Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Keep ST and mod or RS Focus?

A7xogg

I can't give you a honest opinion because I haven't driven a RS yet, however do you like a great driving car or the hp pull of a car? I would say it's which one do you prefer. While there both great cars, the RS is gonna satisfy you in the straights more than the fiesta (unless turbo upgrade) while the fiesta will do it in the turns. Yes the RS might power out of corners faster but driving is about that feeling the car gives you. Though I could be wrong but I don't have any friends with an RS that would let me really test the car

Drive a hybrid fist and an RS. After the drives, add up the numbers and make the right decision for YOU. All of our opinions are just opinions. You should drive both and come to the answer yourself before dropping 4k+ on a hybrid and supporting mods or 15k+ on an RS

The RS is an amazing car! My last car was a 380whp focus st (efr6758) and my best friend has an RS with a fmic and tune. Unless driving the car at 10/10ths you could hardly tell the difference between the two exept for the wheelspin below 50mph lol. The rs is literally a little better handling FOST with a harsher ride imo. Just not worth the coin.

Zissou

Yes the head gasket issues was holding back for a long while. But since Ford stepped up and has now started resolving the problem I started considering this again. Now time will tell if the head gasket was the issues all this time. Insurance not a big issue, not even $20 a month more.

Would need to be reliable power. Not looking for a tire shredding beast. Was looking at the x37 just to wake it up a bit.

I'm honestly torn. Yes the RS issues are still a concern as others have stated. But it is a heck of a car. I would be keeping that car for the long term, with the issues they are having will it become a problem out of warranty? Who knows.
I'm debating this same thing right now, except my Fiesta is stage 3 all bolted on. Decided against turbo mods because it's just more work to revert back and if I want a faster car I should just buy a faster car. Plus traction is a big hurdle to cross and I'd like to have AWD (or maybe RWD).

The head gasket thing came down to them using the wrong parts (from an ecoboost mustang) right? Ford has a fix in (recall) if I'm not mistaken and this doesn't affect mid 2017 builds and up. I've been researching the subject quite a bit and have my eye on a 2018 with that LSD in the front.

Bluedrank

I wouldn't touch a used Focus RS for any amount of money.

1) The head gasket issue is no joke.
2) The previous owner hooned it, pretty much guaranteed.
3) While the car was running hard, it was likely running with the bad head gasket.
4) Even if Ford fixes it, I bet a lot of the repaired engines will not be as reliable as they should due to running so long with incorrect parts.

Although I haven't driven the RS, from reviews and my own personal assumptions, I feel like the RS will only really be fun if you're able to push it hard like Bhalls100 was saying. Driving anything less than 9-10/10ths and you're not able to get near the limits of the car, which is where most cars become fun. The car is tuned in every way to be more or less a rally car for the street. With a small, tossable car like the FiST, you can have way more fun on public roads or the track without worrying about gross negligence and reckless driving charges. Even coming from my previous FoST, which is a faster car, the FiST is just leaps and bounds more enjoyable.

Zissou

Although I haven't driven the RS, from reviews and my own personal assumptions, I feel like the RS will only really be fun if you're able to push it hard like Bhalls100 was saying. Driving anything less than 9-10/10ths and you're not able to get near the limits of the car, which is where most cars become fun. The car is tuned in every way to be more or less a rally car for the street. With a small, tossable car like the FiST, you can have way more fun on public roads or the track without worrying about gross negligence and reckless driving charges. Even coming from my previous FoST, which is a faster car, the FiST is just leaps and bounds more enjoyable.
And this is why I didn't buy the Focus RS the first go round. Still debating getting a FoRS so it's easier to get up the mountains to ski, but your statement is very true. Normal driving the Fiesta is just as fun, if not a little more fun.

Add a front diff, get a bigger turbo, and mod to your hearts content. The FiST is the gem here. If AWD is what you want, get an STI. The RS comes nowhere close.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have driven both and there is really no substitute for lightness. I have to say I agree with what Matt Farah said in one of his podcasts where this question was brought up. Under 70mph the fiesta is more fun, over 70 mph the Focus RS is more fun. So if it is your daily then you will probably enjoy the Fiesta more, if you want a track beast the Focus may be more the car for you.

This being said, I have the same debate you are having all the time. I want the AWD and power of the RS but in the body of my Fiesta. If they ever make an Fiesta RS I will be one of the first in line :).

