Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New tune version 4.0 available!

Trader history for danbfree (0)

redmoe

I highly recommend testing the E85 before mixing to e30. There can be a significant variation in the actual ethanol content. For example AZ switched to e54 but many of the pumps are still labeled as E85. Once you test the fuel a couple times you have a good feel for what that particular station carries. Still not a bad idea to confirm the quality once in a while. To test all you need is a sealable graduated container. A baby bottle works great. Add water to one of the graduation lines. Then add fuel to the next line. Close and shake the bottle. The water and the ethanol will mix and the fuel will separate. Now just subtract the amount of water added initially to get the total flex fuel volume. Divide the separated fuel volume from the flex fuel volume and you have the fuel percent in the mix.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
I highly recommend testing the E85 before mixing to e30. There can be a significant variation in the actual ethanol content. For example AZ switched to e54 but many of the pumps are still labeled as E85. Once you test the fuel a couple times you have a good feel for what that particular station carries. Still not a bad idea to confirm the quality once in a while. To test all you need is a sealable graduated container. A baby bottle works great. Add water to one of the graduation lines. Then add fuel to the next line. Close and shake the bottle. The water and the ethanol will mix and the fuel will separate. Now just subtract the amount of water added initially to get the total flex fuel volume. Divide the separated fuel volume from the flex fuel volume and you have the fuel percent in the mix.
Yes, this... but the test kits are cheap and worth the investment to make it easy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alcohol-Et...g-Kit-25-455-11-S-2545511-S-New-/142014922431

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
I agree the bottle method gives the user an immediate option if needed.
Now if only there was a definitive online search tool for e85 stations... found 2 that have different results and another that seems to have waaay too false hits, sigh, just not worth the added tune cost right now with nothing close by... At least our premium fuel is labelled 92 octane but in reality is really 93-94 where I live, my OAR stays buried at -1.00 and almost always just positive ignition correction, very rare get any negative at all, I think I can benefit from Stratified doing a datalog and going more aggressive.

HBEcoBeaST

Now if only there was a definitive online search tool for e85 stations... found 2 that have different results and another that seems to have waaay too false hits, sigh, just not worth the added tune cost right now with nothing close by... At least our premium fuel is labelled 92 octane but in reality is really 93-94 where I live, my OAR stays buried at -1.00 and almost always just positive ignition correction, very rare get any negative at all, I think I can benefit from Stratified doing a datalog and going more aggressive.
If you're looking for e85 stations the app GasBuddy is a lifesaver when traveling. Plus you can sign up for their card and get 10cents off a gallon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

redmoe

Just curious how you are determining the actual octane level? My OAR was solid at -1 with the crappy AZ 91. You need to get a fair amount of corrections to start moving the OAR positive . The OAR will adjust towards +/- 1 initially from the default value depending on timing corrections and fuel trims (I believe this is a factor) over the load range. Essentially the fuel quality is determined by the engine performance. A conservative tune may indicate -1 on a particular quality fuel while an aggressive tune may show a more positive value (worse OAR). When comparing my stratified e30 to my dizzy e30 the stratified is more conservative with both afr and timing. I am very interested to see how the new enhanced torque compares to the dizzy. I think they will end up very close.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
If you're looking for e85 stations the app GasBuddy is a lifesaver when traveling. Plus you can sign up for their card and get 10cents off a gallon.
First place I tried, but they show zero for my entire area, which I know is wrong...

HBEcoBeaST

First place I tried, but they show zero for my entire area, which I know is wrong...
Sometimes you have to play with the distance. I've had it tell me there's zero if it was behind me on my route. Good luck though that sucks. Luckily for me LA/OC has plenty

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Just curious how you are determining the actual octane level? My OAR was solid at -1 with the crappy AZ 91. You need to get a fair amount of corrections to start moving the OAR positive . The OAR will adjust towards +/- 1 initially from the default value depending on timing corrections and fuel trims (I believe this is a factor) over the load range. Essentially the fuel quality is determined by the engine performance. A conservative tune may indicate -1 on a particular quality fuel while an aggressive tune may show a more positive value (worse OAR). When comparing my stratified e30 to my dizzy e30 the stratified is more conservative with both afr and timing. I am very interested to see how the new enhanced torque compares to the dizzy. I think they will end up very close.
Curious, were you using a 93 tune for your 91 labeled fuel? Again, our fuel here in the PNW is labeled 92 and I use 93 tunes based on asking around a lot on this forum, FB groups and others and the consensus was "yeah, you guys in the NW have great fuel, not sure why it's not labeled as at least 93" from tuners... one fellow forum member locally to me confirmed his tuner said there was plenty of room after datalogging his 93 tune...

So yeah, when freshly flashed the OAR starts at 0.00 and in my case, makes its way to -1.00 after only 10 miles or so, as it's based on fuel quality and the tune combined like you said. If the tune is too aggressive for the fuel, it will go into the positive and that's not good... As long as you aren't going into the positive at all, then the tune matches the fuel quality just fine but when I literally never budge off the full -1.00 except for once, and that along with only positive ignition corrections, and all the other input I got that *at least* it's worth paying for a datalog as I more than likely or not have room to go more aggressive. I may not get tons more, but just using it as a tool to decide whether to pay for that and I think I will...

