Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CARB legal intake (or pass visual) for 2014

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
In all honesty why does anybody live in California? Crazy high housing prices, taxes, regulations, and the crazy wildfires.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #22
In all honesty why does anybody live in California? Crazy high housing prices, taxes, regulations, and the crazy wildfires.

Good waves. Good weather. Tons of stuff to do. And you can't help where you were born....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Good waves. Good weather. Tons of stuff to do. And you can't help where you were born....

True. My wife is from upstate New York and she just hated the cold and the snow and just the whole environment. She became a travel nurse and it allowed her to move around. We met and she never left, lives in North Carolina now.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran

Don't forget the Earthquakes.
Never a dull moment.

Dave

dmb

Lets not forget the riots for our winning teams, everyone gets free Nike gear. and the homeless guy who lives in front of your house in his 30yr old motorhome dumping his sewage in the gutter. and your city saying its not a crime to be homeless. I'm lucky my city keeps this stuff out for the most part. but its gets worse every year. but the 75 degree christmas and new years is hard to beat.

dmb

As per appendix G of the 2018 California Smog Check Reference Guide, Intercoolers do not require an EO# on gas engines.

Also from the same appendix G of the 2018 California Smog Check Reference Guide, Air Cleaner / Assembly – 1996 model-year and newer and all years equipped with Thermostatic Air Cleaner, An EO# is required.

So, sense the FiST does not have a Thermostatic Air Cleaner, no EO# is required.

As a retired Smog Test Inspector, I had to read all this stuff.

Dave
Thanks Dave I was worried about that,

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #27
The cops can cite you for an illegal modification. They don't cite you for a non smog legal part.

During my inspection they didn't bother with the intercooler.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I did a little more research.

Oil Separator / Filter also do not require an EO#.
So that makes Catch Cans and larger oil filters legal.

Dave

dmb

that's good to know, keep it up Dave. I knew something was up when I had to put that NOX devise on my VW years ago. little did I know that it would turn into this Monster that it is today of un-elected officials that wield so much power. 75% make over $95,000 a year and top pay is...$1,436,000 a year not counting retirement. sorry guys this kind of sheet drives me crazy. again thanks Dave

cxwrench

I did a little more research.

Oil Separator / Filter also do not require an EO#.
So that makes Catch Cans and larger oil filters legal.

Dave
I've got a silicone induction pipe...from the airbox to the crossover pipe...legal? I've looked through this thread and don't remember seeing anything.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I've got a silicone induction pipe...from the airbox to the crossover pipe...legal? I've looked through this thread and don't remember seeing anything.
Now you are in the territory of illegality.
The emission systems start at the Mass Air Flow Sensor and end at the Cat Efficiency Sensor.
Anything in between is controlled by smog laws.
So unless it is exempted by an EO# or it is an item of non concern (as I listed above) It is illegal.

Dave

cxwrench

Now you are in the territory of illegality.
The emission systems start at the Mass Air Flow Sensor and end at the Cat Efficiency Sensor.
Anything in between is controlled by smog laws.
So unless it is exempted by an EO# or it is an item of non concern (as I listed above) It is illegal.

Dave
Thanks Dave! I've the OEM pipe so I can just swap that back in. Haven't had to smog the car yet, next year maybe?

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #33
Thanks Dave! I've the OEM pipe so I can just swap that back in. Haven't had to smog the car yet, next year maybe?
Unless it throws a code I wouldn't worry about it. Getting your car smogged with aftermarket parts is easy.

It's the inspection due to a citation that you have to worry about it

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Unless it throws a code I wouldn't worry about it. Getting your car smogged with aftermarket parts is easy.

It's the inspection due to a citation that you have to worry about it
Yes, you can always take your chances and hope the Smog Tech does not see/care.
I would suggest however, that you select a test station that offers, "Pass or Retest Free".
This type of test station is more likely to overlook something to avoid the free retest.
If you do get caught you can fix the infraction and then have it tested again.

Dave

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Maybe this will help as well.

One could argue that the Silicone Intake Hose, Crossover Pipe, or Charge Pipes were replacements for durability.
See info below from the same reference guide.

Hose(s) - Minor configuration changes are acceptable. Universal replacement hose in place of preformed hose, etc. do not require an EO#

CARB Definitions of Aftermarket Parts

“Replacement Part” means any aftermarket part intended to replace an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) emissions-related part and which is functionally identical to the original equipment part in all respects which in any way affect emissions (including durability) or a consolidated part. These parts are typically advertised for street use on emission controlled vehicles.

California Code of Regulations (CCR) Title 13 § 1900 (b) (20)

Some examples: Replacement air filter elements, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor caps, chromed valve covers, replacement EGR valves, and replacement carburetors. (Note: A replacement EGR valve or carburetor must be specified as replacement, by the part manufacturer, for the vehicle on which it is installed).

Remember however, that it is all up to the interpretation of the Smog Inspector but I think we could win this one.
Understand as well that emission hoses like PCV must use proper replacement hoses and they are marked.

Dave