Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why are so many people selling?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There are too many great cars out there to limit yourself to just one. Other cars in the same vein that I would like to experience, BRZ and ND MX5. Lightweight, fun, communicative with far superior build quality so why not. I can only afford one car at a time so at some point the FiST has to go.
A point that I think no one has yet made in this discussion is that for some the FiST was simply the "flavor of the month". The car was (is) just another passing fancy, and once the novelty wears off, it's time to go get another taste. This can be especially true for the heavy modders, who, once they have done all they can to car, need another "fix" since to Hot-Rodders (in general) a car is never done, and once it is "done" its time for something else to tinker with in the garage. They have an investment in tools, lifts, etc in their garage, and if they aren't going to be using them again, there is no point in owning all those tools.

My 2¢
Shorthand version of these is, "car slut". You done hit and hit and hit it [smackbum], now it's time to quit it and move on to the next. Fortunately cars don't have feelings to hurt so the guilt factor is more limited to pocket book considerations.

I'm more of the "'til death do we part" type. Divorces are often expensive, sometimes messy. Generally, it is cheaper to keep'er; particularly if you're able to do much of your own maintenance (no marriage counseling) and/or have good help (parents, siblings and inlaws). Wait... am I still talking about cars? [paranoid]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Z
Shorthand version of these is, "car slut". You done hit and hit and hit it [smackbum], now it's time to quit it and move on to the next. Fortunately cars don't have feelings to hurt so the guilt factor is more limited to pocket book considerations.

I'm more of the "'til death do we part" type. Divorces are often expensive, sometimes messy. Generally, it is cheaper to keep'er; particularly if you're able to do much of your own maintenance (no marriage counseling) and/or have good help (parents, siblings and inlaws). Wait... am I still talking about cars? [paranoid]
I have been on both sides of this fence. Owned cars till they died and moved along like a slut. In fact I own multiple cars and did just recently have an acquitance mention that I changed cars quite often. Of course they did not realize the last 3 cars they had seen me own I still owned. Rather than getting rid of them;I had added to the stable.
I have cars for particular reasons, unlke most I deviated away from the you only need one car sensability long ago. Did I call it sensabilty? Yes I did because thats how the average person looks at it.
For me it was part passion and part fun. I bought multiples of models because I could and built them and sold them.
Can’t expect to do that with an ST, don’t want to do that with an ST want to keep it drive it, enjoy it.
We are entering a different time with cars. Hybrids, Electrics , No manuals, semi autonomous and autonomous ( on the horizon) .

Its like if there was an anime you could see the old gramps having a Fiesta ST amd telling his grandkid it was one of the last great drivers cars!

So no slut on this one though monogamous? Eh no. Lol

Intuit

3000 Post Club
...if I had more bedrooms to be monogamous... I mean more space to own more cars, the FiST would be parked for most of the Winters. At only two years there's enough rust to be concerning. They should'a done a lot better and will be a considerable factor on my next purchase.

Mikey456

There are too many great cars out there to limit yourself to just one. Other cars in the same vein that I would like to experience, BRZ and ND MX5. Lightweight, fun, communicative with far superior build quality so why not. I can only afford one car at a time so at some point the FiST has to go.
Well I test drove the FiST, but I never tried the frs/brz or wrx. Out of curiosity has anybody tried them? How do they match up with our cars?

me32

1000 Post Club
Because the economy is good, gas is “cheap”, and Americans gotta have their big old SUVs that cost as much as a house. Yay debt!!!!!

Ironically, I did just buy an SUV (2011 Xterra with a manual) but I bought it to be used off-road as a toy. I also bought it outright with the funds from selling my Ducati. I must say that ridding high is a nice feeling but I agree it’s dumb that so many are selling their Fiestas. Especially with the depreciation hit people are taking right now.
Glad gas is cheap for you. In CA gas is not cheap. But the economy is good. Which is why ford is selling a ton of fully loaded trucks, suv

...if I had more bedrooms to be monogamous... I mean more space to own more cars, the FiST would be parked for most of the Winters. At only two years there's enough rust to be concerning. They should'a done a lot better and will be a considerable factor on my next purchase.
Same here, I'm even noticing rust inside the car.

Too true. My Fiesta was my first true love, but shortly after the relationship began she started to let herself go. Because of that, I can't help but to lust after other cars now. [:p]

zanethan

Glad gas is cheap for you. In CA gas is not cheap. But the economy is good. Which is why ford is selling a ton of fully loaded trucks, suv
Oh it’s not what I would consider cheap but everyone seams to think it is right now. Although, I am lucky enough to live close enough to where I work that I can ride my bicycle so a tank of gas lasts roughly one month for me.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Because the economy is good, gas is “cheap”, and Americans gotta have their big old SUVs that cost as much as a house. Yay debt!!!!! ..............
For a late 80s movie about the future, there are elements that weren't too far off LoL.

