Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help me to choose winter Tire Setup!!

Wich Combo of Wheels and tire do you choose for you Fiesta ST?

• OEM wheel + Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • New 16" Wheel + 195/50R16 Toyo Garit KX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New 16" Wheel + 195/50R16 Toyo Observe GSi-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New 16" Wheel + 195/50R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 (No Stud)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • New 16" Wheel + 195/50R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I think Tire Rack suggests a 185/60 15 as an optional size. That would give you the same diameter as a P215/40 17, which is what I run on my ST. The skinniest tire with the most amount of sidewall is the best for winter. Look at the tires used on the WRC Rally Sweden cars, they look like studded bicycle tires!

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'm going to run 205/45 on my next summer because I like the way the 45s fill the wheel gap in.

And that makes sense on the winter tire set up.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #24
Hello Guys,

I'm looking for Combo wheels and tires for the winter, but my choice is not made.

Option #1:

I will keep my stock wheel for the winter and I bought a new set of wheel for the next summer probably (Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2)

On the stock wheel I will put Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 (205/40R17).

Option #2 a/b:

I will keep my stock wheels for the summer.

I will bought new wheels in 15" or 16" to reduce a little bit the cost of the tire.

With these set up there have more choice of tire:

- Hakkapeliita R2 (195/55R15)
- Hakkapeliita R2 (195/50R16)

Feel free to share your comment and your personal experience or setup.
Hello Guys,

I have update my choice it is between the Hakkapeliita R2 and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80.

But it's not possible to update the pool sorry.

I will post my final decision when I have take it.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #25
Hello Guys,

I have finally take my decision and I have choose the Hakkapeliita R2 (195/50R16)!!

I will post picture when I received the new wheel and the winter tire.

Thanks All for your comments.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #26
Hey Guys,

I have received my wheels and tire ! I post picture this afternoon!!

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #27
There is the picture of the Hakkapeliitta R2 in 195/50R16 mounted on my winter wheel:

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Looks good man. I put mine up against my car and they looked like they were going to rub but I guess it's just the angle of not having them on.

I'm getting mine on in a couple weeks, when the temp. drops a little more.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Nice Tires I love me some Hakk's you will be unstoppable in the snow and slush :)

Chai

Wow.. The Hakks look aggressive!! Like they will bite into the ice!!!

I got the WS80$ for my winter setup. Not so sticky above 40 degrees..traction control light comes on for hard launches. Sticky below 40 degrees.. Kind of overkill for Missouri weather.. But you never know...

There is the picture of the Hakkapeliitta R2 in 195/50R16 mounted on my winter wheel
Nice tires. I am looking at possibly replacing the new dealer-included BF Slalom KSi with some Nokians as well.

I haven't been able to find any r8's that fit 15" rim. Anyone know if there are any available for our car, perhaps on a 15" wheel?

I drove in our first poor conditions today with the Slalom Ksi's and was not incredibly confidant in them. The weather was 5" of snow with glare ice below. They got acceptable traction during straightline but were pretty slippery during lane changes from icy surface to snow (middle of two lanes) and back to ice. Although the conditions were really poor, they did not feel as good as my previous Xi2s.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #33
Nice tires. I am looking at possibly replacing the new dealer-included BF Slalom KSi with some Nokians as well.

I haven't been able to find any r8's that fit 15" rim. Anyone know if there are any available for our car, perhaps on a 15" wheel?

I drove in our first poor conditions today with the Slalom Ksi's and was not incredibly confidant in them. The weather was 5" of snow with glare ice below. They got acceptable traction during straightline but were pretty slippery during lane changes from icy surface to snow (middle of two lanes) and back to ice. Although the conditions were really poor, they did not feel as good as my previous Xi2s.
Yes the Hakkapeliitta 8 are available in the 15" in 195/55R15 -0.05% or in 185/60R15 +1.21%.

I'm really happy of my Hakkapeliitta R2. They work great in the snow and the ice and there have really good performance when is the time to change lane on the high way.

Yes the Hakkapeliitta 8 are available in the 15" in 195/55R15 -0.05% or in 185/60R15 +1.21%.
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. You know where they are available online in Canada or ships to Canada? The usual sites I use only had r2s. I was thinking of stopping by the local Kal-tire to price em out, but wanted to see how much I would paying in town. Where I live is very, very expensive. For an idea I paid $275 for moutn and balance on performance tires on forged wheels last summer.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #35
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. You know where they are available online in Canada or ships to Canada? The usual sites I use only had r2s. I was thinking of stopping by the local Kal-tire to price em out, but wanted to see how much I would paying in town. Where I live is very, very expensive. For an idea I paid $275 for moutn and balance on performance tires on forged wheels last summer.
The best price I found is in a garage in Quebec city.

I don't find a lot of web site for Canadian customer that they sale nokian tires.

The best price I found is in a garage in Quebec city.

I don't find a lot of web site for Canadian customer that they sale nokian tires.
Oh ok. I agree. I know most local Kal-Tire in Alberta sell them. Due to previous poor experience with my local Kaltire I am not a fan.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The skinniest tire with the most amount of sidewall is the best for winter. Look at the tires used on the WRC Rally Sweden cars, they look like studded bicycle tires!
Correct, but, they are constantly on either ice lakes, or packed snow/ice covered fire roads (unless it's too warm and the gravel shows through), and NEVER EVER have to drive those skinnies on dry asphalt like we must at times in NA.

I DO wish that the Altimax Arctics were made in a 195/50-16 though (to go on the 16x7 Sparco Terras).