't take much of a beating and I don't get too annoyed. I don't track the car, but I bought it based on the handling reviews, and so I got the Recaros and no sunroof. It also had a significant discount (about the price of the recaros) so it didn't hurt as much. My car is mostly only driven as a commuter unless I take it out on the weekend on the winding roads in the hills. I will say my commute has a short curvy section, so I do get to use it for its purpose very briefly almost every day of the week.

One thing to add about the Recaros, I don't think the heaters in the seat are that great. They heat up fast, and hot, but they only have two temp settings (ON or OFF), and they also cycle on and off automatically. I thought the heaters were broken when I first started using them. I was used to having multiple consistent temperatures in my previous car.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Because the cloth seats stuck ass. I've had both, and would not recommend cloth to anyone, not even the budget minded.

There is a reason "wtb recaro seats" threads come up once a week here.
Then their mind is made up already, cool, and so is mine, no need to pound it into anyone... the regular seats, (this isn't a '84 Oldsmobile with "cloth" seats) don't suck, I tried both and they are far easier to get in and out of... and unless you are tracking it or rallying, auto-crossing whatever then they are overkill, again, no one needs to be told what to do, they already know if they want them or not.... and the reason for WTB Recaro is they obviously have money now to do or got a great deal used, it's not because their mind suddenly changed, it's not rocket science.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
This is a very good point, as with everything it really depends on your situation and what you want out of the car. I agree, the cost of the upgrade is definitely significant, especially with the price point of the car. I get in and out of my car twice a day, both times are in covered parking so the Recaros don't take much of a beating and I don't get too annoyed. I don't track the car, but I bought it based on the handling reviews, and so I got the Recaros and no sunroof. It also had a significant discount (about the price of the recaros) so it didn't hurt as much. My car is mostly only driven as a commuter unless I take it out on the weekend on the winding roads in the hills. I will say my commute has a short curvy section, so I do get to use it for its purpose very briefly almost every day of the week.

One thing to add about the Recaros, I don't think the heaters in the seat are that great. They heat up fast, and hot, but they only have two temp settings (ON or OFF), and they also cycle on and off automatically. I thought the heaters were broken when I first started using them. I was used to having multiple consistent temperatures in my previous car.
Yeah, that's all I mean man, they work perfect for you, for some of us we already know we want them or not... I tried them and decided that with a big kid sitting in front now and the in and out of the car I do with no track or racing at all really, they just weren't worth the cost after I test drove one first and then promptly offered me a lousy deal too..

danbfree

3000 Post Club
With the '14 beware of:
-MS Sync being a joyful pain to deal with
-The vent where the dashboard meets the windshield clicking because that part is garbage.
-A developing crack and/or cracked head on the motor due to an engineering flaw from the factory. This was only a flaw for SOME of the months of the 2014 production cars (IIRC November 2013-January 2014). This crack in the head not only leads to the head malfunctioning and loss of power, but also, as we have seen in some cases, a horrendous and agonizing engine-bay fire.

As far as the '17s go, I haven't heard a peep of issues, but that may just be due to their low mileage at this point.
You'll find this interesting then, actual list of all the changes and why I recommend '16+
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...hanges-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years

With the '14 beware of:
-MS Sync being a joyful pain to deal with

-A developing crack and/or cracked head on the motor due to an engineering flaw from the factory. This was only a flaw for SOME of the months of the 2014 production cars (IIRC November 2013-January 2014). This crack in the head not only leads to the head malfunctioning and loss of power, but also, as we have seen in some cases, a horrendous and agonizing engine-bay fire.

As far as the '17s go, I haven't heard a peep of issues, but that may just be due to their low mileage at this point.
Uh oh. Mine was built in December of 2014 and I have 24000 miles on it. At what point does this occur? (edit: I did some more reading and there was a BandAid fix of installing a coolant level sensor.) I also remember there have been problems with the transmission for FiSTs built with that date range. No problems with either issue yet. I haven’t received any recall letters and I’m the first owner.

My SYNC has trouble understanding English.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Then their mind is made up already, cool, and so is mine, no need to pound it into anyone... the regular seats, (this isn't a '84 Oldsmobile with "cloth" seats) don't suck, I tried both and they are far easier to get in and out of... and unless you are tracking it or rallying, auto-crossing whatever then they are overkill, again, no one needs to be told what to do, they already know if they want them or not.... and the reason for WTB Recaro is they obviously have money now to do or got a great deal used, it's not because their mind suddenly changed, it's not rocket science.
I really think you are taking this a bit on the personel side. I have seen all the people recommending the Recaro’s. Notice how I bolded the word recommending. No one is forcing th Recaros on people or jamming them down peoples throats. All they ar doing is voicing there opinion and feelings as to why they think the Recaro’s are a wise choice.

Fact is I sat in the Recaro’s and like the bolsters. Fact is I sat in the Recaros and did not like the way they had me stting in a slightly leaned back position raising my legs up. I am not tall 5’7” to be exact not proportionally off for my size either leg to torso. Though taller people’s legs are long enough to overcome that issue.

