Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How Necessary is a Rear Motor Mount?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I guess you missed the part where a larger diameter bushing helps absorb NVH while also being much stiffer than stock does REALLY help... I have almost zero wheel hop with my large diameter Torque Solutions 75a so not sure how you can make the comparison unless you've tried them... Also, there is only so much a RMM can do before other factors come into play, sometimes you can go too stiff for no returns on performance, only more added vibes.
that's not entirely true either
The revo mount has a stiff and large diameter bushing. Between shifts it's great but you can still make the engine rock when decelerating in a gear then go to WOT or near WOT. With the AWR 88a, this is not present. I'm certain with the milder end of the mounts (I've had most of them) including the Torque Solution, this engine movement is present. Again, the further up the scale you go, there are benefits you just have to decide how much interior "discomfort" you can manage or care about. We know you love your TS mount Dan, nobody is hating on it or has a poor word to say, I actually added it to my site because of your continual rave reviews [biggrin]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
that's not entirely true either
The revo mount has a stiff and large diameter bushing. Between shifts it's great but you can still make the engine rock when decelerating in a gear then go to WOT or near WOT. With the AWR 88a, this is not present. I'm certain with the milder end of the mounts (I've had most of them) including the Torque Solution, this engine movement is present. Again, the further up the scale you go, there are benefits you just have to decide how much interior "discomfort" you can manage or care about. We know you love your TS mount Dan, nobody is hating on it or has a poor word to say, I actually added it to my site because of your continual rave reviews [biggrin]
Thank you Ron for always stepping with some good feedback, I really appreciate it! :)

As far as the comment I replied to, I still say any of these aftermarket ones DO help tremendously, you don't have to go super stiff to get legitimate serious improvements and I even have a later model FiST that came with the stiffer than early years stock mount.

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #43
Thank you Ron for always stepping with some good feedback, I really appreciate it! :)

As far as the comment I replied to, I still say any of these aftermarket ones DO help tremendously, you don't have to go super stiff to get legitimate serious improvements and I even have a later model FiST that came with the stiffer than early years stock mount.
Thank you for your valuable input. I picked up a mountune piece. About how long does it take to break in? Hopefully it won’t be too bad of NVH I’m about to use the car for UBER [:D].

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thank you for your valuable input. I picked up a mountune piece. About how long does it take to break in? Hopefully it won’t be too bad of NVH I’m about to use the car for UBER [:D].
My Torque Solutions didn't have to break in at all and never changed, so can't tell you about how long on another, it has very minimal vibes... but as an aside, I know in my area it is FAR easier to just do Uber Eats instead of having to deal with passengers, I just do it part time about 12 hours per week and make as much per hour as passenger service, but your area may vary... I did passenger Lyft last year with a bigger hatchback, no way I would want people trashing the inside of my FiST...

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #47
That is EXACTLY what I did, got the Torque Solution's when it was a 15% off day on eBay.. absolutely love mine, far less added vibrations than I thought with tons more traction and shift feel.
Oh dang that’s a steal! I wish I waited and went that route instead of my Mountune that I’ve yet to install.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Oh dang that’s a steal! I wish I waited and went that route instead of my Mountune that I’ve yet to install.
Well, at least you have one and they aren't hard to install... I just have ramps and a creeper but for guys who are hefty or are lowered then ramps may not be enough clearance.. anyway, I just got a $16 torque wrench from harbor freight to make sure I got the two main bolts at 50 ft/lbs and it took me about an hour just taking my time, best mod ever!

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #49
Well, at least you have one and they aren't hard to install... I just have ramps and a creeper but for guys who are hefty or are lowered then ramps may not be enough clearance.. anyway, I just got a $16 torque wrench from harbor freight to make sure I got the two main bolts at 50 ft/lbs and it took me about an hour just taking my time, best mod ever!
Dang you’re motivating me to get this done lol. I’m still messing around with tuning and stratified logging. I’m on my second revision. Their tunes are amazing!
I promised myself not to get carried away and mod and concentrate on one thing at a time. I’ve always modded heavily and I’m tired of it. I’m prb a bit older then your typical FiSt owner (37) and I’m starting to slow down on the mod bug.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Dang you’re motivating me to get this done lol. I’m still messing around with tuning and stratified logging. I’m on my second revision. Their tunes are amazing!
I promised myself not to get carried away and mod and concentrate on one thing at a time. I’ve always modded heavily and I’m tired of it. I’m prb a bit older then your typical FiSt owner (37) and I’m starting to slow down on the mod bug.
Well I'm 46 so get to it kid! :)

I lovemy stratified tune as well but couldn't stand the stock mount with it. I'm not even bothering to data log for now, I'm into my tune fur $100 already, $75 for initial and $25 for 4.0 update after getting my AP used... Gotta do the mount and a short shift and you'll be all set!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #51
Well I'm 46 so get to it kid! :)

I lovemy stratified tune as well but couldn't stand the stock mount with it. I'm not even bothering to data log for now, I'm into my tune fur $100 already, $75 for initial and $25 for 4.0 update after getting my AP used... Gotta do the mount and a short shift and you'll be all set!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Ah ha I’m glad I’m not alone in this bracket of owning such a car considered not aimed at my age group, but I caught so much flack for picking one up and the it’s a kids car stereotypical comments lol. Owned many vehicles as I’m sure you have and this FiSt is by far one of the most fun I’ve ever had.

I can’t wait to get the mount on and see how much better the feel gets especially in between shift slop. From what I read it really gets rid of it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ah ha I’m glad I’m not alone in this bracket of owning such a car considered not aimed at my age group, but I caught so much flack for picking one up and the it’s a kids car stereotypical comments lol. Owned many vehicles as I’m sure you have and this FiSt is by far one of the most fun I’ve ever had.

I can’t wait to get the mount on and see how much better the feel gets especially in between shift slop. From what I read it really gets rid of it.
You will be amazed....I know I was...just remember the mount will break in over the course of time....dont discard it right away due to vibrations!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Lol, the stereotypes are funny. I get the same flack at 48. Everyone thinks I'm having a midlife crisis. Nope...now, a Lotus, that would perhaps qualify as a midlife crisis car.

I bought the AWR 70 RMM from Ron, and cannot recommend it enough. I also chopped the rear muffler, and this car sings, gurgles, and crackles it's way through my 144 mile rt daily commute on the factory tune. AP and Stratified stage 1 tune planned, but I'm thrilled with the car. I often leave the radio off for the whole trip, just to hear the soundtrack.

Re. demographics, honestly I see more 30-40 somethings in these than I do teens and twenties, but that's just anecdotal--frankly these are not very common in KC area where mine lives and breathes. Around here, it's more trucks and SUVs...maybe that's most places now.

But, yeah, get the RMM, you don't know how much you need it, but ya need it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Lol, the stereotypes are funny. I get the same flack at 48. Everyone thinks I'm having a midlife crisis. Nope...now, a Lotus, that would perhaps qualify as a midlife crisis car.
Stereotypes are funny. I'm 62, but no one seems to think I'm having a midlife crisis. They just know I like cars. I think this is a great one, and have never limited myself by age expectations. I just get what I like, not what's "appropriate." My 60-year old friend just bought one at my recommendation, and he loves it.
Back to the topic, I have not felt it necessary to get a new RMM. My'16 has what's reported to be a stiffer one, and the car's stock except for the wheels. I drive it hard sometimes but don't launch it. I may do the MP215 tune, and if so, I'll reevaluate then.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You will be amazed....I know I was...just remember the mount will break in over the course of time....dont discard it right away due to vibrations!
Weird, everyone kept saying this, and I even planned to have my tune changed to raise my idle... but with my Torque Solution it had very minimal vibes from day one and never changed over time... I guess some even with the same Cobb style design including Mountune, Torque Solutions, Vudu, etc must use different brands of of actual bushings where some need break in time and some don't apparently!

danbfree

3000 Post Club

I bought the AWR 70 RMM from Ron, and cannot recommend it enough. I also chopped the rear muffler, and this car sings, gurgles, and crackles it's way through my 144 mile rt daily commute on the factory tune. AP and Stratified stage 1 tune planned, but I'm thrilled with the car. I often leave the radio off for the whole trip, just to hear the soundtrack.

Re. demographics, honestly I see more 30-40 somethings in these than I do teens and twenties, but that's just anecdotal--frankly these are not very common in KC area where mine lives and breathes. Around here, it's more trucks and SUVs...maybe that's most places now.

But, yeah, get the RMM, you don't know how much you need it, but ya need it.
Yep, almost the same age as you and even my S.O. gives me shit about having a mid-life crisis, LOL... I'm like "Hey, being a car enthusiast doesn't have an age limit, and this car is economical and practical for my needs... you don't see me buying a 2 seat sports car with no cargo capacity, it's not like I'm 60 buying a Corvette!" LOL

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Stereotypes are funny. I'm 62, but no one seems to think I'm having a midlife crisis. They just know I like cars. I think this is a great one, and have never limited myself by age expectations. I just get what I like, not what's "appropriate." My 60-year old friend just bought one at my recommendation, and he loves it.
Back to the topic, I have not felt it necessary to get a new RMM. My'16 has what's reported to be a stiffer one, and the car's stock except for the wheels. I drive it hard sometimes but don't launch it. I may do the MP215 tune, and if so, I'll reevaluate then.
Yeah, the improved RMM for '16 is "OK" if you aren't tuned and don't launch, but I highly recommend the MP215 package if you are worried about warranty, it will still really wake the car up and make it a pleasure! I personally did my research and decided that these engines are so stout that the engine itself can handle double the stock power so I'm gonna risk it, LOL..

danbfree

3000 Post Club

I got exactly the "mid-life crisis / kid's car" thing from my S.O. so I just reminded her how practical and economical it is, and she has an SUV for winter driving and more cargo we can use so she should be happy I got a cheap car with good mileage and decent practicality... but yes, all you need are ramps and the cheap torque wrench and it should take you an hour taking your time and you'll be mad at yourself for not doing it sooner! :)

OP
Jadar
Thread Starter #59
I got exactly the "mid-life crisis / kid's car" thing from my S.O. so I just reminded her how practical and economical it is, and she has an SUV for winter driving and more cargo we can use so she should be happy I got a cheap car with good mileage and decent practicality... but yes, all you need are ramps and the cheap torque wrench and it should take you an hour taking your time and you'll be mad at yourself for not doing it sooner! :)
Totally agree, I use it for 68mi round trip work car and I love the practicality. Beats driving a 2002 reg cab ranger that gets 16mpg.

Love this car.

cxwrench

Totally agree, I use it for 68mi round trip work car and I love the practicality. Beats driving a 2002 reg cab ranger that gets 16mpg.

Love this car.
Funny...I'm 55. I had a '00 Ranger XLT 4x4 before the ST. Only truck I've ever had, bought it when I was racing Supermoto. I'm much happier w/ the ST and w/o the truck/race bike!