Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

jeff

2000 Post Club
War? Ha, no. I have no issues with him or anyone else. He has contributed immensely to this forum, and that is wholeheartedly appreciated. I have benefited personally from it. But that's not to say that there can't be a difference of opinion. And I'm not saying I disagree with him persay. Having a healthy (respectful) dialogue is good I think.
It was a joke my friend. Just referencing a quote from a great movie.

Aaron is a solid guy.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yes, I am very familiar with your posts, but want to get other experiences to compare. What one dealer does (or does not do) can (and usually does) differ.
You should probably take the time to notice that it's a TSB, which has nothing to do with what a "dealer" says... Now, the TSB is referring to the 1st-2nd gear clunk but Ford tech's have confirmed before that part of it is filling trans at 2L to prevent prob from happening again.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
You should probably take the time to notice that it's a TSB, which has nothing to do with what a "dealer" says... Now, the TSB is referring to the 1st-2nd gear clunk but Ford tech's have confirmed before that part of it is filling trans at 2L to prevent prob from happening again.
What's the TSB and quote? Is this the loud clack noise on clutch release or something different? Fluid made no difference for that noise. I'm reasonably sure that this is the dual-mass flywheel. Fluid did have in impact on the clickity clackity shifting noises... not that I had any reason to be concerned about that.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
IIRC, he drained out the Ford stuff soon after he got the replacement trans installed and filled it with Motul 300 (later swapped for the ravenol mtf-2). Said drained fluid measured out to 2L. (I have read every thread on here (and on the .net, .org and reddit about trans fluid).

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
IIRC, he drained out the Ford stuff soon after he got the replacement trans installed and filled it with Motul 300 (later swapped for the ravenol mtf-2). Said drained fluid measured out to 2L. (I have read every thread on here (and on the .net, .org and reddit about trans fluid).
I've not ever utilized Motul....just Ravenol if you are referring to me...[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Yep, read that along the way. I did see the actual tsb somewhere about the gear/axle clunk, although it does not mention refilling to 2L.
I would also like to mention that even if it does say in a tsb to add more fluid than the original spec amount, that doesnt mean it is necessarily is "righting a wrong" on spec amounts, but more of a way to help Ford mask an issue.
Why do I say that? Why am I suspicious?...mostly because they never revised the suppliment to reflect it. And they are not steadfast on the supplement, they love revising it (like when they deleted the 5w30 part out of the 2017 one).

That being said, my refill will have a FULL 2 liters [emoji106]

FWIW my favorite vendor for our platform and Fiesta ST expert Whoosh Motorsports suggests just simply putting 2 quarts in the trans. This combined with the fact that our trans is vented and cannot be over pressurized means the extra ~.2 liters (if you follow the 1.67L fill in the manual in question) is really not going to hurt anything. So just change to any in-spec fluid (if you’re worried about warranty) and enjoy. Or others that people here have suggested if you don’t care about your warranty like most of us that put tons of warranty voiding parts on our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
FWIW my favorite vendor for our platform and Fiesta ST expert Whoosh Motorsports suggests just simply putting 2 quarts in the trans. This combined with the fact that our trans is vented and cannot be over pressurized means the extra ~.2 liters (if you follow the 1.67L fill in the manual in question) is really not going to hurt anything. So just change to any in-spec fluid (if you’re worried about warranty) and enjoy. Or others that people here have suggested if you don’t care about your warranty like most of us that put tons of warranty voiding parts on our cars.
Woosh said "2 quarts", which equals 1.893 liters. [emoji851] Haha! But yes, same thing.
I agree, the extra .33 liter will not be an issue.

As for modding, I had a 2017 wrx (bought new) & had a cobb ap (stage 1, ots 91 tune). Never slept well after that, lol. Every engine noise I heard made me worry about the warranty (flashed it a bunch between the 91 & 93 tune, which makes it obvious ro Subaru). I recognize my neurosis.

Btw, I liked the power the wrx had, I tuned it to eliminate the rev hang.