So I thought I would get bases seats but damn if the bottom bolster had no side support, damn if I did not mover around in it like nobodies business in corners. Lol ya my legs shot more straight forward and less up but damn what a small ass seat with support. I am not big either, hahahahaha.

I was like damn the Recaros have more pros than cons. I can space up the rear of the mounts on them to eliminate a bit of that upward lean. Others on the forum have done it. The support though is fantastic.

I am not shoving this down anyones throat I am just sharing the pros and cons and conclusions from my experiences. Just like others. It does make the interior a little more classy and sports car oriented. I like that.

So ya I got them and got enough discounts that I am getting my car for close to the price of a base without them.

I just think people are expressing their belief that the Recaros add value to the car and make it more like it was intended to be. Outside of the U.S. you could not get the car without them.

So Relax understand we are just professing we feel its a worthwhile addition in the purchase not pounding it into people .lol

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
The Recaro seats make the car feel flatter in the corners. If I didn’t go on road trips, I’d have Recaros. That said, there’s no way in hell I’d own Recaros with the driving I do.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Since I have had 4 different Fiestas since 2009, I think I have enough background to be able to post here. 2 of the Fiestas, the ones I had between 2009 and 2014 had the same seats as the standard ST. The covering was different, but the padding was the same. I logged around 85,000 miles between the two cars and autocrossed, tracked, and used the cars for daily driving and road trips. For the 2 ST's, both had Recaro seats. In 2014, I had both the Recaro ST and regular Fiesta to compare. For me, on longer drives, my right leg isn't supported in the standard seat. This means I had to use constant pressure to keep my leg aligned with the throttle. After a few hours, I would get leg cramping and lower back pain. On more spirited drives, I slid around in the standard seats (now, both were leather) and had trouble staying in place. With the Recaro seats, my legs are more supported with the taller side bolstering. Where a 3 hour drive with the standard seat would leave me cramped and fatigued, I was able to drive 6 hours without feeling like I did with the standard seat. On the track and spirited drives, I was kept properly placed in the seat and did not move around. The bolstering kept me planted. The bolstering also allowed my muscles to relax and be held by the seat instead of holding constant pressure. For me, the Recaro seats are 100% worth the money since they make the driving more enjoyable and far less muscle fatigue on longer drives.

From a resale perspective, the Recaro seat option will bring more money since they are a more desirable option.

I'm hearing a lot of the same things. Advice well received. I appreciate all the feedback. Always helps to hear these things from real owners, real drivers.
Hey OP, did you come to a decision? This thread seems to have strayed from its original purpose a bit. Any other questions you have that we can answer?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The stock seats are fine. If we had an option for full Recaro seats rather that the "lites" we get I would think about them. The most important feature in a seat to prevent leg fatigue is proper under thigh bolsters. Both cars I have owned with Recaro's from the factory were full Recaro's and I loved them with fully adjustable bolsters. I was not paying $2K for "semi" Recaro's. I find even with all out driving the grippy material on the stock seats are fine. I do not slip and slide when playing in the twists and even with 12 hour driving stints the stock seats are fine. And they can be cleaned easily!
So in my case the $2k saved went to a MP-215.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I really think you are taking this a bit on the personel side. I have seen all the people recommending the Recaro’s. Notice how I bolded the word recommending. No one is forcing th Recaros on people or jamming them down peoples throats. All they ar doing is voicing there opinion and feelings as to why they think the Recaro’s are a wise choice.

Fact is I sat in the Recaro’s and like the bolsters. Fact is I sat in the Recaros and did not like the way they had me stting in a slightly leaned back position raising my legs up. I am not tall 5’7” to be exact not proportionally off for my size either leg to torso. Though taller people’s legs are long enough to overcome that issue.

So I thought I would get bases seats but damn if the bottom bolster had no side support, damn if I did not mover around in it like nobodies business in corners. Lol ya my legs shot more straight forward and less up but damn what a small ass seat with support. I am not big either, hahahahaha.

I was like damn the Recaros have more pros than cons. I can space up the rear of the mounts on them to eliminate a bit of that upward lean. Others on the forum have done it. The support though is fantastic.

I am not shoving this down anyones throat I am just sharing the pros and cons and conclusions from my experiences. Just like others. It does make the interior a little more classy and sports car oriented. I like that.

So ya I got them and got enough discounts that I am getting my car for close to the price of a base without them.

I just think people are expressing their belief that the Recaros add value to the car and make it more like it was intended to be. Outside of the U.S. you could not get the car without them.

