Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Change

I ended up putting in ~1.6L when I did mine and I used a small Allen Wrench. I made sure the fluid was below the fill hole and by the time it settles it will probably end up about 3/4" to 1". Unless you are under the exact conditions Ford was when they defined the specification you will be approximately 1" by following their recommendation. Slight differences in how the trans sits in relationship to the motor to the suspension can cause variation. The biggest issue will be with overfill and much less than 1" underfill. Don't over think this!!!

BTW:
In general, I would not trust the remove / measure method as this puts trust in the guy who installed the fluid in the first place. Measuring is always going to be the best method.

I measure the fluid with a "dip stick" - just a piece of string trimmer line bent at 90 degrees with a little over an inch I put in there - or use a bent wire.

On another note, do the various fluids discussed have any bearing on seal leaks getting better/worse? I have one seeping slightly. I figured thicker would help, but I also remember way back to the very early days of synthetic motor oils and people having seal leaks when they alternated with dino oils.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I ended up putting in ~1.6L when I did mine and I used a small Allen Wrench. I made sure the fluid was below the fill hole and by the time it settles it will probably end up about 3/4" to 1". Unless you are under the exact conditions Ford was when they defined the specification you will be approximately 1" by following their recommendation. Slight differences in how the trans sits in relationship to the motor to the suspension can cause variation. The biggest issue will be with overfill and much less than 1" underfill. Don't over think this!!!

BTW:
In general, I would not trust the remove / measure method as this puts trust in the guy who installed the fluid in the first place. Measuring is always going to be the best method.
True that!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

BTW:
So the machines that put in the Fluid in England @ Getrag where the Trans is manufactured don't put the correct amount in is what your saying? Id have to say quality control and the engineers dictate what it needs and what it gets. So measuring what a machine put in is more accurate unless its a 2nd hand car and not the original owner. What is the margin of error with machine again? almost Nil and if you understand how these assembly lines are ran its all preset automated injection of fluid most of the time and the human just hits a button or runs a program.[rockon]

So the machines that put in the Fluid in England @ Getrag where the Trans is manufactured don't put the correct amount in is what your saying? Id have to say quality control and the engineers dictate what it needs and what it gets. So measuring what a machine put in is more accurate unless its a 2nd hand car and not the original owner. What is the margin of error with machine again? almost Nil and if you understand how these assembly lines are ran its all preset automated injection of fluid most of the time and the human just hits a button or runs a program.[rockon]
I had a feeling there would be some push back from my post that is why I said "In general". I do stand by my comment, though. Machine or human, you should only trust what you can measure at the actual component. That is why the literature states to measure it at the component (fill hole). Even doing it there will give some variation as I previously stated.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had a feeling there would be some push back from my post that is why I said "In general". I do stand by my comment, though. Machine or human, you should only trust what you can measure at the actual component. That is why the literature states to measure it at the component (fill hole). Even doing it there will give some variation as I previously stated.
I'll tell ya what man...I just got some Ravenol coming...I'll drain it out and my trans was replaced 10k ago....I'll let you know how much comes out plus or minus residual.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
On another note, do the various fluids discussed have any bearing on seal leaks getting better/worse? I have one seeping slightly. I figured thicker would help, but I also remember way back to the very early days of synthetic motor oils and people having seal leaks when they alternated with dino oils.
I believe that all of the seals used in these B6 boxes are totally 'base stock type proof'.
The factory fill is the Motorcraft synthetic BLEND DCT fluid, and they 'allow for' use of the FULL SYNTHETIC Motorcraft DCT after that is changed out, proving one can switch back and forth between the different base stocks with no ill effects.

