Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Key shaped dummy light

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
A key shaped warning light appeared in my cluster on my home today. Car starts and locks normally.

I'm assuming my key needs a battery but I can't confirm that. The owner's manual doesn't have any info. I checked pgs 79-81 for the instrument cluster and all of the dummy lights are there except this one. Checked pg 45 for the key and nothing. Anyone know what this light actually is?

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #2
changed the battery and light still there!

Take it to an auto store and see if they can bring up a code?
That honestly looked like a wrench light almost but I've had neither :p

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
yea the more I look at it... it's a wrench. do we have a maintenance alert?

I scanned for codes already. none... I'll keep digging through the manual later tonight.

AL=x

I can't say what that light means but FWIW when my key needed a new battery the car informed me through the infotainment screen and not by the cluster/gauges. Good luck

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
thanks all! once skidro87 pointed out it was a wrench I vaguely remembered the thread you dug up [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION]. very sorry for not being more proactive!

After a few failed tries, I used a slightly different procedure than what was in that thread but it finally went out. you can erase this thread CG

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
thanks all! once skidro87 pointed out it was a wrench I vaguely remembered the thread you dug up [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION]. very sorry for not being more proactive!

After a few failed tries, I used a slightly different procedure than what was in that thread but it finally went out. you can erase this thread CG
Bah leave it . It's the first time I heard of the key icon light. If other search for that they find this thread. LOL.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #10
Well in that case :)

1. press and hold both brake and gas together
  2. tap the start button
  3. the wrench will blink a few times then disappear. once the wrench disappears, the check engine light begins to blink.
  4. wait until the check engine light stops blinking
  5. press the start button to shut things off
  6. now release the gas and brake
  7. start the car....wrench (key :p) gone
Edit 2021: Flipped steps 1 and 2. Also, numbers 3 & 4 didn't happen for me this time.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Someone says it comes on every 10,000 miles. Will the above procedure *PROACTIVELY* prevent this light from coming on? I'd like to reset after every oil change and I do them all myself, ~every 3k. The vehicle probably maintains a history on this and last thing I want is some dealer checking that history and thinking the oil is seldom or never changed. (not that I'll need it, but this is grounds for voiding warranty repair) I tried the procedure outlined in the owner's manual (no oil/wrench light) however I never see any indication that anything is happening.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #13
I was around 10,200 when it came on. I doubt performing the reset without the wrench will do anything. I'll let you know in 10k miles ;)

I'm about to hit 20k and I've never had the maintenance light come on, lol.
you pull the dash and replace that light bulb immediately. totally worth it

Mine came on at 10,250 I think it was. Kind of an odd number for it. By that point I had already done two oil changes (every 5k). Useless for me. I'm just going to reset it when it comes on.