I have driven both and there is really no substitute for lightness. I have to say I agree with what Matt Farah said in one of his podcasts where this question was brought up. Under 70mph the fiesta is more fun, over 70 mph the Focus RS is more fun. So if it is your daily then you will probably enjoy the Fiesta more, if you want a track beast the Focus may be more the car for you.

This being said, I have the same debate you are having all the time. I want the AWD and power of the RS but in the body of my Fiesta. If they ever make an Fiesta RS I will be one of the first in line :).
I agree with this. Having driven both (worked at a dealership and drove all options available extensively) I would say take the FiST with a hybrid turbo set up and strong motor mount. around town the FiST will be way more fun and will put more smiles for miles until you reach higher speeds in the RS. For the difference in payment you will have higher maintenance costs, tire costs, etc and the value just isn't there for me to pick the RS over a FiST. The 2.3 is great but with all of the gasket issues I would be worried about resale more than anything, regardless of free repairs people will fret about it. You could always end up dropping a stroked 2.0 in there somehow? Idk but I would take a FiST over RS any day of the week. I used to tell people to pick between the FiST and the FoRS IMO haha hope this helps

OP
N
Thread Starter #31

We don't have fun roads here in Florida and most of my driving is around town. I did bring it up to NC/TN to drive the dragons tail, what a blast the car was. I wouldn't have gone any faster being in another car. With the RS I like the idea of more power without having to throw a bunch of money into it. Its set out of the box. But the Fiesta is fairly cheap $$ to mod and get to 250whp on 93 pump gas and be reliable. X37, DP, tune IC.

I agree with this. Having driven both (worked at a dealership and drove all options available extensively) I would say take the FiST with a hybrid turbo set up and strong motor mount. around town the FiST will be way more fun and will put more smiles for miles until you reach higher speeds in the RS. For the difference in payment you will have higher maintenance costs, tire costs, etc and the value just isn't there for me to pick the RS over a FiST. The 2.3 is great but with all of the gasket issues I would be worried about resale more than anything, regardless of free repairs people will fret about it. You could always end up dropping a stroked 2.0 in there somehow? Idk but I would take a FiST over RS any day of the week. I used to tell people to pick between the FiST and the FoRS IMO haha hope this helps
Thank you for the honest view. I did choose the Fist over the Fost because of the fun factor and size. Plus I located one in kona blue with the Recaro seats and sunroof. The RS looks damn good though, i think that's my biggest hang up. I love the exterior look of the car in pretty much every color. Its not necessarily just the power. The combination of nitrous blue, aggressive looks, brembo brakes. Its visually appealing to look at. But the resale, questionable head gasket fix, has put me off a bit. Hence why i even started this thread in the first place.

I think for the short term i'll go with a tune on the Fist from stratified or dizzy and see how i get on. I called cobb and for a fee the accessport can be reprogrammed to work with the RS. So all won't be lost if i do go that route. I do already have a RMM, drop in filter, and a depo intercooler. Cheap easily reversible mods was the goal in case I had to scratch that RS itch.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Add a front diff, get a bigger turbo, and mod to your hearts content. The FiST is the gem here. If AWD is what you want, get an STI. The RS comes nowhere close.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
The FoRS is the ONLY choice in that genre for those of us who refuse buy a Nippon name-plated ride, for whatever reasons, (and I am NOT going to get into that now! [nono]).
This is especially true for me since Scoobie is now at least half owned by the Nippon Giant juggernaut <-(which I DESPISE!), as much as I really like the aesthetics and 'sum of the parts' of the performance Scoobies themselves (yup, even the sedan ones which most seem to hate as compared to the hatches).

I have been waiting for ONE of the domestic nameplate companies to build a smaller, somewhat light, AWD turbo rally style car (vs. ONLY trucks) for OUR market for almost 45 years now, or ever since I first became obsessed with the WRC. (The Mopar badged DiamondStars DO NOT COUNT!)

That, plus given the Blue Oval's rally heritage (which goes back MUCH further than ANY of the Nippon manufacturers'), would have me taking the Ford product over the foreign competition's EVERY TIME, NO MATTER WHAT! [wink] [driving] [raceflag]

Also DO NOT agree with you on the "nowhere close" thing, as the RS is at least the Scoobie's equal, if not it's better.

