Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coilovers (or a suspension setup) that doesn'tt pound you in the butt

I read some time ago that the bilstein coilovers actually provide a pretty significant improvement in ride quality while improving handling. I was wondering if this is true and if there are any other options. The stock suspension in our cars is incredibly harsh. My Friend's E36 with coilovers doesn't ride quite as harsh as our cars do.

OP
J
Thread Starter #2
not looking for stancenation stuff and don't want the complexity that comes with a air suspension setup. Just something that will improve handling and ride better.

The PSS kit will do what you want. I have not seen a lot of reviews but for the money you can't go wrong. The other favorite would be MeisterR's, they add adjustability for a little bit more coin but still a great value.

I'm curious what you go with and what your review might look like once you have driven it a while. My upgrade is far off, but the MeisterRs are currently top of my list.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Ive been running the MeisterR's for a few months and no regrets and they ride and handle as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I switched to the BC Racing coilovers I noticed a huge difference in ride quality from stock. On the street I usually have the dampers set in the middle and am comfortable.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Another vote for MeisterR. I've run the PSS kit on another car and enjoyed it as well. I chose MRs for the adjustable dampening.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that almost any quality coilover setup(meister, bilstein, bc, fortune auto, MCS, etc) will ride better than stock on these cars.
That being said, you may not need to go all the way to a full coilover setup to achieve what you're after here. A good quality replacement shock/strut will more than likely help what you're describing. Whether it's the Bilstein off the shelf replacement shocks, a set of Koni sport shocks, or something similar(I'm waiting for Sachs to come out with something for us, love the way those work on most cars on the street).
If you're set on buying coilovers for the car, I'm not going to stand in your way. But if all you're trying to do is make it ride a bit better, a set of shocks/struts may be a cheaper way to achieve the same goals.

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
Anyone recommend any vendors for either choice ? If i can get more adjustability, tophates/camber plates and still not suffer in ride quality i'd rather go that route. I am not really going for a slammed look, i just need to address the ride quality issue while not sacrificing performance/handling its just really harsh as is.

OP
J
Thread Starter #11
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that almost any quality coilover setup(meister, bilstein, bc, fortune auto, MCS, etc) will ride better than stock on these cars.
That being said, you may not need to go all the way to a full coilover setup to achieve what you're after here. A good quality replacement shock/strut will more than likely help what you're describing. Whether it's the Bilstein off the shelf replacement shocks, a set of Koni sport shocks, or something similar(I'm waiting for Sachs to come out with something for us, love the way those work on most cars on the street).
If you're set on buying coilovers for the car, I'm not going to stand in your way. But if all you're trying to do is make it ride a bit better, a set of shocks/struts may be a cheaper way to achieve the same goals.
True, I realize that however, i feel like if i am going to go through this much work, i am going to want to do this once. Now that I thnk about it i am narrowing things down to adjustable dampening as well as rideheight, i like KW's but every car i've ridden in (in the past - this does not include Fiesta ST's) was very stiff.

MeisterR

Vendor
The main thing with suspension is that they have to be specified correctly.
More so for a fast road & track car because it require the suspension to provide compliancy so you retain a good level of comfort and traction over uneven road surfaces; but have the adjustment available to provide sharp response.

I know the MeisterR ZetaCRD+ will do a great job, the MeisterR GT1 will do a even better job.
But it will depend on your budget as well as what you are after.

You can always pay more money for more advanced suspension (note: more advanced do not always mean better).
The key is to make sure the suspension supplier know what you want, and provide you with the correct specification to achieve what you want.
Having the technical expertise is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to designing a good suspension. :)

Jerrick