Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powerflex RMM large bushing installed!

kevinatfms

Just installed it and have driven about 300 miles and can it's amazing. No extra NVH over stock and no more clunk. Total cost was $80 with the extra mount and bushing plus about two hours time to remove the old bushing with a 3 jaw puller.
Here are some pics:

You can see it pushing out.

Completely removed.

And installed into the car.

For the price and no NVH increase its the perfect solution. I have an extra mount I can remove the large bushing for someone if they would like to try this.
Part number for the bushing is PFF19-2001 and you can get it on eBay or powerflexusa.com for about $50 shipped.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
[MENTION=1960]kevinatfms[/MENTION]

Question...No NVM is kinda hard to believe....How stable is this at idle (loaded) with the AC running?

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #3
[MENTION=1960]kevinatfms[/MENTION]

Question...How stable is this at idle (loaded) with the AC running?
Same as the stock car. No noticeable NVH over factory. This is why i went this route instead of other RMM options. It seems to be softer than the Cobb unit but still stiffer than the factory mount. The durometer of the polyurethane mix is 30% stiffer than the factory rubber but it also removes the voids in the factory mount. You can go harder with the "race" version which is 80% stiffer but i wanted a more compliant ride over a full 80-90 durometer bushing.

The only time i felt anything different was when i was making a left hand turn out of my neighborhood. The road is crowned to one side and loads the car to one side. I dont know if the bushing removed the side to side deflection but it was barely noticeable and was the first time out. This morning when making the left hand turn it did not do it, might have been a one time thing.

I can take some iphone video on the way home if you would like? I dont know how good it will be but it may be worth something. Also, after this first 1000 miles i will update again with any news if people would like it?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Same as the stock car. No noticeable NVH over factory. This is why i went this route instead of other RMM options. It seems to be softer than the Cobb unit but still stiffer than the factory mount. The durometer of the polyurethane mic is 30% stiffer than the factory rubber but it also removes the voids in the factory mount. You can go harder with the "race" version which is 80% stiffer but i wanted a more compliant ride over a full 80-90 durometer bushing.

I can take some iphone video on the way home if you would like? I dont know how good it will be but it may be worth something.
So you had the Cobb RMM installed and are comparing to this with AC running and no noticeable NVH? That's really good to hear for folks like myself that constantly have the AC running on high for at least 4~5 months out the year!

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #5
So you had the Cobb RMM installed and are comparing to this with AC running and no noticeable NVH? That's really good to hear for folks like myself that constantly have the AC running on high for at least 4~5 months out the year!
Ive never had another motor mount but did ride in another car at a recent car meet and found the Cobb mount to be quite excessive compared to stock. This lead me to go down the Powerflex road since the bushing material was much softer than the other polyurethane units on the market. I was a big fan of Breedt for a while since they still use a rubber based compound in their street trim bushing but i wasnt a fan of the capture design over the press in bushings. The capture design lets it slide around and can damage it pretty easy.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I can take some iphone video on the way home if you would like? I dont know how good it will be but it may be worth something.
If that wouldn't be too much trouble to ask could you place a water bottle or clear plastic cup filled about ~2" of water on the dash and take a video showing "off" / "running at idle with AC off"/ and "with AC running"...that would be very helpful to visualize the level of NVH added...

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #7
If that wouldn't be too much trouble to ask could you place a water bottle or clear plastic cup filled about ~2" of water on the dash and take a video showing "off" / "running at idle"/ and "with AC running"...that would be very helpful to visualize the level of NVH added...
Ill do it tonight for you. So just running at idle without a/c and one at idle with a/c? Easy enough.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ill do it tonight for you. So just running at idle without a/c and one at idle with a/c? Easy enough.
3 conditions shown - (engine off - for baseline / engine on @ idle (after warmup ) with AC off / engine on @ idle (after warmup) with AC running (high)

thanks ...you post timing is great as I was just considering these powerflex inserts a few days ago myself!

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #9
3 conditions shown - (engine off - for baseline / engine on @ idle (after warmup ) with AC off / engine on @ idle (after warmup) with AC running (high)

thanks ...you post timing is great as I was just considering these powerflex inserts a few days ago myself!
Will do. Ill get it done tonight. One thing though, i did not replace the front smaller bushing. I left the rubber in place as its a great damper for NVH over the 40% stiffer purple Powerflex bushing. Ill stick with the rubber stock front bushing till it wears out(which will probably be never since its solid). This might be another reason why its so smooth.

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #10
Looking at it now i have a long lunch today i can do it. Ill get the videos done around lunch and upload them ASAP.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Will do. Ill get it done tonight. One thing though, i did not replace the front smaller bushing. I left the rubber in place as its a great damper for NVH over the 40% stiffer purple Powerflex bushing. Ill stick with the rubber stock front bushing till it wears out(which will probably be never since its solid). This might be another reason why its so smooth.
That's good to know..I don't think I would have replaced the smaller front bushing either...look forward to seeing the video ...very much much appreciated!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
No problem. If you want any more videos please let me know and ill be glad to grab them.
Hey thanks...that was a great visual demonstration!

So "qualitatively" speaking you really felt no real difference between AC full on (Hi) verses off during idle?

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #16
It's the same as stock. No difference that I can feel. The polyurethane alone is softer than any other bushing on the market.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
No 1st -2nd shift clunk with the Powerflex bushings, so in that regard there far better than stock. They were the first mod to my FiST.

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #18
No 1st -2nd shift clunk with the Powerflex bushings, so in that regard there far better than stock. They were the first mod to my FiST.
I dont get the "clunk" but i do still get the shifter noise click from 1-2 and 2-3 that i had before the bushing went in. I dont mind it since it was there when it was stock. I am assuming its from the linkage or something since its not the bang shift i had before when i was anything over 1/2 throttle. That was brutal.

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #20
Just a little update. I have been trying for the past month to help another forum member out by removing the bushing on my old 2015 mount. It seems that Ford has used a different bushing or sleeve material because it has been a true nightmare trying to get this bushing out. Apart from melting this thing to oblivion with an acetylene torch i have used hammers, a file, cut off wheels, 12 and 24 ton presses....still wants to hold to the billet aluminum mount by some god like force. This is one tough bushing and sleeve.

If you plan on this mod try to find a 2014 mount since it came out as easy as could be. The 2015's are like glued into it or something.