Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Reasonable Delay for Output Shaft Bearing Service?

Dropped off my car at the dealership on Sept 30 to warranty what I believe is the output shaft bearing.
Initially quoted that it would take "more than 2 weeks" so I was thinking 3 weeks or so?
If I remember correctly they took apart the transmission to figure out which component went wrong, and the car has probably been sitting on their hoist ever since
They are telling me that there is no parts availability and over the past 4 weeks there isn't really anything they can do with the car.
They set me up with a courtesy car, a brand new Ford Focus SE with 100 kms on it which was nice and I have no complaints over the way the service department has handled this.
But is it normal that it takes this long to source a part? I'm in Canada but I'm guessing they can source these internationally so I'm not sure why the process seems so inefficient.
I saw a few posts about the output shaft bearing issue and it seemed like most of you guys were in and out in less than a week, I am 5 weeks in and counting.

thoughts?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm waiting on a transmission or bearings like you. My car was inspected, they ordered parts and gave my car back. They told me to drive it since it's just a noise and doesn't effect the way the car drives. I've been meaning to call and get an update. Been about 5-6 weeks

OP
justinsane
Thread Starter #3
I'm waiting on a transmission or bearings like you. My car was inspected, they ordered parts and gave my car back. They told me to drive it since it's just a noise and doesn't effect the way the car drives. I've been meaning to call and get an update. Been about 5-6 weeks
Yeah, for me the issue started in July and the car had always driven perfectly fine. Did they take apart your transmission and put it back together?
For me I dropped off the car in Early September for a diagnosis, they verified the noise and said they'd cover it under warranty and asked me to drop it off 2 weeks later.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Yeah, for me the issue started in July and the car had always driven perfectly fine. Did they take apart your transmission and put it back together?
For me I dropped off the car in Early September for a diagnosis, they verified the noise and said they'd cover it under warranty and asked me to drop it off 2 weeks later.
I don't think they actually took the transmission apart. They could've, they had the car for about a week before calling me and saying parts were on back order. my local dealer is a mess though. Every time I go in the service writer can't find my keys, doesn't remember where he put my paper work, doesn't return calls. For all I know the tech drove the car, verified the noise and parked it.

OP
justinsane
Thread Starter #7
We're just a few days shy of 2 months now!
Got another call from the service advisor that they're still waiting on parts...
Have put about 2500 miles on the courtesy Ford Focus
I wonder if I'll have my car back for Christmas.... [mecry]

[MENTION=952]frankiefiesta[/MENTION] and [MENTION=997]justinsane[/MENTION] Any updates on getting your situations resolved? I've had a bearing noise since I bought my '16 in September. After 3 months and multiple visits the dealership finally agreed that my output bearing is shot. They told me they're going to order the parts in. I immediately told the service manager that from what I've seen, the bearing will never become available and that a new tranny needs to be ordered. They said that they need to go through the process with Ford: Put in the warranty claim, order parts, wait two weeks and escalate the order to emergency status, wait another 1-2 weeks and then request a replacement transmission. [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] Is this normal procedure? I've been driving for 5k miles with a bearing wailing away on the highway ever since I drove off the lot. From reading other threads it seems as though I probably have another 2-3months before anything gets done.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=952]frankiefiesta[/MENTION] and [MENTION=997]justinsane[/MENTION] Any updates on getting your situations resolved? I've had a bearing noise since I bought my '16 in September. After 3 months and multiple visits the dealership finally agreed that my output bearing is shot. They told me they're going to order the parts in. I immediately told the service manager that from what I've seen, the bearing will never become available and that a new tranny needs to be ordered. They said that they need to go through the process with Ford: Put in the warranty claim, order parts, wait two weeks and escalate the order to emergency status, wait another 1-2 weeks and then request a replacement transmission. [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] Is this normal procedure? I've been driving for 5k miles with a bearing wailing away on the highway ever since I drove off the lot. From reading other threads it seems as though I probably have another 2-3months before anything gets done.
I'm not sure of the procedure. The service writer I dealt with told me he ordered the tranny. I waited about 2 months and it was in.

Transmission now replaced it whines in 3rd and 4th gear only. I was not happy with the service and the outcome so I'm going to live with it. With my exhaust I only hear the whine at low speeds anymore. It is what it is and it's sort of sad

me32

1000 Post Club
With parts being on back order it makes it hard for the dealership. Its great they are taking care of you for the time being.

[MENTION=670]me32[/MENTION] It's not that parts are on back order, they're just not available. I don't know of a single person on this forum that has had just the bearing replaced. It's only after months of waiting that Ford finally approves a transmission swap.

Hey NJBooST,

I'm not aware of what normal procedure is at dealerships, but my offer to look into this for you and see how I can help still stands. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick