Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Motul dctf or 300?

Erick_V

I went from OEM fluid to DCTF 2 weeks ago. I was very happy with the switch. You will for sure feel the difference, it engages the gears easier. Just don't make a huge mess when draining the OEM fluid like I did and it's a real easy job lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Motul DCTF, despite being a synthetic blend fluid, will still be quite stout shear-wise, and standing up to heat wise, due to Motul using some esters in the base stock, along with the group 3, and the premium additive pack in this formula. [thumb]

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm using Redline DCTF with no complaints. It's not Ford approved, neither is the Castrol Edge Titanium 0w-40 motor oil in the crankcase and neither is the DHM 360R turbo kit powering it and neither is the aux fuel that occasionally sprays fuel. Ford not approved [rofl]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yes, if you do not care about any even slight chance of warranty denials (which yes TRUE, Ford would absolutely have a VERY HARD TIME proving was the actual cause of a transaxle failure), the Red Line DCT fluid is most likely THE most stout on the market due to them using A LOT of group 5 POEs in their base stock. [:)]

cxwrench

Sooooooo...how do you get the new oil in? I'm guessing some kind of pump?

ETA: Or pull the airbox and use a funnel/hose from the top...?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sooooooo...how do you get the new oil in? I'm guessing some kind of pump?

ETA: Or pull the airbox and use a funnel/hose from the top...?
Since I must jack it up and put jack stands under it anyway in order to drain the transaxle, I just use one of those Amsoil, StaLube/CRC, or Performance Tool bottle pumps to fill it.
(I usually pour the fluid into an empty StaLube quart bottle I kept which fits their pump perfectly.)
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjayqDHqbvaAhXvs1kKHeqkDlIQ8wII7AI

For me at least, removing the air box to use a gravity fill method would take twice as long.

CGLENN27, I have not completed my other work on the car, so it is not road ready yet. Once I get it onto the road, which could be as early as next week, I will report back. By the way, I noticed a gold / brass look in the trans fluid. Does anyone know the makeup of the internal trans metals? It is so easy to change the fluid, that I think people should not be afraid to tackle this task.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
By the way, I noticed a gold / brass look in the trans fluid. Does anyone know the makeup of the internal trans metals? It is so easy to change the fluid, that I think people should not be afraid to tackle this task.
I believe that our blockers and synchros are brass, but not sure (anyone who's had their transaxle open for a diff/r&p installation, [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION]??).

In any case, that could be just normal break-in wear 'fines' from these components, and nothing to worry about (especially since you changed the fluid out!), unless you've excessively ground the gears with missed shifts, flat footed shifts, or attempted many clutch-less shifts.

I could not agree with the bolded above more! (I changed mine out @~2K miles to get that same break-in material out of the fluid.)

Contrary to popular belief, the factory DCT fluid is NOT a "fill for life", regardless of what any dealer service department manager might tell you otherwise.

I believe that our blockers and synchros are brass, but not sure (anyone who's had their transaxle open for a diff/r&p installation, [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION]??).

In any case, that could be just normal break-in wear 'fines' from these components, and nothing to worry about (especially since you changed the fluid out!), unless you've excessively ground the gears with missed shifts, flat footed shifts, or attempted many clutch-less shifts.

I could not agree with the bolded above more! (I changed mine out @~2K miles to get that same break-in material out of the fluid.)

Contrary to popular belief, the factory DCT fluid is NOT a "fill for life", regardless of what any dealer service department manager might tell you otherwise.

I have mainly driven this car to work and back, which is almost all highway miles. I can only think of a handful of times I really pressed the car and that was mainly on curvy roads and not quick shifting. I agree with you M-Sport fan that this potentially observed metal is from the factory build / break in and nothing really to worry about. I also agree that nothing is for life and it would do most people well to change there fluids early and often in the first few thousand miles. I have always changed my oil multiple times within the first 10k (I will not accept a new car without the oil changed before I leave the dealership). I subsequently change it ~ 1k, 2-3k, 5k, and then every 5k afterwards. Is it more often than needed, yes. I also changed my brake fluid and flushed and filled my radiator within the first 10k miles. I did not observe anything unusual with the brake fluid, however the antifreeze was filled with trash (pieces of plastic and metal). I only hesitated on the transmission fluid because I did not think it was serviceable based on the "fluid good for life" statement.

