Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flowmaster Delta Boost module - 4 psi boost gain for $239

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I know, I know, yet another inline boost module but for those of us who don't want to drop $500 on an AP when we don't plan on any other performance mods, AND leaves no trace of ECU flashes for warranty purposes, it seems like a legit way to add a little boost... It's piggyback device and uses a smartphone app to control and you get Valet, Stock, Sport (3psi boost) and Max (4psi boost) with a built in boost gauge. YouTube video shows it seems to work well. Claims "Provides performance gains up to 18hp and 25 ft/lbs of torque for Fiesta STs."

Any REAL experience with this device? I'm not looking for people who never had one to say "all those things suck" unless you can make a detailed argument on why this isn't a decent option, for those of us who just want a little boost in power and leaves no ECU flashing traces during warranty period.

Thanks!

Last edited:

XanRules

It appears to run exclusively by piggybacking off the boost sensor and just cranking up the boost, meaning it won't make any corrections for temperature, AFR, or any of the other things an accessport or protune would take into account for the sake of engine health.

I'd stay away.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
It appears to run exclusively by piggybacking off the boost sensor and just cranking up the boost, meaning it won't make any corrections for temperature, AFR, or any of the other things an accessport or protune would take into account for the sake of engine health.

I'd stay away.
Interesting that a company like Flowmaster would put their name on it then... I see what you mean, yes piggyback is the term I was looking for... But, ya, doesn't sound good if it just literally cranks up the boost at the default readings it thinks it should be for that stock non-boosted amount. I didn't want much but at least safe so I'm thinking an AP through Mountune for it's better than Cobb only OTS tunes.

I know, I know, yet another inline boost module but for those of us who don't want to drop $500 on an AP when we don't plan on any other performance mods, it seems like a legit way to add a little boost... It runs inline and uses a smartphone app to control and you get Valet, Stock, Sport (3psi boost) and Max (4psi boost). And has a built in boost gauge. YouTube video shows it seems to work well. Claims "Provides performance gains up to 18hp and 25 ft/lbs of torque for Fiesta STs."

Any REAL experience with this device? I'm not looking for people who never had one to say "all those things suck" unless you can make a detailed argument on why this isn't a decent option, if not the best, of the inline boost module products for those of us who just want a little boost in power. I'm definitely open minded to alternatives.

Thanks!

Edit: Oh, the only catch is that it's only for the '17+ FiST.
Get it, test it, report back.

Either it works and you saved $250 or it blows your engine on a cold day, costing you thousands...
But hey... what does Cobb and these other tuners know... they probably enjoy wasting their time on R&D on the accessport.

Use your brain... FFS... just read the post by Xan...

I agree with XanRules. Reminds me of a Split Second Turbo Tuner. Its just offsetting the boost reference signal to the ECU. Stuff like that is obsolete, about 10 years out of date. Tuning with devices like the AP has evolved significantly since then and the extra $200 is cheap insurance for the expanded functionality that it provides.

Cheap to buy usually means expensive in the future when something breaks! Shoot, I don't even like OTS tunes for Accessports no matter how close they seem to match my mod list.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Get it, test it, report back.

Either it works and you saved $250 or it blows your engine on a cold day, costing you thousands...
But hey... what does Cobb and these other tuners know... they probably enjoy wasting their time on R&D on the accessport.

Use your brain... FFS... just read the post by Xan...
So hey, what does Flowmaster have to lose by blowing everyone's engine? They make them for a lot of turbo cars, MY BRAIN tells me that they aren't claiming a whole lot of major gains, so why couldn't a simple device keep things in the safe range?

And next time just use YOUR brain and just click along to something else if you are just going to be a dick, especially when I specifically mentioned what I was looking for, "FFS"

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Cheap to buy usually means expensive in the future when something breaks! Shoot, I don't even like OTS tunes for Accessports no matter how close they seem to match my mod list.
Getting the most from your mods and breaking something are 2 different things...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I agree with XanRules. Reminds me of a Split Second Turbo Tuner. Its just offsetting the boost reference signal to the ECU. Stuff like that is obsolete, about 10 years out of date. Tuning with devices like the AP has evolved significantly since then and the extra $200 is cheap insurance for the expanded functionality that it provides.
OK, lets say I don't need the expanded functionality, the settings it comes with are plenty and I don't plan to mod further. After doing research, I think anything beyond a basic tune is a complete waste unless you upgrade the turbo... So that said, wouldn't the rest of the ECU automatically adjust for that boost that's requested or is it literally not seeing that added boost at all and will run lean or something?

So hey, what does Flowmaster have to lose by blowing everyone's engine? They make them for a lot of turbo cars, MY BRAIN tells me that they aren't claiming a whole lot of major gains, so why couldn't a simple device keep things in the safe range?

And next time just use YOUR brain and just click along to something else if you are just going to be a dick, especially when I specifically mentioned what I was looking for, "FFS"
Flowmaster doesn't worry about the health of your engine long term... I am being a dick because you fail to see the successes of other's using a superior tuning option.