Tb8983

My wife traded her fist in on a focus rs and she has never looked back. I have a normal fiesta and i will be trading it in in a st at some point this year(tired of 5 gears and highway speeds.) She loves her RS and it is a blast to drive but I don't like the recaro's after about a 1-1.5 hours. They fit her perfect though. but that's about my only gripe about the car.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Fiesta ST for sure. $300 a month car payments, and a extra $35 a month for my insurance fairly cheap to maintain. RS $600 plus in car payments, whatever the insurance would be, tires are much more expensive, and burns a lot more gas. And I'll be honest when it comes to that type of money it would have to be something with a V8 in it, I'm addicted to the sound of a V8 Mustang with a good exhaust.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^WHAT kind of insurance do you have for $35.00/month, is it the absolute lowest required by NC law, combined with the highest deductibles possible (or don't you even have collision/comprehensive on it?)?

I understand everything is less down 'thar', but I am almost 63, with a PERFECT record for 15+ years, decent credit score, in a low risk area, and I pay ~$103.00/month, but for 100K/300K liability, 100K/300K underinsured, and uninsured, 10K each person medical, and $250.00 deductible on both collision and comprehensive.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
^^^WHAT kind of insurance do you have for $35.00/month, is it the absolute lowest required by NC law, combined with the highest deductibles possible (or don't you even have collision/comprehensive on it?)?

I understand everything is less down 'thar', but I am almost 63, with a PERFECT record for 15+ years, decent credit score, in a low risk area, and I pay ~$103.00/month, but for 100K/300K liability, 100K/300K underinsured, and uninsured, 10K each person medical, and $250.00 deductible on both collision and comprehensive.
It was an extra $35 a month on top of my two other cars with my wife, as in it only added $35 a month to my bill. We have Geico full coverage and are deductibles are on the low side. We both have 800 plus credit scores, and spotless driving records.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

My vote is to keep the FiST, this coming from a previous monster EVOX owner. It's all about fun factor for me though. I also have a modified MK7 GTI pushing 345 WHP, and 387 WTQ.

Both the EVO and GTI were/is fast as hell, but neither can compare to the way the FiST feels driving wise, the tossibility, and analog control it allows. U say now, that if u got the RS, you wouldn't have to modify it, but believe me, the mod bug will come back, and u will be spending more money modding the RS on top of the much higher car payments.

The only reason I would get the RS, is if I needed AWD due to location of where I lived. Having said all that, the RS is an awesome car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Having owned the FiST for 2.5 years and the RS now for about 2 months, I can say I have absolutely no regrets about trading the FiST in for the RS. I loved the FiST and it was a great little car, but the RS is on a whole other level. If you can afford it without stretching your wallet too much, then I don't think you will regret it. You might want to double check on your insurance though, I was quoted at an extra ~$20/month even when I told them it was an RS and then found out when I gave them the VIN it was much more than that (nothing crazy though, maybe closer to an extra ~40/month). The reason being is they quote you at the base model, so they basically just quoted you at what a regular Focus would be.

The ride is not harsher, that was one of my concerns but the RS (in normal and sport mode) takes bumps more smoothly than the ST did. It's not worlds better in terms of ride quality, but it is slightly better. I also have to disagree with the comments in here that the FoRS is only better when you are pushing it and the FiST is more fun at lower speeds and around corners.

In regular driving just getting from point A to point B the RS is unquestionably better, it has nicer interior, better technology (going from MFT to Sync 3), a smoother ride and it's a little more spacious. It still feels like a small car which I love and even when I'm not getting on it, it still makes me feel great and puts a smile on my face. The seats and steering wheel along with the gauge layout and positioning of the shifter just makes the car feel much more race-oriented than the ST.

You absolutely do not need to be pushing the car to 9/10ths to have fun in it. It is pretty easy to kick the back end around on that car and I've done it around a bend at ~30mph just putting my foot 4/5 into the throttle. Yes, you definitely have to be more careful driving the RS than you do the FiST, but at the same time it's not a Ferrari where you can never push it to the limits on the street. Someone made a comment about the FiST being better/more fun around corners and that is not true. Where the RS really shines is handling... it holds a 1.04 lateral G where the ST had a .92 I believe (from Car and Driver). I only kicked the back end out of my ST once on the street in the 2.5 years I owned it and I have done it twice now in two months in the RS. The headgasket issue is a serious one and I read through quite a lot of pages on the RS forum before I just made a decision to get a 2018.

Ultimately only you can answer this question and I am just sharing my experience. I loved the ST and wish I could have had both cars but I have no regrets with the RS, it is a wonderful machine.