Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MAP exhaust drone

Hopefully the new clamp and pipe will fix the issue. I just did a resonator delete instead. Exactly what I was looking for...little more sound and some crackle on low speed decel. I should've done this in the first place but I really didn't lose much money on my MAP purchase.

I should vouch for MAPs customer service. I had a issue with my charge pipe order and they took care of it quickly and professionally. Plus, the quality of the intercooler and pipes was top notch. There's another thread about the 2jr intercooler that shows how terrible customer service can be. Let's all praise God companies like MAP exist that actually solve customer complaints.

I was going to get the downpipe and exhaust from MAP, but the talk of drone scares me.

For what it's worth I got mine delivered yesterday and installed today. I love it! I've read the thread and understand things go wrong, from my experience it sounds like you were sadly the one that had issues. I hope it gets taken care of for you. The build quality seemed top notch, install was easy, and no drone anywhere 80 or below. I didn't go faster than 80 yet nor would I on any regular basis. Again, hope yours gets taken car of, but also hope others considering it still keep it as a great option for our cars.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #44
I was planning to work on it last night but something came up. The drone happens at exactly 3500. Funny thing is I drove a few hundred miles today with the kids and my daughter says, "my ears hurt!" I burst out laughing. "don't worry sweety I'll replace the pipe tomorrow" lol just when I thought I was getting used to it

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #46
The deed is done. The pics show the oval in the old pipe was damn near identical to the new pipe. The new pipe was about 3 tenths smaller so I used it. New is always better right? ;)

It was difficult to judge last night as it was raining and everywhere I drove was like a funeral procession. My morning commute doesn't exactly present opportunities to really get on it or play too much with varying rpm. I'll reserve final judgements for tonight. I hope to go to an ST meet after work which will be all highway to get there.

I will say that at first blush I think the drone has been reduced. I'm hesitant to say it's gone. I'm finding it rises and calms much quicker where before it would linger. I also noticed I didn't spend as much time actively trying to avoid that spot in rpm range. So let me drive it a bit more tonight to be sure. I made some crude audio recordings with my cell this morning that I'll try to share when I get into work.

It's strange for me to read about these drones some people have experienced. I've had the MAP exhaust on my car for about 3000 miles now, drove it out to Carlisle (~2000 of those miles). I've put the car through the paces and the exhaust still sounds great and I have no drone. Not saying you're full of it, just letting others know that not every exhaust has this drone. The one constant I've had is working with [MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION] has always been awesome regardless of situation.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #48
GO STRAIGHT TO BOTTOM FOR LINKS AUDIO RECORDINGS
[MENTION=952]frankiefiesta[/MENTION] Would u mind adding your impressions from when you drove it a couple nights ago?

After a couple of days with the new mid pipe and clamp, I can comfortably say the system is much quieter now. I don't get the "head in a vice" pressure i used to get before swapping the mid pipe. It's a very noticeable improvement! I no longer regret my purchase at all. And no more puddles forming under my exhaust!

I read through the giant exhaust thread on the forum and a couple of guys made an excellent point...this car does get louder between 3400 - 3600 rpm. It's a very small window but even stock it's noticeable. The MAP exhaust amplifies this because its tone is so deep. It's the nature of the engine in combination with the deep frequency of this system that excacerbates the natural tendency of the car to get droney at said rpm range.

Before i swapped the new mid pipe, the insane booooooommmmmmm would last a good 3 or 4 seconds. Now it's quieter and lasts only 1 or maybe 2 seconds. An acceptably small trade off for the otherwise syrupy, deep mellow note I can't get enough of. I didn't want MBRP type of loud raspy popping. This is the "Gentlemen's exhaust" that still makes a statement when called upon :) You should see people's faces as i approach. "That lil shit is making THAT sound?!" kinda face. lol Never gets old.

I want to point out that even before the swap, this system NEVER droned on the highway. Cruising at about 85 and spinning just around 3200 in 6th the system is only a bit louder than stock. At legal speeds, it's damn near whisper quiet. The drone occurrence is isolated to acceleration/deceleration through ONLY that small rpm window. I'd happily drive cross country with it!

