Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any issues with carbon deposits on intake valves?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
CP-E quoted me $500 to walnut blast all the valves, they are down in Maryland.

The problem is that they are supposedly moving MUCH further SOUTH in the near future, so that walnut blasting will most likely necessitate at least an overnight stay added cost to that $500.00, for us who were within that one day range of them when they were in the Baltimore area. [:(]

I take the video with a grain of salt, since it's lab measured, but only for a 20 hour wear test.
Really? Aren't you the same dude whose 'performance' testing consists mainly of what you feel with your ass?!?

DEss

OP
M
Thread Starter #25
Yeah, it's quite some effort.

This link here shows a nice overview of the Ford Ecoboost engines, our 1.6 liter included.
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/dissecting-fords-ecoboost-engine/

Most people recommend installing a pcv oil catch can. It might prevent some crankcase oil from reaching the valves, but can't stop the valve seals from leaking oil and having it baked on.
I presume that it'll reduce the amount of carbon deposit on the intake valves.
At some point, we'll have to bring in the car, and have it either walnut or sodablasted off; or, for some sort of chemical carbon removal procedure, that's like $800-1200 expensive, and that not all mechanics do!

The below website was mentioning cars coming in the shop starting from 60k miles, with carbon buildup.
The sign seems to be rough idle, gradually lower MPG and HP over time, misfires, ....
http://automotiverepairphoenix.com/walnut-blasting-and-carbon-build-up-removal/

I'd like to know what they use to remove carbon buildup. I doubt it's going to be hydroperoxide...

dmb

10K miles on audi's? how could anyone stay in business? even at 50k in the 80's the junk yards were filled with new looking Hyundai's all stacked tall, mazda's and vega's in the 70's. and they were cheep azz car's oh!oh! are we next?

OP
M
Thread Starter #27
Ford doesn't recommend the spray stuff. They cite higher exhaust temperatures harming the turbo from the engine burning the chemicals. At this point, I think saving up a bit of cash for a good walnut blast would be the best bet. (Though they also don't recommend media blasting...)
You mean spraying the stuff in the air intake box (passing through the turbo), or spraying the stuff directly in the air intake?

=================

Found an owner of a Focus ST (2.0 liter turbo engine).
Same principle, a bit larger engine, but he found significant buildup after only 25k miles on 2 valves, and minimal buildup on the rest:

[video=youtube;lFnFIuSwdbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFnFIuSwdbU[/video]

Btw, according to the science guys, H2O2 doesn't do anything to carbon removal.
It needs to be paired with some sort of acid, before it can take an effect.

So, from the information I've gathered, I'd say after about 50k miles, take the intake manifold off, and spray all intakes, with valve carbon cleaner.

Anyone has any experience with:
- Liqui-Moly Valve Clean
- CRC 05319 Intake Valve Cleaner
or even
- Carbon-Off! Carbon Remover , a product for kitchen pans?
It came up in Google as carbon remover for valves?[paranoid]

Once the gooey is loosened up, either vacuum it out, or flush it out, and dry.
Then remount manifold, and start the car.
Some websites swear by just injecting water in the air intake.
Not sure if it's a good idea.

I'm just kind of worried about the whole thing ruining my engine in the long run.

KKaWing

Ford basically says the intake cleaner stuff burns hotter and can damage the turbo, so anything that gets sprayed in while engine is running.

Ford basically says the intake cleaner stuff burns hotter and can damage the turbo, so anything that gets sprayed in while engine is running.
Yea I was looking at spraying some kind of valve cleaning fluid down the throttle body but as you said ford says it can make chunks come off and damage the turbo or burn the cat also.. [emoji58]

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

But why no videos on a Fiesta ST engine with the intake manifold off...?? I feel that the Focus ST must suffer from this problem more...

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

I didn't want to take a chance so I installed a Damond Motorsports OCC at 400 miles. Before I bought it I asked the service manager at my local Ford dealer if it would void my warranty and smiled and told my no. He commented that he wants customers to do that to minimize any potential warranty claims. lol

OP
M
Thread Starter #33
I doubt this is the case with water vapor, as water cools down both turbo, intercooler, and engine.

However, I've seen videos of water injection at the turbo input, wrecking havoc with the blades.
[video=youtube;rhMWI0I8cSA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhMWI0I8cSA[/video]

I guess the guy wasn't using water vapor, but injected streams of water in the engine with something like a spray bottle or so.

Steam is the best thing, but it needs to be close to ambient air temperature.

Water drops need to be as small as possible passing the turbo.

another option is inject some water post turbo, pre-intercooler, and run the engine at low RPM high loads.
Perhaps best done when the engine is still hot, and injected through the turbo blades (with the engine off).

Problem there is gulps of water can enter the engine air intake, and damage the engine...
Not sure if there's any easier way to do this, than to just take off the intake manifold and spray carbon cleaner.
I would think any grill degreaser would work fine, as it's composition is just baked on oil and carbon.

I now have 25k miles on my engine, and sometimes notice the RPMs drop below 700RPM when letting go of the throttle, clutch depressed (or neutral).

KKaWing

Ahh, by anything I meant the solvents and stuff not water. Water injection helps, meth even better, still no substitute for gasoline port injection though.

OP
M
Thread Starter #35
Here's a vid from Shouty Kilmer on a Ford (I think a Focus with Ecoboost 2.0).

[video=youtube;cP7D-5iQcNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7D-5iQcNo[/video]

I was thinking, do our cars rout the crankcase oil to the air intake?
Because we have a turbo car, and thus, basically no vacuum after the turbo.
It would just blow all the crankcase oil back out.
The only way to get any residual oil in there, is by injecting it before the turbo, and I'm quite sure, oil is not injected before the turbo.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Here's a vid from Shouty Kilmer on a Ford (I think a Focus with Ecoboost 2.0).

[video=youtube;cP7D-5iQcNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7D-5iQcNo[/video]

I was thinking, do our cars rout the crankcase oil to the air intake?
Because we have a turbo car, and thus, basically no vacuum after the turbo.
It would just blow all the crankcase oil back out.
The only way to get any residual oil in there, is by injecting it before the turbo, and I'm quite sure, oil is not injected before the turbo.
There's a check valve to stop boost pressure. There's a diagram of the pcv system here somewhere.