The (mostly organic type) seals which was still used in engines when synthetics FIRST hit the market were very susceptible to swelling/shrinking and/or deterioration from the various bases stocks used in the synthetics of that time, and switching between the mineral and synthetic based motor oils.
NOT today. ;)

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Have to disagree. Let me ask something, how is your Sync 3 update coming along? Mine is still at zero on the update, a great example of the failure of technology. I retired from teaching digital automation system maintenance/ SCADA Systems......the robots break, the programmers screw up, the maintenance guys screw up repairs and calibrations. I will trust my own measurements. Don't need much time/technology to measure 1 inch down a hole with a pipe cleaner. How many have died with Tesla technology driving for them? Two so far? You go ahead and trust a machine, I'll trust my eyes. I have made a living for 40 years with the simple fact that electronics will fail and people have to be trained to repair them. [wrenchin]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I measure the fluid with a "dip stick" - just a piece of string trimmer line bent at 90 degrees with a little over an inch I put in there - or use a bent wire.

The seals in all modern day engines are a synthetic and compatible with full or semi synthetic oils...you are correct though about the old vehicles using cork....fibrous paper and other non synthetic gaskets leaking oil. Nowadays its few and far between seeing a vehicle having an issue with synthetic fluids of any kind.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Have to disagree. Let me ask something, how is your Sync 3 update coming along? Mine is still at zero on the update, a great example of the failure of technology. I retired from teaching digital automation system maintenance/ SCADA Systems......the robots break, the programmers screw up, the maintenance guys screw up repairs and calibrations. I will trust my own measurements. Don't need much time/technology to measure 1 inch down a hole with a pipe cleaner. How many have died with Tesla technology driving for them? Two so far? You go ahead and trust a machine, I'll trust my eyes. I have made a living for 40 years with the simple fact that electronics will fail and people have to be trained to repair them. [wrenchin]

Do you know what Skynet is? [thumb]

OP
Sprinkle_Star
Thread Starter #52
No. For some reason, the oil is supposed to be an inch below the fill hole. But how do you measure that? The easiest thing would be to just measure what comes out and put the same back in, as many have said.
That's a prudent technique; I do that when changing the engine oil as well.

OP
Sprinkle_Star
Thread Starter #53
I literally clapped after reading this eloquent response. Bravo!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Who is more efficient in the end? Robot or man? People have not always repaired the robots either.....Robots fix people Vice versa and robots fix other robots in certain situations....Any who gold jacket green jacket who gives a sh*t. Check out my thread sometime on Ravenol 75w80..how about them apples? But I do agree some things do fail as others are well built and never need to be fixed just periodic maintenance. In the end ..."Its always about the Dollars" Joe Pesci once said.....Just remember Everyday is a holiday and every meal is a feast!

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Who is more efficient in the end? Robot or man? People have not always repaired the robots either.....Robots fix people Vice versa and robots fix other robots in certain situations....Any who gold jacket green jacket who gives a sh*t. Check out my thread sometime on Ravenol 75w80..how about them apples? But I do agree some things do fail as others are well built and never need to be fixed just periodic maintenance. In the end ..."Its always about the Dollars" Joe Pesci once said.....Just remember Everyday is a holiday and every meal is a feast!
I'm now in the process of getting out my Tig and redoing my chassis welds. I don't trust no dang robot. Except the one that hung with Will Robinson. He seemed likable.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't trust no dang robot. Except the one that hung with Will Robinson. He seemed likable.
But wasn't he the very same one who was bad in "The Forbidden Planet", just with a different 'personality'? [dunno] LOL

BTW; you may know this already, but in rally/race unibody prep, seam/'stitch' welding is S.O.P. ;)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=2319]jmrtsus[/MENTION] is right, it doesn't take a genius to follow the Service Manual instruction.
If you have the ability to bend a large paper clip, you have the ability to create a dispstick for measuring ~1" below the fill hole.
To reach this, seems to require significantly (20 ~ 27%) more than the ~1.6 liters than the factory put in.
Because it has been somewhat intermittent, and have not been putting on any miles lately, I'll need a few months to confirm whether this impacts the clickity clackity transaxle noises.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
But wasn't he the very same one who was bad in "The Forbidden Planet", just with a different 'personality'? [dunno] LOL

BTW; you may know this already, but in rally/race unibody prep, seam/'stitch' welding is S.O.P. ;)
Speaking of Rallye , you see the Lancia Stradale on Leno ?😰