Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Well...what a slap in the Face!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks Again Ford for Screwing the pooch for us on this side of the pond. You'd think that stateside would get the better of the products being it originated here....But Nooooo....let's bend over the Americans where the car was born and insert an object.

Thanks again Ford!

P.s. Upper management are pure cock wombles!

Here's the God dam link...

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/heres-what-we-learned-riding-new-ford-fiesta-st

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Man I didn't realize there were so many improvements overseas on the 2018! I admit I was turned off a bit before with a 3 cyl engine but after reading that, I'm wishing the redesign came here. Crazy they added an LSD, no lift shift, launch control, different exhaust settings, etc... on our little Fiesta ST economy car.

I like the new instrument panel and the rear styling because it got rid of the dirt trapping honeycomb valance panel.
The quaife differential should have been part of a club sport package when it launched here. I would have happily paid $1,500 or so for that item.
But the 3 cylinder engine does not excite me in the least. Dont feel too sore about the newest Fist not coming over Typhoon, that example the TG guys drove might have been tweaked a bit to provide maximum entertainment. Ford has a history of doing that.

I like the new instrument panel and the rear styling because it got rid of the dirt trapping honeycomb valance panel.
The quaife differential should have been part of a club sport package when it launched here. I would have happily paid $1,500 or so for that item.
But the 3 cylinder engine does not excite me in the least. Dont feel too sore about the newest Fist not coming over Typhoon, that example the TG guys drove might have been tweaked a bit to provide maximum entertainment. Ford has a history of doing that.
I do wonder how a 1.5L 3 banger would pick up power with bolt-ons/tune compared to our 1.6L 4 cyl. It's not much difference in displacement so it would be interesting to see how they differ.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ask any car dealer. Americans don't want manuals. We want automatics in our SUVs and pickups. Well, most of us.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Maybe it'll come here in a couple years, which would give the new 3-cylinder time to demonstrate it's reliability (or lack therof.) I don't like to get any car the first year it comes out, especially one with a somewhat radical technology like a high-performance 3-cylinder engine. I like the instrument panel, upgraded stereo and variable shocks, and would sure rather have this than nothing in a few years.
Why don't we all contact Ford and tell them we want it? They may not listen but it couldn't hurt, and gas can't stay this cheap forever, which might push them back toward smaller cars.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Nothing really new. Ford EU is back to getting the very best cars and Ford NA is back to building trucks and SUV's. This started to happen under Fields and accelerated under Hackett. There was a rumor last week from one of the big news sites saying Ford may spin off their European brand because it isn't as profitable as Hackett would like. While nothing official has been said and I have tried to fish around at events for the last two years on the subject, the general feeling is that the Fiesta is dead in the US after this year. No chance of us getting the updated version, we instead get the EcoSport. The Focus goes to China to make room for other products (not anything worth buying) and there is reason to believe only Europe will get a ST model. If you want an affordable, fun to drive, enjoyable small car, then Ford is not your mobility company. They have you covered if you want a truck, SUV, CUV, or autonomous ride hailing taxi. One Ford is dead.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
To the naysayers on the 3 cylinder you should do some more reading about it. It has nearly the same displacement being only 1/10 of liter off our current engines. Fact is Ford UK ( engine built in England chassis Germany) did a an amazing job sorting out thst little monster of an engine . Oh and yes a 3 will warble like a 6 and sound pretty ballsy compares to a turbocharged 4. Having owned turbocharged 6 cylinder cars I do miss that sound .
Though ya Ford short changed us but Ford is not completely at fault here.While they did not promote the FiST or Fiesta truth be told Americans spoke with their wallet buying shit tons of Ford SUV's and Trucks. Could Ford afforded to being the car here? Not without making a full commitment to manufacutring here in Mexico which they did not want to do due to lackluster sales.
Also the current new euro ST is only being manufactured in Germany. The cost to bring it over like the RS would have pushed the price up to 30k startig instead of 20k starting MSRP.