Links to audio recordings made from my phone mounted on the windshield. Not the most scientific but gives you SOME idea of how it sounds. Due to the deep tone of this exhaust i highly recommend listening to the recordings through speakers or headphones with good bass reproduction. Speaker phones won't cut it.

Just random street acceleration pulls. No commentary.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Qm4LM4RI9c

http://vocaroo.com/i/s18cOg8dwVGW

Highway pulls with commentary:

At about 9 seconds I begin accelerating from 80 mph hitting 95 at about the 18 second mark and cruising for the remainder of the audio
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0iROz30Niah

Cruising at about 60 mph then drop down the 4th and accelerate to drone-ish rpm range then back down to quiet non-drown rpm.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lihFnhNZ4C

Intentionally holding the droney rpm at about 95mph then back down to 80
http://vocaroo.com/i/s075E1UKb6iP

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
lilpartybox and I each drove each other's cars when we met at the meet a few nights ago. I wanted him to see what the cyborg was like, and I wanted to see how his car felt with all the top notch suspension mods he's done.

The cat back on his car had a nice, deep tone. Not overbearing either. You could carry on a conversation in the car, but also heard the low rumbles of the exhaust. I thought it was a really nice sounding exhaust. Quieter than my injen and another FiST that had a MBRP catback, but not in a bad way. You could hear it, but it wasn't obnoxious or Ricey. I would recommend it

I read the post and tried to recreate a audible drone at the 3400 to 3600 range with my stock exhaust. I didn't notice any extra noise.

Maybe it's because I deadened the hell out of my car.

AzNightmare

Would you recommend this exhaust for city driving though, where you avg 35-40 mph on a daily commute at around 2000-3000 rpm?

Most people in here have been talking about droning at 80-90 highway driving...

What I'm worried about is it sounding like stock in the 2000-3000 rpm range in the city.
I don't want to feel like I need to push it hard just to hear sound every time, otherwise my mpg will take a deeper dive than it already is.

Would you recommend this exhaust for city driving though, where you avg 35-40 mph on a daily commute at around 2000-3000 rpm?

What I'm worried about is it sounding like stock in the 2000-3000 rpm range in the city.
I don't want to feel like I need to push it hard just to hear sound every time, otherwise my mpg will take a deeper dive than it already is.
I have no issues whatsoever with daily driving. (Now at 4000 miles on exhaust)

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #53
Agreed. My morning commute is not an issue at all. Listen to the first two audio links i posted. I made them during my morning commute.

Zissou

I have no droning issues, especially driving around town.

At the same time, I still get plenty of burbles / pops. Not stock sounding at all - it's considerably louder. Granted I have a Cobb downpipe which adds burbles, but I don't think it makes the exhaust noise much louder. My coworkers have commented that they can hear me driving through the parking deck. Above 3500 rpm is where it starts to get really loud. I'll be deleting the sound symposer soon as that thing is just annoying now.

AzNightmare

Did any of you compare this with someone who has a COBB exhaust?
COBB or MAP are the two front runners on my list... (I'm keeping oem DP)

I'm not so worried about drone in the city. I was more concerned of it sounding like stock until I step on it, which I hardly get to in the city unless it's night time. lol

MPA

There's a little rumble when you're driving "as normal", but it's nothing insane.

I have 9k on my exhaust, and love it
[video=youtube;H2S-WI_rtF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2S-WI_rtF0[/video]

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #57
Did any of you compare this with someone who has a COBB exhaust?
COBB or MAP are the two front runners on my list... (I'm keeping oem DP)

I'm not so worried about drone in the city. I was more concerned of it sounding like stock until I step on it, which I hardly get to in the city unless it's night time. lol
There's no doubt that there's an aftermarket exhaust on the car. It's louder than stock when just cruisin around but not obnoxious about it. I posted sound clips from inside the car a page or so back.