Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SYNC 3 Update (November 2017)

I've just noticed that my '17 is eligible for the SYNC 3 update (version 2.3)

I'm not sure how these are pushed out, but I figured I'd let everyone know!

It will use the cars WiFi to download the update. It's huge and is done in parts over days. You can go to Fords site and download a 2 or 3 gigabyte file to a USB and do it manually. I got two jump drives and did it to mine and the wife car at the same time. It took about 30 minutes and is idiot proof. Not much changes but support for Samsung/Apple navigation and music stuff. I think it's a tiny bit slower to respond, it's noticeable when changing volume. In hind sight... doens't change much for me so do if you're bored.

OP
Sprinkle_Star
Thread Starter #3
When I first learned about the availability of version 2.3, I'd attempted to update SYNC 3 automatically using Wi-Fi. For some reason, I wasn't able to do the update this way, so I purchased a USB drive to perform the update manually.

I was eventually able to update the software, but the experience was anything but smooth.

Since this was my first time updating SYNC 3, I would mostly attribute this vexatious experience to my unfamiliarity of the overall process.

Now I'm wondering what all has changed. Are there any release notes for version 2.3 on the web that aren't completely vague?

When I first learned about the availability of version 2.3, I'd attempted to update SYNC 3 automatically using Wi-Fi. For some reason, I wasn't able to do the update this way, so I purchased a USB drive to perform the update manually.

I was eventually able to update the software, but the experience was anything but smooth.

Since this was my first time updating SYNC 3, I would mostly attribute this vexatious experience to my unfamiliarity of the overall process.

Now I'm wondering what all has changed. Are there any release notes for version 2.3 on the web that aren't completely vague?
How did you get it working? I tried how it says on the website to do it and nothing happened at all. I left the exFAT formatted 32GB flash drive with the files in a USB port in the car while taking the long way home for 35 minutes. At that point I was hungry and gave up. Nothing ever came up on the screen and even after I shut off the car and turned it back on it never said update failed. I was able to successfully do the update to 2.2 last year with a flash drive, but this one doesn't seem to work.

Does it give some sort of progress or does it leave you guessing until the update finishes?

How did you get it working? I tried how it says on the website to do it and nothing happened at all. I left the exFAT formatted 32GB flash drive with the files in a USB port in the car while taking the long way home for 35 minutes. At that point I was hungry and gave up. Nothing ever came up on the screen and even after I shut off the car and turned it back on it never said update failed. I was able to successfully do the update to 2.2 last year with a flash drive, but this one doesn't seem to work.

Does it give some sort of progress or does it leave you guessing until the update finishes?
Make sure the usb drive is initialized as MBR. Once you have the files on the drive within 10-20 seconds of plugging the usb drive into the car, with the car turned on, it will have a bar at the top of the screen that says its updating.

This is on a different car, but you should see this:

Make sure the usb drive is initialized as MBR. Once you have the files on the drive within 10-20 seconds of plugging the usb drive into the car, with the car turned on, it will have a bar at the top of the screen that says its updating.

This is on a different car, but you should see this:
I definitely didn't see that. I shall try again at some point. Thanks.

I've downloaded the 2.3 update to a 32gb flash drive. Formatted exFAT, I plug it in, takes a few minutes to say "updating system software" and then a few minutes into that I get this message on the screen. Have re-formatted and re-downloaded the install files multiple times and this happens. Halp?

I've downloaded the 2.3 update to a 32gb flash drive. Formatted exFAT, I plug it in, takes a few minutes to say "updating system software" and then a few minutes into that I get this message on the screen. Halp?

Delete files off of the USB drive, copy them back, when done eject the USB drive in your OS before unplugging the USB drive. Likely what happened is it was still writing when removed even though your OS said it was done.

Delete files off of the USB drive, copy them back, when done eject the USB drive in your OS before unplugging the USB drive. Likely what happened is it was still writing when removed even though your OS said it was done.
I'll give that another shot and see

Also try giving fat32 a shot. I used my fat32 formatted drive to update to 2.2 a while back
Or I'll try this next

OP
Sprinkle_Star
Thread Starter #13
This might sound silly, but before *and* after I'd updated to version 2.3, I did a master reset.

I don't know if doing this made a difference, but I can sometimes be neurotic like that :p

I wish I could get to 2.2 I’m still at 1.0, my 16 fist has spent 11 hours total over 2 trips to my dealership only for them to say we don’t know why it or we can’t update it. I’ve called Ford twice and all they say is we’re look into it and we’ll call you back

I had no issues... Followed the directions on the website and the update installed on my drive to work this AM. That being said, I didn't really notice anything new after the update was done.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
What are the major differences, if any, between the 2.3 that I can get from the Ford website or the 3.0 that I can get from the other thread?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What are the major differences, if any, between the 2.3 that I can get from the Ford website or the 3.0 that I can get from the other thread?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Not 100% sure what the changes are without some deep reading. I am running 3.0, it's working well, haven't had any issues. Dunno what has changed behind the scenes though.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41251

I tried the 3.0 update awhile back and it kept failing. Gave up on that and tried for 2.3 and it doesn't even try on either a fat32 pr exfat usb drive. I had done a master reset a couple weeks ago. I'll give the reset another go and try the update immediately after when I have time to waste on it.

Today I picked up my 2017 Platinum white with black wheels. It came with sync version 2.3 which makes me happy I don't have to think about updating it. Anyone know if this car supports Bluetooth apt-x? Just curiosity actually as I don't think I would notice the difference when driving, with road and engine noises excetera. I'll be adding a post to the new members soon. Took a 26 Mile Drive and I love this thing.