So Relax understand we are just professing we feel its a worthwhile addition in the purchase not pounding it into people .lol
Thank you for your post, it had seem to build up over time how some people do tend to pound it, others just a friendly recommendation... thanks for the feedback, it was a rough day yesterday and I guess that was a bit of a vent... Personally I have found now that I have over 6k on the car that my base seats are "breaking in" and I actually sink down a bit in the middle more creating some actual bolster that works for me, totally agree they were too flat at first but have improved, just like the Recaro's snugness, they both need to break in a bit, FWIW...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The Recaro seats make the car feel flatter in the corners. If I didn’t go on road trips, I’d have Recaros. That said, there’s no way in hell I’d own Recaros with the driving I do.
Do you feel the base seats break in a bit making them feel at least a little more bolstered compared to brand new? I've been pleasantly surprised by that, I'm 210 lbs and now I sink in the middle more with the sides remaining for a bit of natural bolster...

OP
B
Thread Starter #53
Hey OP, did you come to a decision? This thread seems to have strayed from its original purpose a bit. Any other questions you have that we can answer?
I have decided to go with the Recaro package regardless of what I end up with. I have a been offered $19k OTD on a 2017 local car with orange Recaros. This is way more than I anticipated spending but all the advice has made me rethink. The orange Recaros are a bit wild for me but hoping when I see them they’ll grow on me. I’m hoping I’m heading down the right direction.

I have decided to go with the Recaro package regardless of what I end up with. I have a been offered $19k OTD on a 2017 local car with orange Recaros. This is way more than I anticipated spending but all the advice has made me rethink. The orange Recaros are a bit wild for me but hoping when I see them they’ll grow on me. I’m hoping I’m heading down the right direction.
Not a bad deal at all. Do keep us posted on what route you end up taking. I will say, don't spend more than you are comfortable with. The upside of a new car isn't worth risking financial instability.

I really love my Recaros, and given the option it is what I would always go for. But if you are a broader guy, or situation falls to not having the funds, then the stock seats will suffice. Any FiST is better than a Corolla, or Civic alternative.... And definitely better than none at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Since I have had 4 different Fiestas since 2009, I think I have enough background to be able to post here. 2 of the Fiestas, , both were leather) and had trouble staying in place. With the Recaro seats, my legs are more supported with the taller side bolstering. Where a 3 hour drive with the standard seat would leave me cramped and fatigued, I was able to drive 6the ones I had between 2009 and 2014 had the same seats as the standard ST. The covering was different, but the padding was the same. I logged around 85,000 miles between the two cars and autocrossed, tracked, and used the cars for daily driving and road trips. For the 2 ST's, both had Recaro seats. In 2014, I had both the Recaro ST and regular Fiesta to compare. For me, on longer drives, my right leg isn't supported in the standard seat. This means I had to use constant pressure to keep my leg aligned with the throttle. After a few hours, I would get leg cramping and lower back pain. On more spirited drives, I slid around in the standard seats (now hours without feeling like I did with the standard seat. On the track and spirited drives, I was kept properly placed in the seat and did not move around. The bolstering kept me planted. The bolstering also allowed my muscles to relax and be held by the seat instead of holding constant pressure. For me, the Recaro seats are 100% worth the money since they make the driving more enjoyable and far less muscle fatigue on longer drives.

From a resale perspective, the Recaro seat option will bring more money since they are a more desirable option.
I don't think the base ST seats are *exactly* the same as a base Fiesta seat, pretty close but I think the base ST seat is meant to break in and sink in better in the middle, but otherwise you're making great points... honestly, to me having Recaro's on a Fiesta, even an ST is pretty "racer-boy", but for you guys who do track a lot I totally get it... I'm just saying for $2k on an $18k car a lot of us just don't see the value, but if someone wants them and can make a deal on them, then hell yeah, they are pretty nice despite not being higher end Recaro's...

BUT another BIG factor for guys in cold weather areas they are heated and get heated mirrors too, whereas I'm in a pretty mild climate and garage every night, so another factor for OP to consider!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You are in Colorado... SKI AREA, Colorado, you will appreciate the heated seats and heated mirrors you get with them too! Congrats!

Resale value is another high point for getting the ST2 package. That is... If we ever sell [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I don't think the base ST seats are *exactly* the same as a base Fiesta seat, pretty close but I think the base ST seat is meant to break in and sink in better in the middle, but otherwise you're making great points... honestly, to me having Recaro's on a Fiesta, even an ST is pretty "racer-boy", but for you guys who do track a lot I totally get it... I'm just saying for $2k on an $18k car a lot of us just don't see the value, but if someone wants them and can make a deal on them, then hell yeah, they are pretty nice despite not being higher end Recaro's...

BUT another BIG factor for guys in cold weather areas they are heated and get heated mirrors too, whereas I'm in a pretty mild climate and garage every night, so another factor for OP to consider!
From being on the ST launch, the report was that the base seats are the same as the regular Fiesta seats except with unique covering. I never experienced any break-in on any of my seats.

Great point about heated seats. When it is -10'F outside, I love those heated seats!! Too bad the steering wheel and shift knob aren't heated.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Resale value is another high point for getting the ST2 package. That is... If we ever sell [emoji23]
Hey now, don't get me started on packages, we don't have FoST's or a Euro model with any packages, we have 3 total options and a 4th that is literally burning money (nav)! :)