Don't confuse my tone for being a dick, I am telling you like it is and not spoon feeding you information.
I and all the experienced tuner car owners know more than you just from reading your post.

Lose the ego and you'll learn a lot.

You also want the ability to monitor the tune... which that does not.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11

I'd stay away.
Wait, so the ECU doesn't see the added boost at all? It sounds like to me that yes, it tricks it into more boost but at the same time the ECU knows how to keep the parameters safe for that new boost amount, right? It also leaves not even a TRACE that the ECU has been flashed, which can seen using an AP.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Flowmaster doesn't worry about the health of your engine long term... I am being a dick because you fail to see the successes of other's using a superior tuning option.

Don't confuse my tone for being a dick, I am telling you like it is and not spoon feeding you information.
I and all the experienced tuner car owners know more than you just from reading your post.

Lose the ego and you'll learn a lot.

You also want the ability to monitor the tune... which that does not.
Lose the ego? WTF are you talking about? You were the one with the ego in YOUR reply, a-hole... I'm not going to converse with someone that's a delusional narcissist, thanks anyway. There are plenty of other people replying without being a dick.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Here’s an argument:

A protune could make several adjustments within 20 parameters just to run 4 more psi safely.

So, if you think a little module can do the same job, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Here’s an argument:

A protune could make several adjustments within 20 parameters just to run 4 more psi safely.

So, if you think a little module can do the same job, go for it.
This is very true! I was just thinking that the stock ECU would be able to keep things safe at only a 4 psi boost, but you're absolutely right... But the counter argument is that they can tell your ECU has been flashed at some point even if you reset to default with an AP, with this it doesn't leave any trace at all... Maybe good for a "during warranty period" device?

XanRules

This is very true! I was just thinking that the stock ECU would be able to keep things safe at only a 4 psi boost, but you're absolutely right... But the counter argument is that they can tell your ECU has been flashed at some point even if you reset to default with an AP, with this it doesn't leave any trace at all... Maybe good for a "during warranty period" device?
You are far more likely to use that warranty if you crank boost up by 4psi without making any additional corrections. It's simply not worth the risk to save $200 or so.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
You are far more likely to use that warranty if you crank boost up by 4psi without making any additional corrections. It's simply not worth the risk to save $200 or so.
Very good point, it just is hard to believe that the stock ECU couldn't adjust itself... especially on a product from a top name company like that... I do have Torque Pro as well, maybe I can try it and check my AFR's compared to stock...

Off-topic: Are you the guy who's wife just got a FoST and you posted the pic on Reddit?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
To refute... If you experience a problem due to this module and have to take it to the dealer, it will have thrown a code. The technicians can view “freeze frame” data, which are PID data associated with a code. In other words, if it runs lean, and pops a ringland, they’ll see that the car was making much more boost than it should. Also of note, not all codes trigger a CEL. These are pending faults: a fault exists, but the ECU is basically waiting for it to clear or keep occurring before displaying a CEL.

So, either way it goes, a modification is a modification. They can find out if they want to dig.

This was posted not to long ago and is a good resource. https://ford.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lose the ego? WTF are you talking about? You were the one with the ego in YOUR reply, a-hole... I'm not going to converse with someone that's a delusional narcissist, thanks anyway. There are plenty of other people replying without being a dick.
Sorry for hurting your feelings by being an asshole but you need the ability to tune the car and adding boost doesn't "tune" a car.

I googled the stupid flow master module and found on other forums they recommend tuning the car afterwards, which leads back to the Cobb AP.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Sorry for hurting your feelings by being an asshole but you need the ability to tune the car and adding boost doesn't "tune" a car.

I googled the stupid flow master module and found on other forums they recommend tuning the car afterwards, which leads back to the Cobb AP.
They did say it could be "stacked" with other tunes in their SEMA intro video but the Mountune listing says not to.... LOL, ya, it just seems kind of strange for such a well-known and reputable company to be offering something like that if that 4 psi was not safe but I'm starting to see why you should just go straight for an AP, even for basic stage 1 tuning... Thanks for the good reply!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
To refute... If you experience a problem due to this module and have to take it to the dealer, it will have thrown a code. The technicians can view “freeze frame” data, which are PID data associated with a code. In other words, if it runs lean, and pops a ringland, they’ll see that the car was making much more boost than it should. Also of note, not all codes trigger a CEL. These are pending faults: a fault exists, but the ECU is basically waiting for it to clear or keep occurring before displaying a CEL.

So, either way it goes, a modification is a modification. They can find out if they want to dig.

This was posted not to long ago and is a good resource. https://ford.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf
This is great info, and ya, reading about ringland meltdown, well, that's not good! LOL. But, still all codes can be cleared with an ECU reset while the ECU flash counter can't be, is this right? EDIT: Never mind, there are permanent DTC's and that PDF pretty much explains how even intake, exhaust and catch cans apparently "overspeed" your turbo... geezus.

Anyway, I appreciate all the input, I'm not going to mess around and just get an AP from Mountune for their "decent, better than Cobb" OTS tunes.