Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wow, the "summer only" warning about stock tires is for real!

I really didn't think much about the "summer tires" that came on my new ST, but that light dusting of snow we just got in Atlanta almost forced me to abandon my car. I'm a former upstate NY resident with plenty of FWD snow driving experience, but with the stock tires the car simply cannot climb even the slightest incline if there is anything sticking to the road.

Looks like I'll be leaving the ST in the garage if there is even a hint of snow in the future. Maybe I will also consider a set of wheels with all season tires.

Zormecteon

Worse yet, If you do get going, because you were on a level surface, you find that you can't brake or turn... I crashed my Focus and learned my lesson the hard way.

Road and Track did a tire test. In the segment wherein they did acceleration tests, they could not even get the test car (A Cadillac STS) up to 60 mph within ONE MILE in (light) snow.

Bluedrank

One time I got stuck in an unexpected snow storm in my SRT 4 while driving from Florida to Asheville, NC. By the time I arrived near my destination I had to just abandon the car. The lack of traction with the summer tires combined with the high boost and torque of the car prevented me from moving even small distances. It just sat there for days until the snow went away.

I am extremely glad that I'd purchased some winter tires, even though I had to shell out a bunch of dough. We've finally been blessed with a little bit of snow, but it has disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

I definitely didn't think summer tires would be THAT bad; just thought I was being overly proactive.

One of the initial facts I'd noticed about the stock tires was the ambient temperature warning.

"Since summer tires do
not have the same traction performance
as All-season or Snow tires, we do not
recommend using summer tires when
temperatures drop to about 45°F (7°C) or
below (depending on tire wear and
environmental conditions) or in snow and
ice conditions. Like any tire, summer tire
performance is affected by tire wear and
environmental conditions. If you must drive
in those conditions, we recommend using
Mud and Snow (M+S, M/S), All-season or
Snow tires."

Business6

Had a snow storm years ago earlier than anticipated and didn't have my winter setup prepared for my Mazda6. I had Kumho Ecsta SPTs on and, amazingly, I got home without any issues at all despite the snow coming down like I was flying through space. Put on Blizzaks a few days later and went all the way up the canyons during a subsequent storm to take some photos.

Man that lens was dirty. But winter tires are awesome. Buy them!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I drove a 2002 Z/28 with all seasons for 6 winters in Virginia. Tires make all the difference.
At one time I had the Falken Ziex 512s (not even available anymore) in 255/50-16 on the factory 16x8 'snowflake' (named so because of their spoke pattern) wheels on my 2000 Z28 LS1.
Previous to this, and the first month I owned the car new, I had pure winter tires on these wheels, either Pirelli Snow 210s (I believe), or the Michelin Pilot Alpins in a 225/55-16 (both LONG gone models now).
But I got tired of burning these expensive winters up on the 95% DRY, but yes, still cold roads, so I regrettably tried those Falken all seasons, which also had a horrible tendency to develop large sidewall bubbles as well, from even the slightest pothole hit.

The BFG g Force Super Sport all seasons (the also now gone precursors to their current g Force COMP 2 all seasons) I had on it right before selling it were actually VERY impressive in light snow, and cold winter ambients, despite their 245/50-16 size. [:)] [thumb]

It was snowing at a good clip with about a half a foot already on the ground, and I was trying to get to my kid's varsity hockey game.
There was one steep hill (out in western north Jersey where the rink was) that the Z28 just COULD NOT get up with those (almost full tread depth) Falken all season tires on it, despite having an Eaton Posi clutch pack type limited slip in the diff, AND about 100+ lbs. of kitty litter right over the rear axle!!

The car just started going 90* to the curb sideways no matter what I did, or what gear the T56 was in.
I had to turn around and go back home, missing his game. [:(]

The Potenzas not even being that great, and a VERY dated, pure summer tire was WHY I ordered THIS car with the PS AS/3s on the Rados from the factory.
I figured they can get me through a few winters until I can afford a pure winter wheel/tire setup, and I was getting a pure summer aftermarket wider wheel/much stickier tire setup than factory no matter what, the first spring (last spring) I owned the car regardless. ;)

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Fortunately enough for me in our tough winters doen here in SoCal I find a way to get by most days with the the stock Summer tires. It's hard but we make due

borborpa

Premium Account
I purchased a set of 15" steelies with Michelin X-ice xi3 tires on it from Tirerack this past week, since we were supposed to be getting 1-3" of snow this weekend. Of course, we didn't get any snow, but from what I read before, in addition to this thread, I'm glad I did!

me32

1000 Post Club
Fortunately enough for me in our tough winters doen here in SoCal I find a way to get by most days with the the stock Summer tires. It's hard but we make due
Lol tough winters. Socal doesn't have much of a winter maybe a flash flood or so. The stock summer tires were fine for me in the winter. Unti they were down. But the M AS3 tire works actually really good in the rain.

