Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MTC/Cobb/Whoosh/Depo/Pwnall off-branded?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Edit: Realize now that this is a Mishimoto clone, total core area= 362. The ones from the vendors in title are larger, 500 total core area! Leaving link up for reference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Perfo...ler-for-Ford-Fiesta-ST-2014-2017/273399135705

This one is clone of the Garret/ATP core, 468 total core area, but also larger 3" inlet/outlet size would require new hoses:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ACS...ncy-Intercooler-Core-Size-24/32851874210.html

So the question is, they all claim to be direct fit, but with 4" difference in width, is it easier to install the more narrow/taller or wider/shorter ones? Shorter seems like would be better for air flow to the radiator...

Last edited:

slopoke

For me, I will buy from Ron Miller @ Whoosh. Prices are competitive and Ron has great customer service. Cheapest is not always best.

redmoe

For me, I will buy from Ron Miller @ Whoosh. Prices are competitive and Ron has great customer service. Cheapest is not always best.

I second this and its worth spending a little extra money to support vendors that put something back into the community. Buying stuff like this directly from China is essentially under cutting the vendors that work to bring us great products and innovation.

It’s like buying products from your local ACE hardware when you can even though they may cost a little more the small local shop always seems to have what you need in a pinch vs the big name “depot”

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If you order from China to save money, you usually wind up spending more learning from the mistake. A country with no enforcement of copyright law where you have zero recourse if they rip you off is not a wise place to spend money.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I second this and its worth spending a little extra money to support vendors that put something back into the community. Buying stuff like this directly from China is essentially under cutting the vendors that work to bring us great products and innovation.

It’s like buying products from your local ACE hardware when you can even though they may cost a little more the small local shop always seems to have what you need in a pinch vs the big name “depot”
If you order from China to save money, you usually wind up spending more learning from the mistake. A country with no enforcement of copyright law where you have zero recourse if they rip you off is not a wise place to spend money.
Sorry guys, I'm paid shit wages by a company that undercuts me, I'm going to do what I have to do to in return... when it's literally the same Garret core used in the ATP and it's not like it's a critical moving piece that will just up and leave me stranded it's strongly worth considering... I also have friends in China and good luck with products made there, if you guys have any input on the product itself I'd like to hear it, I just don't want to get into political and personal belief stuff, but I can respect where you're coming from.

XanRules

I wanted to say: "It is likely not the same core as I believe the Garrett core is US-Made," but apparently Garrett moved their intercooler manufacturing to China in approximately 2004, so...

redmoe

Sorry guys, I'm paid shit wages by a company that undercuts me, I'm going to do what I have to do to in return... when it's literally the same Garret core used in the ATP and it's not like it's a critical moving piece that will just up and leave me stranded it's strongly worth considering... I also have friends in China and good luck with products made there, if you guys have any input on the product itself I'd like to hear it, I just don't want to get into political and personal belief stuff, but I can respect where you're coming from.
It may not have moving parts but if it is not prepared and cleaned properly you may end up with debris in you intake tract = a potentially trashed cylinder. I’m not saying that either source is guaranteed against or to have issues just that one is a better known and vetted quantity. Also if cash is so tight $80-$100 makes or breaks the deal, modifying anything engine or drivetrain related should be a non starter as the cost to recover from a failure out of warranty is much more significant than the part savings.

