Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pumaspeed G25-550 turbo kit (reverse rotation) intro/review

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
This car just made an updated 416whp on the JST opening dyno day
Yep I talked with him and got that update, those are crazy numbers, and there's some stuff on Facebook about it. I'm still trying to get over to Daniel's house and make a follow-up video from the cockpit with some driving impressions/real world road driving but we haven't been able to connect. Hopefully that will come at some point.

This is exactly what I'm looking for with my car. Gonna keep it as low key as possible. Does this thing utilize an internal w/g?

Definitely not. Its a full blown external wastegate turbo kit. Manifold, external gate, downpipe, reverse turbo, etc. If i recall, a solid $4500 kit

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
This is exactly what I'm looking for with my car. Gonna keep it as low key as possible. Does this thing utilize an internal w/g?
the Pumaspeed kit uses an external wastegate but dumps to atmosphere
our Peron kit also uses an external wastegate but dumps back into the downpipe to avoid the noise

Definitely not. Its a full blown external wastegate turbo kit. Manifold, external gate, downpipe, reverse turbo, etc. If i recall, a solid $4500 kit
The Pumaspeed kit per their site is somewhere in the $5700 shipped area
Our Peron G-Series Kit is $4500

You may be getting the 2 kits mixed up

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Since I started this thread I'm updating. Still haven't ridden in the car but here are a few updates...

I have a couple videos uploaded but for some reason my Fotki account won't link them....I'll try to post/embed at some point. In the meantime here are links:

[video]https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/daniels-car/1540328142842.html[/video]

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/daniels-car/1540328147123.html

Hopefully at some point I can get a ride in the car and take some decent video and post some thoughts/experience from in the cabin.

pwnall1337

Vendor
Our pumaspeed g25 kit is $5,499. Our manifold is tig welded we do not recirculate the wastegate into the downpipe as it can create unwanted/unnecessary back pressure behind the turbine side of the turbo. It also uses reverse rotation to put the turbo closer to the head for faster spool up. (Pumaspeed kit)

Last edited:
Well damn, I guess this kit is a no go for me. I'm not gonna drive around, boosting and sounding like a big ass fart because I have an exhaust leak every time it spools up. Backpressure behind a turbine? Really? That makes absolutely no sense...... The exhaust gas is already extremely turbulent upon exiting the turbine....... I seriously doubt that an external waste gate that's plumbed a bit further down stream at a smooth angle is going to cause any loss of power at all. Especially considering most of the energy has been absorbed by the exhaust turbine. Oh well........ X this off the list. Will look elsewhere....

pwnall1337

Vendor
Well damn, I guess this kit is a no go for me. I'm not gonna drive around, boosting and sounding like a big ass fart because I have an exhaust leak every time it spools up. Back pressure behind a turbine? Really? That makes absolutely no sense...... The exhaust gas is already extremely turbulent upon exiting the turbine....... I seriously doubt that an external waste gate that's plumbed a bit further down stream at a smooth angle is going to cause any loss of power at all. Especially considering most of the energy has been absorbed by the exhaust turbine. Oh well........ X this off the list. Will look elsewhere....
There are multiple kits on the market. We designed ours based on the performance we were looking for. The g25 is a very free flowing exhaust turbo as Daniel experienced boost creep with his first manifold so pumaspeed got him a revised manifold. Recirculating the wastegate into the downpipe will increase pressure in the downpipe which at high rpm could result in power loss. Our kit is also the only reverse rotation kit on the market and the kit has been tested unlike the other kits on the market. This is a free and open market and you're more than welcome to get other kits, I'm just explaining the reasoning as to why we made it the way we did. I had a external wastegate on my blue focus st and I could barely hear it over the turbo and exhaust.