It's funny. When fuel is "cheap" and the economy is good, we buy big and vote Republican. When gas skyrockets and the economy heads towards the precipice, we buy smaller and vote Democrat.

............. Too true. My Fiesta was my first true love, but shortly after the relationship began she started to let herself go. Because of that, I can't help but to lust after other cars now. [:p]
Hehehe... gooood one. [clap] There's a water leak up front that they haven't fixed. So the high humidity is part of the reason I too am seeing rust behind the dash. If the front window fogs on the inside after sitting through a rain then you may have the same issue. It was doing that from new.

Well I test drove the FiST, but I never tried the frs/brz or wrx. Out of curiosity has anybody tried them? How do they match up with our cars?
I've driven them all. Sans Wrx, they achieve the same thing but go about it very differently. I prefer the ND to the twins and the wrx is too refined to even compare to the twins/ND/Fist. I recommend taking all of them for an extended test drive. I currently own an ND and will be putting a Fist beside it.

Statistics tell the tale, mostly.......

Industry average purchase rate is 36 percent, new and used combined. 43 percent finance the car. 21 percent choose to lease or secondary lease. My gut tells me that Fiesta ST is probably being leased far less than the stated average. The residual value is just not high enough (say manual transmission hatchback)to keep the payment reasonable enough to be attractive. I also think that we generally modify the shit outta these cars and then crash them or get bored and dump them at a rate that is more than twice the rate of a Mustang. As for crashing, if a Fiesta is damaged to the point that airbags deploy and that car has more than 30 k on it, it's done. The underwriters will want to total it. It's a great car, but like most fun things, it's not going to be around (fairly common to find)for a long time.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Industry average purchase rate is 36 percent, new and used combined. 43 percent finance the car. 21 percent choose to lease or secondary lease. My gut tells me that Fiesta ST is probably being leased far less than the stated average. The residual value is just not high enough (say manual transmission hatchback)to keep the payment reasonable enough to be attractive. I also think that we generally modify the shit outta these cars and then crash them or get bored and dump them at a rate that is more than twice the rate of a Mustang. As for crashing, if a Fiesta is damaged to the point that airbags deploy and that car has more than 30 k on it, it's done. The underwriters will want to total it. It's a great car, but like most fun things, it's not going to be around (fairly common to find)for a long time.

Actually lease terms on ours cars was not bad $179 a month payments. Thats cheap for a lease. Truth most people that have FiST’s would rather buy to own. Even if they change their mind in a couple of years.

me32

1000 Post Club
Actually lease terms on ours cars was not bad $179 a month payments. Thats cheap for a lease. Truth most people that have FiST’s would rather buy to own. Even if they change their mind in a couple of years.
How much down was that?

me32

1000 Post Club
If I recall that lease required a 2k down.
I always wonder why ever put money down on a lease if you plan to turn it back in? Better off keeping the 2k just make the monthly payments.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I always wonder why ever put money down on a lease if you plan to turn it back in? Better off keeping the 2k just make the monthly payments.
Personally I do not understand why someone would lease one of our cars in the first place. Its just too tempting to mod. Lease cars are something you get drive and get rid of.

Though like I alluded to earlier its not like Ford did not make the lease attractive.

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
Personally I would only sell if Ford released the 3 cylinder FiST domestic-side.

Honestly nothing else on the market fits the niche that the FiST does. Until something just as practical, more fun, and just as cheap to own comes along, I'll just keep my 2014 :)

An upfront payment or a vehicle trade worth 2 or 3 grand is usually required. It's not at your discretion. If Ford is offering leases that cheap, they are intentionally losing money on each one! Which is possible. The results of fire sale deals like that have the effect of ruining the average transaction prices when the accountants calculate the bottom lines. Which bolster the argument for not selling it in America. It's like expecting a Fiesta to safely tow a bulldozer. And when it obviously can't, they conclude that it's just not a viable product. It's a self fulfilling professy.

me32

1000 Post Club
An upfront payment or a vehicle trade worth 2 or 3 grand is usually required. It's not at your discretion. If Ford is offering leases that cheap, they are intentionally losing money on each one! Which is possible. The results of fire sale deals like that have the effect of ruining the average transaction prices when the accountants calculate the bottom lines. Which bolster the argument for not selling it in America. It's like expecting a Fiesta to safely tow a bulldozer. And when it obviously can't, they conclude that it's just not a viable product. It's a self fulfilling professy.

I put 0 down on my 2018 fusion lease. Why put money down on a 0% loan for something you will return in 2-3yrs. That 2k could go in a cd for 2-3% interest for that time.

Your only putting that money up to cover the taxes and fees. Instead you could roll the taxes and fees into the payment of the lease. Now credit will be the biggest factor.