Ya it sucks, ya the direction Ford NA is going sucks. Welcome to my world where every car company that I have been into changes direction, runs away from their sporting past and races face into EV's and autonomy. Lol

Last edited:

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Yeah, the future of the car company sucks. Tesla aimed to disrupt, and they did exactly that. Everybody is rushing towards a market that currently makes up 1% of sales.

I am sure that everyone who bad mouths the 3 cylinder has never driven one, let alone the one in the new EU ST. My brother's SFE 1.0L with a manual is an awesome car. The engine sounds way better than my ST 1.6L. It is also far better in terms of performance than the normally aspirated 1.6L. I am 100% sure the 3 cylinder in the new EU ST will be far more amazing than we will ever know.

I waited quite a awhile before buying my 17, holding out hope that we would get the new design. I was in the minority but I actually wanted the 3 cylinder, and I had read about the driving modes and launch control...

Such a shame.

Any bolt on parts to improve the performance of a 3 cylinder engine will have to be capable of near miracles to make a noticeable AND durable upgrade in output. That 1.5 must be working at full boil(and i mean that quite literally) to nearly match the 1.6 output.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Any bolt on parts to improve the performance of a 3 cylinder engine will have to be capable of near miracles to make a noticeable AND durable upgrade in output. That 1.5 must be working at full boil(and i mean that quite literally) to nearly match the 1.6 output.
Do you have an engineering background to make such a statement? Just wondering because thats a pretty bold statement you make. Like has been stated its still a 1.5 liter in displacement.

They have proved it numerous times in F1 that cylinder count does not equate whether one can extract HP and TQ from an engine.
Displacement does help though and in that sense this engine is only 1/10 of liter different from our current fours.

If you can get 300hp out of our 1.6 with bolt ons ie. Turbo upgrade, then there is no reason why one can't get those numbers out of that 3. Alll you need is proper design and compenents. I.E. Cylinder head that flows, strong enough pistons and crank.

Ford Europe already had experience with 3 cylinder design with the 1 liter previous to this. They were pulling over 123hp with a fricken 1 liter. Lol They have already proven they can design engines far in excess of 1hp per 100 cc. In fact with bolt ons our 4's are capable of almost 2hp per 100cc

You seriously need to look at Kawasaki triples ( motorcycle engines) to see just what can be done with 3 cylinder engines.

You may not realize but that 3 is already turning out more HP and TQ in current stock form than our stock 4's.[rockon]

Yup. I'm fully aware of the advances that have been made. But, torque won't be easily replaced by boost. Gearing might help a bit. Getting rid of weight is good to help things too. The 18 Fiesta is not significantly lighter if any lighter than what we have now.
I'm not hating on it. Not devastated either. The market for our cars was tiny. I think it would be almost nonexistent for a performance fiesta with one less cylinder than what didn't sell all that well before.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Only thing I'm jealous of is the interior styling/LSD/gauges. But exterior looks too much like a Mazda. I'll take the outgoing exterior styling all day over the new one.

US is more of a SUV/Crossover country, not a small hot hatch country. Europe has more of a need of small cars so thats why the sales are alot better over seas. Hence why Europe tends to get the good hot hatches.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Only thing I'm jealous of is the interior styling/LSD/gauges. But exterior looks too much like a Mazda. I'll take the outgoing exterior styling all day over the new one.

US is more of a SUV/Crossover country, not a small hot hatch country. Europe has more of a need of small cars so thats why the sales are alot better over seas. Hence why Europe tends to get the good hot hatches.
This is true. I was having this exact discussion with the sales manager where I have ordered my Orange Spice 2018( 2017 with a backup camara) .
The one car we could cite that has sold decently here that is small but has a big interior was the Honda Fit. Honda got it right with that car as they managed to make it fun to drive but also provide adult sized rear seat room and cargo room.
This is one of the mistakes that Ford made with the Fiesta was its interior rear seat room and cargo size are tiny.

Now fact is small cars are Honda's forte so they tend to have always been known for that market and they have catered to it because of that only recently upsizeing a lot of the cars and building SUV's for Americans.

Fact is no matter how any of you may want to hear this Ford U.S. has never had a solid rep for selling good small cars. Ya you can look at the briefly imported and sold here Fiesta MKI . Hell I owned two. Lol
As well as previous generations of Focus, for the most part people just never looked at Ford for small cars stateside.

