Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Did you know your Fiesta ST could.....("secret" features thread)

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey I was reading another thread about the car talking and I started remembering all sorts of neat features I've accidentally discovered about my car so I thought I'd make a thread to share them and hear stuff that others know about....if you have a Lexus none of this stuff is a big deal but if your last car was a 1995 like me then maybe you'd be impressed that your Fiesta could...

THE REAR HATCH WILL OPEN EVEN WHEN THE CAR IS LOCKED
If you have the key fob on you, you can open the back without unlocking the car. It'll stay locked when you close it.

THE HEADLIGHTS RE-INSTALL VERY EASILY EVERY TIME
Thanks to a rotating and sliding clip, they go in quite easily. I've taken them out so many times that it took me awhile to realize this, but once I did it makes the job cake. Just rotate it in the right way, push the headlight down into the clip, then slide it into place, super easy, no cussing.

WHEN THE CAR IS OFF, IF YOU PULL THE HIGH BEAM STALK TOWARD YOU THE LIGHTS WILL FLASH ON AND THEN DING AND THEN STAY ON
Other cars flash it on and off, but not the Fiesta. The "ding" is to remind you to pull the stalk again to turn them off. Very intuitive.

THE WIPER SWEEPS ONE EXTRA TIME, A FEW SECONDS LATER, AFTER BEING TURNED OFF
I've always wanted a car that would do this by itself.

THE GLOVE BOX HAS A STRAP AT THE TOP
That's where you can secure your owner's manual so it's not in the way every time you have to reach for your gum or lightsaber.

THE CAR HAS A WEATHER MAP
Just push the prompt on the steering wheel, say "weather map", and there you have it. Zoom in, zoom out. It also tells you movie times and a few other neat things. I use the weather feature almost daily. Has current and 5-day too.

THE CAR WILL VERBALLY TELL YOU IF TIRE PRESSURE IS LOW
I've not experienced this but I read about it in another thread.

YOUR REAR CARGO AREA HAS TWO HEIGHT SETTINGS
Check the manual, you can raise it in order to hide stuff under it!

THE CAR HAS A HILL HOLDER CLUTCH!
Most of us knew this, but I remember when I accidentally discovered it in the beginning, I was pleasantly surprised.

That's it for me! Anything else that's "secret"?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hey I was reading another thread about the car talking and I started remembering all sorts of neat features I've accidentally discovered about my car so I thought I'd make a thread to share them and hear stuff that others know about....if you have a Lexus none of this stuff is a big deal but if your last car was a 1995 like me then maybe you'd be impressed that your Fiesta could...

That's it for me! Anything else that's "secret"?
I was aware of maybe half of these
great thread idea!

Bluedrank

The front DC jack shuts off immediately when the car is powered down. However, the rear DC jack is on a timer and remains on even while the car is locked for 10 minute. Very useful for dashcam users that don't want to hardwire.

THE HEADLIGHTS RE-INSTALL VERY EASILY EVERY TIME
Thanks to a rotating and sliding clip, they go in quite easily. I've taken them out so many times that it took me awhile to realize this, but once I did it makes the job cake. Just rotate it in the right way, push the headlight down into the clip, then slide it into place, super easy, no cussing.
Apparently mine didn't come with the "no cussing" option. I end up cussing every time. I'll have to try to figure this out since I'm sure I've not taken them out for the last time yet...

The front DC jack shuts off immediately when the car is powered down.
Not mine, it stays on FOREVER (2016 model). I leave my dashcam plugged in to it to record while I'm away.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
THE CAR WILL VERBALLY TELL YOU IF TIRE PRESSURE IS LOW
I've not experienced this but I read about it in another thread.
Is this true? That would suck if I get a new set of wheels and tires for the track -- I have never had TPMS before and don't want or need it now. I can deal with the idiot light, but any bells, whistles, or verbal warnings would drive me freaking nuts

Bluedrank

Apparently mine didn't come with the "no cussing" option. I end up cussing every time. I'll have to try to figure this out since I'm sure I've not taken them out for the last time yet...

Not mine, it stays on FOREVER (2016 model). I leave my dashcam plugged in to it to record while I'm away.
Well that's odd and not the way it's supposed to be. My '16 model works as the way I described above

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is this true? That would suck if I get a new set of wheels and tires for the track -- I have never had TPMS before and don't want or need it now. I can deal with the idiot light, but any bells, whistles, or verbal warnings would drive me freaking nuts
I believe that this is ONLY with the Nav system, just like the weather map mentioned above.

I don't have Nav, and every once and a while the TPMS system will 'ding' (chime) when I am running my sensor-less summer wheel setup. [:(]

The US spec you can get in your ST, start the car, get out of the car, use the button on the fob and lock the car with it still running. Great tip for the winter months coming up.
Used it this morning to warm the car up for about 5 min in the 23 degree weather we have right now.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
It's all a good feature when I run into the gas station for two minutes and my kids are in the car. AC and they can't get out lol

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=3995]jeff[/MENTION] - What do you mean by "hill holder clutch"? Are you referring to the Hill Assist feature, which presumably employs the ABS braking system and not the clutch? Do you mean that there's some special provision in the transmission that locks the vehicle in place without relying on engine compression and internal friction? Are you referring to some special design feature of the hand brake?

I turned off Hill Assist and use Reverse as my parking poll... in addition to the hand brake of course. On steep hills, engine compression would not hold my old car (even with the aid of a curb) so it was entirely reliant upon the hand brake. Rather than risk paying for a funeral, doctors, house and/or an entire row of vehicles, I just parked it somewhere else as the hand brake was less than reliable due to worn automatic brake adjusters. (impossible to acquire as a new part so that was a junkyard only part)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
[MENTION=3995]I just parked it somewhere else as the hand brake was less than reliable due to worn automatic brake adjusters. (impossible to acquire as a new part so that was a junkyard only part)
My state's draconian (and CORRUPT, payola ridden, conflict of interest) privatized inspection failed me some years ago when my 2000 Z28's one side snapped parking brake cable would not hold the car on an incline.
This never would have happened, but they first failed me for a tiny, minuscule gear oil drip from the axle end seal, which was NOWHERE NEAR ANY of the rear brake components (which do very little to slow/stop that car ANYWAY), and in getting that replaced, the parking brake cable got FUBARED! [mad]
GM discontinued that part LONG AGO (and even the 'best' aftermarket ones just DID NOT WORK), so I too had to go to a boneyard type part-out guy for 4th gen f bodies.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
There is a hook on each side of the hatch area that you can loop the straps of a plastic grocery bag over. It's at a good height to hold them tightly and prevent them from sliding around as you whip your agile car around turns.
Dude! I have never seen those probably because I have the shelf/privacy cover. Thanks!

Isn't that only if you subscribe to the Ford service?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Have Nav and pay the subscription for weather and traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think everyone gets 5 free years from when the car is new.

[MENTION=3995]jeff[/MENTION] - What do you mean by "hill holder clutch"? Are you referring to the Hill Assist feature, which presumably employs the ABS braking system and not the clutch? Do you mean that there's some special provision in the transmission that locks the vehicle in place without relying on engine compression and internal friction? Are you referring to some special design feature of the hand brake?

I turned off Hill Assist and use Reverse as my parking poll... in addition to the hand brake of course. On steep hills, engine compression would not hold my old car (even with the aid of a curb) so it was entirely reliant upon the hand brake. Rather than risk paying for a funeral, doctors, house and/or an entire row of vehicles, I just parked it somewhere else as the hand brake was less than reliable due to worn automatic brake adjusters. (impossible to acquire as a new part so that was a junkyard only part)
Sorry I'm from the Subaru world, they call it hill holder. I'm not sure how it works in the Ford but it is a great feature.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Dude! I have never seen those probably because I have the shelf/privacy cover. Thanks!
I have the shelf/privacy cover,too. When I raised the hatch one time, which lifts the shelf/privacy cover up with it, I noticed the hooks. They sit a little below the shelf if I'm remembering them right.

Great idea for a thread-it's fun learning about the little obscure things you didn't know about.

Last edited:

Zissou

I think everyone gets 5 free years from when the car is new.

Sorry I'm from the Subaru world, they call it hill holder. I'm not sure how it works in the Ford but it is a great feature.
What!? I only got like 6 months of that Sirius + traffic/weather.