Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Post Ford Safety Recall 17S09 (Low coolant sensor) - mountune mTune / Cobb AP - Lack or Flashing

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #21
Since it came from COBB and not mountune, may I assume that this if for the mtune..... (COBB tunes) and NOT yet for the mp215 as sold directly from mountune?
It let me update my mTune didn’t give me any errors. Cobb knew that I have an mTune and not a true Cobb accessport. Haven't flashed my car though, cross my fingers it doesn't brick the PCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #22
It let me update my mTune didn’t give me any errors. Cobb knew that I have an mTune and not a true Cobb accessport. Haven't flashed my car though, cross my fingers it doesn't brick the PCM.

I flashed my MP215 tune back on successfully tonight no issues. Now we wait for the low coolant sensor update from Cobb

Zormecteon

Thanx to everyone here who has helped or posted on this issue. I downloaded the AP manager and updated my mtune --mp215-- programming. I have NOT yet taken the car in for the coolant sensor. I think I will wait till there is a fix for that and just reflash once.

Please keep us posted as to when the final fix is in. I've told the dealer what was happening, and told him I wouldn't be in for the fix until COBB/mountune had finished. He seemed cool with that.

THANX again.

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #24
Thanx to everyone here who has helped or posted on this issue. I downloaded the AP manager and updated my mtune --mp215-- programming. I have NOT yet taken the car in for the coolant sensor. I think I will wait till there is a fix for that and just reflash once.

Please keep us posted as to when the final fix is in. I've told the dealer what was happening, and told him I wouldn't be in for the fix until COBB/mountune had finished. He seemed cool with that.

THANX again.
Can also confirm the drive to work was extremely fun again on the highway, let’s just say all the POWERRR is back

Business6

I just got my car back after dropping it off yesterday: neither of the sensors were installed as both failed to work, yay!

Gotta go through this again in a week or two when they get the parts in.

Zormecteon

It's been over a week since they issued ----FIX 1----- .. Any word on getting the coolant warnings to work with the mp215 tune?

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #27
It's been over a week since they issued ----FIX 1----- .. Any word on getting the coolant warnings to work with the mp215 tune?
Here's what I asked Cobb:
Any word on when another update will be available to include the low coolant sensor protection?

Cobb Tuning Response:
It's not a "protection" it's just to tell you, "hey the coolant is low". Looking at the makeup of what they installed, the only time that would kick on once the expansion tank was completely empty. This update will likely be towards the end of the year as we currently have high priority projects that are in-process at the moment. Until then, just check your coolant level every so often like you have been for the past 5 years.

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #28
Here's what I asked Cobb:
Any word on when another update will be available to include the low coolant sensor protection?

Cobb Tuning Response:
It's not a "protection" it's just to tell you, "hey the coolant is low". Looking at the makeup of what they installed, the only time that would kick on once the expansion tank was completely empty. This update will likely be towards the end of the year as we currently have high priority projects that are in-process at the moment. Until then, just check your coolant level every so often like you have been for the past 5 years.

Does anyone know what the new thermostat is supposed to crack open at?

I did the recall and I can watch my temps climb to ~190 before they stabilise.

redmoe

[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] what temps are you seeing with this t stat? In reasonable ambient (90 or lower). My stock 2017 hovers around 187.

koozy

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] what temps are you seeing with this t stat? In reasonable ambient (90 or lower). My stock 2017 hovers around 187.
I haven't installed the 180 stat, the same stat used for the recall yet, but I plan to install it soon though. I already have a Mishimoto radiator, which significantly reduced coolant temps, so the real test in my case is when the car being pushed hard; especially when ambient temps are high in the 100's. I expect it to be in the 190 range on the streets. I would be pleased with coolant temps between 180-220 under all conditions.

redmoe

Thanks pretty much where I am at with the stock t stat and mountune radiator. When it hits 110+ the temps just break into the 200s but it is much better than stock! Just trying to get a feel if they put these thermostats in the newer builds by default.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Just trying to get a feel if they put these thermostats in the newer builds by default.
Everything I've come across in researching shows that answer is no. It seems that the 180 stat was made to address the 14-15 affected model year recall worldwide, it's not just isolated in the U.S.

redmoe

Copy that, it will be interesting to see what temp it holds at in normal conditions.

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #37
I have the recall done on my 2014 FiST and had the mountune radiator installed at the same time, anyways I do notice somewhat lower coolant temps in at about 30deg C but also noticed lower fan demand speed. I believe Ford is trying to maintain certain coolant temps setpoint for efficiency purposes which running the fan slowly negates some of the extra cooling capacity of the mountune radiator. Will be interesting to see when I get MR230 installed if this changes the control of the cooling fan

Zormecteon

I took my car in last week to have the recall done. ..Also needed the blend door actuator replaced. Two jobs, one visit... This was Tuesday. I went in Wednesday and was told the car was going to ______ (the next guy who was to do the blend door.) I went in Thursday and was told that they had misplaced the recall parts and had had to reorder them. Went in Friday and they said they had the parts but since they had never done the job they didn't want to start on Friday because they were allotting 3 days to get it done right. ..

I went in yesterday, Wednesday and was told they couldn't reset the PCM. They have been locked out (by the mp215) tune and can't get in to reset it so they haven't started the work. I asked if they had done the blend door. .. Blank looks. They couldn't seem to locate the R.O. that had that job listed. I told them I would take the part (YH 1896) and the car to another dealer who could do the reset (and has done so in the past, twice). I went to get the part and they had lost it or sold it to another customer (I paid for it when i ordered it). ..

I was really hoping that the local dealer could do it. I have avoided using them since I bought the car (from a different dealer in Portland) not trusting the local-yokels. My fears have been confirmed. Now I will have to take the car to Portland, get a ride home, wait for it to be done and get a ride back. Pain the the ass but at least they should be able to do the task.

They said they couldn't connect to the FORD server. I know that the tune is locked and can only be reset by a genuine FORD dealer. Makes me wonder where they got their software, as I know this recall has been performed on cars that have the mp215 tune.

Don't know if this is rant, but thanks for letting me vent.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier. I kept putting off the recall because I was using the car, but the season is over and it is winter so I figured what the heck. 5 hours right? The car is currently at the third dealer to attmpt the fix, and has been there for 18 days and counting. They claim to have hacked into the wiring harness to splice in the sensor, and now the check-engine light is on. Probably never going to get the Cobb tune back on it after they are done with it! Grrrrrr, should have left well enough alone.