But yes, good to see Stratified up their game in their e30 tunes with that option, although to be honest, it's kind of a way to simply market more datalog orders too, and that's fine when they offer great prices at the ala carte method so we only pay for what we want exactly.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Sometimes you have to play with the distance. I've had it tell me there's zero if it was behind me on my route. Good luck though that sucks. Luckily for me LA/OC has plenty
Yep, I tried zooming way out, no dice... but ya, I have lived down there and still have plenty of family and friend connections there as well so I keep a 91 tune as well in case I drive down... but if I actually lived down there I'd do e30 for sure, but that makes me wonder if one should use more or less e85 depending on if our premium is 91 or 93? hmmm...

redmoe

I ran a 91 tune with 91 octane (best we have here). It’s funny how different tuners use the OAR. I don’t remember where my stratified 91 started but for the e30 stratified it starts at -.5 and for the dizzy it starts at -.75. I usually hit -1 quickly and it never budges either. Never more from -1 on the 91 when I ran it.

HBEcoBeaST

Yep, I tried zooming way out, no dice... but ya, I have lived down there and still have plenty of family and friend connections there as well so I keep a 91 tune as well in case I drive down... but if I actually lived down there I'd do e30 for sure, but that makes me wonder if one should use more or less e85 depending on if our premium is 91 or 93? hmmm...
Stratified has different e30 options for 91+e85 vs 93+e85. I don't know how much of a difference it makes. I do know a few FoST guys running 93 tunes by running 1gal e85 + filling up the rest with 91. I'd assume you could tune for more power given the same E30 blend with 93 vs 91. You could add more e85 for octane but probably not a popular option due to math...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
OK, I officially give up on e85 in my area, only places I could find it cost the same as regular! So Ilooked down the in the OC and it's only $2.59! WTH, never knew it was that cheap down there, more than makes up for the loss of MPG's at that price, damn!

redmoe

Stratified has different e30 options for 91+e85 vs 93+e85. I don't know how much of a difference it makes. I do know a few FoST guys running 93 tunes by running 1gal e85 + filling up the rest with 91. I'd assume you could tune for more power given the same E30 blend with 93 vs 91. You could add more e85 for octane but probably not a popular option due to math...

The end octane will vary depending on the fuel mixed in. They usually use 87 octane to mix with ethanol for E85 or in my case E54. So if you start with E54 then only have 91 available to make the E30 mix your end octane will be lower when in comparison to E85 mixed with 93 or even 91. The tunes can handle a fairly wide range as the ecu adjusts the fuel trim and ignition correction to optimize performance. To get the most out of your fuel you would really need two custom tunes to account for your local fuel quality for winter and summer blends.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35

The end octane will vary depending on the fuel mixed in. They usually use 87 octane to mix with ethanol for E85 or in my case E54. So if you start with E54 then only have 91 available to make the E30 mix your end octane will be lower when in comparison to E85 mixed with 93 or even 91. The tunes can handle a fairly wide range as the ecu adjusts the fuel trim and ignition correction to optimize performance. To get the most out of your fuel you would really need two custom tunes to account for your local fuel quality for winter and summer blends.
Yeah, I was gonna say that a typical e30 blend ends up "only" around 95-96 octane, from I read, so that's why I was hoping that my fuel here really is closer to 94 so a datalog tune could try to grab some of that power sitting there... Not sure how winter gas is different or the dates it changes over but does anyone know more or if it's really closer to the actual e10 as labeled at the pump for winter and for summer it's more like straight gasoline? Edit: NM, found that it's not ethanol related... Interesting article here: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/the-vapor-rub-summer-versus-winter-gasoline-explained

Thanks for posting danbfree; this has been in the works for some time so I hope you guys enjoy the improvements. Also for those who have the 3.10 tune and want to just add the features of the new tune without changing anything else, there is the $25 version update and we will rebuild the tune to the newest spec.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_123&products_id=671

If you want features changed or have new parts installed since your last flash tune, the mod update is needed.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_123&products_id=298
Just ordered mine! I'm excited!

I think I have a V3 93 tune. Wonder if it is worth the $25 to update to V4. If anyone goes this route and notices a difference (or doesn't), please chime in.

I think I have a V3 93 tune. Wonder if it is worth the $25 to update to V4. If anyone goes this route and notices a difference (or doesn't), please chime in.
I had the older version a few months ago before I got rid of my old ap. I’ll let you know once I reflash

Alex@Stratified

Flash tune update order placed. Thanks to you and your teams awesome work! Looking forward to the V 4.00!

LILIKE16ST

I purchased the 93/e30 flash tunes from you guys back I'm february. I since installed my cpe intake and I'm about to install my ngk step colder plugs gapped ag .025 and at that time I'll send for my data log refinement I've already paid for because I'm pretty sure there's more power left on the table my fuel seems very good and my e85 tests 85% I always say at +2-4 across the board and oar stays at -1.0 and my afr is between the low 11s to the mid to higher 11s all the way through the rpm band...it's a tad on the rich side and there's room to improve going leaner I'm sure and still be safe.

My question is would I have to pay more money to get v4 with my refinement or could I get that with the refinement I've already paid for? I would like to have v4 e30 with the high torque option. I love my stratified tune and id love to make these changes and get my refinement to make it even better. If Alex@Stratified could let me know something that would be awesome.

Cliff notes: already paid for refinement I haven't got yet and want v4 and high torque e30 would I need to pay more in addition to what I've already paid to get this when I send for my refinement.