I will report back to my thoughts on the Motul DCTF after I complete all of my work and can drive the car again. I am expecting that in the next couple of weeks. I have not been in much of a hurry as the weather in Indiana is crazy, snowing one day, 70 the next, rain the next, you get the picture...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^HA!
I'm with you on the weather thing as one day last week it was 85*F during the day and I literally watched as the digital thermometer dropped before my very eyes about 45* in a couple of hours!! [crazyeye]

I was tempted to put on my summer wheel/tire setup during that day, and do the thicker 5W-30 Ravenol REP summer oil change, but so glad that I did NOT!!
Hell, I've seen snow in MID MAY here in the past, albeit very rare. ;)

I finally got the car finished yesterday. I am very happy to say the Motul DCTF coupled with the Boomba shift updates make a huge difference in how well this car shifts. Firm short shifts that move between gears very easily. This is how the factory should have provided the car. I only drove the car about 10 miles yesterday as it was late in the day when I got it on the road. I will report back after driving for a few weeks. By the way I noticed this at Walmart in the boat and rv section. I think it would work great for adding the fluid to the gear box (this is similar to what I bought from Amazon)...

Attachments

cxwrench

Ordered 2 liters of Motul 300 today, will probably do the change next Friday. I'll report back how it feels 'cuz we need more posts about such a hot topic. [wrenchin][8D]

jeff

2000 Post Club
Ordered 2 liters of Motul 300 today, will probably do the change next Friday. I'll report back how it feels 'cuz we need more posts about such a hot topic. [wrenchin][8D]
Check the Motul 300 thread. Search for "motul" and you'll find many many posts on such a hot topic.

I just put 300 in my car last weekend. It's wonderful. I posted some detailed thoughts on said thread. You don't need a pump; just drain, stick the nozzle in the fill hole, and fill.

cxwrench

Check the Motul 300 thread. Search for "motul" and you'll find many many posts on such a hot topic.

I just put 300 in my car last weekend. It's wonderful. I posted some detailed thoughts on said thread. You don't need a pump; just drain, stick the nozzle in the fill hole, and fill.
The bottle has the extending spout, right? And we're thinking that the full 2 liters is good as long as you let it drain for a long time?

jeff

2000 Post Club
The bottle has the extending spout, right? And we're thinking that the full 2 liters is good as long as you let it drain for a long time?
Here's the thread:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ear-Lube-is-a-low-cost-easy-mod-and-worth-it-)

Here's the post:

What's up folks...just swapped out my OEM fluid at 28,003 for the Motul 300...a few thoughts in no particular order:

- stock fluid was in good shape but I was surprised that stuff was lubricating anything, viscosity is like water almost...
- this job took about 45 minutes start to finish...put it on ramps, remove airbox/induction hose, drain, fill, torque to 30 ft/lbs, replace airbox/induction hose, go for a test drive...
- I used an empty washer fluid bottle to catch/measure the fluid, made 1L and 2L marks using water first, very little mess...
- forget the pump or hose, just drain it out the lower drain hole, then extend the spout on the Motul 300 to full length, then come up from underneath, stick the spout in the upper fill hole, while it's in there you can get the bottle around the charge pipe into a pouring position and in it goes, easy peasy, didn't spill a drop...
- 1.7 liters came out, see below...I spilled a tiny bit when draining but that's most of it, full drain...
- I put 2.0 liters in because of what the very helpful @MissSTrouble said on my build page which I've quoted below...- I only drove a few miles on my test drive but so far wow what a nice difference...
- chatter between 1-2 shift is gone...
- shifts are smooth like honey butter on a yeast roll...
- in addition to smoother shifting the clutch seems smoother....of course this is placebo but here's the thing - I suddenly found that I didn't have to rev the car up and/or accommodate the clutch when shifting from 1st to 2nd in order to make it smooth. Now I didn't even realize that I had been doing that until I didn't have to, then I was like "Hey wow that's really nice!". Such is true of life, sometimes we only notice things in the absence of them, whether good or bad.

Thanks again to all who helped lead me in this mod.