Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Intake Valve Carbon build up ?

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm planning on cleaning the build up in my car. I bought it used at 41k miles from the dealer. It's CPO for what it's worth, but I'd still like to clean it just in case.

Do you think this is a worry for me?

You should be fine. There are lots of people on here with high-mileage that haven't had it done to my knowledge. Mine just hit 86K miles and haven't noticed any change. With that being said, I am curious as to the condition of the valves after so long. I just got all the equipment to walnut blast the valves myself. I just need to find time to do it now.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hey, I did some extra googling and it looks like stratified sells auxiliary fuel injectors that help reduce the buildup.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes, their 4 PORT auxiliary system is what will REALLY help this symptom of DI out (besides the aftermarket hybrid/big turbo power/tuning benefits/necessity), as the throttle body SINGLE injector system has VERY uneven distribution to the intake valves, and not enough force to REALLY keep them gunk-free. ;)

That's spensive! Still cheaper than having someone pull the head and clean off the valves.

This is kind of a silly question but would putting steam into the intake track help at all? Like, really get in there with a dense steam or is this just pipe dream?

That's spensive! Still cheaper than having someone pull the head and clean off the valves.

This is kind of a silly question but would putting steam into the intake track help at all? Like, really get in there with a dense steam or is this just pipe dream?
This will be a pain in the ass. But, for BMW's people will walnut blast their intake valves. I found a link for the Focus.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...alnut-blasting-intake-valves.html#post2061314

But, anywho, you'll need an abrasive blaster, an air compressor, and walnut shells:

https://www.amazon.com/Harbor-Freig...ster&dpID=314jbZ-7o-L&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Sand-Blaster...=abrasive+blaster&refinements=p_72:1248909011

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2-hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-69667.html

The tool's aren't too expensive, but it's getting to the intake valves that look like a pain! I don't fully know my way around an engine yet, but I'm just assuming it's a bitch.

The tool's aren't too expensive, but it's getting to the intake valves that look like a pain! I don't fully know my way around an engine yet, but I'm just assuming it's a bitch.
The required disassembly to get to the valves alone is a killer. I just recently watched a YouTube video of a guy that blasted the valves without removing the head on a VW.
His process kind of went like this, pull the intake runner, stuff the intake ports with rag, hand crank the engine so valves are closed, blast and shopvac at the same time to pull the walnut shells out, repeat all steps as needed.

Without looking I don't know if our intake ports are in the front like on the VW this guy was working on, if they aren't that's kind of going to suck.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The required disassembly to get to the valves alone is a killer. I just recently watched a YouTube video of a guy that blasted the valves without removing the head on a VW.
His process kind of went like this, pull the intake runner, stuff the intake ports with rag, hand crank the engine so valves are closed, blast and shopvac at the same time to pull the walnut shells out, repeat all steps as needed.

Without looking I don't know if our intake ports are in the front like on the VW this guy was working on, if they aren't that's kind of going to suck.
In the front of the engine *

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Interesting, I hadn't considered the cleaning benefits of the aux fuel system.
It's what normal port injection does... always washes the valves .....been thinking about it myself.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes, their 4 PORT auxiliary system is what will REALLY help this symptom of DI out (besides the aftermarket hybrid/big turbo power/tuning benefits/necessity), as the throttle body SINGLE injector system has VERY uneven distribution to the intake valves, and not enough force to REALLY keep them gunk-free. ;)
Could you image how hard such an uneven fuel distribution would be on the engine? I think that DHM found the limits of the 5th injector systems with a lean 3rd cylinder, but that kind of uneven distribution is an order a magnitude (at least) from having any effect on unequal value cleaning.

Also, don't the 4 port systems just spray into 1 of the 2 intake runners per cylinder? The Boomba Racing plate does. I don't think that the intake runners are connected inside the head so the 4-port AUX systems don't "clean" 1 of the 2 intake values per cylinder.

I'd guess that the benefit, if any, of the aux fuel systems with keeping the intake values clean is more by keeping the oil in suspension than by actually cleaning the values. None of these systems are cleaning the valves with fluid gasoline or with any more or less "force."

That said, after seeing the pictures of buildup after 11,500 miles, I think that I'm ordering a catch can. [MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION] - incoming!!

Last edited:
Where did you squirt it into the intake system from?
I spray it from the PCV. Simply disconnect the hose from the manifold and use tape around it to prevent air leak or unmetered air.

That's pretty impressive! [thumb]

Most would say it could NEVER do even close to that much cleaning.

Was this just their GDI intake tract spray can, or does CRC have a whole multi-piece, multi-stage 'kit' like 3M and others do?
Just a spray can.

Could you image how hard such an uneven fuel distribution would be on the engine? I think that DHM found the limits of the 5th injector systems with a lean 3rd cylinder, but that kind of uneven distribution is an order a magnitude (at least) from having any effect on unequal value cleaning.

Also, don't the 4 port systems just spray into 1 of the 2 intake runners per cylinder? The Boomba Racing plate does. I don't think that the intake runners are connected inside the head so the 4-port AUX systems don't "clean" 1 of the 2 intake values per cylinder.

I'd guess that the benefit, if any, of the aux fuel systems with keeping the intake values clean is more by keeping the oil in suspension than by actually cleaning the values. None of these systems are cleaning the valves with fluid gasoline or with any more or less "force."

That said, after seeing the pictures of buildup after 11,500 miles, I think that I'm ordering a catch can. [MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION] - incoming!!
I installed a custom catch can at 3,500miles. This is my second cleaning since.

I am experimenting full VTA yesterday and it stinks. See the smokes. That is through the catch can and fuel filter. Today I got a P04DB code indicating crankcase ventilation disconnected. COBB AP crankcase pressure sensor measured max. out at .22psi. and rarely see negative pressure. I can't get it above the .22psi even I temporarily block the vent. So I think the ECU knows whats going on.
[video=youtube;y9twasWFvUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9twasWFvUI&feature=youtu.be[/video]