Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Who tracks their FiST?

I just signed up for the May 10th Track Night In America event at Pocono. Anyone run here before?

I've autocrossed for years but this will be the first actual track day. The 2.5 mile course they run looks like it won't play nice with temps but I'm not going to upgrade anything outside brakes/intercooler for the first time out. We'll see how it goes before going crazy.

Time to figure out which pads might be best. [like]
I will be there on May 20 with Hooked on Driving, their Pocono Mega event, 3.5mi
https://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-region/Northeast

What it looks like when I did it in my ex-Mustang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7kduK5UCRg

I will be there on May 20 with Hooked on Driving, their Pocono Mega event, 3.5mi
https://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-region/Northeast

What it looks like when I did it in my ex-Mustang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7kduK5UCRg

Nice, I'll have to check that video out later. Something like the Novice run group with a coach is what I really want to do at least once this season, seems like a good program.

What pads do you run or will be running? I'll be building the brake ducts others have done along with swapping to Motul 660 brake fluid but am undecided on pads.

Carbotech XP8 or XP10s seem like they might do the trick.

Nice, I'll have to check that video out later. Something like the Novice run group with a coach is what I really want to do at least once this season, seems like a good program.

What pads do you run or will be running? I'll be building the brake ducts others have done along with swapping to Motul 660 brake fluid but am undecided on pads.

The XP8's or XP10's should be fine if you're running in Novice with RBF660. With cooling they might be too aggressive depending on abient temp, the effectivness of the cooling ducts and your braking use. But to play it safe you should run either Carbotechs and if they arn't reaching temp then pull the cooling.

That course looks mighty! I'll have to get up there one day to run it!

The XP8's or XP10's should be fine if you're running in Novice with RBF660. With cooling they might be too aggressive depending on abient temp, the effectivness of the cooling ducts and your braking use. But to play it safe you should run either Carbotechs and if they arn't reaching temp then pull the cooling.

That course looks mighty! I'll have to get up there one day to run it!
Good point, on the temps. I was somewhat under the mindset that even with cooling our car's would cook the brakes after a 20min session. Maybe not during my first few track days as I get the hang of things but definitely with harder driving.

Do you run with upgraded rear pads as well?

I bet the bigger problem, novice or not, will be coolant/oil temps with the stock rad. It's on my list of upgrades but likely not immediately.

I have no track days with this car yet, so I'm going there stockish (lighter wheels and 140tw tires) and see how it goes

I'm in the intermediate group and have no idea what to expect with this car. It'll be a 8/10 or 9/10 day until i get more seat time with it

Good point, on the temps. I was somewhat under the mindset that even with cooling our car's would cook the brakes after a 20min session. Maybe not during my first few track days as I get the hang of things but definitely with harder driving.

Do you run with upgraded rear pads as well?

I bet the bigger problem, novice or not, will be coolant/oil temps with the stock rad. It's on my list of upgrades but likely not immediately.
I run Hawk HPS 5.0's in the rear and they work fine. The rears don't do a whole lot on this car, but they definitely do something! I run RBF600 with ESC theoretically off and dont have any issue with brake fluid boiling. I'll bleed after a full track weekend, but RBF is really tough stuff.

I would agree that, especially at that long course with what looks like a few small and a few long straights, that coolant/oil temp will be the real limiting factor. If you have an accessport use it to monitor temps and throw that heater on high and full blast out the window! I know it sucks (trust me, Watkins Glen with stock rad in 90 degree is not fun), but it keeps your temps down.

I run Hawk HPS 5.0's in the rear and they work fine. The rears don't do a whole lot on this car, but they definitely do something! I run RBF600 with ESC theoretically off and dont have any issue with brake fluid boiling. I'll bleed after a full track weekend, but RBF is really tough stuff.

I would agree that, especially at that long course with what looks like a few small and a few long straights, that coolant/oil temp will be the real limiting factor. If you have an accessport use it to monitor temps and throw that heater on high and full blast out the window! I know it sucks (trust me, Watkins Glen with stock rad in 90 degree is not fun), but it keeps your temps down.
Yesterday was the event at Pocono and it was a blast while the fun lasted. Unfortunately they shut things down after the second session due to severe thunderstorms and not having enough time to complete the remaining sessions before track closing. The good thing is they gave everyone a $100 voucher towards another TNIA event and the car performed perfectly.