[video=youtube;DfWCoa0S7Yo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfWCoa0S7Yo[/video]

Yeah I follow what you're saying and I'm not knocking you at all. It does make good numbers for sure. It's just that Ive always known boost creep to be because of too small or a low quality WG. If the turbine side is very free flowing, wouldn't it let the exhaust pressure excape into the D pipe easier? And if a 3" exhaust pipe can support 380hp n/a, then I'd realistically expect it to support 450hp with boost and pose no restrictions. Correct me if my thinking is wrong. I'm here to learn and so far, so good.

pwnall1337

Vendor
Yeah I follow what you're saying and I'm not knocking you at all. It does make good numbers for sure. It's just that Ive always known boost creep to be because of too small or a low quality WG. If the turbine side is very free flowing, wouldn't it let the exhaust pressure excape into the D pipe easier? And if a 3" exhaust pipe can support 380hp n/a, then I'd realistically expect it to support 450hp with boost and pose no restrictions. Correct me if my thinking is wrong. I'm here to learn and so far, so good.
The G25 flows exhaust very well and easily. The opening was re designed to fit a larger tial wastegate to allow the gases to escape which solved the boost creep issue. Turbos do not like back pressure against the turbine side so we route the wastegate to atmosphere to keep the pressure as low as possible within the exhaust system.

Well if you guys ever try a recirc.WG, lemme know. I'd definitely be highly interested then. Hell, I'd even be a guinea pig to test it out if need be.

pwnall1337

Vendor
Well if you guys ever try a recirc.WG, lemme know. I'd definitely be highly interested then. Hell, I'd even be a guinea pig to test it out if need be.
We won't be doing a recirculated wastegate for the kit, however the X57RS bolt on turbo upgrade will be capable of 415~ whp while spooling at 3,400 RPM. The 1st iteration x57R (Non RS - smaller turbine) produced 364 whp on UK petrol 99 RON which is equivalent of 95 octane so I would expect 400whp on ethanol. It's a product coming out in a month or so. Priced under $2k

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
We won't be doing a recirculated wastegate for the kit, however the X57RS bolt on turbo upgrade will be capable of 415~ whp while spooling at 3,400 RPM. The 1st iteration x57R (Non RS - smaller turbine) produced 364 whp on UK petrol 99 RON which is equivalent of 95 octane so I would expect 400whp on ethanol. It's a product coming out in a month or so. Priced under $2k
Holy crap! That is cheap considering the other offerings that can make the same power.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Are these numbers with aux fuel I'm assuming?

I would love this turbo, as long as all the kinks are worked out. Don't want to be that guinea pig [wiggle]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #57
What up folks....

Got to ride in this car today and yes riding in a 416HP Fiesta is quite the experience. Check out the pics especially the bottom one (sorry it's pretty ghetto, I just printed his and drew my plots on top of it), it demonstrates the difference between my X47 and his G25-550. Quite a difference you will see! Very nice riding in this very well-built car. He does installs and he's a great guy who does awesome work so hit him up if you need something done.

Daniel is such a solid dude he's offered twice now to let me do the driving but I have yet to take him up on it. If that happens I'll post more thoughts but for now I'm sure he'll chime in at some point and share further insights on this setup. I know others have made similar power (low 400s) but to put it kindly their cars aren't roadworthy any more so I'm gonna go ahead and say this is the quickest/most powerful FiST on the planet right now. Daniel is too humble to say that so I'll say it for him.

Enjoy the pics and video!!!

[video=youtube;QDO18M4LT5U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDO18M4LT5U&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is with auxiliary fuel and all kinks have been worked out since July so I was the Guinea pig the kit is of the highest quality I’ve seen on the market!
Are these numbers with aux fuel I'm assuming?

I would love this turbo, as long as all the kinks are worked out. Don't want to be that guinea pig [wiggle]

Have you ever heard a external waste gate? Definitely doesn’t sound like a exhaust leak or a fart lol it only dumps when it hits around 25psi and bleeds off till it hits the target of 29.5 psi. it’s music to your ears and it will scare the hell out of Innocent bystanders who don’t have a clue what it is! I guess to each his own lol
Well damn, I guess this kit is a no go for me. I'm not gonna drive around, boosting and sounding like a big ass fart because I have an exhaust leak every time it spools up. Backpressure behind a turbine? Really? That makes absolutely no sense...... The exhaust gas is already extremely turbulent upon exiting the turbine....... I seriously doubt that an external waste gate that's plumbed a bit further down stream at a smooth angle is going to cause any loss of power at all. Especially considering most of the energy has been absorbed by the exhaust turbine. Oh well........ X this off the list. Will look elsewhere....