Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

First Time at VIR (with brand new Falken rt615k+)

Hey guys, I wanted to share my experience over this past holiday weekend at Virginia International Raceway (VIR). It was my first trip to VIR and I must say, the track lived up to my high expectations! I ran a 3 day HPDE with FSR PCA (their great - I'd check them out if you're in the south east and want some track time) and was treated to two and a half beautiful days of track weather with ambient temps around 85 degrees. The second half of Saturday, however, was a torrential downpour. I was running in the "Blue" group (intermediate instructed) and was promoted to intermediate solo by the third day.

I did do some data logging on the third and hottest day and got peak coolant temps of 209 and 211 and peak oil temps of 236 and 245 (I'm running 5w30 Amsoil signature series). VIR has two loooong straights and is very much a "power" track, so given the amount of full throttle as well as pretty high ambient temps and humidity, I was happy to see the Mishi radiator and oil cooler did their job! I'll be getting an oil change soon and will get an oil analysis done to confirm that the oil wasn't overly broken down.

I also ran on brand new Falken Azenis rt615k+ tires (215/40 r17) on my 17x8 Rota Grid wheels. I REALLY liked these tires. They are quite sticky, but held up to the abuse I put them through all weekend like it was nothing. I ran them at 36-38 PSI hot and they didn't grease up on me. I got the front driver up to +40 PSI and that’s when I noticed a bit of greasiness, but nothing unmanageable. I previously had Dunlop Direzza ZII's and I must say, I actually prefer the rt615k+'s. The main reason why is because I think the tire itself fits my wheels better than the ZII's. I found the ZII's sidewall rolling over on my driver front when pushed, but with the 615k+'s, the wear was right at the little triangle. I think I'll be going back to the 615k+ once I trash this pair.

Overall, if you're looking to try a REALLY fun track, I'd definitely recommend going to VIR. The compound it’s on is top notch (the surrounding area is pretty backwoods however) and the track itself was kept up perfectly. I drove the six and a half hours down and back from Philly and plan on doing it again sometime soon. Totally worth it.

Now, some pics from the track:

A7xogg

Im jealousyou got to go there. I havent had the change to go/race their yet.What times were you puting down? WHat was ur favorite part of the track?

OP
sidewaysallday
Thread Starter #3
Im jealousyou got to go there. I havent had the change to go/race their yet.What times were you puting down? WHat was ur favorite part of the track?
You gotta get there! It really is awesome!

I actually don't time myself at these events. I have timed myself in the past, but I've found that when I focus on getting a fast lap time I tend to over drive the car an make mistakes. I'm much faster if I don't focus on the time and rather, put that energy into being smooth and consistent. My favorite part was definitely the S's. I was managed to get consistent enought to take them at around 100mph by the third day which was a really crazy feeling. I did get a ride in a track-prepped 996 GT3 with an instructor at the wheel. Lets just say we went a little faster than what my FiST could manage[biggrin]

haste

1000 Post Club
No video of your lap? laps?

It's 2018, dude. You can't make a post and not have a video...

OP
sidewaysallday
Thread Starter #7
No video of your lap? laps?

It's 2018, dude. You can't make a post and not have a video...
Ha yeah I'm old skool. No video, no data, no nuthin. I did some video/data mapping in the past, but found that I would over drive the car to get the "fast" lap. With my mind off that stuff, I tend to be much smoother and seat of the pants quicker so [dunno]

Hurt any feelings passing up bigger cars? I know I did at Heartland [giggle]
I did pass quite a few cars that in theory were faster. Most notably a C7 Z06 and Grand Sport ( [neener] ), but also some caged Miatas, spec boxters and a few Caymans. I'm sure the Z06 was none too pleased.

weird... my phone didn't ring when you went down there. [raceflag] super jelly man. looks awesome.
Damn bro, totally spaced! I'm running NJMP in early September with PCA Delaware. Check it out and let me know! https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/delaware-pca-njmp-thunder-again-2018-new-jersey-motorsports-park-527324

haste

1000 Post Club
Nice! I hope to do an HPDE event at VIR one day..
It's great with the FiST. People were asking me what I had under the hood and I was only Cobb stage 3 at the time. It's a beast in the corners. Brakes and top speed are lacking though.

I have the x37 now but haven't had the chance to go back. I'm hoping to go back in the next year or two.

I avg'd only 9.9mpg, lol.