Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

Does anyone have an idea of what might be left on the table with E50 and aux fuel?

I'm considering buying either this kit or an X47 and running aux fuel.
I spoke with a tuner and he advised that aux fuel was not necessary with E30, but I've also been advised that running ethanol mixes higher than E30 is not worth it.

Installed my MRX over the past week.

Catless downpipe, stock intake & exhaust. Base Mountune map.

Gonna run the car like this for a bit to see where or if I want to go any further than just gettting a tune.

You're probably losing a bit of potential by not running a higher-flow intake, and definitely would benefit from an improved intercooler. I have a Mountune airbox that's coming off of my car in a few days if you're interested.

Installed my MRX over the past week.

Catless downpipe, stock intake & exhaust. Base Mountune map.

Gonna run the car like this for a bit to see where or if I want to go any further than just gettting a tune.
I will be curious to see your numbers running at elevation. I just got mine yesterday but I have Octane Academy next week and I am waiting on my CP-E exhale kit to show up, so I wont be installing until likely next weekend. Did you get yours with the upgraded WGA?

I will be curious to see your numbers running at elevation. I just got mine yesterday but I have Octane Academy next week and I am waiting on my CP-E exhale kit to show up, so I wont be installing until likely next weekend. Did you get yours with the upgraded WGA?
I'm down in Cincinnati but I just moved here from central Colorado at 7000'. Performance is quite noticeably improved down here near sea level. I have not installed the upgraded WGA yet, but it's in a box here.

Although I had a good intake and intercooler, I was still running the stock exhaust and a Mountune high-flow cat downpipe, so there was a little performance left on the table there.

That said, I was still really happy with the performance with the original WGA at altitude. The character of the motor changed with a big jump in power in the upper half of the rev range. You do lose some low-end grunt but coincidentally I gained some MPG in daily driving since I'm not in the boost as much (unless I want to be [:D]).

I'm down in Cincinnati but I just moved here from central Colorado at 7000'. Performance is quite noticeably improved down here near sea level. I have not installed the upgraded WGA yet, but it's in a box here.

Although I had a good intake and intercooler, I was still running the stock exhaust and a Mountune high-flow cat downpipe, so there was a little performance left on the table there.

That said, I was still really happy with the performance with the original WGA at altitude. The character of the motor changed with a big jump in power in the upper half of the rev range. You do lose some low-end grunt but coincidentally I gained some MPG in daily driving since I'm not in the boost as much (unless I want to be [:D]).
Yeah I went ahead and ordered the upgraded WGA with the kit, as I wanted to get the most out of this thing right out of the gate. Im at 2800ft and am hoping to push as close to 300 as I can get. I am running GReddy's 3in exhaust but a Cobb catted downpipe. So performance I am also leaving some on the table but I cant imagine its that much. Everything else is full bolt on. I was ok losing low end power because of drivetrain stress. And I wanted the higher up power band for tracking anyway. So this should fit my needs well. I plan to get 1/4 mile times and real dyno runs here, which no one else has seemed to do. Outside of vdyno. So im kind of excited. For science!!

Hey everyone,

I just had the MRX kit installed and with mixed emotions (regarding the power gains found) I have the hard data of the dyno tuning after installing. I'll get right to the chart first, the dotted lines are my prior run on the stock turbo and the solid lines are with the MRX turbo.

This is with Cobb intake, intercooler, IC piping, downpipe, and catback. I run 92 octane gas, and this is the best I was able to get in my tuning session =/. As a reminder, here are the gains Mountune claimed on 91 octane:

So my numbers are quite a bit lower... No torque gained and horsepower is a lot less than I was expecting. My tuner did however bump my rev limit to 7k because the turbo was still making good power up past 7k.

Regarding driving impressions, driving out of the parking lot for the first time was a bummer feeling the loss of power down low and in the midrange. I do understand the concept of it being a trade off from down low power/small turbo and up high/bigger turbo but this was my first endeavor in going small to bigger turbo so I guess it's just something I'll get used to over time. I definitely need to re-learn how I drive the car to take better advantage of the power band. I also think this car went from a light to light performer to a freeway performer (top speed is the only place I really feel a big difference). I have already done quite a bit of interstate freeway driving and it does pull hard on the freeway.

I spent quite a bit for the dyno and tuning time, but at this point I'm wondering if Randy could find any areas to improve if I sent him data logs and paid even more money for that. I was like a little kid on Christmas eve right before the install, and now I'm wondering if I should have done it at all.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Wow. That's a bummer. What's your elevation? I hear that thinner air will mess up power numbers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wow. That's a bummer. What's your elevation? I hear that thinner air will mess up power numbers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yeap elevation= less denser air=loss of power....that sucks man...I'm sorry to hear that...hopefully it can be remedied some how so you can better enjoy the MRX.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

A7xogg

Hey everyone,

I just had the MRX kit installed and with mixed emotions (regarding the power gains found) I have the hard data of the dyno tuning after installing. I'll get right to the chart first, the dotted lines are my prior run on the stock turbo and the solid lines are with the MRX turbo.