Ended up going with Hawk HB725R.650 Street/Race pads combined with the cmbuildz brake ducts and Motul RBF660 fluid which performed well but I can see how these pads will destroy the rotors in short order.

Ambient temps were around 70 and after each 20min session the car never went into limp mode. Max coolant temp was around 230 and oil got to about 235 so it seems it'll be an issue on hotter days as the track was fast and allowed me to reach about 115mph on the big straights. Overall I was shocked how well the car handled and got a handful of point-bys from faster cars (but also gave some as well). The only issue was with two Corvettes who eventually got black flagged for not giving point-bys.

Yesterday was the event at Pocono and it was a blast while the fun lasted. Unfortunately they shut things down after the second session due to severe thunderstorms and not having enough time to complete the remaining sessions before track closing. The good thing is they gave everyone a $100 voucher towards another TNIA event and the car performed perfectly.

Ended up going with Hawk HB725R.650 Street/Race pads combined with the cmbuildz brake ducts and Motul RBF660 fluid which performed well but I can see how these pads will destroy the rotors in short order.

Ambient temps were around 70 and after each 20min session the car never went into limp mode. Max coolant temp was around 230 and oil got to about 235 so it seems it'll be an issue on hotter days as the track was fast and allowed me to reach about 115mph on the big straights. Overall I was shocked how well the car handled and got a handful of point-bys from faster cars (but also gave some as well). The only issue was with two Corvettes who eventually got black flagged for not giving point-bys.
Glad to hear the event went well while it lasted! I ran Hawk DTC-30 pads with the CMBuildz ducting and I scorched rotors like no thother! Especially at the Glen!

If you're already at those temps, you're definetly going to need some engine cooling! I ran this past weekend at NJMP is similar weather and hit peak coolant temp of 210 and peak oil temp of 238 with my set up.

It's funny, I had a few run ins with a slow Vette' that didn't want to let me by too!

I dabble in comparison to most others here. My first track day with the FiST. Came in mostly stock, Cobb RMM, 15" Sparco wheels, 205/50 Federal 595RSR tires.
At NYST near Oneonta,NY on Friday

I will be Pocono Mega on 5/20

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'll occasionally track my FiST. My first track day was at Heartland Motorsports Park and it was a blast.

This car is too fun to make strictly just a track car, I drive it too much for that to happen.

borborpa

Premium Account

I've been debating heading up there for one of the track days. The ST Academy got me hooked! Need to figure out what I need to update on the car first.

Good to see someone from Central PA on here! :-D

I've been debating heading up there for one of the track days. The ST Academy got me hooked! Need to figure out what I need to update on the car first.

Good to see someone from Central PA on here! :-D
There are a few more Pocono TNIA's, come on out!

There was one last night and it was a blast but unfortunately the hot side charge pipe kept blowing off. It made it through the first session fine but blew off the 2nd lap of the 2nd session. I tightened the OEM pipe/clamp to the point I feared it'd break but it still only made it half of the 3rd session. Both times the pipe worked it's way off at an angle slipped out from under the clamp on the bottom.

Maybe time to upgrade to some t-bolt clamps?

Oil temps hit 250* the first session but blasting the heat kept things around 240 although only being 75* ambient means at least a radiator is needed. It was crazy to watch the oil temps jump 5*+ down the back straight where you come out of a tight 90* and are flat out into 5th gear.

I had an issue with the hot-side charge pipe as well. It would pop off at the hot-side mouth of the intercooler (especially right after I hit curbing with alligators). I even tried the hair spray method with no luck. I eventually threw two T-bolt clamps on it and haven't had a problem since.

I had an issue with the hot-side charge pipe as well. It would pop off at the hot-side mouth of the intercooler (especially right after I hit curbing with alligators). I even tried the hair spray method with no luck. I eventually threw two T-bolt clamps on it and haven't had a problem since.
Haven't had a chance to mess with the ST since the last track day thanks to buying a house but I'm curious about oil temps.

Are our oil temps a calculated value or does the AP return actual values? There is a reddit user who is claiming it's a calculated value.

Haven't had a chance to mess with the ST since the last track day thanks to buying a house but I'm curious about oil temps.

Are our oil temps a calculated value or does the AP return actual values? There is a reddit user who is claiming it's a calculated value.
I've too been told its a calculated value, but I'm not certain nor am I an expert on the matter. Someone with more technical knowledge could probably answer that question better then I.

Ford Community Posts