Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FORD: Americas Dumbest company?

Dumbest company? No, simply a business gamble. However, I do agree with the Hooniverse podcast on this subject. The first sign of a dip down in the economy and a good portion of those who bought a little too much car for their budget will want to offload that loan for something a little more financially feasible. In my opinion it's more of a risk to the consumer than the company.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
This is a little off-topic, but it's definitely dumb in my opinion: I ordered a magnetic oil drain plug from Mountune. I ordered the FiST part and they accidentally sent me the FoST part. Two different parts? Yes, the FoST part was smaller, different threads, wouldn't work. Can't Ford standardize something as simple as an oil drain plug?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Dumbest company? No, simply a business gamble. However, I do agree with the Hooniverse podcast on this subject. The first sign of a dip down in the economy and a good portion of those who bought a little too much car for their budget will want to offload that loan for something a little more financially feasible. In my opinion it's more of a risk to the consumer than the company.
It's a risk to the consumer because the company has already made the final sell. The cars are still being manufactured. They're just not manufactured and sold here. So in the inevitable event of another market shift, they have the option to (not so simply) start importing them.

Does it seem as though some other higher reputation manufacturers care more about what happens to the* vehicle after the sale, maybe warranty period?

* (not "your" vehicle, just "the")

This is a little off-topic, but it's definitely dumb in my opinion: I ordered a magnetic oil drain plug from Mountune. I ordered the FiST part and they accidentally sent me the FoST part. Two different parts? Yes, the FoST part was smaller, different threads, wouldn't work. Can't Ford standardize something as simple as an oil drain plug?
It's a different engine, but agree none the less. Something as simple as an oil drain plug should easily be standardized across engines with similar specification oil pan fill capacity.

Sounds like the dopes are Mountune.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Sounds like the dopes are Mountune.
Mountune made a one-time shipping error. Ford made a design/logistics error that's been repeated for every Focus or Fiesta that's rolled off the assembly line. Mountune's mistake is understandable; Ford's mistake is a head scratcher [scratch]

If anybody in the Bay Area (esp. Walnut Creek) has a FoST and wants a Mountune plug, PM me.

Last edited:
I understand the point you’re making and I have never change the oil on any model Focus. But keep in mind that some oil pans are cast aluminum while others are stamped steel and others may be made of other materials. In addition, as time goes by there are engineering improvements built into new designs. The FiST is the first car I’ve owned with a captured rubber seal in the drain plug. Most cars use crush washers and lots of bikes use captured traditional o-rings. Every single aspect of a motor’s design is a balance between performance and cost. When the second of the 2 engines was designed, the Ford engineers had good reason not to use what they already had in the parts bin.