New Mexico recently saw its first snow of the season and I had to make my daily commute (a 60 mile drive to Santa Fe) on the stock wheels. It was sketchy at highway speeds. I didn't think I'd need winter tires yet, but they're going on in the next couple of weeks.

I got a great deal on a set of slightly used Pirelli Carving Edge snow tires mounted on on some 15 inch Sport Edition SE-16 wheels. Hopefully they do the job. We don't get enough snow to warrant a dedicated snow tire, but coming from an WRX on All-Seasons (perfect set up for NM), I wouldn't mind the extra traction.

at 9:00am

at 10:00am

at 12:00pm

Favorite shot of the day

Winter wheels- Paid $300 for the set

DaveG99

It gets down in the 30's and 40's here at night and when the temps go below 45-50 degrees I can definitely notice a reduced amount of traction on my tires. But our days are normally above 50 during the day in the winter. Today its going to be 76.

I wont live somewhere where it snows often unless I got paid an ungodly amount of money to go there. F that.

Zissou

I really didn't think much about the "summer tires" that came on my new ST, but that light dusting of snow we just got in Atlanta almost forced me to abandon my car. I'm a former upstate NY resident with plenty of FWD snow driving experience, but with the stock tires the car simply cannot climb even the slightest incline if there is anything sticking to the road.

Looks like I'll be leaving the ST in the garage if there is even a hint of snow in the future. Maybe I will also consider a set of wheels with all season tires.
I run a set of steelies with all seasons in the winter. Because VA gets so little snow true winter tires weren't warranted, but the all seasons handle the temperature drops. I would recommend going this route. I've actually got my current set listed for sale as I'm picking up yet another set of wheels.
Summer tires are indeed only for summer (40 degrees +)

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
New Mexico recently saw its first snow of the season and I had to make my daily commute (a 60 mile drive to Santa Fe) on the stock wheels. It was sketchy at highway speeds. I didn't think I'd need winter tires yet, but they're going on in the next couple of weeks.
Were you on the summer Potenza RE050A's that day you took the pictures? If so, you were obviously able to use them in some snow. We don't get enough snow here for me to justify winter tires, so I just stay off the road if it snows.

I too reside in the DFW area; when I first purchased my FiST here a few years ago it was mid December and I was a little concerned about the colder ambient temperatures, considering procuring all weather tires. However, as stated, it's typically above 50 degrees in the winter around these parts so not much of a concern. That first winter I did drive (in town only) on the few days it was around 25 degrees (dry) and experienced no issues; of course, I didn't exceed 45 mph so I'm sure that was a factor. I moved to DFW from much colder Colorado (prior to my FiST purchase); I had (and still do) a Ford Ranger pickup truck w/ rear wheel drive that was a nightmare on icy Colorado roads. I wound up putting some bricks in the truck bed to add extra weight after getting stuck at an icy intersection only a block from my home. When I first moved to TX, we had an ice storm, but I wasn't paying any attention to the weather. When I backed my truck (sans bricks) out of my garage I thought my transmission had dropped as my engine revved, but no movement once on the driveway, lol.

If you actually get a "winter" in the climate you live in you should have winter tires. It's stupid not to put them on if you live in a place that see snow.

It's not a cost thing... considering I can get a set put on my car for ~$400 and that means my other set of tires lasts longer too.
All this means is that you have tires that last longer in the appropriate seasons. With modern tire compounds the tires grip the road with better when in the desired temperature range.
All season tires/summer tires get hard in the winter and wear down faster, as do winters get too soft and wear down quickly in the summer months.

Being cheap when it comes to what keeps you on the road is stupid. Tires are cheap compared to long term injuries from accidents.

Were you on the summer Potenza RE050A's that day you took the pictures? If so, you were obviously able to use them in some snow. We don't get enough snow here for me to justify winter tires, so I just stay off the road if it snows.
Yes sir. The Potenzas did ok. I would get squirrley at highway speeds so I slowed down to 60-65 on the highway and made it to work just fine. In the city, it would spin pretty bad on un-touched snow. I tried staying on the ruts made by other vehicles and that did the trick.
Mornings and evenings get cold here in NM around this time of year. So we see low to mid 30s before the sun comes up and after it goes down. It'll warm up to 50ish now but I can definitely noticed the difference in traction. Tires become hockey pucks.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Yes sir. The Potenzas did ok. I would get squirrley at highway speeds so I slowed down to 60-65 on the highway and made it to work just fine. In the city, it would spin pretty bad on un-touched snow. I tried staying on the ruts made by other vehicles and that did the trick.
Mornings and evenings get cold here in NM around this time of year. So we see low to mid 30s before the sun comes up and after it goes down. It'll warm up to 50ish now but I can definitely noticed the difference in traction. Tires become hockey pucks.
Thanks, that's good to know. It makes me feel like if I get caught out in an unexpected snow I'll have a decent chance of getting slowly home.