Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM Style twin gas struts for bonnet

brbauer2

Mine arrived late this afternoon. Probably won't have time until next weekend to install them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Well, I lied.

I took a look at the forecast and saw today was going to be the last nice day before winter sets in (50° instead of 30°).

Before

After

Had a heck of a time getting the driver side bracket in place. Had to unbolt the fuse box rear bracket to get enough room. Then getting the fuse box cover back on......I just hope I'm not going to need to replace a fuse anytime soon.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Got these installed today. They are quite nice but I was slightly miffed, the instructions nor the install video mention that in order for the bracket to NOT disallow the headlight to seat all the way in, you have to push it (1) all the way toward the cabin and (2) all the way down. This makes it cocked slightly which bothered me but no one will notice. Trial and error, had to take it on and off an few times. Also as was mentioned, the fuse box is right in the way, you have to remove the cover to install, replacing it isn't fun, you have to manipulate it a bit but it goes on. Also if you're installing, use a cat's claw or crowbar on the drivers side to push the fuse box over slightly so you'll have room to get the bottom bolt in, otherwise you will be cussing.

All in all I spent about an hour figuring this out but it would have been quicker if the instructions/video had mentioned these issues. They probably installed it on a different non-ST trim so it was different under the hood when they did it.

Here's a video followed by some pictures. It might open an inch or two more now with the struts replacing the prop bar.

[video=youtube;pYS0BM0xhcM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYS0BM0xhcM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Before, prop bar:
Hosted on Fotki

After, hood struts:
Hosted on Fotki

A few more:
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

I think my package may have been lost... Last update: processed by USPS in NYC on December 1st. Ordered on the 25th.

If it doesn't show up or no updates by the weekend, I'll contact Dark Ice and see if they can help out.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I think my package may have been lost... Last update: processed by USPS in NYC on December 1st. Ordered on the 25th.

If it doesn't show up or no updates by the weekend, I'll contact Dark Ice and see if they can help out.
I had documents from Italy that sat in NY for two weeks. I would wait a while for USPS. Having said that, I got my struts in the mail yesterday.

brbauer2

In regards to the fuse box, there have been a couple different changes to it based on model year.

I found that talking the cover off and unbolting the back support on the strut tower allowed enough movement.

The headlights are a tight fit, but it works and looks good so it was worth the slight struggle to get them installed.

jeff

2000 Post Club
A few more thoughts in addition to my video and post the other day.

After a few days of seeing these in action, I'm disappointed with the lack of power in the struts themselves. They only lift the hood the final 20% of the distance, the rest must be done by hand. I'm going to see if I can source some beefier struts that will fit into the existing brackets.

Still, I do like them, but they're much less substantial than hood struts I've installed on other cars where once you lift the hood a few inches the strut does the work. These only actually lift it a few inches, the final few inches. Considering that I'm concerned that they might not keep the hood up overnight. I'm in the habit of, once I park my car in my garage, popping the hood and leaving it up overnight to help cool and so I can check fluids and such often. I'm worried I might hear a loud crash in the middle of the night with these struts in place.

Considering that and the bracket/headlight fitment issues I mentioned the other day, I'd give these a C+ rating.

A few more thoughts in addition to my video and post the other day.

After a few days of seeing these in action, I'm disappointed with the lack of power in the struts themselves. They only lift the hood the final 20% of the distance, the rest must be done by hand. I'm going to see if I can source some beefier struts that will fit into the existing brackets.

Still, I do like them, but they're much less substantial than hood struts I've installed on other cars where once you lift the hood a few inches the strut does the work. These only actually lift it a few inches, the final few inches. Considering that I'm concerned that they might not keep the hood up overnight. I'm in the habit of, once I park my car in my garage, popping the hood and leaving it up overnight to help cool and so I can check fluids and such often. I'm worried I might hear a loud crash in the middle of the night with these struts in place.

Considering that and the bracket/headlight fitment issues I mentioned the other day, I'd give these a C+ rating.
Any luck finding a bit beefier strut?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Any luck finding a bit beefier strut?
I never looked, I got used to it. Actually it's not bad at all, they have loosened up a bit since install and lift the hood a good 50% or more. I think they just needed a break-in.

I never looked, I got used to it. Actually it's not bad at all, they have loosened up a bit since install and lift the hood a good 50% or more. I think they just needed a break-in.
Was it cold on the days it was "hard to open" ?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Was it cold on the days it was "hard to open" ?
Hmmm....that could be, though it never gets real cold here in GA so I don't know that that's the issue. I really think that (a) it needed to break in and (b) my expectations were too high. Bottom line is they work fine and hold the hood up quite nicely, and when I pop my hood for onlookers they sometimes notice the hood struts which are out of place for a Fiesta!!!

The only real issue I've found with them so far is you can't get the fuse box cover off/on with it, at some point I want to take a closer look and see if there is something I can do about it, thankfully I hardly ever need to get in it, but when I do, I'd prefer to actually be able to

jeff

2000 Post Club
The only real issue I've found with them so far is you can't get the fuse box cover off/on with it, at some point I want to take a closer look and see if there is something I can do about it, thankfully I hardly ever need to get in it, but when I do, I'd prefer to actually be able to
I can get mine off, I just have to squeeze the cover pretty hard to release it. Definitely not the best situation but for the money this product is a good mod.

I can get mine off, I just have to squeeze the cover pretty hard to release it. Definitely not the best situation but for the money this product is a good mod.
Oh yeah, totally agree! I'll see if maybe the bracket just needs to wiggle a little to either side and maybe use a tad more force on the cover, thanks!

My concern obviously was the temperature effect on the gas strut pressure resulting in less output force. A poorly designed / manufactured strut could show significant drop off in low temperatures conditions, leading to the symptoms you saw. But given your climate that likely is not the case.

Is the C+ rating still valid?

Hmmm....that could be, though it never gets real cold here in GA so I don't know that that's the issue. I really think that (a) it needed to break in and (b) my expectations were too high. Bottom line is they work fine and hold the hood up quite nicely, and when I pop my hood for onlookers they sometimes notice the hood struts which are out of place for a Fiesta!!!

jeff

2000 Post Club
My concern obviously was the temperature effect on the gas strut pressure resulting in less output force. A poorly designed / manufactured strut could show significant drop off in low temperatures conditions, leading to the symptoms you saw. But given your climate that likely is not the case.

Is the C+ rating still valid?
I suppose I’d move it up to a solid B.

Truth is this is totally unnecessary though it is cool and helps when working on the engine without the prop bar in the way...again for the money it’s a fun easy neat mod.

I suppose I’d move it up to a solid B.

Truth is this is totally unnecessary though it is cool and helps when working on the engine without the prop bar in the way...again for the money it’s a fun easy neat mod.
Yeah but to be fair that's true of a lot of mods. Thanks for the feedback

jeff

2000 Post Club
Yeah but to be fair that's true of a lot of mods. Thanks for the feedback
Yeah....I've done a lot to my car. Probably $1000 of it is crap like these hood struts that I don't really need and that provides no real benefit other than the simple joy of install and knowing you've customized your car. To me 50% of it is the process and satisfaction and artistic/creative experience. I save up "mod money" and carefully pick what I'm going to buy when I get the funds. I have a running list and this was on it. Heck my beater is a '98 civic and I spend a little here and there to make it my own, and in some ways I'm just as happy driving it as driving my Fiesta because I enjoy the whole process - research, install, enjoy, drive. It's a healthy habit as long as I only pay cash for mods. Plus I have something to show for it. Better than spending my money on cocaine and hookers.