pwnall1337

Vendor
Honestly speaking, almost everything is made in china these days even if it's a USA company unless they state 100% american made. For example CP-E makes their stuff in house and is top quality USA made which is why it costs more. We buy the chinese ones from a supplier in china, however I'm currently mocking up a USA fitment design for a focus st intercooler which eventually will be available from me and will be produced in china. TIG welding is expensive and an american quality intercooler is going to be priced $500+, but the market for the fiesta seems to want the cheaper stuff. In terms of customer service we offer 3 day ground free on all orders for Pwnall Performance brand parts. I wouldn't sell parts that I wouldn't run on my own car. I run our intercooler on our car with the x47r turbo and nitrous. I've been in this community since 2013/2014 and I've seen vendors come and go so I was able to learn from others mistakes. I'll always strive to do my best and help the customer, and I follow a life saying of always staying humble.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Honestly speaking, almost everything is made in china these days even if it's a USA company unless they state 100% american made. For example CP-E makes their stuff in house and is top quality USA made which is why it costs more. We buy the chinese ones from a supplier in china, however I'm currently mocking up a USA fitment design for a focus st intercooler which eventually will be available from me and will be produced in china. TIG welding is expensive and an american quality intercooler is going to be priced $500+, but the market for the fiesta seems to want the cheaper stuff. In terms of customer service we offer 3 day ground free on all orders for Pwnall Performance brand parts. I wouldn't sell parts that I wouldn't run on my own car. I run our intercooler on our car with the x47r turbo and nitrous. I've been in this community since 2013/2014 and I've seen vendors come and go so I was able to learn from others mistakes. I'll always strive to do my best and help the customer, and I follow a life saying of always staying humble.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Well said, honestly I would go with you for sure if I was to go through a vendor, you have great prices, very active in the community, etc.. Let's be honest, who cares what country it's made in as long as it's good quality? China happens to have a manufacturing based economy with low labor costs for us, they make low to high quality as spec'd out and paid for. We really gotta adapt and accept that, they are people too in this world economy. That said, the others posting didn't call stuff from China poor quality either but they just don't know me. I have a LOT of time on my hands between tests in my computer lab, I like to research and find deals. Others have to work much harder for their 3 new cars, and I respect that, they make good money, they find their value in the peace of mind of buying from a US vendor and that's great. It's just 2 different ways of looking at it. I wish they would respect what I find value in with my more time than money, it's kind of a matter of principal to me, not that I'm dirt poor and can't pay for a repair, I simply can have more toys if I carefully research and find they very best deal possible while weighing the possible negatives.

Anyway, I guess I kind of insulted people some by going out of my way to show how cheap I am when there are great vendors that deserve support with the service they provide us. Whoosh and Pwnall are VERY active in the community as actual enthusiasts and your classy reply just shows how you are a true enthusiast first! Cheers! :)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Some people enjoying supporting their fellow Americans. I'm big on buying USA, but I understand that's not allwas a option. You can buy whatever you want I could care less. You got your opinions and I got mine.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

pwnall1337

Vendor
Some people enjoying supporting their fellow Americans. I'm big on buying USA, but I understand that's not allwas a option. You can buy whatever you want I could care less. You got your opinions and I got mine.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I would secretly like to see tariffs that made chinese import stuff more expensive than american made. I'd be out here with a TIG welder welding end tanks to Garrett cores :)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sounds like you need to find a new employer or even a new career! if you do go this route let us know how it goes. I know from personal exp that ordering from china can be a PIA if you need to return a defective product....others just sent me a new product no questions asked. So id say its hit or miss with anything from china at this point. Good luck! [wrenchin]

I would secretly like to see tariffs that made chinese import stuff more expensive than american made. I'd be out here with a TIG welder welding end tanks to Garrett cores :)
Problem with that is, there WAS a time when only the more expensive inter-coolers were available - except, I don't think too many people were buying them. So, if there was a tariff on imports and suddenly inter-cooler (regardless of origin) prices went up, you'd have less demand again. For me personally, I wouldn't want to spend $500+ on it. I doubt I'm alone in that.

Not to derail the topic - OP, the only way for one to tell is to have both inter-coolers. I don't think you'll find many members who can claim they do. So, if you're really in the market, you should just go for the one in the link you provided. Remember, there was a time when Depo and Whoosh inter-coolers were the cheaper and the unknown. Somebody took a chance on them. Then more people did. And more. At some point, they were no longer considered the unknown. Does that mean everyone should only buy from known vendors? If that were the case, Depo and Whoosh wouldn't have sold as many as they have. Point is, it's your car and your money. You shouldn't have to apologize to anyone for not wanting to spend more than you're willing. It seems that you did your research - just gotta execute.

DEss

redmoe

Well said, honestly I would go with you for sure if I was to go through a vendor, you have great prices, very active in the community, etc.. Let's be honest, who cares what country it's made in as long as it's good quality? China happens to have a manufacturing based economy with low labor costs for us, they make low to high quality as spec'd out and paid for. We really gotta adapt and accept that, they are people too in this world economy. That said, the others posting didn't call stuff from China poor quality either but they just don't know me. I have a LOT of time on my hands between tests in my computer lab, I like to research and find deals. Others have to work much harder for their 3 new cars, and I respect that, they make good money, they find their value in the peace of mind of buying from a US vendor and that's great. It's just 2 different ways of looking at it. I wish they would respect what I find value in with my more time than money, it's kind of a matter of principal to me, not that I'm dirt poor and can't pay for a repair, I simply can have more toys if I carefully research and find they very best deal possible while weighing the possible negatives.

