Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SYNC 3 Update (November 2017)

Bluedrank

I think [MENTION=4012]Bluedrank[/MENTION] and I have both been patrolling the F150 forums. A few of those guys believe because of the size of this update and how massive the 2.2 update was there's just not enough memory on a non-nav car to handle this update.

Some have gotten lucky but you, me and a bunch of others have had trouble. Supposedly ford is working on another update. But knowing them who knows how long that will take.
Bingo. I think that's exactly what's happening. I wonder how many 2016 people managed to get the 2.3 update on the car actually. My personal theory is that the 2017 cars might have slightly more memory capacity and are thus able to complete the update. I could be wrong and it's for another reason, but it's possible since the 2016 and 2017 cars have different hardware versions (G and H). I'd imagine what's happening is that the system stores both versions of the firmware in memory and then does a live swap. If the update fails, it just rolls back the previous update, no harm no foul. The problems arise when there's not enough memory available to do this, in which case the upgrade fails.

Just to chime in again. I have used a 32Gig usb3 drive on a early and late '16. Both went the same... plug, wait, restart and enjoy. It took about 40 minutes a car.

Edit: Both are non nav and I used the according file from Fords own site.

After my car spent a day and a half at the dealership and 3 phone calls later to Ford they have finally figured out mine won’t update and are going to “change parts” under warranty. This is too painful I’ve never had this much grief from several Honda’s new and used.

Followed directions again..used a 32g usb3 drive again, it does.not work....theres something else here going on here.too many people cannot be a coincidence with the same issue.crappy ford update technology....

Followed directions again..used a 32g usb3 drive again, it does.not work....theres something else here going on here.too many people cannot be a coincidence with the same issue.crappy ford update technology....
Call Ford like I did and then call again if you have to, it took me 3 times with them, the last time was nearly an hour

Call them...need to bring vehicle in....unbelievable.....
Yep it’s painful I’m going in tomorrow so they can pull up my case file and hopefully come up with a plan but I’m dreading dealing with dealership again and probably another 2 days without my car

I'm not too sure what the fuss is about. I know we all live different lives and have different needs. For me, the updated changed nothing. I got tired of Android Auto in a few days. I don't want to always be plugging my phone in and removing it. It's has a bit more lag which I don't like, noticeable most when changing volume. I just use Bluetooth like before the update. If it didn't work, from my current point of view, it wouldn't have mattered. We bought ST's to drive and not for the cabin technology. We knew Ford makes tons of changes and SYNC is plagued.

Its simple: Like you said. Everyone lives different lifes....and when you pay $20,000 plus for a vehicle, if you enjoy the ammenities it brings and you paid for, you want them to work....You may have puchased the vehicle for drivin and sync may not be that important, in my case, I drive 350 miles a week, and those perks are nice to have them working..the minute you dont update technology, it becomes an issue. I do also enjoy driving my car fast as hell....so bear with the rest of people that like you said it yourself...live different lifes and have different needs.....and yes...as cool as sync3 is, it is plagued..but the only way to make it better is to give feedback and help Ford figure it out....lol.....Sincere regards.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I updated to 3.0 successfully but now every time I start the car I get a message "Sync can update over WiFi. See what networks are available." I just hit Close and it goes away but it's pretty annoying, especially considering I don't notice any difference between 3.0 and the 2.2 I upgraded from. Anybody else have this issue?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In a weird twist of events...I saw that online at the owner.ford website when i tried to see if there was an update for sync, i saw something i had.never seen..it there was a button requesting to ask to send for an update specific for me. I choosed the option...later i received a link that the download was ready....i clicked and took me to t he download page..i followed instructions..i did a master reset in my car and loaded the file.....surprise..it worked...but when inlooked at the build: Is for 2.2 sync.....so..when i tries to redownload the new file "JLT" for 2.3 sync is back to mem003 error...so guess gonna still have to take it in..

I updated to 3.0 successfully but now every time I start the car I get a message "Sync can update over WiFi. See what networks are available." I just hit Close and it goes away but it's pretty annoying, especially considering I don't notice any difference between 3.0 and the 2.2 I upgraded from. Anybody else have this issue?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I had this issue when I went with v3.0. Turn off wifi and auto system updates that will make that message go away

Hi guys
¿Somebody with a 2016 model has been able to upgrade the sync system to 2.3 or 3.0 version? The Ford Fiesta model 2016 wihtout navigation support the 2.3 or 3.0 versions? My car is a non-nav; when i try upgrade using a usb stick i get the error "mem_err03", ¿Could you explain me what is the technical argument of this error?. I will like upgrade the sync to version 3.0 to use the Waze app using my iPhone.
Regards

Hi guys
¿Somebody with a 2016 model has been able to upgrade the sync system to 2.3 or 3.0 version? The Ford Fiesta model 2016 wihtout navigation support the 2.3 or 3.0 versions? My car is a non-nav; when i try upgrade using a usb stick i get the error "mem_err03", ¿Could you explain me what is the technical argument of this error?. I will like upgrade the sync to version 3.0 to use the Waze app using my iPhone.
Regards
The thinking is that the non has less ram, and the update fails because of one large file in the update. The workaround is to edit one of the files so that the large file (voice commands) is excluded from the update.

Some people have reported success when updating via WiFi. Have u updated with an unofficial file before? One theory is that the unofficial file didn't perform a proper removal of the old files.

DEss

Bluedrank

The thinking is that the non has less ram, and the update fails because of one large file in the update. The workaround is to edit one of the files so that the large file (voice commands) is excluded from the update.

Some people have reported success when updating via WiFi. Have u updated with an unofficial file before? One theory is that the unofficial file didn't perform a proper removal of the old files.

DEss
I also suspect this is exactly it. The system is running out of available memory and thus failing. This only happens on the 16 non-nav cars. Our hardware is a different part number than the 17+ cars, and I'd be willing to bet that the big difference is slightly more ram.

If a person really wanted to get 2.3 they can edit the file, instructions and information are available in the various threads at the f150 and mustang forums. I'm personally just waiting until a solid, issue free 3.0 or above is released.

Last edited:

brbauer2

There is a sperate file for Nav and Non-nav. Non-nav is a two part update, most likely to get around that memory issue.

Remember you will need the new USB hub if you want to use CarPlay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

There is a sperate file for Nav and Non-nav. Non-nav is a two part update, most likely to get around that memory issue.

Remember you will need the new USB hub if you want to use CarPlay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
The official 2.3 non I downloaded from Ford was a single file ~2 gigs in size and it was not a 2-part update. Did they release the 2-part one very recently? If so, I'm no longer able to d/l it as I their records indicate I've already updated.

brbauer2

The official 2.3 non I downloaded from Ford was a single file ~2 gigs in size and it was not a 2-part update. Did they release the 2-part one very recently? If so, I'm no longer able to d/l it as I their records indicate I've already updated.
Hmm...I remember the leaked 2.x updates were 2-part updates. Looking were I got the leaked 3.0 update it seems like both nav and non-nav are 1-part.

This is where I found the links - HERE

Did some quick browsing of some of the newer posts and it seems like using a larger USB drive might help with the install. Theory is the car is using the USB as disk space to extract and swap files while updating.