Same with the FiST, I love the power it has, I'm crazy enough with stock power, lol. My goal is to do whatever needs to be done to keep it going for as long as possible.

Woosh said "2 quarts", which equals 1.893 liters. [emoji851] Haha! But yes, same thing.
I agree, the extra .33 liter will not be an issue.

As for modding, I had a 2017 wrx (bought new) & had a cobb ap (stage 1, ots 91 tune). Never slept well after that, lol. Every engine noise I heard made me worry about the warranty (I recognize my neurosis).

Btw, I liked the power the wrx had, I tuned it to eliminate the rev hang.

Same with the FiST, I love the power it has, I'm crazy enough with stock power, lol. My goal is to do whatever needs to be done to keep it going for as long as possible.
I was using the service manual as a reference. 1.893L minus the 1.67L listed would be .223L, I work down to the UL level and below at work everyday but I’m also tipsy atm :) but I hear you with the warranty, it’s much smarter to stay within it. Most of us are far too impatient unfortunately haha

danbfree

3000 Post Club
What's the TSB and quote? Is this the loud clack noise on clutch release or something different? Fluid made no difference for that noise. I'm reasonably sure that this is the dual-mass flywheel. Fluid did have in impact on the clickity clackity shifting noises... not that I had any reason to be concerned about that.
Yes, you are talking about 2 different things, the TSB is replacing the half shafts and filling to 2L for the 1st-2nd clunk, not about the inherent clack of the dual mass flywheel. I just searched for TSB's myself, feel free to look it up yourself, if all of us here are saying it has helped with shifting noise and shifting smoothness along with Ford tech's themselves are confirming this then not sure why people continue to just be a bunch of doubters. Also, the same transmission in other applications actually calls for 2.1L, sounds like a mistake to me, don't really care, I have 2L now, much better, problem solved, no need to doubt and discuss any further.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I was using the service manual as a reference. 1.893L minus the 1.67L listed would be .223L, I work down to the UL level and below at work everyday but I’m also tipsy atm :) but I hear you with the warranty, it’s much smarter to stay within it. Most of us are far too impatient unfortunately haha

The .33L is in reference to the difference between the spec 1.67L and the 2L that peeps have been putting in (discussed a few posts up), my bad.
But if I bought Ford's dct fluid, I would be making sure to add that .223L (since they sell it by the quart) to get up to the 2L "overfill". I agree with danbfree and others on that for sure.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yep, read that along the way. I did see the actual tsb somewhere about the gear/axle clunk, although it does not mention refilling to 2L.
I would also like to mention that even if it does say in a tsb to add more fluid than the original spec amount, that doesnt mean it is necessarily is "righting a wrong" on spec amounts, but more of a way to help Ford mask an issue.
Why do I say that? Why am I suspicious?...mostly because they never revised the suppliment to reflect it. And they are not steadfast on the supplement, they love revising it (like when they deleted the 5w30 part out of the 2017 one).

That being said, my refill will have a FULL 2 liters [emoji106]
I'm sure they don't want to admit something that big of a mistake and would rather just deal with the problem as it comes up, I just know the trans feels so much better there is no other way that 2L isn't what it's supposed to be, in fact the same exact trans calls for 2.1L in other cars, they may have thought 1.67 was enough for 0.1 MPG better mileage or something, I don't really care, I just know I put in amount that it really should have had all along.

Intuit

3000 Post Club

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I was the one to initially point all this out.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/10447-Transmission-fluid-change?p=297012&viewfull=1#post297012
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/16881-Transmission-Fluid-Change?p=318181&viewfull=1#post318181

My asking TyphoonFist for evidence was with regard the excerpted quote BTW. Still no evidence thus far.
Oh, I saw/read those threads. But you mentioned the IB5 as spec'ing 2.1L, which is a different trans.
I thought danbfree was saying that a different car had the same trans (IB6/B6) as us, but had a different spec amount (the aforementioned 2.1L). I got excited for the new findings.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account