This is with Cobb intake, intercooler, IC piping, downpipe, and catback. I run 92 octane gas, and this is the best I was able to get in my tuning session =/. As a reminder, here are the gains Mountune claimed on 91 octane:

So my numbers are quite a bit lower... No torque gained and horsepower is a lot less than I was expecting. My tuner did however bump my rev limit to 7k because the turbo was still making good power up past 7k.

Regarding driving impressions, driving out of the parking lot for the first time was a bummer feeling the loss of power down low and in the midrange. I do understand the concept of it being a trade off from down low power/small turbo and up high/bigger turbo but this was my first endeavor in going small to bigger turbo so I guess it's just something I'll get used to over time. I definitely need to re-learn how I drive the car to take better advantage of the power band. I also think this car went from a light to light performer to a freeway performer (top speed is the only place I really feel a big difference). I have already done quite a bit of interstate freeway driving and it does pull hard on the freeway.

I spent quite a bit for the dyno and tuning time, but at this point I'm wondering if Randy could find any areas to improve if I sent him data logs and paid even more money for that. I was like a little kid on Christmas eve right before the install, and now I'm wondering if I should have done it at all.
Might I suggest you turn the cobb traction control system on and set it to 8, then go for a drive and don't short shift. I feel a huge difference going to the cobb t.c. system even with the esc off completely. It looks right cause elevation + low octane and no ethanol. Also take a log logging the air flow meter and if you still don't like it try another tuner

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey everyone...

First, thanks for posting your data/dynos, many talk but few do, you're the man.

Next, I really appreciate you being honest. My research about turbo options had me concerned about shifting power band and potential personality shift of the car. Many are quite happy with the MRX though, perhaps if/when you get things adjusted you'll be more satisfied.

I'd suggest that like others said elevation and octane and tuning are your joy killers here. [SCAMMER ALERT] had an MRX for about a year now and he's pretty happy. His logs show around 280 with good gas and tuning. You can't do anything about the elevation, but maybe a few hundred bucks more spent for another tune will help? I am sure you trust your tuner, but those results do seem low. I'd suggest Randy/Adam/someone do another tune, and do so with some octane booster...a few ounces of Race Gas concentrate in each tank is only a few dollars and will raise your octane to 93, 95, whatever you want. The difference between a few octane points really is noticeable.

Good luck! And thanks again for your honesty it is very inspiring and refreshing especially after all the posturing and posing that has comprised much of this thread thus far.

Everett's not that high in elevation either, that's a shame. I will say my car felt completely different down in Oceanside compared to here in Calgary(3,428ft). Here it's a bore and I always sort of regret the upgrade. But when I'm in Cali...I f'n love the the upgrade

Could it be the gas? I've always heard that the gas in washington is much poorer compared to other states

Thanks for the input everyone, I think you guys are saying lower elevation = better but the dyno is at 164 feet and Portland, OR (where it took place) in general is listed at 50 feet so it's pretty close to sea level.

Might I suggest you turn the cobb traction control system on and set it to 8, then go for a drive and don't short shift. I feel a huge difference going to the cobb t.c. system even with the esc off completely. It looks right cause elevation + low octane and no ethanol. Also take a log logging the air flow meter and if you still don't like it try another tuner
Thus far I've been turning off traction control with the ESC button as a standard practice when I drive. I've never touched traction control through the accessport, that's a possibility? And it's a good thing to have it at level 8 which I'm assuming is high?

So glad I held off on this kit. I live close to Everett WA. Not to rub salt in your wounds, but that is a huge expense for what could have been done with no turbo upgrade and a custom tune. I can't imagine another tuner would totally transform the performance.

Instead of spending more money bite the bullet...take it off, sell it, and get a revo kit or something similar. If you don't you will probably regret keeping it until you sell the car.

Taking it off would involve even more money, I'm not up for swapping turbos myself so the kit will probably just stay on there for good.

Is there any hard dyno data on the Revo kit? I was perusing the Revo thread I think started by Whoosh, but I didn't see any solid numbers (especially by customers).

As for tuning the stock turbo, people are getting 240+hp and still be reliable for a daily driver?

If you are using it as a daily, are you really enjoying any of the benefits of the MRX?

Seems like the gains are all at higher RPMs.

As for data or experience with the Revo--I don't--but a couple popular tuners advised against the MRX. Your results confirm what they told me.

Regardless, the choice is obviously yours. I was just giving my opinion.

Zormecteon

The elevation for Everett Washington is essentially Sea Level. It's on Puget Sound.

What I wonder is why tuning time on the dyno was spent. I thought it came with a "base tune" right from mountune. ... I want to believe Randy's tune is better than what is being shown AND that sending data logs and having it custom tuned BY Randy will improve the situation. It's still on my to-do list. ..

A7xogg

Thanks for the input everyone, I think you guys are saying lower elevation = better but the dyno is at 164 feet and Portland, OR (where it took place) in general is listed at 50 feet so it's pretty close to sea level.

Thus far I've been turning off traction control with the ESC button as a standard practice when I drive. I've never touched traction control through the accessport, that's a possibility? And it's a good thing to have it at level 8 which I'm assuming is high?
Yeah
8 is completely off, but the car is a whole nother animal on the cobb t.c system. I personally use level 5 and if you really love it, your tuner can have it turned on by default so you don't have to turn it on every time you start the car. I think everyone is forgetting ur at elevation + low octane