Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New tires needed. Help me pick!

Hey all!

I'm needing some new tires to replace my cupped all-seasons and am thinking I'll finally switch to having a summer and winter setup. As summer is here in Michigan that's where I'm starting. My current tires are 205/45R16s and I'm looking to keep it there or maybe bump to a 50 aspect ratio (understanding I may loose some turning performance). Price is also important, I don't want to break $100/tire, and I like the price of the Indy 500s (they are my top pick currently). So here are my current options:

- Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (205/45R16), $77.85/tire on tirerack
- Yokohama S Drive (205/45R16), $89.00/tire from Discount Tire
- BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 (205/45R16), $95.00/tire from Discount Tire

So, let me hear your thoughts!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That's a nice price for the Firestone's. That's what I would go with they are the best rated tires on tire rack for the original equipment size, I don't know about the size you're running though.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey all!

I'm needing some new tires to replace my cupped all-seasons and am thinking I'll finally switch to having a summer and winter setup. As summer is here in Michigan that's where I'm starting. My current tires are 205/45R16s and I'm looking to keep it there or maybe bump to a 50 aspect ratio (understanding I may loose some turning performance). Price is also important, I don't want to break $100/tire, and I like the price of the Indy 500s (they are my top pick currently). So here are my current options:

There's been this tire Banner marque that's been scrolling here on the forum....I cant remember the name but from what I saw had some interesting tires and good deals. Some tires I've never even heard of...but if you never try anything new....you will never know. You will always miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

Hey all!

Having run the Indy 500 on a couple of different vehicles, I would definitely recommend them. They seem to be the best price vs performance option out there.

Yeah, for under $100 the Indy 500 is your best bet. The Continental ExtremeContact Sports in that size are $110 on Tire Rack, which is also a steal compared to something like the PSS, but goes over your $100 budget. I've really enjoyed them so far, but probably not needed unless you are doing something beyond street driving.

Last edited:

AzNightmare

I've heard others like the Comp2 better than the 500.

Do you have personal experience using each one? I'm on the fence between them. I'm currently using comp 2 but I don't have anything to compare with.

So here are my current options:

The OEM Bridgestones are great but probably out of your price range. Go with the comp2. Those were the tyres the octane academy ran.

DEss

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Oh this is easy.
Out of those three in this order:
#1 Indy 500
#2 B.F. G-Force Sport Comp 2
#3 Yokohama S Drive
+1

Indy 500s are also quieter and ride smoother than the BFG so if you are commuting or touring, they are a no-brainer in their price range.

BFG does give better feedback though. In my opinion the tradeoff is worth it without the price factor. But there are some who disagree. Both tires are good though.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Business6

Enjoying my 500's right now in stock size. I wish they made them in 15" sizes but I'll probably get them for a 205/45/16 setup within the next year.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey all!

Here's the site I was talking about that cycles on the marque banner for the add crap.....just some FYI...a bunch of stock style tires from some brands I've never heard of but might be good!

https://simpletire.com/catalog?year...ption=ST&size=2054017-84-149&oe_selected=true

[biggrin]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I concur with putting the S-Drives dead last. I ran a set and after the second summer, they became hard as a rock and terribly noisy. My winter tires had more dry weather traction and were much quieter. I replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and I love them! The best street tire I have ever used.

Everyone seems to really like the Firestones. I don't recall ever hearing a bad review of them.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #15
Just to give everyone closure. I ended up going with the 500s. Based on the feedback the two seemed very close in performance, and the $20/tire savings was hard to argue with. Hoping to get them installed this week (need a new wheel due to a bent inner rim).

AzNightmare

Anyone using the ExtremeContact sport?
Tirerack rates them as a higher tier performance tire than the Indy 500, Sport comp2, S Drive, etc.

Tirerack rates them as a higher tier performance tire than the Indy 500, Sport comp2, S Drive, etc.
I had them on my FoST. Compared to the performance Goodyears that came on it, they were much quieter, great in the snow, a little less rigid in the sidewall but not by much, and the same goes for the grip. Overall I thought they were great tires. My only gripe with them is that they didn't seem all that great with wet traction, although dry and snow traction was excellent.

Edit: Oops. I missed the "sport" part in his question. I was referring to the ExtremeContact DWS, which is the all-season variant.

Last edited:

A7xogg

Im running the contis, there amazing tire all around. They can do everything have plenty of grip, good in the rain, very quiet, but they do have a softer sidewall which unless you autox i dont think it will bother you

AzNightmare

Im running the contis, there amazing tire all around. They can do everything have plenty of grip, good in the rain, very quiet, but they do have a softer sidewall which unless you autox i dont think it will bother you
Softer sidewall than the Indy500s or Sport Comp 2? I was thinking these tires are supposed to offer more performance..

I had them on my FoST. Compared to the performance Goodyears that came on it, they were much quieter, great in the snow, a little less rigid in the sidewall but not by much, and the same goes for the grip. Overall I thought they were great tires. My only gripe with them is that they didn't seem all that great with wet traction, although dry and snow traction was excellent.
Weird, are we talking about the same tires? lol. These are sticky performance tires, like one step down from the RE-71R's. No way should they be used for snow, and I doubt tires in this category would be good in snow... They are strictly summer tires.

A7xogg

Softer sidewall than the Indy500s or Sport Comp 2? I was thinking these tires are supposed to offer more performance..

Weird, are we talking about the same tires? lol. These are sticky performance tires, like one step down from the RE-71R's. No way should they be used for snow, and I doubt tires in this category would be good in snow... They are strictly summer tires.
They offer more grip but a softer sidewall (wierd how that works, and they do grip). I can confirm they work great in the snow(which is wierd cause it's a summer tire)