Anyway, I guess I kind of insulted people some by going out of my way to show how cheap I am when there are great vendors that deserve support with the service they provide us. Whoosh and Pwnall are VERY active in the community as actual enthusiasts and your classy reply just shows how you are a true enthusiast first! Cheers! :)
I get where you are at, pretty sure there are some comments in there for me. Lol Not that I took offense to anything I’ve lost plenty of money switching out cars and wives frequently (ADD is evil mistress). :) It just gets me a little riled up when good vendors loose out to chinese clones and such. From counterfeit Gibson guitars (this one really burns me) to counterfeit ICs (huge issue in my industry) there is a lot of sketchy stuff out there.

I hope it works out for you if you go with the direct China route. Make sure they send you pics of the actual item you are purchasing as I have heard stories of getting something completely different (Chibson guitars).

P.S. forgot to give you credit for having the patience to wait for items from China. If I can’t get it in a few days I start to loose interest (Squirrel).

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Sounds like you need to find a new employer or even a new career! if you do go this route let us know how it goes. I know from personal exp that ordering from china can be a PIA if you need to return a defective product....others just sent me a new product no questions asked. So id say its hit or miss with anything from china at this point. Good luck! [wrenchin]
Thank man! I'm actually hopefully starting a new job soon doing what I love that pays a little better AND with awesome benefits as a state employee! :)

But yeah, AliExpress has ratings of their sellers and this shop has been on there for almost 10 years with a 99% satisfaction rate, I think I should be OK, I'll let you guys know how it works out and be sure to check for loose material inside before I install and hold them to a quality product.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Problem with that is, there WAS a time when only the more expensive inter-coolers were available - except, I don't think too many people were buying them. So, if there was a tariff on imports and suddenly inter-cooler (regardless of origin) prices went up, you'd have less demand again. For me personally, I wouldn't want to spend $500+ on it. I doubt I'm alone in that.

Not to derail the topic - OP, the only way for one to tell is to have both inter-coolers. I don't think you'll find many members who can claim they do. So, if you're really in the market, you should just go for the one in the link you provided. Remember, there was a time when Depo and Whoosh inter-coolers were the cheaper and the unknown. Somebody took a chance on them. Then more people did. And more. At some point, they were no longer considered the unknown. Does that mean everyone should only buy from known vendors? If that were the case, Depo and Whoosh wouldn't have sold as many as they have. Point is, it's your car and your money. You shouldn't have to apologize to anyone for not wanting to spend more than you're willing. It seems that you did your research - just gotta execute.

DEss
Very well said! Thanks for encouraging words!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I get where you are at, pretty sure there are some comments in there for me. Lol Not that I took offense to anything I’ve lost plenty of money switching out cars and wives frequently (ADD is evil mistress). :) It just gets me a little riled up when good vendors loose out to chinese clones and such. From counterfeit Gibson guitars (this one really burns me) to counterfeit ICs (huge issue in my industry) there is a lot of sketchy stuff out there.

I hope it works out for you if you go with the direct China route. Make sure they send you pics of the actual item you are purchasing as I have heard stories of getting something completely different (Chibson guitars).

P.S. forgot to give you credit for having the patience to wait for items from China. If I can’t get it in a few days I start to loose interest (Squirrel).
Thanks man, always appreciate the input when it's done with genuine concern, even if we don't agree 100%. This vendor has been on AliExpress for almost 10 years I think and has a 99% satisfaction rate, and plenty of encouraging words that show that they will take care of me rather than risk their rating, which is good they are held to quality standards! Also, with the description and photos provided it looks like it's made right around the actual Garrett core used for the name brand ones, I'll be sure to inspect carefully before I install and hold them to providing a quality product.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Well maybe if the American company I worked for supported me more in the first place with better pay, then I could afford to pay the markup to a US vendor for the same Chinese made intercooler in the first place... Cobb/Whoosh/Depo/Cobb all literally use the same manufacturer in China anyway, I'm just cutting out the middle-man by willing to wait 3 weeks for it to come. This one isn't that design, but it's the same Garrett core used on the $600+ ATP. Trust me, I did't buy a Ford for no reason, I support American stuff too, even when it's designed in Germany, engine and trans come from the UK and assembled in Mexico. :) Point being, it's a world economy now, I'm paid world-economy money, China is the worlds manufacturer, and I simply found a way to make my hard earned dollars stretch further... Now when I get my union job with the state, I'll probably have my leeway in choosing US based vendors, hopefully more US made products! Just to explain my stance further when like you said, I can do whatever I want anyway, I respect your take as well!