Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Probing the engine with an endoscope, also meth questons.

First off, the end goal here for my car is to have a hybrid <cough> [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] <cough> turbo, and say a 35 hp dry shot around the throttlebody with multi-port meth injection further down. :) A certain vendor has two different spacers that I think would be perfect for this.

This weekend or next I'm swapping out the spark plugs on my car, and my girlfriend's. I have 42k miles on my '15 ST and tuned, so I figure I'll get a small endoscope-type camera in there and check out the pistons. Maybe I can attach a small mirror and check the cylinder side of the intake and exhaust valves too. The angle might be too difficult, won't know until I try. I think I'll also take the intake side of the engine apart and stick a camera up there, to check the back of the intake valves for deposits

I have been shopping for a water/methanol system for a while and I've narrowed it down to AEM and Snow. Depending on what I find I might buy the meth kit before the turbo and try to clean things up a bit...might invest in a catch can too. I don't believe in doing or buying anything until I see good experimental data or evidence. Nature of my job I guess.

-- First question, maybe Sourskittle would know. If I pull off the big, black plastic intake side of the engine past the throttle body, I assume I could get an endoscope in there to inspect the back side of the intake valves? I don't think there is anything in the way past that point.

-- Second question, for those who have done water/meth on the fiesta before, are you feeding the controller the boost pressure, MAF signal, or the MAP signal? Gotta figure out if I need to splice a wire, and what's the proper way to do things there.

If anyone is interested I'll take detailed notes and pictures. I can make a new post with my findings. I think it will be cool to see what everything looks like on the inside at 42k miles. I might go so far as to document everything as it is now, buy a water/meth kit, spray a few gallons through, then take everything apart again and see what happened. Let me know what you guys think!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The intake ports are split port design, so they are pretty small. But if your camera is small and flexable enough, there is no other obstructions :)

I feed my AEM controller boost reference pressure from the throttle body spacer port and run it into the car and to the control that has a built in map sensor ( I did not want to mess with the scaling of the making the stock map sensor feed it ).

When I replaced my head at 38k miles, my ports were spotless. But... I have 5 meth injectors hitting them, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
X
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! Appreciate the response!

Boost is easier to do than splicing wires, so I was leaning that way anyway. I am really interested to see what everything looks like in the intake, now I just have to find time to do it...

looking at these pics i am even more worried about upping my meth,(single point Injection) as i cant imagine that each cylinder gets an equal amount.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
looking at these pics i am even more worried about upping my meth,(single point Injection) as i cant imagine that each cylinder gets an equal amount.
It doesn't. But no more/less than guys making 375whp on throttle body type aux fuels. Adding another meth nozzle further away from your current one will help.

Ole yea... And use 100% meth, not weak 50/50 mix

my meth jet is at the intercooler exit. i have just upgraded my system to ss braided lines and fuel cell with shut off valve to go 100% meth

OP
X
Thread Starter #8
Pulled the plugs on an old lancer and my fiesta today, went a step colder. After sticking a camera down there I found *extremely minor* carbon buildup, you really have to look for it. Measured the gaps in the old plugs, the far right "drivers" side cylinder was about 2 thousands of an inch different than the other three. Couldn't figure out if the far right drivers side was cylinder 1 or 4, google didn't help this time. Old plugs looked like they were getting pretty hot, but not quite overheating.

Didn't have time to pull off the intake this week, but thanks for posting that Sourskittle! That intake seems kinda scary to me. This makes me want to go with both of boomba's spacers and do an EIGHT port meth setup with tiny jets. First set of four for normal future turbo things and then the second set to provide the fuel for a N20 setup. I'm wondering if sticking the N20 fogger right past the throttle body would allow it to get to each cylinder evenly. Hmm...

OP
X
Thread Starter #9
It doesn't. But no more/less than guys making 375whp on throttle body type aux fuels. Adding another meth nozzle further away from your current one will help.

Ole yea... And use 100% meth, not weak 50/50 mix
Also read a post a few years ago about using pure methanol with nitrous. It is with a honda V6 that has detonation issues. It is long, best to read when you have some time.

http://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/inaccurates-nitrous-methanol-injection-system-nmi-803036/

50/50 makes a lot of sense to me, but 100% meth seems a bit "scary" or something. Flammibility goes from nothing at 50/50 to something I could actually burn my car to the ground with at 100%. I know it is less flammable than gasoline, but still. My instinct is to flood it with 50/50 to keep the EGT, AFR, and timing in check. Maybe these are all problems in my mind. Is there that much of a difference?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Pulled the plugs on an old lancer and my fiesta today, went a step colder. After sticking a camera down there I found *extremely minor* carbon buildup, you really have to look for it. Measured the gaps in the old plugs, the far right "drivers" side cylinder was about 2 thousands of an inch different than the other three. Couldn't figure out if the far right drivers side was cylinder 1 or 4, google didn't help this time. Old plugs looked like they were getting pretty hot, but not quite overheating.

Didn't have time to pull off the intake this week, but thanks for posting that Sourskittle! That intake seems kinda scary to me. This makes me want to go with both of boomba's spacers and do an EIGHT port meth setup with tiny jets. First set of four for normal future turbo things and then the second set to provide the fuel for a N20 setup. I'm wondering if sticking the N20 fogger right past the throttle body would allow it to get to each cylinder evenly. Hmm...

You mean like mine ? I actually ran 4 in the ports and a fogger in the cold pipe :)
But it was too much for 290whp lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Also read a post a few years ago about using pure methanol with nitrous. It is with a honda V6 that has detonation issues. It is long, best to read when you have some time.

http://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/inaccurates-nitrous-methanol-injection-system-nmi-803036/

50/50 makes a lot of sense to me, but 100% meth seems a bit "scary" or something. Flammibility goes from nothing at 50/50 to something I could actually burn my car to the ground with at 100%. I know it is less flammable than gasoline, but still. My instinct is to flood it with 50/50 to keep the EGT, AFR, and timing in check. Maybe these are all problems in my mind. Is there that much of a difference?
I'll read the article in a bit :)
But... Oil is flammable. Gas is INSANELY FLAMMABLE ( way way more than we give it credit for before we've become complacent with it ). Methanol is sometimes hard to light on a metal table. We can pour some on a stainless table and it does like to catch fire very easy. Gasoline or even E85 will just about explode on you in the same situation.

Another thing with 50/50 vs 100% is that people often say the heat energy of water is double what meth is. That's true. But... At 50/50, it's only 50% better. That being said, what they don't tell you is that if you max out your system with 50/50, you can DOUBLE that same system volume with 100% meth. So... Say your car will choke with more than a 250cc injector using 50/50 that absorbs 50% more heat energy. Now... You can run the same system with a 500cc injector with 100% meth. Meaning your actually 50% AHEAD of the 50/50 setup. Your injecting double the volume of liquid. Your also doubling the amount of 93oct you are replacing with BAD ASS methanol, which is a zillion octane vs 93oct.

It can cool better than water. It can add octane better than water. It does not HURT POWER.

Yes.... Water HURTS POWER. Sure... It lets your advance the timing more and make more total power, but the truth is, WATER HURTS POWER. So it's 1 step back, 2 steps forward. Meth is zero steps back, 2 steps forward.

My meth is under the hood, the same place gasoline and oil is.

The chance of meth igniting inside the car from the truck is EXTREMELY unlikely. It can happen. Murphy's law dictates that it will happen. But it's got to be like 3 times worse than chances of winning the lotto. Gas is prob a worse danger still vs meth.