That is Ford's fault going all the way back to the 1970's. While the Japanese car companies were building there reps on great small cars, the Americans were turning out trash. Still trying to sell bogged down anemicly powered ( due to mandated emissions slapped on engines not designed for it) regular to large sized cars.

The Datsun/Nissans, Toyota's, Honda's, Mazda's and Suburu's took over. Besides a few bright moments in the late 90's it was not until the early to mid oughts that companies like Ford started to get their shit together and building good and competitive vehicles.
It interestingly enough was also around the time the Japaense started buolding bigger trucks and SUV's specifically with Americans in mind. Gas got cheap and Americans back slid into bigger cars.
Chrysler has gone to town with this.

So to sum it up you have Ford USA not being known as being a great small car builder. Not bothering advertising the fact they can be and then screwing up on interior sizing and you have the situation as it sits now.
If Mullaly had stayed it might have been different, but everything the man stood for went out the door with him the minute he left.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
This is true. I was having this exact discussion with the sales manager where I have ordered my Orange Spice 2018( 2017 with a backup camara) .
The one car we could cite that has sold decently here that is small but has a big interior was the Honda Fit. Honda got it right with that car as they managed to make it fun to drive but also provide adult sized rear seat room and cargo room.
This is one of the mistakes that Ford made with the Fiesta was its interior rear seat room and cargo size are tiny.

Now fact is small cars are Honda's forte so they tend to have always been known for that market and they have catered to it because of that only recently upsizeing a lot of the cars and building SUV's for Americans.

Fact is no matter how any of you may want to hear this Ford U.S. has never had a solid rep for selling good small cars. Ya you can look at the briefly imported and sold here MKI . Hell I owned two. Lol
As well as previous generations of Focus, for the most part people just never looked at Ford for small cars stateside.

That is Ford's fault going all the way back to the 1970's. While the Japanese car companies were building there reps on great small cars, the Americans were turning out trash. Still trying to sell bogged down anemicly powered ( due to mandated emissions slapped on engines not designed for it) regular to large sized cars.

The Datsun/Nissans, Toyota's, Honda's, Mazda's and Suburu's took over. Besides a few bright moments in the late 90's it was not until the early to mid oughts that companies like Ford started to get their shit together and building good and competitive vehicles.
It interestingly enough was also around the time the Japaense started buolding bigger trucks and SUV's specifically with Americans in mind. Gas got cheap and Americans back slid into bigger cars.
Chrysler has gone to town with this.

So to sum it up you have Ford USA not being known as being a great small car builder. Not bothering advertising the fact they can be and then screwing up on interior sizing and you have the situation as it sits now.
If Mullaly had stayed it might have been different, but everything the man stood for went out the door with him the minute he left.
Yeah. I would say Ford is more well known for their trucks. We should just be happy that the Focus ST-RS/Fiesta ST even got to have its chance to sell in the good ol USA. I wouldn't say Ford's small cars are necessarily 'bad,' just bad for the US market.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah. I would say Ford is more well known for their trucks. We should just be happy that the Focus ST-RS/Fiesta ST even got to have its chance to sell in the good ol USA. I wouldn't say Ford's small cars are necessarily 'bad,' just bad for the US market.
Oh i agree with you 100% in current times ( past 10 years) . I would not own a 2012 Focus and have on order an Orange Spice FiST if that were so. Theynjust managed to screw up the two things that might have made a difference. Lol Rear seat area room and cargo space and advertising.

HBEcoBeaST

What is the cost? Cost vs fun factor is the FiSTs winning attribute. Specs are great but Brits (and Europe) pay WAY more for cars than us. I really like the interior but I feel like this is closer to a GTI than our gen FiSTs. I'm sure it's a great car but is it as raw and fun as ours?

I could care less how many cylinders it has as long as performance and upgrades rival ours. I'm not a fan of 4 cylinder sounds (some Subarus and Porsche 918s exempt) so I don't plan on enjoying this 3 cylinder's noise either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk